FoodBanter.com

-   -   To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/397410-re-knead-not-knead.html)

Don Martinich 10-06-2010 01:39 AM

To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate

I had great results using Jim Lahey's no=knead method in my old
cast-iron roaster (aka dutch oven). I've had equally good results using
traditional methods involving kneading in a dutch oven on camping trips.
I've never had great results in my home oven. Given this data, I can
only assume the dutch ovens are the secret.

D.M.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 10-06-2010 02:39 AM

To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 17:39:26 -0700, Don Martinich >
wrote:

>I had great results using Jim Lahey's no=knead method in my old
>cast-iron roaster (aka dutch oven). I've had equally good results using
>traditional methods involving kneading in a dutch oven on camping trips.
>I've never had great results in my home oven. Given this data, I can
>only assume the dutch ovens are the secret.
>
>D.M.

You are talking about two different things - not using old fashioned
kneading, which is dough prep, and methods of baking the final dough.

You can put a lump of traditionally kneaded and well-risen dough into
a Dutch oven to bake and you'll have results similar to Lahey's
recipe. You can also use no-knead methods, or the stretch and fold
technique for just about any sort of bread you make - loaf pans,
artisan types, etc.

Lahey's flavor and texture are developed by a small amount of yeast
left to ferment for a long time in a very high hydration dough. The
Advantage of the Dutch oven is that it captures moisture (steam, at
that point) and helps develop that terrific crust.

I rarely do kneading. This is what can happen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7623433991586/

Boron

ImStillMags 11-06-2010 08:20 PM

On Jun 9, 6:39*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> I rarely do kneading. *This is what can happen:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/2564880...7623433991586/
>
> Boron

You are as much a bread artist as breadmaker. I don't ever seem to
be able to take the time and effort
to do all those wonderful different types.