Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yerba Mate

How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
(instead of boiling water)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2010 5:24 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
> thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
> the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
> (instead of boiling water)
>
> Bob

Use hot water, boiling water will make it taste bitter.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:
>How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
>thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
>the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
>(instead of boiling water)

Yes, but the gourd imparts a great deal of flavor. There is also mate cocido,
brewed with milk and sugar and cooked longer than with water.

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2010 8:58 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> > wrote:
>> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
>> thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
>> the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
>> (instead of boiling water)

> Yes, but the gourd imparts a great deal of flavor. There is also mate cocido,
> brewed with milk and sugar and cooked longer than with water.
>
> Orlando

I've been reading about it since I posted; it looks like a ceramic
"travel mug" (wide flat bottom, very narrow top, sort of globe shaped in
the middle) would work in place of the gourd, but the bombilla is
essential. And the bombilla costs as much or more than a gourd, so I
might as well get a proper kit and do it right.

Is a smoked gourd a good thing (taste-wise) or is it just a lazy man's
way to cure it?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:
>Is a smoked gourd a good thing (taste-wise) or is it just a lazy man's
>way to cure it?

The gourd is not cured using smoke; it is filled with mate and water, to which
new water is added once the leaves absorb it. This is done for a day or so.

Orlando

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2010 10:40 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> > wrote:
>> Is a smoked gourd a good thing (taste-wise) or is it just a lazy man's
>> way to cure it?

> The gourd is not cured using smoke; it is filled with mate and water, to which
> new water is added once the leaves absorb it. This is done for a day or so.
>
> Orlando

Some of the ones I've looked at say they are precured (and smokey.) I'm
not sure if you still have to scrape them or not.

I need to see if the Mexican store sells gourds and bombillas before I
go ordering one off the Internet -- I know that's a South American thing
and I shouldn't expect it, but they did have the mate.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
> thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
> the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
> (instead of boiling water)
>
> Bob

Just brew it like any other tea! Works just fine in a tea ball. :-)
Or strained out of hot water if you don't have one...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> On 6/20/2010 10:40 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >> Is a smoked gourd a good thing (taste-wise) or is it just a lazy man's
> >> way to cure it?

> > The gourd is not cured using smoke; it is filled with mate and water, to
> > which
> > new water is added once the leaves absorb it. This is done for a day or so.
> >
> > Orlando

> Some of the ones I've looked at say they are precured (and smokey.) I'm
> not sure if you still have to scrape them or not.
>
> I need to see if the Mexican store sells gourds and bombillas before I
> go ordering one off the Internet -- I know that's a South American thing
> and I shouldn't expect it, but they did have the mate.
>
> Bob

They have some beautiful Mate' gourds at my local health food store.
They are metal bound.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 3:24*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
> thingy with the silver straw? *I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
> the local Mexican store. *Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
> (instead of boiling water)

Turn on the spigot and water the lawn. It's best as a fertilizer,
IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 10:54*pm, Omelet > wrote:

> They have some beautiful Mate' gourds at my local health food store.
> They are metal bound.

I actually looked that up

I need my head examined.

<shrug>

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-06-20 22:52:52 -0700, Omelet said:

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
>> thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
>> the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
>> (instead of boiling water)
>>
>> Bob

> Just brew it like any other tea! Works just fine in a tea ball. :-)
> Or strained out of hot water if you don't have one...

That's the way I did it for years. Then, at the local Argentinian
grocery, I bought a metal straw with a strainer at the end. So now I
just dump some maté in the cup and once it's cooled a bit, put the
straw in and drink it. If I put it in immediately the metal straw gets
too hot for me lips.

There's no need to remove the maté after 2 or 3 minutes as with tea. It
doesn't get overbearing in taste or bitter or anything. And if you'd
like some more just reload the water. Unlike tea, which imparts most of
its taste in the first couple of minutes, maté's flavors, and caffeine,
leach out continuously until the end of time.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Jun 20, 10:54*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > They have some beautiful Mate' gourds at my local health food store.
> > They are metal bound.

> I actually looked that up
>
> I need my head examined.
>
> <shrug>
>
> -sw

Nah. You just did not know. :-)
There is a whole world of Mate' health food thingies out there.

I just brew it like regular tea when I'm in the mood for it and don't
worry about all the brouhaha. <g>

It's quite tasty iced.
And a good stimulant.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2010062107295680539-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> On 2010-06-20 22:52:52 -0700, Omelet said:
>
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:
> >
> >> How to brew the stuff if you don't have the traditional hollow gourd
> >> thingy with the silver straw? I bought a half a kilo of the stuff at
> >> the local Mexican store. Just brew it like tea, using hot water?
> >> (instead of boiling water)
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Just brew it like any other tea! Works just fine in a tea ball. :-)
> > Or strained out of hot water if you don't have one...

> That's the way I did it for years. Then, at the local Argentinian
> grocery, I bought a metal straw with a strainer at the end. So now I
> just dump some maté in the cup and once it's cooled a bit, put the
> straw in and drink it. If I put it in immediately the metal straw gets
> too hot for me lips.
>
> There's no need to remove the maté after 2 or 3 minutes as with tea. It
> doesn't get overbearing in taste or bitter or anything. And if you'd
> like some more just reload the water. Unlike tea, which imparts most of
> its taste in the first couple of minutes, maté's flavors, and caffeine,
> leach out continuously until the end of time.

I might be tempted to get a Mate' gourd, but just for the fun of it.
Not because I take it seriously. <g>

They are pretty.
--
Peace! Om

Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 4 26-07-2010 08:40 PM
Yerba Mate Soda Allan Adler Marketplace 0 11-07-2006 05:19 AM
What about ORGANIC Yerba Maté ??? [email protected] General Cooking 3 29-04-2004 11:13 PM
Yerba Mate Robert Tea 0 11-12-2003 01:38 AM
Where to buy Yerba Mate! beejhorton Tea 1 07-11-2003 02:11 PM