Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The new Cooking Channel

OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.

I guess it's replacing Fine Living Network (where will their non-
cooking shows go?).

So far (40 minutes in) it's very impressive. The hosts seem like real,
enthusiastic cooks. The recipes seem like a refreshing change from
Food Network.

To be fair, I still watch Food Network, but not near as much as I used
to. Too many cake/competition shows. But I still like Giada and the
Barefoot Contessa.

But this channel seems more like the old Food Network - they're even
showing old Julia Child and Galloping Gourmet shows like they used to!
I hope it stays this way.

Anyone else catch any of it yet?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
> at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
> is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.

> Anyone else catch any of it yet?

I saw both Indian cooking and Chinese cooking with British accents.
Evidently they are running shows made across the pond. Must be a good way
to get use from the production costs. So far, it is Ok, but nothing super
about it, but I'll check out more of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 12:34*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message
> > OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
> > at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
> > is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.

> > Anyone else catch any of it yet?

> I saw both Indian cooking and Chinese cooking with British accents.
> Evidently they are running shows made across the pond. *Must be a good way
> to get use from the production costs. *So far, it is Ok, but nothing super
> about it, but I'll check out more of it.

Didn't see those episodes, but I think you're right about the imported
shows. They also use shows from Food Network Canada.

Should be good for mixing up cooking here in the US.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

> OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
> at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
> is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.
>
> I guess it's replacing Fine Living Network (where will their non-
> cooking shows go?).
>
> So far (40 minutes in) it's very impressive. The hosts seem like real,
> enthusiastic cooks. The recipes seem like a refreshing change from
> Food Network.
>
> To be fair, I still watch Food Network, but not near as much as I used
> to. Too many cake/competition shows. But I still like Giada and the
> Barefoot Contessa.
>
> But this channel seems more like the old Food Network - they're even
> showing old Julia Child and Galloping Gourmet shows like they used to!
> I hope it stays this way.
>
> Anyone else catch any of it yet?

I saw another commercial for it last night and wondered when it would
be on. Saw your message and turned on the TV thinking I'd have to
search for it, but voilą... there it was: The Cooking Channel. So
far I've watched about two minutes, but they're making cake and I'm
not interested in that. Hopefully the next show will be more engaging
for me... haven't looked at the Guide yet to see what's coming.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
> at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
> is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.
>
> I guess it's replacing Fine Living Network (where will their non-
> cooking shows go?).

Looks like you've guessed right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_Channel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:40:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

> They also use shows from Food Network Canada.

I'm glad to hear that. Canadians have mentioned Canadian FN shows
from time to time that sounded interesting.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> OK, so it's a wet rainy day, so I turn on the TV. I saw a "French Food
> at Home" show on the guide, so I turned to it and realized that today
> is the launch of the new Cooking Channel.
>
> I guess it's replacing Fine Living Network (where will their non-
> cooking shows go?).

Thanks for the heads up, my guide still shows Fine Living but the
shows are all cooking related. I'd forgotten they were about to
debut the new channel.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:24:43 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up, my guide still shows Fine Living but the
> shows are all cooking related. I'd forgotten they were about to
> debut the new channel.

So far, I'm not impressed. I hate the hand held camera work and all
the host talking to the camera shows look alike to me.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 2:44*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 13:24:43 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>
> > wrote:
> > Thanks for the heads up, my guide still shows Fine Living but the
> > shows are all cooking related. *I'd forgotten they were about to
> > debut the new channel.

> So far, I'm not impressed. *I hate the hand held camera work and all
> the host talking to the camera shows look alike to me. *
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

I saw a show later on that wasn't as good as the French one, but it
wasn't bad either.

I still hope this is an improvement over Food Network (especially with
the "vintage" shows).

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote
> I saw a show later on that wasn't as good as the French one, but it
> wasn't bad either.
>
> I still hope this is an improvement over Food Network (especially with
> the "vintage" shows).
>
> Kris

I'm sure there will be a couple of good ones as well as a couple of dogs.
I'm already tired of hearing that "Stay Hungry" thing though. Fortunately,
most of what we watch is recorded and played on the DVR and commercials are
skipped over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:03:56 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

> I saw a show later on that wasn't as good as the French one, but it
> wasn't bad either.

I don't know if I was too early or too late, but I didn't see anything
French.

> I still hope this is an improvement over Food Network (especially with
> the "vintage" shows).

Time will tell.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 12:45*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:03:56 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> > I saw a show later on that wasn't as good as the French one, but it
> > wasn't bad either.

> I don't know if I was too early or too late, but I didn't see anything
> French. *
>

> > I still hope this is an improvement over Food Network (especially with
> > the "vintage" shows).

> Time will tell.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

The French show is on at 11:30 EST, FYI.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> Anyone else catch any of it yet?

Here in Austin they put it up on the digital tier, which I'd have
to pay for. I have a rule: Never pay for CableTV. Time Warner
(and pretty much all cable companies) are greedy thieves. Even if
I did pay for my cable TV, I would have had to upgrade to the
highest tiers possible to see the shows I'd. They constantly move
the most popular channels to higher priced tiers requiring you to
upgrade constantly. And then they feed you this bullshit about
how they don't have room for all the new channels in the lower
tiers yet their old slots have remained without any sort of
programming for years. SO you have to upgrade to a tier that has
one extra channel you want, and 20 more infomercial channels.

And the way they've been fighting ala carte channel pricing for
decades is obviously the work of the lobbyists and the corrupt
FCC. My cable company also does not allow you to buy your own
equipment. You must rent it for $5/month (per room). So they're
making a *killing* on he equipment rental as well.

If I ever have to pay for my TV service I will get it from the
phone company - AT&T U-Verse, which is much more powerful than
Cable TV and more affordable.

-sw