Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:48:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> The no knead method I use works really well. I have my own sourdough
> starter and I use it in a no knead methodology and I get wonderful
> results.

These were the current fad, not sourdough starter.

> What happened when you tried those methods? What didn't work for you?

Basically they were too "heavy" when fully cooked. They looked and
acted great until eating time. Did the knock test, sounded good but
it wasn't. baked one batch using the covered dutch oven method and
the other batch directly on tile. Neither one was a do over AFAIWC.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 9, 3:11*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:48:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
>
> > The no knead method I use works really well. *I have my own sourdough
> > starter and I use it in a no knead methodology and I get wonderful
> > results.

> These were the current fad, not sourdough starter.
>

> > What happened when you tried those methods? *What didn't work for you?

> Basically they were too "heavy" when fully cooked. *They looked and
> acted great until eating time. *Did the knock test, sounded good but
> it wasn't. *baked one batch using the covered dutch oven method and
> the other batch directly on tile. *Neither one was a do over AFAIWC.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

When you say 'heavy' was the texture gummy or sticky or wet?

I've experimented with the no knead a lot and I've found that the
lightest and best interior took a longer rising time
than what the original recipe called for. The no knead recipe
Bittman used called for 4 hours, usually I let mine sit
for about 6 and it is much better. But it may be because I use
sourdough starter ...

The covered dutch oven method works great, but I've found that instead
of the baking time after you remove the lid being
15 - 20 minutes, I need to let it go for about 30 to make sure the
interior is light.

I guess it's all in if you are willing to play with the methodology
till you find what works for you. I'm glad I did because
I really like being able to put bread to rise in the morning and have
a hot fresh loaf for dinner that evening.

To knead or not to knead: the great bread debate Don Martinich General Cooking 2 11-06-2010 08:20 PM
No-knead bread [email protected] General Cooking 27 22-11-2006 08:06 AM
No-knead bread Bob (this one) Baking 11 18-11-2006 08:01 AM
NYT No-knead bread Dave Bell Sourdough 10 16-11-2006 05:37 PM