FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/398353-sweet-hungarian-paprika-substitute.html)

Kalmia 07-07-2010 12:42 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

ImStillMags 07-07-2010 12:45 AM

On Jul 6, 4:42*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?
>
> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
> amazing --tiny bullets of a *few spices on a cardboard card - geared
> for various cuisines. *The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
> pound! *I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

You can use regular mild paprika.

sf[_9_] 07-07-2010 01:44 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:42:52 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

Regular paprika.

> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
> amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
> for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
> pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

Yeah, somebody (koko?) posted about that a few months ago. I never
remember to look for them when I'm at the grocery store, so I haven't
noticed them yet.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Don Martinich 07-07-2010 01:55 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

Spanish and generic paprika do *not* have the same flavor as Hungarian
paprika.
You can get it online but the shipping will double the cost at the
least. But, it does come in 5oz. cans and that will last a while. The
brand I'm talking about is Pride of Szeged Sweet Paprika from Hungary.
(they also ship the hot variety) You can find it at some major
supermarkets here in N.California, so you might search a little more.
You should at least try it to see the difference.

D.M.

J. Clarke 07-07-2010 02:20 AM

On 7/6/2010 7:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?
>
> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
> amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
> for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
> pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

If you're in a place that they ship to, Penzeys has it. If you're in
the US check their Web site and see if they have a store near you.

Steve Pope 07-07-2010 04:39 AM

J. Clarke > wrote:

>On 7/6/2010 7:42 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
>> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

>> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
>> amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
>> for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
>> pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
>> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

>If you're in a place that they ship to, Penzeys has it. If you're in
>the US check their Web site and see if they have a store near you.

I only bought Hungarian paprika once and, while it was better
than national-brand (e.g. Schilling) paprika, it was no better
than paprika available at the nearby Mexican store for a lot less.

Maybe I should give the stuff another try.

Steve

Lew Hodgett 07-07-2010 07:09 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

Subject

It makes a difference, BUT it has a shelf life,

Try to buy smaller quantities for best results.

Lew

Kalmia 07-07-2010 03:29 PM

On Jul 6, 7:42*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?
>
> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
> amazing --tiny bullets of a *few spices on a cardboard card - geared
> for various cuisines. *The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
> pound! *I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

I just looked at ebay - a lot of it there, but of course the shipping
will exceed the price of the item. Still...

There IS another market other side of town which might carry it - I'll
look there for the real deal.

brooklyn1 07-07-2010 06:01 PM

Kalmia wrote:

> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. *Any ideas on what to substitute?

Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
anyway... most paprika is a blend.

Doug Freyburger 07-07-2010 08:24 PM

Don Martinich wrote:
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
>> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

> Spanish and generic paprika do *not* have the same flavor as Hungarian
> paprika.

Some people are very sensative to differences in paprika and think it
hot. Some people are very insensative to difference in paprika and
think it a pretty red with a slight and subtle aroma. The first time I
encountered someone senative to paprika I thought his head was going to
explode when he tasted my stew.

If the members of your family are insensative to the type of heat in
paprika the exact type is not all that important. The fresh and smoked
types have a nice richer aroma but any version works. The hot and sweet
types aren't all that different to the unsensative folks but they are
very different to the sensative folks.

It also works to use a different type of dried ground red pepper.
Definitely not the same but if you try a hot type you'll find out what
it's like to be someone sensative to the heat of paprika.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 08-07-2010 02:05 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

> Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
> no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
> anyway... most paprika is a blend.

YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e., people with a
functioning sense of smell) can.

Bob

Don Martinich 08-07-2010 02:27 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

In article >,
"Lew Hodgett" > wrote:

> Subject
>
> It makes a difference, BUT it has a shelf life,
>
> Try to buy smaller quantities for best results.
>
> Lew

Keeping dried capsicum products in the refrigerator will greatly extend
their flavor.

D.M.

Steve Pope 08-07-2010 02:35 AM

Don Martinich > wrote:

>Keeping dried capsicum products in the refrigerator will greatly extend
>their flavor.

Interesting, I have never tried that, although it seems obvious.
Thanks.

S.

isw 08-07-2010 04:46 AM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:
>
> > Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
> > no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
> > anyway... most paprika is a blend.

> YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e., people with a
> functioning sense of smell) can.

I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can tell
a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not much taste to
speak of), "smoked", and "hot".

If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about them; I've
never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.

Isaac

isw 08-07-2010 04:48 AM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 06 Jul 2010 08:39:56p, Steve Pope told us...
>
> > J. Clarke > wrote:

> >>If you're in a place that they ship to, Penzeys has it. If you're
> >>in the US check their Web site and see if they have a store near
> >>you.

> > I only bought Hungarian paprika once and, while it was better
> > than national-brand (e.g. Schilling) paprika, it was no better
> > than paprika available at the nearby Mexican store for a lot less.
> >
> > Maybe I should give the stuff another try.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Steve, the difference is barely noticeable in dishes that only use a
> very small amount of papr8ika. However, in dishes like chicken or
> veal paprikas or Hungarian guylas, the amount used is significant and
> the flavor is very evident. Ordinary paprika just doesn't give the
> right flavor.

Please share what brands or types you use that *do* give the "right"
flavor.

Isaac

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 08-07-2010 06:02 AM

Isaac wrote:

> I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can tell
> a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not much taste to
> speak of), "smoked", and "hot".
>
> If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about them; I've
> never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.

Penzeys sells two types of Hungarian paprika as well as California paprika.
I (and most people) can tell the difference between all of them. For your
paprikashes I'd recommend their Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika.

Bob

Steve Pope 08-07-2010 07:51 AM

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>My first choice is Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika. They produce
>both the sweet and hot varieties and I use both, depending on the
>dish. This is easy to find all over the web if it's not available to
>you locally.

Thanks. I see that they have this at my local Androgynous
Park & Shop.

Steve

brooklyn1 08-07-2010 05:51 PM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:46:56 -0700, isw > wrote:

>> > Sweet paprika is primarilly for color... any mild paprika will work...
>> > no one can tell where paprika peppers were grown in a cooked dish
>> > anyway... most paprika is a blend.

>I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can tell
>a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not much taste to
>speak of), "smoked", and "hot".
>
>If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about them; I've
>never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.

Paprikas, including imports, are a blend of whatever is seasonally
available. The way to tell one flavor from another is to taste the
paprika straight from the container, and side by side, no ones taste
perception memory can compare after time passes... ones sensory
perception can remember smells but not taste, not anymore than
remembering color tones. Yes, one can discern heat levels to a point
(the heat is typically from a blending with a hotter pepper) but when
cooked in a dish no one can tell one paprika from another. Paprika is
a crop, it's never the same harvest to harvest, year to year. And
once ground all capsicums deteriorate rapidly, so even if you're lucky
enough to purchase freshly ground it won't taste nearly the same a
couple months later. Those who claim to be able to distinguish
different nuances in paprikas in cooked dishes are those who are most
familiar with artificial flavorings... and even those differ lot to
lot. Just like ground meat unless you grind it yourself there is no
way to know what's in any ground spice. Paprika can be blended with
lesser/cheaper peppers... a good way to use up the salvagable portions
of red bells rotting in the field. Other than grow your own the best
you can do is buy from a reputable source... and then taste as you go
adding more as needed, same as cooking with any seasoning. I'd not
buy any hot paprika, when I want heat I add a bit of cayenne... I can
always add heat but I can't take it out... when I buy paprika I always
buy sweet (same as I always buy mild chili powder) I want to be able
to taste it before it's been contaminated. And just because it's
imported doesn't make it better, that's only a way to justify higher
price. There aren't many spices in the US that aren't imported but
capsicums are native to the Americas so I'd choose those first.

blake murphy[_2_] 08-07-2010 06:11 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 04:25:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:46:56p, isw told us...
>
>> In article >,
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>>
>>> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

>>> YOU can't tell the difference. More discerning people (i.e.,
>>> people with a functioning sense of smell) can.

>> I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can
>> tell a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not
>> much taste to speak of), "smoked", and "hot".
>>
>> If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about
>> them; I've never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.
>>
>> Isaac
>>

> If you buy a good brand like Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika,
> you'll find that the sweet variety does indeed have a lot of flavor.

and a great-looking can:

<http://www.amazon.com/Szeged-Premium-Quality-Hungarian-Paprika/dp/B001JAXI4K>

your pal,
blake

sf[_9_] 08-07-2010 07:34 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:51:37 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

> Thanks. I see that they have this at my local Androgynous
> Park & Shop.

Do they have the hot version too, Steve?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

brooklyn1 08-07-2010 09:28 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:11:23 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 04:25:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:46:56p, isw told us...

>>> I would be interested to know the exact brand(s) for which you can
>>> tell a difference. I can distinguish between "sweet" (i.e. not
>>> much taste to speak of), "smoked", and "hot".
>>>
>>> If there are brands that are superior, I'd like to know about
>>> them; I've never been satisfied with the taste of my paprikashes.
>>>
>>> Isaac
>>>

>> If you buy a good brand like Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika,
>> you'll find that the sweet variety does indeed have a lot of flavor.

>and a great-looking can:
>
><http://www.amazon.com/Szeged-Premium-Quality-Hungarian-Paprika/dp/B001JAXI4K>

Unless one runs a restaurant it's pretty dumb to buy 30 ounces of
paprika at once.

isw 09-07-2010 07:51 AM

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:48:08p, isw told us...
>
> > In article 7>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue 06 Jul 2010 08:39:56p, Steve Pope told us...

> >> Steve, the difference is barely noticeable in dishes that only
> >> use a very small amount of papr8ika. However, in dishes like
> >> chicken or veal paprikas or Hungarian guylas, the amount used is
> >> significant and the flavor is very evident. Ordinary paprika
> >> just doesn't give the right flavor.

> > Please share what brands or types you use that *do* give the
> > "right" flavor.
> >
> > Isaac
> >

> My first choice is Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika.

Well oddly, that's what I've been using. It was recommended to me many
years ago by a fellow I worked with named Nicholas Szegedi. He said the
stuff from his home town was the best available, but I never knew
whether to believe him.

I've also had some nice Spanish paprikas.

Isaac

blake murphy[_2_] 09-07-2010 07:50 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:28:11 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:11:23 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 04:25:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:46:56p, isw told us...

>>> If you buy a good brand like Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika,
>>> you'll find that the sweet variety does indeed have a lot of flavor.

>>and a great-looking can:
>>
>><http://www.amazon.com/Szeged-Premium-Quality-Hungarian-Paprika/dp/B001JAXI4K>

> Unless one runs a restaurant it's pretty dumb to buy 30 ounces of
> paprika at once.

i guess i should have labeled that 'for purposes of illustration only' for
the numbskulls in the audience.

blake

blake murphy[_2_] 09-07-2010 07:54 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:51:56 -0700, isw wrote:

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:48:08p, isw told us...

>>> Please share what brands or types you use that *do* give the
>>> "right" flavor.
>>>
>>> Isaac
>>>

>> My first choice is Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika.

> Well oddly, that's what I've been using. It was recommended to me many
> years ago by a fellow I worked with named Nicholas Szegedi. He said the
> stuff from his home town was the best available, but I never knew
> whether to believe him.
>
> I've also had some nice Spanish paprikas.

i like the smoked spanish paprika from penzeys.

your pal,
blake

sf[_9_] 09-07-2010 08:23 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:54:06 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> i like the smoked spanish paprika from penzeys.

The concept of smoked paprika is ok, but I end up adding liquid smoke
to what I've used the smoked paprika in because I like a smokier
flavor. How do you use it that it's fine on its own?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

brooklyn1 09-07-2010 10:33 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:54:06 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:51:56 -0700, isw wrote:
>
>> In article 7>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 07 Jul 2010 08:48:08p, isw told us...

>>> My first choice is Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika.

>> Well oddly, that's what I've been using. It was recommended to me many
>> years ago by a fellow I worked with named Nicholas Szegedi. He said the
>> stuff from his home town was the best available, but I never knew
>> whether to believe him.
>>
>> I've also had some nice Spanish paprikas.

>i like the smoked spanish paprika from penzeys.

And of course you can taste exactly which paprika it is.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 10-07-2010 11:16 AM

Isaac wrote:

> 14 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
> 2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (Picante Pimenton)
> 1/4 tsp. salt

> On a plate mix smoked paprika with salt; slice chicken breast into thin
> slivers and place into paprika mix. Cover chicken completely in spice and
> pat off excess.

14 oz. of chicken breasts works out to about two fairly-large breasts. It
doesn't look like you'd have enough of the paprika-salt mixture to
completely coat that much sliced chicken (considering that slicing will
drastically increase the surface area).

Do the quantities work out right for you?

Bob

Steve Pope 10-07-2010 04:38 PM

sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:51:37 +0000 (UTC), (Steve

>> Thanks. I see that they have this at my local Androgynous
>> Park & Shop.

>Do they have the hot version too, Steve?

Yes, they had the "Sweet delicacy" version and a hot version.

Steve

blake murphy[_2_] 10-07-2010 05:05 PM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:06 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:54:06 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> i like the smoked spanish paprika from penzeys.

> The concept of smoked paprika is ok, but I end up adding liquid smoke
> to what I've used the smoked paprika in because I like a smokier
> flavor. How do you use it that it's fine on its own?

actually, i'm just a bum who uses it pretty much any time paprika is called
for.

your pal,
blake

sf[_9_] 10-07-2010 05:12 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:38:56 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:51:37 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve

> >> Thanks. I see that they have this at my local Androgynous
> >> Park & Shop.

> >Do they have the hot version too, Steve?

> Yes, they had the "Sweet delicacy" version and a hot version.

I found the sweet version at Safeway yesterday, but neglected to look
at the size other than to notice it was twice as much as I'd conceive
of using in a lifetime.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

sf[_9_] 10-07-2010 05:24 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:05:43 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:23:06 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:54:06 -0400, blake murphy
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> i like the smoked spanish paprika from penzeys.

> > The concept of smoked paprika is ok, but I end up adding liquid smoke
> > to what I've used the smoked paprika in because I like a smokier
> > flavor. How do you use it that it's fine on its own?

> actually, i'm just a bum who uses it pretty much any time paprika is called
> for.

OK, I see.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

isw 11-07-2010 05:46 AM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Isaac wrote:
>
> > 14 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
> > 2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (Picante Pimenton)
> > 1/4 tsp. salt

> > On a plate mix smoked paprika with salt; slice chicken breast into thin
> > slivers and place into paprika mix. Cover chicken completely in spice and
> > pat off excess.

> 14 oz. of chicken breasts works out to about two fairly-large breasts. It
> doesn't look like you'd have enough of the paprika-salt mixture to
> completely coat that much sliced chicken (considering that slicing will
> drastically increase the surface area).
>
> Do the quantities work out right for you?

Honestly, I don't recall; it was last winter when we last prepared it.
If the paprika came out a little shy, I'd just add some...

Isaac

Steve Pope 11-07-2010 05:51 AM

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Isaac wrote:

>> 14 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
>> 2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (Picante Pimenton)

> 14 oz. of chicken breasts works out to about two fairly-large
> breasts. It doesn't look like you'd have enough of the
> paprika-salt mixture to completely coat that much sliced chicken
> (considering that slicing will drastically increase the surface
> area).

Smoked Spanish paprika is very strong stuff; I would not
use the macro quantities of it that I might use of other
chili powders (including conventional paprika, Hungarian
paprika from what I remember of it, or New Mexico Chili).
It can easily overwhelm a dish. The above amount sounds
sensible.

Steve

brooklyn1 11-07-2010 06:55 PM

Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:51:28 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Isaac wrote:

>>> 14 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
>>> 2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (Picante Pimenton)

>> 14 oz. of chicken breasts works out to about two fairly-large
>> breasts. It doesn't look like you'd have enough of the
>> paprika-salt mixture to completely coat that much sliced chicken
>> (considering that slicing will drastically increase the surface
>> area).

>Smoked Spanish paprika is very strong stuff; I would not
>use the macro quantities of it that I might use of other
>chili powders (including conventional paprika, Hungarian
>paprika from what I remember of it, or New Mexico Chili).
>It can easily overwhelm a dish. The above amount sounds
>sensible.

I agree. When it was fist offered I bought 4 ounces of Penzeys
smoked paprika to try it, will probably last the rest of my life and
beyond.... *one* tsp for two chicken breasts is too much. In fact the
smokiness is so overwhelming that even though they claim it's
naturally smoked over wood to me it tastes artificial, the smokiness
is very potent but doesn't taste of paprika at all. I've tried a tiny
dusting on a western omelet and the smoke flavor ruined it. I tried a
wee bit as a garnish on a cup of pea soup and had to toss it down the
drain. Next time someone visits who wants it it's gone. I'll stick
with plain sweet paprika... I use paprika as a garnish, I don't think
it adds anything cooked into a dish other than color.... tomato paste
adds color and if I want smokey heat I rather toss in a bit of
chipotle, at least that has a distinct flavor. I think as a spice
paprika is over rated... it's fine to dress up a bowl of potato salad,
tuna salad, egg salad, etc., that's all... to me paprika is strictly a
garnish... adds a bit of color without intruding, to a piece of fish,
mashed potatoes, a cheesey gratine, etc. I suggest anyone want's to
try the Penseys smoked paprika buy the smallest size, better yet ask
for a sample... and be very judicious with it's use... I recommend not
adding it to an entire pot, add only to a serving... I would never buy
it again. And I like smokey flavored foods, all kinds of sausage,
hams, cheesesm especially fish. All this gave me a yen, got a nice
wedge of New York's Artisan Cheese... Yancy's Fancy Smoked Gouda...
gnna dive into right now:
www.yanceyfancy.com

brooklyn1 11-07-2010 08:48 PM

brooklyn1 wrote:

>All this gave me a yen, got a nice
>wedge of New York's Artisan Cheese... Yancy's Fancy Smoked Gouda...
>gnna dive into right now: www.yanceyfancy.com

Sorry, it's: www.yanceysfancy.com

Mo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yancey's_Fancy

Melba's Jammin' 12-07-2010 01:58 AM

Kalmia > wrote:

> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?
>
> By the by, while I stared at the spice section, I I saw something
> amazing --tiny bullets of a few spices on a cardboard card - geared
> for various cuisines. The unit price on one of em was 89 dollars a
> pound! I put this in the same category as shake and bake and other
> expensive convenience stuff one can whip up at home for a song.

Were those, perchance, the McCormick "Recipe Inspirations"? Koko
spotted those a couple months ago and they've been discussed here. I
like the Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Potatoes ‹ seasonings were
fragrant and fresh. Perfect for the likes of my kids.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of