Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strawberries

We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to wait
for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot of rain
forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and mouldy
fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this year, so
who knows how much longer they will be around.

So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of
them in the freezer for winter.

I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them, except
one to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked them for
money. I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I probably
would have made more money if I had put more in the baskets instead of
eating them. Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore knees, the
boredom, the measly pay, and eating way too many strawberries, I didn't
want to eat them for years. I have overcome that aversion, but I had to
remind myself why I shouldn't eat them while picking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 2:08*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to wait
> for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot of rain
> forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and mouldy
> fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this year, so
> who knows how much longer they will be around.
>
> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of
> them in the freezer for winter.
>
> I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them, except
> one to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked them for
> money. I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I probably
> would have made more money if I had put more in the baskets instead of
> eating them. Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore knees, the
> boredom, the measly pay, and eating way too many strawberries, I didn't
> want to eat them for years. *I have overcome that aversion, but I had to
> remind myself why I shouldn't eat them while picking.

I only picked my own once (at a commercial strawberry farm, that is) -
and that was enough. Like you say, after the bending, the slopping
through muddy fields (recent rain), the gnats and the sunburn, then
coming home and having to do something with them seemed the epitome of
abuse. Never again.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2010 2:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to
> wait for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot
> of rain forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and
> mouldy fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this
> year, so who knows how much longer they will be around.
>
> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of
> them in the freezer for winter.
>
> I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them, except
> one to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked them
> for money. I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I
> probably would have made more money if I had put more in the baskets
> instead of eating them. Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore
> knees, the boredom, the measly pay, and eating way too many
> strawberries, I didn't want to eat them for years. I have overcome
> that aversion, but I had to remind myself why I shouldn't eat them
> while picking.

Yum, I love strawberries. I had four of them after lunch for dessert.
Now I am in the mood for a strawberry pie.

Becca

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I only picked my own once (at a commercial strawberry farm, that is) -
> and that was enough. Like you say, after the bending, the slopping
> through muddy fields (recent rain), the gnats and the sunburn, then
> coming home and having to do something with them seemed the epitome of
> abuse. Never again.

This is the first time in a long time that I have picked them. I was
being frugal. Strawberries are really expensive here this year, $4.50 -
$5 per quart. They are only $2 per quart to pick your own.

It wouldn't have been so bad except that I had an exceptionally busy
day, for an old retired guy. My brother comes by Friday mornings at
10:30 for coffee. I can almost set my clock by him. I had to go grocery
shopping first because I needed sugar and lids. I also had to mow the
back yard and trim it because my son and his girlfriend are coming down
for the weekend, and I always make an extra batch of jam for him, so now
he can take it back with him. SO I was up early, went shopping, mowed
the lawn, jammed and froze 10 litres of berries, then trimmed the lawn,
went to the library. Now it's time for a quick dinner before I go down
to the train station to get them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Yum, I love strawberries. I had four of them after lunch for dessert.
> Now I am in the mood for a strawberry pie.

I love strawberries, but I have to say I do not like strawberry pie, not
if it involves cooking the berries. I would rather have some sort of
creamy custard filling with fresh berries on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> I get them already picked at the field, not much difference from
> picking yourself.

There is a huge price difference, and that adds up when you are getting
a lot. I am lucky to have a PYO strawberry farm right around the corner.
Field to jam in less than an hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> Becca wrote:
>>

>> Yum, I love strawberries. I had four of them after lunch for dessert.
>> Now I am in the mood for a strawberry pie.

> I love strawberries, but I have to say I do not like strawberry pie, not
> if it involves cooking the berries. I would rather have some sort of
> creamy custard filling with fresh berries on top.

The strawberry pie they used to have at the Tippin's bakery/restaurants
consisted of a mound of hulled ripe berries, in a baked pastry shell, with
some glaze drizzled over them and whipped cream on top.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of them
> in the freezer for winter.

I only picked them once, and that had to do with a promise of shortcake and
the non-availability of picked ones. I'd rather pay the extra.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

>> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
>> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
>> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of them
>> in the freezer for winter.

> I only picked them once, and that had to do with a promise of shortcake and
> the non-availability of picked ones. I'd rather pay the extra.

At $5 a quart vs. $2 to PYO, I am starting to question that for myself.
The farm is two minutes away by car and it takes no more than 5 minutes
to pick a basket of berries. It works for me. I can ride my bicyle over
and kill two birds with one stone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2:08 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
>> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
>> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of
>> them in the freezer for winter.
>>

> I only picked my own once (at a commercial strawberry farm, that is) -
> and that was enough. Like you say, after the bending, the slopping
> through muddy fields (recent rain), the gnats and the sunburn, then
> coming home and having to do something with them seemed the epitome of
> abuse. Never again.

I used to pick occasionally for a friend's father who had a tiny
roadside stand, and we grew our own for years back east. The redeeming
feature for me was the incredible smell of ripe berries in the sun.
It was heavenly, better than any flower scent.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to wait
> for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot of rain
> forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and mouldy
> fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this year, so who
> knows how much longer they will be around.
>
> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of them
> in the freezer for winter.
>
> I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them, except one
> to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked them for money.
> I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I probably would have
> made more money if I had put more in the baskets instead of eating them.
> Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore knees, the boredom, the
> measly pay, and eating way too many strawberries, I didn't want to eat
> them for years. I have overcome that aversion, but I had to remind myself
> why I shouldn't eat them while picking.

It's way past strawberry season in SC but it sounds like you got a lot of
really good ones! Congrats!

There's a U-Pick place called Dempsey Farms about 10 miles south. Right now
it's yellow (crookneck) and zucchini picking season. Maybe we'll stop there
tomorrow on our way back from Hunting Island

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to wait
> for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot of rain
> forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and mouldy
> fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this year, so
> who knows how much longer they will be around.
>
> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of jam,
> kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four bags of
> them in the freezer for winter.
>
> I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them, except
> one to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked them for
> money. I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I probably
> would have made more money if I had put more in the baskets instead of
> eating them. Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore knees, the
> boredom, the measly pay, and eating way too many strawberries, I didn't
> want to eat them for years. I have overcome that aversion, but I had to
> remind myself why I shouldn't eat them while picking.

Strawberries are very sweet this year so far. Probably due to all the
spring rains. My favorite strawberries in the whole world tho' are the
wild strawberries we used to pick in Colorado. The size of your
thumbnail but gods they were good!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:59:50 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Strawberries are very sweet this year so far. Probably due to all the
> spring rains. My favorite strawberries in the whole world tho' are the
> wild strawberries we used to pick in Colorado. The size of your
> thumbnail but gods they were good!

Our new thing is combining chunks of avocado with sliced strawberries.
Yum! I want to add avocado to mixed fruit while the strawberry,
blueberry and peach seasons still coincide. Haven't done it yet, but
the combo is delish in my mind.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> news
>> We are in the height of the strawberry season here. I was hoping to
>> wait for the later, sweeter berries to make my jam, but there is lot
>> of rain forecast for the next week, and that means bloated, bland and
>> mouldy fruit. Plus, the berry season started three weeks early this
>> year, so who knows how much longer they will be around.
>>
>> So.... this was strawberry day. I went out this morning and picked 10
>> litres of strawberries. I brought them home and made 4 batches of
>> jam, kept two litres for use over the next few days, and put four
>> bags of them in the freezer for winter.
>>
>> I was pretty good at the berry patch. I didn't eat any of them,
>> except one to check for flavour. I kept thinking of the time I picked
>> them for money. I lasted half a day. I earned $2.65 in five hours. I
>> probably would have made more money if I had put more in the baskets
>> instead of eating them. Between, the sunburn, the sore back, the sore
>> knees, the boredom, the measly pay, and eating way too many
>> strawberries, I didn't want to eat them for years. I have overcome
>> that aversion, but I had to remind myself why I shouldn't eat them
>> while picking.

> It's way past strawberry season in SC but it sounds like you got a lot
> of really good ones! Congrats!
>
> There's a U-Pick place called Dempsey Farms about 10 miles south.
> Right now it's yellow (crookneck) and zucchini picking season. Maybe
> we'll stop there tomorrow on our way back from Hunting Island
>
> Jill

Who is "we'll"? You and your cat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:59:50 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > Strawberries are very sweet this year so far. Probably due to all the
> > spring rains. My favorite strawberries in the whole world tho' are the
> > wild strawberries we used to pick in Colorado. The size of your
> > thumbnail but gods they were good!

> Our new thing is combining chunks of avocado with sliced strawberries.
> Yum! I want to add avocado to mixed fruit while the strawberry,
> blueberry and peach seasons still coincide. Haven't done it yet, but
> the combo is delish in my mind.

Really? Sounds fascinating and something I'd not have considered!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Strawberries and ? aem General Cooking 87 28-04-2010 04:08 PM
Strawberries+Gin=Yum mixr General 0 27-08-2009 03:12 PM
Strawberries Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 12-02-2009 02:55 PM