Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone have experience with ceramic blades?

I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. It chipped
when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. As soon as it
hit bone it chipped. It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
it broke off. I should know better being a machinist; ceramics take a
light cut with not much in the way of cutting forces; they'll break/
chip during intermittent cutting. They are not made for a good depth
of cut (roughing). They are made for finishing. Ceramics are
harder and much more brittle than even very hard steels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 12:36*pm, A Moose In Love >
wrote:
> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. *It chipped
> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. *As soon as it
> hit bone it chipped. *It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
> it broke off.

Thanks for convincing me I don't need to waste my money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 8, 9:36*am, A Moose In Love > wrote:
> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. *It chipped
> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. *As soon as it
> hit bone it chipped. *It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
> it broke off. *I should know better being a machinist; ceramics take a
> light cut with not much in the way of cutting forces; they'll break/
> chip during intermittent cutting. *They are not made for a good depth
> of cut (roughing). *They are made for finishing. * *Ceramics are
> harder and much more brittle than even very hard steels.

yup......very sharp, cut beautifully, breathe on it and it breaks....

not worth the expense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 1:35*pm, Andy > wrote:
> A Moose In Love > wrote:
>
> > I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. *It chipped
> > when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. *As soon as it
> > hit bone it chipped. *It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
> > it broke off. *I should know better being a machinist; ceramics take a
> > light cut with not much in the way of cutting forces; they'll break/
> > chip during intermittent cutting. *They are not made for a good depth
> > of cut (roughing). *They are made for finishing. * *Ceramics are
> > harder and much more brittle than even very hard steels.

> A Moose In Love,
>
> My ceramic knife can just about cut through steak practically just by
> gravity, without sawing.
>
> I cut myself a day or two after owning it, almost down to the bone. It
> quickly hurt like heck and blood surfaced but the cut was so fine, my
> flesh healed up in seconds! It was quite something to witness!!!
>
> A ceramic paring knife, I don't see the point, excuse the pun.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

That's punny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Subject

It's reputation preceded it.

I passed.

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2010 12:54 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:36 pm, A Moose In >
> wrote:
>> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. It chipped
>> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. As soon as it
>> hit bone it chipped. It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
>> it broke off.

> Thanks for convincing me I don't need to waste my money.

FWIW, Bed Bath and Beyond has a pair of ceramic knifes for something
like 30 bucks--while the shapes and handles may not be anybody's ideal,
they have the basic properties--give you an idea of what they're like
without breaking the bank.

If you are only going to have one knife then you don't want it to be
ceramic, if you have an empty hole in a big knife block a ceramic blade
may be a good choice to fill it, with the understanding that it's a
specialized tool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 10:42*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 12:54 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Jun 8, 12:36 pm, A Moose In >
> > wrote:
> >> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. *It chipped
> >> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. *As soon as it
> >> hit bone it chipped. *It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
> >> it broke off.

> > Thanks for convincing me I don't need to waste my money.

> FWIW, Bed Bath and Beyond has a pair of ceramic knifes for something
> like 30 bucks--while the shapes and handles may not be anybody's ideal,
> they have the basic properties--give you an idea of what they're like
> without breaking the bank.
>
> If you are only going to have one knife then you don't want it to be
> ceramic, if you have an empty hole in a big knife block a ceramic blade
> may be a good choice to fill it, with the understanding that it's a
> specialized tool.

It's a specialized tool, and there are different grades of ceramics.
I probably had a cheap grade from China. The paring knife itself was
very cheap and seemed like a bargain. It wasn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jun 8, 9:36 am, A Moose In Love > wrote:
>> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. It chipped
>> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. As soon as it
>> hit bone it chipped. It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
>> it broke off. I should know better being a machinist; ceramics take a
>> light cut with not much in the way of cutting forces; they'll break/
>> chip during intermittent cutting. They are not made for a good depth
>> of cut (roughing). They are made for finishing. Ceramics are
>> harder and much more brittle than even very hard steels.

> yup......very sharp, cut beautifully, breathe on it and it breaks....
>
> not worth the expense.

They aren't quite that delicate. I have had ceramic knives for more than
10 years. We chipped the end off one of them shortly after we got it,
but it is still quite usable. We bought one for my mother and after she
died I got it back. I found a special sharpening for them last year and
touched them up. They are once again razor sharp and I find them quite
useful. But you do have to be careful with them. No bones, no hard
plastic, no prying, no ice chipping or cutting frozen things, don't drop
them. You can easily live without them, but they can be very handy when
you need a really sharp knife and don't want to have to sharpen it all
the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose In Love wrote:

> I bought a ceramic blade paring knife about 3 months ago. It chipped
> when I was cutting the rib tips off of some back ribs. As soon as it
> hit bone it chipped. It dropped on the floor a week ago, and half of
> it broke off. I should know better being a machinist; ceramics take a
> light cut with not much in the way of cutting forces; they'll break/
> chip during intermittent cutting. They are not made for a good depth
> of cut (roughing). They are made for finishing. Ceramics are
> harder and much more brittle than even very hard steels.

That matches my own experience with my first Boker ceramic knife. Yet
now we have a set of Boker ceramic and my wife loves them. She is
careful with them and so far has not chipped any.