Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default silicone baking mat for roling roti

Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
mat? This lady uses it:
Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjula
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_...eature=channel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 2:10*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> mat? This lady uses it:
> Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjulahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_Lmy6bU&feature=channel

I just scanned that post, I didn't read it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> mat? This lady uses it:
> Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjula
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_...eature=channel

I've never made them before (now I want to!) but I would have to
guess the silicone mat helps the roti stay in place while you roll
them as opposed to just a floured board where they would slide
around. I think you need to limit how much flour is added during the
rolling. The silicone has a sort of stickiness, the dough would
grip to without gettting stuck.

Plus, you will notice she has a tiled counter which requires her to
use something to roll them.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 1:04*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
> > Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> > mat? This lady uses it:
> > Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjula
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_...eature=channel

> I've never made them before (now I want to!) but I would have to
> guess the silicone mat helps the roti stay in place while you roll
> them as opposed to just a floured board where they would slide
> around. I think you need to limit how much flour is added during the
> rolling. *The silicone has a sort of stickiness, the dough would
> grip to without gettting stuck.
>
> Plus, you will notice she has a tiled counter which requires her to
> use something to roll them.
>
> -Tracy

Yeah, I do notice that she has a tile counter. I am not sure about
the flour board sliding around as much as sticking if not enough
flour is used. So I think the benefit might be the limit on flour used
during rolling. Too much use would make the roti be a bit hard. I
made a few last summer. It was a bit harder than I'd like. So, I
guess I should get the silicone baking mat she has. I wonder what size
she got. Does it look like 9in x12 in to you? It's at about 2:20 mins
into the video.

Here is another video of roti by a different person. Roti is also
called Chapati in different dialect in India and Pakistan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ7M...eature=channel

In this manjula video of 2009 - the first one of her (roti), is 2007,
she is using wood board: Paratha (Indian Flatbread) Recipe by Manjula
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcVlGze5lQ

If you like roti with layers, look at this one called parathas. She
made it a lot healthier than the one I have had which was full of oil
and butter in the making process and alos ith all purpose flour.

If you like it it with potato filling, this one is by the lady
"Manjula". And she is using the baking mat to roll Paratha
Aloo Parathas Recipe by Manjula,Indian Vegetarian Gourmet -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqZl...eature=related

Aloo Parathas by vahchef; he mined every ingredient of the filling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3dY...eature=channel

Meat Paratha by vahchef: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyoF...eature=related

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
On Jul 13, 1:04 pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
> > Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> > mat? This lady uses it:
> > Roti, Chapati (Flat Indian Bread) Recipe by Manjula
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_...eature=channel

> I've never made them before (now I want to!) but I would have to
> guess the silicone mat helps the roti stay in place while you roll
> them as opposed to just a floured board where they would slide
> around. I think you need to limit how much flour is added during the
> rolling. The silicone has a sort of stickiness, the dough would
> grip to without gettting stuck.
>
> Plus, you will notice she has a tiled counter which requires her to
> use something to roll them.
>
> -Tracy

Yeah, I do notice that she has a tile counter. I am not sure about
the flour board sliding around as much as sticking if not enough
flour is used. So I think the benefit might be the limit on flour used
during rolling. Too much use would make the roti be a bit hard. I
made a few last summer. It was a bit harder than I'd like. So, I
guess I should get the silicone baking mat she has. I wonder what size
she got. Does it look like 9in x12 in to you? It's at about 2:20 mins
into the video.

Here is another video of roti by a different person. Roti is also
called Chapati in different dialect in India and Pakistan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ7M...eature=channel

In this manjula video of 2009 - the first one of her (roti), is 2007,
she is using wood board: Paratha (Indian Flatbread) Recipe by Manjula
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUcVlGze5lQ

If you like roti with layers, look at this one called parathas. She
made it a lot healthier than the one I have had which was full of oil
and butter in the making process and alos ith all purpose flour.

If you like it it with potato filling, this one is by the lady
"Manjula". And she is using the baking mat to roll Paratha
Aloo Parathas Recipe by Manjula,Indian Vegetarian Gourmet -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqZl...eature=related

Aloo Parathas by vahchef; he mined every ingredient of the filling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV3dY...eature=channel

Meat Paratha by vahchef:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyoF...eature=related

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx replied to amandaF:

>> Roti is also called Chapati in different dialect in India and Pakistan

> Roti and chapati, while sometimes used interchangeably, are not "different
> dialects". Roti means bread and usually refers to unleavened bread, of
> which chapati is a specific type.

You'll have to forgive amandaF. "Indian" is not her native language.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
>mat?

Yes, possibly maybe not. On second thought, no or maybe yes, or not.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>
> >Do you think it'd be less sticky or not sticky to use silicone baking
> >mat?

> Yes, possibly maybe not. On second thought, no or maybe yes, or not.
>
> Ross.

My sister sure likes hers for making bread!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Jinx replied to amandaF:
>
>>> Roti is also called Chapati in different dialect in India and Pakistan

>> Roti and chapati, while sometimes used interchangeably, are not
>> "different
>> dialects". Roti means bread and usually refers to unleavened bread, of
>> which chapati is a specific type.

> You'll have to forgive amandaF. "Indian" is not her native language.
>
> Bob

It's not mine either, but I can speak Hindi.

Jinx

Sadha Roti lilchuff11 Vegan 0 19-12-2011 09:48 AM
Aluwala Roti International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 03:18 AM
What is your opinion of silicone baking pans? Donna General Cooking 5 02-01-2005 04:02 PM
Goat Roti 2002 jcoulter Wine 73 02-09-2004 10:22 PM
Roti Canai Frank Takacs Recipes 1 31-03-2004 01:23 PM