Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT <--(sorry) Hearing at high frequencies

On 6/9/2010 9:50 AM, Kajikit wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 07:41:36 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2010 9:41 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> "Nancy > wrote in message

>>> I've heard of that mosquito thing, but never heard it. Hmmm.
>>>

>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>
>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/

> Interesting. I can clearly hear all the way up to 17khz and they make
> my ears hurt! I can't hear the 18khz tone. I just turned 39 and I have
> never liked loud music or loud noises...

If you have a good set of speakers you might be able to hear the high
frequency tones - however, most people won't be able to play the high
tones - their crappy computer sound system won't have the capability. On
my system, only the 12 KHz sounds like it might have a chance to be a
pure sine wave tone - the rest is all harmonic distortion and digital
distortions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> As people age they lose some of their high-frequency hearing... if you
> like loud music/concerts/live entertainment events, you lose some of
> your high-frequency hearing... if you are overfond of walkmans or
> earpieces, you lose some of your high frequency hearing... and you
> lose some as a natural consequence of getting older.

Not only that, but I once read a study that said men begin to
naturally lose their hearing after the age of 25. Some of the kids
around here play their iTunes or whatever so loud, a person can hear
it note for note 15 feet away - that can't be good. OTOH, I have the
hearing of a 20-year-old - meaning, fabulous. It's about the only
thing about me that's like a 20-year-old. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote

> Many reputable hearing aid dealers
> will offer a hearing test at a low cost or no cost.

Many DISREPUTABLE ones will, also, so be careful.
I'd get references from a doctor I trust.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2010 5:50 AM, Kajikit wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 07:41:36 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2010 9:41 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> "Nancy > wrote in message

>>> I've heard of that mosquito thing, but never heard it. Hmmm.
>>>

>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>
>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/

> Interesting. I can clearly hear all the way up to 17khz and they make
> my ears hurt! I can't hear the 18khz tone. I just turned 39 and I have
> never liked loud music or loud noises...

I have a roll off at between 5,000 and 7,000 Hz. Anything above that and
... nada!

It was probably the stock car racing I was involved in back when I was a
young 'un!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2010 6:42 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 6/9/2010 9:50 AM, Kajikit wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 07:41:36 -0400, >
>> wrote:

>>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>>
>>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/
>>>

>> Interesting. I can clearly hear all the way up to 17khz and they make
>> my ears hurt! I can't hear the 18khz tone. I just turned 39 and I have
>> never liked loud music or loud noises...

> If you have a good set of speakers you might be able to hear the high
> frequency tones - however, most people won't be able to play the high
> tones - their crappy computer sound system won't have the capability. On
> my system, only the 12 KHz sounds like it might have a chance to be a
> pure sine wave tone - the rest is all harmonic distortion and digital
> distortions.

I tossed out my HiFi speakers long ago. No point having speakers that
can reach 20KHz when you don't even hear beyond 10KHz.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 11:23 AM, Krypsis wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 6:42 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 6/9/2010 9:50 AM, Kajikit wrote:

>>> Interesting. I can clearly hear all the way up to 17khz and they make
>>> my ears hurt! I can't hear the 18khz tone. I just turned 39 and I have
>>> never liked loud music or loud noises...

>> If you have a good set of speakers you might be able to hear the high
>> frequency tones - however, most people won't be able to play the high
>> tones - their crappy computer sound system won't have the capability. On
>> my system, only the 12 KHz sounds like it might have a chance to be a
>> pure sine wave tone - the rest is all harmonic distortion and digital
>> distortions.

> I tossed out my HiFi speakers long ago. No point having speakers that
> can reach 20KHz when you don't even hear beyond 10KHz.
>
> Krypsis

What you say does make sense but good speakers will always sound better
than crappy speakers even if you do have some hearing loss. OTOH, we're
talking about the frequency response of the ears. You might still be
able to hear above 10 KHz but you'd need more sound energy to perceive
it. I think that people with a hearing loss would find that a boost in
the higher frequencies clears things up. Get an equalizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2010 7:37 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 6/9/2010 11:23 AM, Krypsis wrote:

>>> If you have a good set of speakers you might be able to hear the high
>>> frequency tones - however, most people won't be able to play the high
>>> tones - their crappy computer sound system won't have the capability. On
>>> my system, only the 12 KHz sounds like it might have a chance to be a
>>> pure sine wave tone - the rest is all harmonic distortion and digital
>>> distortions.

>> I tossed out my HiFi speakers long ago. No point having speakers that
>> can reach 20KHz when you don't even hear beyond 10KHz.
>>
>> Krypsis
>>

> What you say does make sense but good speakers will always sound better
> than crappy speakers even if you do have some hearing loss. OTOH, we're
> talking about the frequency response of the ears. You might still be
> able to hear above 10 KHz but you'd need more sound energy to perceive
> it. I think that people with a hearing loss would find that a boost in
> the higher frequencies clears things up. Get an equalizer.

Dramatic rolloff above 5KHz in the right ear, above 7KHz in the left
ear! No matter how good the speakers, I'm still not going to hear the
high frequencies.
Also, I have an equaliser and it's out in the shed with what remains of
my HiFi equipment.

When you have LoFi ears, HiFi equipment is a waste.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>> It would not be valid to infer from this study that hearing
>> protection is not needed by frequent concertgoers.

>As far as studies goes, this one seems to be fairly large and seeks to
>track hearing loss on a generational basis. What would be the point of
>limiting the study to a sub-population? One of the conclusions that can
>and will be made is that the boomers appear to have better hearing
>health than their parents.

>Whether you agree or disagree with it, this study will be considered
>important and will be cited in the med journals and the popular press.
>Sorry about that.

Sorry about the fact that you cited a study that is irrelevant
to the topic being discussed...

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 11:47 AM, Krypsis wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 7:37 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I tossed out my HiFi speakers long ago. No point having speakers that
>>> can reach 20KHz when you don't even hear beyond 10KHz.
>>>
>>> Krypsis
>>>

>> What you say does make sense but good speakers will always sound better
>> than crappy speakers even if you do have some hearing loss. OTOH, we're
>> talking about the frequency response of the ears. You might still be
>> able to hear above 10 KHz but you'd need more sound energy to perceive
>> it. I think that people with a hearing loss would find that a boost in
>> the higher frequencies clears things up. Get an equalizer.

> Dramatic rolloff above 5KHz in the right ear, above 7KHz in the left
> ear! No matter how good the speakers, I'm still not going to hear the
> high frequencies.
> Also, I have an equaliser and it's out in the shed with what remains of
> my HiFi equipment.
>
> When you have LoFi ears, HiFi equipment is a waste.

Bah! Your fancy schmancy equipment is way too HiFi! These days I use a
telephone receiver to listen to music - pretty soon I'm ditching that
and using a big seashell I found!

> Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Good summation here and some test tones:
>
> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/

Neat! I could hear 11, 12 and 13 clearly. After that it's faint but still
audible, but only up to 16. I had the speakers up all the way when I
started being unable to hear it, and probably ****ed off the cats.

Thanks everyone who suggested a hearing test. I will do that. The rest of
the conversation has been interesting, too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Good summation here and some test tones:
>
> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...-youre-a-young
> un/

I could hear up to the 16Kh, but I've been very protective of my hearing.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "George" > wrote in message
> > Good summation here and some test tones:
> >
> > http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ll-youre-a-you
> > ngun/

> Neat! I could hear 11, 12 and 13 clearly. After that it's faint but still
> audible, but only up to 16. I had the speakers up all the way when I
> started being unable to hear it, and probably ****ed off the cats.
>
> Thanks everyone who suggested a hearing test. I will do that. The rest of
> the conversation has been interesting, too!

Those tones royally annoyed Ka. He's currently curled up on my lap
again for warmth. I do keep the house pretty cold.<g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2010 4:41 AM, George wrote:

> Good summation here and some test tones:
>
> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/

I could hear each of the test tones all the way up to 18 khz. Some of
them sounded like the tone is wrong or the volume was not at the correct
level as all of the other tones. I am 50 years old for reverence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:54:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>
>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...-youre-a-young
>> un/

> I could hear up to the 16Kh, but I've been very protective of my
> hearing.

I could hear them all - right up to 18KHz.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 7:12*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from Dan Abel > contains these words:
>
> > OK, now you've reached about the limit of my knowledge. *The problem is
> > that you may or may not know what are or are not missing. *I would
> > suggest a hearing test. *Those people can determine what's going on, and
> > maybe tell you if you are missing anything, and more importantly,
> > whether there is anything reasonable you can do about it.
> > I have two pretty important people in my life who are in major denial
> > about their hearing loss. *At first they denied everything,

> * This is pretty common, partly because people in slow hearing decline
> genuinely don't notice the very gradual change, nor do they notice
> the gradual increase in *compensation tactics ( turning up the *sound
> volume; relying more on email, *shorter *more one-sided *phone calls).

My parents are that way. They have their tv up much higher than I
prefer, and they don't realize it isn't normal.

I have been the opposite. I have been aware of my hearing problems for
a long time, but I do better on hearing tests than I should. When I
was 19, I went to Mexico to visit my exchange sister. I had trouble
hearing, and went in for a hearing test. They said I was fine. It was
probably just the different language, which I was not picking up as
well.

Thinking back, it was the language difference that was throwing off my
normal compensation techniques, many of which I wasn't fully aware I
was using. Their tests were all about listening to beeps and tones. I
can hear them, and I can hear people talking. I just have trouble
distinguishing the words sometimes. Especially if I am unable to see
the speakers lips. I didn't realize how much I rely on that until a
couple years ago. I knew for years that I don't do eye contact as well
as I should because I am watching the mouth, which seemed logical to
me since that is the part that is moving. I hadn't made the connection
that I was doing it because I needed to. I would actually like to
learn better how to read lips since I do usually need the context to
have it work. I can't just mute the tv and understand it. But at work,
I can understand a lot of the requests just be knowing what they are
looking at and what they may want to order. I do have trouble with the
similarity of "have a pound" and "half a pound", so I will ask for
clarification a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <K51Qn.311$4w7.179@hurricane>,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:54:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > George > wrote:
> >
> >> Good summation here and some test tones:
> >>
> >> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ell-youre-a-yo
> >> ung
> >> un/

> > I could hear up to the 16Kh, but I've been very protective of my
> > hearing.

> I could hear them all - right up to 18KHz.

Cool. I probably have some hearing damage from an early age. Dad used
to take us rifle shooting on weekends in California and he was not in to
hearing protection. He's having a lot of hearing issues lately. I use
hearing protection routinely now when I go to the range.

Many an old soldier has bad hearing loss if they actually fought.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rhelsenborg" > wrote in message
> On 6/9/2010 4:41 AM, George wrote:
>
>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>
>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/

> I could hear each of the test tones all the way up to 18 khz. Some of them
> sounded like the tone is wrong or the volume was not at the correct level
> as all of the other tones. I am 50 years old for reverence.

I don't know if they still do it, but here in UK, someone started to play
high frequency sounds at points where young people congregated to drive them
away. They could hear it but not older people.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2010 8:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "rhelsenborg" > wrote in message
>> On 6/9/2010 4:41 AM, George wrote:
>>
>>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>>
>>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...ure-a-youngun/
>>>

>> I could hear each of the test tones all the way up to 18 khz. Some of
>> them sounded like the tone is wrong or the volume was not at the
>> correct level as all of the other tones. I am 50 years old for reverence.

> I don't know if they still do it, but here in UK, someone started to
> play high frequency sounds at points where young people congregated to
> drive them away. They could hear it but not older people.

One of the methods they are trying here is to play classical music in
those areas. That also causes crowds of youngsters to dissipate! ;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 05:02:26 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article <K51Qn.311$4w7.179@hurricane>,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:54:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>> > I could hear up to the 16Kh, but I've been very protective of my
>> > hearing.

>> I could hear them all - right up to 18KHz.

> Cool. I probably have some hearing damage from an early age. Dad used
> to take us rifle shooting on weekends in California and he was not in to
> hearing protection. He's having a lot of hearing issues lately. I use
> hearing protection routinely now when I go to the range.

I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be laughed at
by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg, borrow
or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of cotton
wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
said I was being a "wuss".

Heh, "wussy" or not - even though the cotton wool might not have been
as effective as the "real thing" - at least I didn't have my ears
ringing for hours after a session... and I wasn't shouting at the top of
my voice like the rest of them (because they couldn't hear themselves
speak at normal levels) when we went back to the club house for a
BBQ/grill and a "toot" afterward either.

And I can still hear pretty well - when it suits me ;-) - even tho' I'm
no longer a young'un by any stretch of the imagination.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 10/06/2010 8:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I could hear each of the test tones all the way up to 18 khz. Some of
>>> them sounded like the tone is wrong or the volume was not at the
>>> correct level as all of the other tones. I am 50 years old for
>>> reverence.

>> I don't know if they still do it, but here in UK, someone started to
>> play high frequency sounds at points where young people congregated to
>> drive them away. They could hear it but not older people.
>>>

> One of the methods they are trying here is to play classical music in
> those areas. That also causes crowds of youngsters to dissipate! ;-)

On the other hand, it could attract the oldies like me)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/06/2010 10:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Krypsis" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> I don't know if they still do it, but here in UK, someone started to
>>> play high frequency sounds at points where young people congregated to
>>> drive them away. They could hear it but not older people.
>>>>

>> One of the methods they are trying here is to play classical music in
>> those areas. That also causes crowds of youngsters to dissipate! ;-)

> On the other hand, it could attract the oldies like me)

I think that's the idea! Get the moneyed ones in through the doors! ;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:54:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> George > wrote:
>>
>>> Good summation here and some test tones:
>>>
>>> http://journal.plasticmind.com/ears/...-youre-a-young
>>> un/

>> I could hear up to the 16Kh, but I've been very protective of my
>> hearing.

>I could hear them all - right up to 18KHz.

I don't need any steenkin' Hertz..

I've been audio tested many times with voluptuious feminine
pulchritude pressing my ears in a vice like grip and I can still hear
all the low frequency moans and high frequency squeals.

And it doesn't Hurtz! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2010 11:44 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

>> This is less of a problem unless you have your bass turned up real high
>> or have a sub-woofer. Lower frequency sounds tend to cause ear damage
>> sooner than other frequencies.

> Whoa. Back up. Any noise above 85 db can do damage. In the Navy they
> told us that highs did the damage but I can't find any medical support
> for that.

True enough about the 85 db limit. I have read somewhere years ago - not
on the net - that bass sounds can damage speaker membranes earlier than
high frequency sounds. The same is probably true for eardrums I imagine.
Ever remove a speaker cover and feel (or see) the speaker movement from
the bass? Or been in a car with a sub-woofer with the bass turned up
high or at the max. I have. It was causing vibration in the glass/frame
of my car. I have never felt that from high frequencies have you?

rh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2010 8:39 AM, brooklyn1 wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:54:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>

>> I could hear them all - right up to 18KHz.

> I don't need any steenkin' Hertz..
>
> I've been audio tested many times with voluptuious feminine
> pulchritude pressing my ears in a vice like grip and I can still hear
> all the low frequency moans and high frequency squeals.

Yeah sure you have and then you woke up! Anyone that talks and daresay
(I do dare) brags like you do has most likely never been with a woman.
If you ever did she was probably inflatable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rhelsenborg wrote:

>> Whoa. Back up. Any noise above 85 db can do damage. In the Navy they
>> told us that highs did the damage but I can't find any medical support
>> for that.

> True enough about the 85 db limit. I have read somewhere years ago - not
> on the net - that bass sounds can damage speaker membranes earlier than
> high frequency sounds. The same is probably true for eardrums I imagine.
> Ever remove a speaker cover and feel (or see) the speaker movement from
> the bass? Or been in a car with a sub-woofer with the bass turned up
> high or at the max. I have. It was causing vibration in the glass/frame
> of my car. I have never felt that from high frequencies have you?

Sound is vibration, transmitted through the atmosphere in the form of
fluctuations in air pressure. Inside the cochlea (in the inner ear)
there are little hairs that respond to various frequencies. Those can be
destroyed by high levels of sound. There are a lot more of those
receptors for the mid ranges than there are for the high and low ranges,
so an equal amount of damage to the entire system causes relatively
greater loss at the extreme ends of the normal hearing range. With more
receptors in the mid ranges, the loss is less noticeable.

The ear is a specialized sensory system that helps to distinguish
sounds, even at high frequency, but the really low tones are slow enough
that the rest of the body can feel the vibration. Your car window may be
vibrating in time to the high frequencies too, but those are too fine
for you to see. The bass tones are slow enough for you to see the
vibration, and having a powerful sub woofer provides enough force to be
visibly noticeable and for you to feel the sound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2010 7:03 PM, rhelsenborg wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 11:44 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>>> This is less of a problem unless you have your bass turned up real high
>>> or have a sub-woofer. Lower frequency sounds tend to cause ear damage
>>> sooner than other frequencies.

>> Whoa. Back up. Any noise above 85 db can do damage. In the Navy they
>> told us that highs did the damage but I can't find any medical support
>> for that.

> True enough about the 85 db limit. I have read somewhere years ago - not
> on the net - that bass sounds can damage speaker membranes earlier than
> high frequency sounds. The same is probably true for eardrums I imagine.

Damaged eardrums aren't what make you go deaf though. A ruptured
eardrum will usually heal on its own in a few weeks, or if it doesn't it
can be surgically repaired. It's loss of hair cells in the cochlea that
make you go deaf--when one of those dies it doesn't grew back and can't
be repaired (they're working on that--in 20 years there may be a neat
clean implant--right now the ones they have have wires coming out of
your head and parts hanging off of you and aren't complete replacements
anyway).

> Ever remove a speaker cover and feel (or see) the speaker movement from
> the bass? Or been in a car with a sub-woofer with the bass turned up
> high or at the max. I have. It was causing vibration in the glass/frame
> of my car. I have never felt that from high frequencies have you?

You can feel it but that doesn't mean that it's killing your hair cells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <hA4Qn.3235$D81.1327@hurricane>,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> > Cool. I probably have some hearing damage from an early age. Dad used
> > to take us rifle shooting on weekends in California and he was not in to
> > hearing protection. He's having a lot of hearing issues lately. I use
> > hearing protection routinely now when I go to the range.

> I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
> thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be laughed at
> by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
> range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg, borrow
> or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of cotton
> wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
> said I was being a "wuss".

Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
always issued by them. ;-)

> Heh, "wussy" or not - even though the cotton wool might not have been
> as effective as the "real thing" - at least I didn't have my ears
> ringing for hours after a session... and I wasn't shouting at the top of
> my voice like the rest of them (because they couldn't hear themselves
> speak at normal levels) when we went back to the club house for a
> BBQ/grill and a "toot" afterward either.
>
> And I can still hear pretty well - when it suits me ;-) - even tho' I'm
> no longer a young'un by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I'll bet that they are regretting it now!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
>> thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be laughed at
>> by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
>> range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg, borrow
>> or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of cotton
>> wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
>> said I was being a "wuss".

> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
> for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
> always issued by them. ;-)

I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.

One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
ringing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
>>> thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be
>>> laughed at
>>> by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
>>> range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg,
>>> borrow
>>> or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of
>>> cotton
>>> wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
>>> said I was being a "wuss".

>> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range
>> office for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam
>> earplugs is always issued by them. ;-)

> I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
> proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.
>
> One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
> forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
> in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
> ringing.

I've worn hearing protection muffs for years. Just recently bought a
pair that are battery powered and have a chip. Wear them and converse
normally with whomever is with you, fire a shot and you don't hear it. I
am really liking them after just a few uses, not to mention they are a
comfortable fit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley > wrote:

>On 6/12/2010 9:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range
>>> office for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam
>>> earplugs is always issued by them. ;-)

>> I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
>> proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.

>> One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
>> forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
>> in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
>> ringing.

>I've worn hearing protection muffs for years. Just recently bought a
>pair that are battery powered and have a chip. Wear them and converse
>normally with whomever is with you, fire a shot and you don't hear it. I
>am really liking them after just a few uses, not to mention they are a
>comfortable fit.

This is probably one of the reasons that persons 55 and under
have better hearing than previous generations -- although they
may have been to more rock concerts, the men from the older
generations nearly all went through at least basic training if not
served on a battlefield. Soldiers did not use ear protection
in mid-20th-century wars.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> I think a lot of us are guilty of thinking that our bodies and parts
> >> thereof are indestructible when we're young(ish). I used to be laughed at
> >> by family and friends (25 years ago) when we went to the shooting
> >> range; if there was no proper hearing-protection available to beg, borrow
> >> or steal from the club "pros", I'd just stuff my ears with wads of cotton
> >> wool, which I always took with me. My aforementioned family/friends all
> >> said I was being a "wuss".

> > Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
> > for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
> > always issued by them. ;-)

> I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
> proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.

I do during the winter, but they are too hot during the summer.
I don't use the foam issued earplugs. I have a decent pair of good ear
plugs I bought at Cabela's. Rubber earplugs that have three sort of
baffles. They do a really good job but one of these days I want to
spring for a pair of the electronic ones that allow you to hear
normally, but block all sound above a certain decibel level. ;-)

> One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
> forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
> in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
> ringing.

And you probably have permanent hearing damage from that one session
too. :-(
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> >> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range
> >> office for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam
> >> earplugs is always issued by them. ;-)

> > I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
> > proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.
> >
> > One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
> > forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
> > in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
> > ringing.
> >

> I've worn hearing protection muffs for years. Just recently bought a
> pair that are battery powered and have a chip. Wear them and converse
> normally with whomever is with you, fire a shot and you don't hear it. I
> am really liking them after just a few uses, not to mention they are a
> comfortable fit.

Our firearms instructor for the NRA course I took let me borrow his for
a few minutes to see what they were like. IMHO, they are very much
worth the investment!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/06/2010 9:32 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In ng.com>,
> Dave > wrote:

>>> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
>>> for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
>>> always issued by them. ;-)

>> I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
>> proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.

> I do during the winter, but they are too hot during the summer.
> I don't use the foam issued earplugs. I have a decent pair of good ear
> plugs I bought at Cabela's. Rubber earplugs that have three sort of
> baffles. They do a really good job but one of these days I want to
> spring for a pair of the electronic ones that allow you to hear
> normally, but block all sound above a certain decibel level. ;-)
>

>> One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
>> forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
>> in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
>> ringing.

> And you probably have permanent hearing damage from that one session
> too. :-(

If the ears ring for more than 10 minutes afterwards, permanent damage
has been done!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 7:32 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In ng.com>,
> Dave > wrote:

>>> Heh! When we sign the liability card when coming in to the range office
>>> for targets and paying the fee, a pair of disposable foam earplugs is
>>> always issued by them. ;-)

>> I find those plug in ear protectors next to useless. I prefer to use
>> proper hearing protection, the ear muff style.

> I do during the winter, but they are too hot during the summer.
> I don't use the foam issued earplugs. I have a decent pair of good ear
> plugs I bought at Cabela's. Rubber earplugs that have three sort of
> baffles. They do a really good job but one of these days I want to
> spring for a pair of the electronic ones that allow you to hear
> normally, but block all sound above a certain decibel level. ;-)

For some reason those rubber plugs seem like they just must be better
than the foam ones but the foam ones perform substantially better.

>> One day last year I got to the (indoor) range and realized I had
>> forgotten my ear protection so I used the ear plugs that I always carry
>> in my case. they weren't bad with the .22, but the 9mm left my ears
>> ringing.

> And you probably have permanent hearing damage from that one session
> too. :-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> For some reason those rubber plugs seem like they just must be better
> than the foam ones but the foam ones perform substantially better.

YMMV. I've not had good luck with the foam ones. These have a set of 3
rings around them so they seal well.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> This is probably one of the reasons that persons 55 and under
> have better hearing than previous generations -- although they
> may have been to more rock concerts, the men from the older
> generations nearly all went through at least basic training if not
> served on a battlefield. Soldiers did not use ear protection
> in mid-20th-century wars.

There are now regulations about the use of ear protection in jobs that
did not require them when I was younger. I was in the reserves and we
never used any hearing protection on shooting ranges. We used to shoot
rifles, machine guns, handguns, howitzers and toss hand grenades, and
ringing ears often resulted. When I was going to university I had a
summer job in an alloy smelting plant and operated a tilting arc furnace
that was so loud that you could not possibly carry on a conversation
while it was running. As a result, I have some hearing loss.