Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A real friend

A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
buffalo.

The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
interesting.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
5/31/2010 in writing
> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes, a
> roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> buffalo.
>
> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
> interesting.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>
> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

Buffalo is gamey. Not as bad as venison, but just a bit pungent.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DanS." > wrote in message
> Steve B added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
> 5/31/2010 in writing
>> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I
>> thought it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut
>> he caught in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some
>> burger, rib eyes, a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him,
>> and found out it is buffalo.
>>
>> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
>> interesting.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>>
>> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an
>> insult.

> Buffalo is gamey. Not as bad as venison, but just a bit pungent.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> my dog rules

I have had it several times, and find it tasteful. The best cut I had was
at Mt. Rushmore Restaurant. But maybe it was the ambience of the moment.
Nah, it was just a good buffalo steak. As I said, this should be
interesting.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> buffalo.

I once asked about buffalo here and learned it is very lean. So take
that into consideration when you decide what you want to do with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2010 11:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> buffalo.
>
> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
> interesting.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>
> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

Does your friend need any more help, I'm pretty handy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> buffalo.
>
> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
> interesting.
>
> Steve
>
> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>
> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

Be sure to report. :-) Sounds very nice...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's a restaurant in the Wichita Mountains, near Lawton, OK, that
serves buffalo meat. We had the buffalo burgers, and couldn't really
tell any difference from regular hamburgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Steve B wrote:
>> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I
>> thought it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut
>> he caught in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some
>> burger, rib eyes, a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him,
>> and found out it is buffalo.
>>

> I once asked about buffalo here and learned it is very lean. So take that
> into consideration when you decide what you want to do with it.

I have used it instead of beef for a vegetable soup, and it was pretty good.
Will see how it does for burger patties, and maybe some chili. This is the
first steaks I have had of it in a very long time, as the market prices for
buffalo steak and roast are a little spendy.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 5/30/2010 11:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
>> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I
>> thought
>> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he
>> caught
>> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib
>> eyes,
>> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
>> buffalo.
>>
>> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
>> interesting.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>>
>> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an
>> insult.
>>

> Does your friend need any more help, I'm pretty handy?

He has a dang freezer FULL of the stuff. I'm going to try to get as much as
I can. The halibut is about an inch thick at least, and are fairly large,
about half a foot square to one foot square. I like to grill halibut, as it
stays together pretty well. I use the metal basket that I use for trout,
one of the folding kind. Works pretty good.

Steve

OOPS, there's that pesky spammer sig again ....................

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I
>> thought
>> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he
>> caught
>> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib
>> eyes,
>> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
>> buffalo.
>>
>> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
>> interesting.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>>
>> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an
>> insult.

> Be sure to report. :-) Sounds very nice...
> --
> Peace! Om

Hey, nice to hear from you. Will be in contact in about three weeks when I
complete this project and get back to work on the website. A couple of new
developments, one with CBS ............. to share with you.

Steve (sig omitted intentionally)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Steve B" > wrote:
> >
> >> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I
> >> thought
> >> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he
> >> caught
> >> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib
> >> eyes,
> >> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> >> buffalo.
> >>
> >> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
> >> interesting.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
> >>
> >> A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an
> >> insult.

> > Be sure to report. :-) Sounds very nice...
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Hey, nice to hear from you. Will be in contact in about three weeks when I
> complete this project and get back to work on the website. A couple of new
> developments, one with CBS ............. to share with you.
>
> Steve (sig omitted intentionally)

Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know when mine is up and running. I
plan to have a photography session this week with three models, if the
timing works out for them.

Artwork on a website is important. I need to make sure that it's all my
own original efforts. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
> it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
> in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
> a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
> buffalo.
>
> The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
> interesting.

Interesting? That sounds as though you are leery about it.
I've never cooked buffalo at home but quite a few Denver area
restaurants serve it as their signature dish and I've had it cooked
various ways. It has always been delicious, not at all gamey like elk,
moose, venison. (I think elk has a sweet flavor that I don't associate
with meat and don't particularly like.)

When people warn you not to overcook it, listen to them. It is very
lean meat and dries out if you cook it to well done.

Enjoy and let us know whether you liked it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in
:

> That sounds as though you are leery about it.
> I've never cooked buffalo at home but quite a few Denver area
> restaurants serve it as their signature dish and I've had it
> cooked various ways.

I do a bourguignon with bison stewing meat. We have a few butchers
not far from here where we can buy bison, emu, ostrich...

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:36:06 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>A friend of mine gave me some stuff for doing some work for him. I thought
>it was elk, but it was labeled beef. There was also some halibut he caught
>in Alaska that was vacuum sealed and frozen. I took some burger, rib eyes,
>a roast, and some other cuts. Then I talked to him, and found out it is
>buffalo.
>
>The halibut was delicious, and I have a lot more. The buffalo will be
>interesting.
>
>Steve
>
>visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book
>
>A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

Buffalo is delicious. To me it's like very tasty beef.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 05/31/10