Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Inspiration please? Main dish

I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.

In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.

Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
obvious ones.

Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
quart duck bone stock.

Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller and
more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh spinach, an
asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a mild mustard
flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:53:35 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Just looking for new ideas!

Just finished watching Ina Garten so Cajun (not Creole) style
Jambalaya is on my mind (no tomatoes or shrimp).

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> Just looking for new ideas!

> Just finished watching Ina Garten so Cajun (not Creole) style
> Jambalaya is on my mind (no tomatoes or shrimp).

Yum! I;m perusing salmon recpes right now. I'll scroll out a post with the
ones I exported from MM once done. Then, off to look over Cajun ones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:53:35 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
>In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
>you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
>It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
>condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
>Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
>fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
>and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
>obvious ones.
>
>Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
>frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
>quart duck bone stock.
>
>Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
>celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller and
>more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh spinach, an
>asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a mild mustard
>flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
>
>Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

I would gril the steaks or salmon, along with the vidalia onions,
mushrooms, and bell peppers, then serve these over the spinach and
tomatoes for a pretty salad.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
> you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
> It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
> condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
> Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
> fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
> and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
> obvious ones.
>
> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.
>
> Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
> celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller
> and more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh
> spinach, an asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a
> mild mustard flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from
> the garden.
>
> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

Chicken under a brick?

I just made one last week to test out a new kitchen toy and it was pretty
fabulous. I fresh ground some coriander, cumin and fennel seeds, peppercorn
and sea salt. Splatchcocked an organic chicken, rubbed it with a little oil
then the ground spices. I put the chicken in this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

....and grilled it on high for a few minutes on each side, then turned it
down to medium and grilled it a few minutes more on each side. It was moist
and perfectly done. Definitely a do-over.
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.

I'd want to use up the salmon first. Perhaps
fish tacos or Salmon Rangoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>>I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.

(snippies made)

>>Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
>>frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
>>quart duck bone stock.

(Snippies made)

>>Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> I would gril the steaks or salmon, along with the vidalia onions,
> mushrooms, and bell peppers, then serve these over the spinach and
> tomatoes for a pretty salad.

Thats actually one idea I exported to look over!

See new thread, exported Salmon ideas ;-) I posted them just before this
message.

Next was gonna read up then peruse Cajun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.

(snippies made)
>> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> Chicken under a brick?

Tobacco chicken (may have mispelled it) was the first thing that came to
mind as I read that. It's a pressed chicken that is mostly boneless and
made in butter under a weight. It's actually a perfect idea for my cast
iron!

Then I read down:

> I just made one last week to test out a new kitchen toy and it was pretty
> fabulous. I fresh ground some coriander, cumin and fennel seeds,
> peppercorn and sea salt. Splatchcocked an organic chicken, rubbed it with
> a little oil then the ground spices. I put the chicken in this...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
>
> ...and grilled it on high for a few minutes on each side, then turned it
> down to medium and grilled it a few minutes more on each side. It was
> moist and perfectly done. Definitely a do-over.

I love it! I marked that basket in my wish list. I have some like it for
smaller items or whole fish. Don (hubby) took one look and said 'I want
it'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
> you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
> It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
> condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
> Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
> fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
> and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
> obvious ones.
>
> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.
>
> Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
> celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller
> and more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh
> spinach, an asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a
> mild mustard flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from
> the garden.
>
> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon Japanese style.
Sticky rice
Japanese pickles.

Koko sautés a 3 colored peppers with garlic & IIRC some onion serve with
crusty French Bread.

Wilted Spinach salad (Warm dressing) with/without cold or hot chicken or
salmon

Stuff the pork loin whole or slices.

If you trust the steaks - Steak tartar

If you have enough canned cooked beans make a multi bean salad with crunchy
celery & some diced fresh or canned tomatoes. Don't forget the sweet onions.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
>> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
>> quart duck bone stock.

> I'd want to use up the salmon first. Perhaps
> fish tacos or Salmon Rangoon.

That was my thought Mark, use Salmon first. The rest will hold fine several
days. In fact, 1 small angus steak went away as lunch for Don and Charlotte
already. I got more of them in the chest freezer.

Fish tacos! Now to go look up what salmon rangoon is like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Fish tacos! Now to go look up what salmon rangoon is like.

It would be the same as crab rangoon, but with salmon.
I think you need to cook the salmon first, to drive out
the water. I really like the combination of cream cheese
and salmon, and I think this would be an excellent
substitution. I think I made this 10 or 15 years ago,
using salmon I barbequed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.

(snippies made)

>> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> Grilled Teriyaki Salmon Japanese style.
> Sticky rice
> Japanese pickles.

BTDT but a great meal!

> Koko sautés a 3 colored peppers with garlic & IIRC some onion serve with
> crusty French Bread.

This sparks an idea on a different version since the bread is almost ready
(ABM sort, 1 hour to go).

Carmelize onions, peppers and garlic in fat then fast sear salmon in same.
Reserve to side and toast bread to crusty in same fat. Serve 'stuff' on the
toasted bread.

That may be dinner!

> Stuff the pork loin whole or slices.

Naw, but thanks for the idea. Oh wait! Whole garlic cloves and a bit of
spinach? But I'd have to do the loin further than our norm to make that
work. See, I was looking for Inspiration! I seem to be getting lots of it.

> If you trust the steaks - Steak tartar

Oh yes. Quite trusty steaks.

> If you have enough canned cooked beans make a multi bean salad with
> crunchy celery & some diced fresh or canned tomatoes. Don't forget the
> sweet onions.

Humm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
> you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
> It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
> condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
> Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
> fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
> and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
> obvious ones.
>
> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.
>
> Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
> celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller and
> more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh spinach, an
> asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a mild mustard
> flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
>
> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

A bit late here, but it seems you're on the salmon for tonight anyway.
For the next "something different and non-Asian" how about beef
stroganoff (real, not quick)? I'm prepping to do that tomorrow myself
per request of some folks coming over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
> you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
> It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
> condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
> Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
> fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
> and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
> obvious ones.
>
> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.
>
> Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
> celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller and
> more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh spinach, an
> asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a mild mustard
> flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from the garden.
>
> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

That is a LOT of food!
My moods change daily so so do my ideas. ;-)

I'd do the fish first as it tends to freezer burn faster.
Dillweed and lemon, probably baked.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol wrote:

> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>
> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything
> you'd need for that right now) and don't want to spend all day making it.
> It's fairly safe to assume I have just about anything 'standard' in
> condiments, spices, pastas, cheeses etc.
>
> Handy meats he whole duck, whole chicken, firm white and pink steaked
> fish, Tilapia filets, pork butt, beef (hunks, types vary), venison, squid,
> and pork loin. Probably some other things in the meat area but those are
> obvious ones.
>
> Defrosting in the fridge is: 1 wild caught salmon fillet (have 5 lbs
> frozen), 1/2 lb pork loin, 1/2 lb (maybe 3/4) small angus beef steaks, 1
> quart duck bone stock.
>
> Handy veggies: Head cabbage, onions (red, vidalia, and yellow), garlic,
> celery, mushrooms (shemenji type, will double for button though smaller
> and more earthy), carrots, potatoes, bell peppers in 3 colors, fresh
> spinach, an asian vegetable that has stems like brocolli and leaves are a
> mild mustard flavor (mustard derivitive I think), and fresh tomatoes from
> the garden.
>
> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

Coming in a bit late here; I gather you've already decided to do the salmon
first, so here are a few salmon ideas:

Grilled salmon with maple-soy glaze

Gravlax with gin (Lin *loves* a recipe I've mentioned here before, soy-cured
salmon with Asian pear and cilantro creme fraiche, but you said you wanted
non-Asian)

Salmon baked in parchment with mushrooms, spinach, and cream

A variation on coulibiac: salmon baked in brioche dough with cabbage,
mushrooms, and veloute sauce.

Pan-roasted salmon with coarse mustard cream sauce

Fettuccine with bacon, salmon, peas, and lemon sauce

Is this your "asian vegetable with stems like broccoli"?
http://www.foodsnherbs.com/choi_sum.JPG (choy sum)
or maybe this?
http://www.marketmanila.com/images/aaagai1.JPG (gai lan)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.

>> In mind is something non-Asian (though I've got a stock of most anything

>> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> A bit late here, but it seems you're on the salmon for tonight anyway.
> For the next "something different and non-Asian" how about beef
> stroganoff (real, not quick)? I'm prepping to do that tomorrow myself
> per request of some folks coming over.

Oh! I havent dont that ever but Mom used to now and again! Don't worry
about any specific date or item. I'm just 'trolling for new ideas' here
(grin).

Got recipie you like for that? As long as I can just tend the pan now and
again, long isnt an issue here. Medical problems sorry to say, make
standing very long a bit of an issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> I've been in a bit of a cooking rut and would like some new ideas.
>> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> That is a LOT of food!

Hehe spare chest freezer makes it easy to do that. I sent the hubby and
kidlet to go freezer diving and that is what they pulled out this time. You
may note the amounts were not huge. 1/2 lb generally to feed 3.

> My moods change daily so so do my ideas. ;-)

Same here.

> I'd do the fish first as it tends to freezer burn faster.
> Dillweed and lemon, probably baked.

Oddly, never been a dillweed and lemon fan on fish. Just odd I guess!

The salmon is slowly turning into lox (with another 5 lbs in the freezer not
touched). I'm peeking at cajun recipes. The stove is slowly making duckfat
potatoes with lavander (not new to us but tastey home comfort).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote
> Carol wrote:

>> Plenty to work with obviously. Just looking for new ideas!

> Coming in a bit late here; I gather you've already decided to do the
> salmon
> first, so here are a few salmon ideas:

The drfrosted one is turning into Lox. Later, looking at a mixed lox spread
with it.

> Grilled salmon with maple-soy glaze
>
> Gravlax with gin (Lin *loves* a recipe I've mentioned here before,
> soy-cured salmon with Asian pear and cilantro creme fraiche, but you said
> you wanted non-Asian)

Hey, that is different for us! I have an asian pear too (grin).
No cilantro though. I'm the unfortunate type where it tastes like soap.

> Salmon baked in parchment with mushrooms, spinach, and cream

Good stuff though I use tin foil.

> A variation on coulibiac: salmon baked in brioche dough with cabbage,
> mushrooms, and veloute sauce.

Oh yeah! Um, how do you make veloute sauce? Blush, dunno that one which
was the purpose of the thread!

> Is this your "asian vegetable with stems like broccoli"?
> http://www.foodsnherbs.com/choi_sum.JPG (choy sum)
> or maybe this?
> http://www.marketmanila.com/images/aaagai1.JPG (gai lan)

First one though it seems a version of second and I get both commonly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol wrote:

> Oh yeah! Um, how do you make veloute sauce? Blush, dunno that one which
> was the purpose of the thread!

Veloute is like bechamel, only you use stock (or water) instead of milk.

>> Is this your "asian vegetable with stems like broccoli"?
>> http://www.foodsnherbs.com/choi_sum.JPG (choy sum)
>> or maybe this?
>> http://www.marketmanila.com/images/aaagai1.JPG (gai lan)

> First one though it seems a version of second and I get both commonly.

They're quite similar, but I prefer the one with little flowers on it. Just
a texture thing; they taste just about the same.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Carol wrote:
>

> >Oh yeah! Um, how do you make veloute sauce? Blush, dunno that one which
> >was the purpose of the thread!

> Veloute is like bechamel, only you use stock (or water) instead of milk.

Dont even get me started on sauce Espagnole

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote
> Carol wrote:

>> Oh yeah! Um, how do you make veloute sauce? Blush, dunno that one which
>> was the purpose of the thread!

> Veloute is like bechamel, only you use stock (or water) instead of milk.

Ah, ok!

>>> Is this your "asian vegetable with stems like broccoli"?
>>> http://www.foodsnherbs.com/choi_sum.JPG (choy sum)
>>> or maybe this?
>>> http://www.marketmanila.com/images/aaagai1.JPG (gai lan)

>> First one though it seems a version of second and I get both commonly.

> They're quite similar, but I prefer the one with little flowers on it.
> Just a texture thing; they taste just about the same.

Yeah and the bewildering different names from so many asian cultures, makes
them fairly nameless to me. I just get'em and eat'em without worrying about
what this particular asian store wants to call them.

In Japan, we got one like the Choy Sum as well as one called 'Kang Koon' or
'Kangkong' (depends on area). Asian hollow stem spinach. Leaves like Choy
Sum but on thin hollow spindle stalks. Tastes like spinach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Asian greens

Carol wrote:

>>> First one though it seems a version of second and I get both commonly.

>> They're quite similar, but I prefer the one with little flowers on it.
>> Just a texture thing; they taste just about the same.

> Yeah and the bewildering different names from so many asian cultures,
> makes them fairly nameless to me. I just get'em and eat'em without
> worrying about what this particular asian store wants to call them.
>
> In Japan, we got one like the Choy Sum as well as one called 'Kang Koon'
> or 'Kangkong' (depends on area). Asian hollow stem spinach. Leaves like
> Choy Sum but on thin hollow spindle stalks. Tastes like spinach.

I've only seen that called water spinach; I'd never seen the other names
until I just googled. Apparently it's also called "ong choy." It's not my
favorite, but I can handle it if it showed up in a CSA box.

Bob