Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source for coconut oil - nothing online seems better than local Whole Foods

A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.

Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?

FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
remember during which I didn't get a cold.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
> experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
> daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
> expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
> my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
> guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
> quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>
> Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?
>
> FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
> been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
> or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
> remember during which I didn't get a cold.
>
> -S-

Try Lou Ana brand. I can get it locally and it's less expensive than
Olive Oil. It's supposed to be good for senile dementia too so I'm back
to trying it on dad.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 10:17:49 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
>experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
>daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
>expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
>my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
>guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
>quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>
>Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?
>
>FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
>been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
>or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
>remember during which I didn't get a cold.

$10.25/qt:
http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Presse...758426&sr=1-44
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 10:17:49 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

> A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
> experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
> daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
> expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
> my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
> guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
> quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>
> Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?
>
> FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
> been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
> or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
> remember during which I didn't get a cold.

I have Mark killfiled, but if he hasn't stopped by yet, expect him
to be here soon armed with a virtual briefcase full of
"scientific" reports on the Evils of Coconut Oil.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
> experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
> daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
> expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
> my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
> guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
> quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>
> Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?
>
> FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
> been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
> or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
> remember during which I didn't get a cold.
>
> -S-

I buy LouAna brand at the local supermarket. It's next to the
shortening.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I buy LouAna brand at the local supermarket. It's next to the
> shortening.

You're the second person to mention this brand, but it's not something
I've ever seen in any grocery store in my part of the world. Thanks,
though.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joy wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
>> experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
>> daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
>> expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I
>> get at my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml),
>> that I'm guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying
>> the stuff in quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>>
>> Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?

> The best price for quality coconut oil I've found is at Mountain Rose
> Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/buyorgan.html Last time I
> ordered it was $37/gallon plus s/h.
>
> I've been taking it for over a year now. This was the first winter I
> didn't gain weight. I did catch one cold, but it wasn't a very bad
> one and it only lasted about 3 days. I like it in my homemade dark
> chocolate cocoa mix--extra antioxidants.

This looks like a great deal - many thanks.

I would love to hear more about your homemade dark chocolate cocoa mix.
I sometimes warmup up coconut oil and chocolate chips for desert, and my
wife has done some experimenting with a baked desert of flaked coconut,
almond flour, and chocolate. (Almonds are another staple here - again,
very good for you while tasting great.) In particular, I'm curious
about not only the recipe but exactly what dark chocolate cocoa you use,
since there seems to be quite a wide variation of sweetness amongst
different products that say they are the same percentage of chocolate
solids.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > I buy LouAna brand at the local supermarket. It's next to the
> > shortening.

> You're the second person to mention this brand, but it's not something
> I've ever seen in any grocery store in my part of the world. Thanks,
> though.
>
> -S-

I forget where you live Steve.

I find it in the regular cooking oil section, next to the Olive Oil.
It's in plastic jars, not in bottles. It may be there and you've simply
not noted it. :-) I never saw it either until I went looking for it:

<http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lou-Ana-Al...1.5-fl-oz/1044
8863>

Evidently even Wal-mart carries it. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> I buy LouAna brand at the local supermarket. It's next to the
>>> shortening.

>> You're the second person to mention this brand, but it's not
>> something I've ever seen in any grocery store in my part of the
>> world. Thanks, though.
>>
>> -S-

> I forget where you live Steve.

Northern NJ, just outside of NYC.

> I find it in the regular cooking oil section, next to the Olive Oil.
> It's in plastic jars, not in bottles. It may be there and you've
> simply not noted it. :-) I never saw it either until I went looking
> for it:
>
> <http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lou-Ana-Al...1.5-fl-oz/1044
> 8863>
>
> Evidently even Wal-mart carries it. :-)

There actually is not a WalMart nearby, a fact for which I'm thankful.
There is a K-Mart, but at this point in my life, I'd say I go there
maybe once every few years, if that. I don't get to the regular grocery
store much, either, which for me is the local Stop 'N' Shop. We have a
somewhat fancy grocery store, Kings, where I find my refined coconut oil
(used when I don't want any coconut flavor), but again that's about all
I buy there. Most of my shopping is split between Trader Joe's and
Whole Foods. FWIW, the Stop 'N' Shop _used_ to carry refined coconut
oil, but they stopped maybe a year ago - I asked, and the person there
confirmed that they'd just decided not to carry it any longer.

The link Joy posted also has refined coconut oil, so I will probably buy
both at the same time from them.

The price for Whole Food's own brand, called 365, for organic, virgin
coconut oil is pretty good at $7 for a pint jar, but Joy's link will be
cheaper still and I'm sure it will be as good or better.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> > I forget where you live Steve.

> Northern NJ, just outside of NYC.

Might want to talk to Sheldon. He lives in that area and is quite the
foodie.

> > I find it in the regular cooking oil section, next to the Olive Oil.
> > It's in plastic jars, not in bottles. It may be there and you've
> > simply not noted it. :-) I never saw it either until I went looking
> > for it:
> >
> > <http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lou-Ana-Al...1.5-fl-oz/1044
> > 8863>
> >
> > Evidently even Wal-mart carries it. :-)

> There actually is not a WalMart nearby, a fact for which I'm thankful.
> There is a K-Mart, but at this point in my life, I'd say I go there
> maybe once every few years, if that. I don't get to the regular grocery
> store much, either, which for me is the local Stop 'N' Shop. We have a
> somewhat fancy grocery store, Kings, where I find my refined coconut oil
> (used when I don't want any coconut flavor), but again that's about all
> I buy there. Most of my shopping is split between Trader Joe's and
> Whole Foods. FWIW, the Stop 'N' Shop _used_ to carry refined coconut
> oil, but they stopped maybe a year ago - I asked, and the person there
> confirmed that they'd just decided not to carry it any longer.
>
> The link Joy posted also has refined coconut oil, so I will probably buy
> both at the same time from them.
>
> The price for Whole Food's own brand, called 365, for organic, virgin
> coconut oil is pretty good at $7 for a pint jar, but Joy's link will be
> cheaper still and I'm sure it will be as good or better.
>
> -S-

Ok, well, good hunting then! If the price is high enough, mail order
could be an option.

My gmail works...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>A friend, who is a cooking school graduate, told me when she was
>experimenting a lot with coconut oil in recipes for her diabetic
>daughter, she would buy it online in quantity. I cannot find a less
>expensive source of extra-virgin, organic coconut oil than what I get at
>my local Whole Foods Market, which a 14 fl. oz. jar (414 ml), that I'm
>guessing weighs about a pound, costs $6.99. Even buying the stuff in
>quantity online doesn't seem less expensive.
>
>Anyone else a big coconut oil fan and care to share an online source?
>
>FWIW, we have read about the health benefits of coconut oil and I've
>been eating a few tablespoons of the stuff every day for the last year
>or so - has worked very well for me, and it was the first winter I can
>remember during which I didn't get a cold.

Been using coconut oil for many years, however, being in Australia,
not much point in suggesting to you where to buy it.

That said, I normally buy this brand:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/contact.htm which presumably you
should be able to order.

One thing to be aware of - there can be a vast difference in the
quality between brands. Even though most all will say they are extra
virgin and organic, the way the oil is extracted and processed can
make a big difference. If you're going to buy solely on price, you
might just be short-changing yourself...