Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 01:08:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 15 Jun 2010 05:40:40a, Lou Decruss told us...
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 03:29:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 14 Jun 2010 07:42:56p, Goomba told us...

>>>That's quite true. However, if you refuse to sign an agreement to
>>> the CC&R you can be denied the purchase.

>> I don't understand why someone with a negative feeling towards
>> HOA's would even get to the point of refusing to sign.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>I agree, but there are those who do get to that point. Go figure.

Poor homework or maybe a deceptive realtor. Mine was good and
mentioned the points that get complained about the most. I had no
problem with most of them so it wasn't a problem. All the rules are
online so going to closing and not knowing what's up is stupid.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 01:05:17 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > Some, yes, but I was referring to property and personal crimes. Like
> > muggings and home break-ins.

> Mugging, you're where you shouldn't be. Home break-in, you bought in
> a bad area or did something incredibly stupid like leaving the doors
> unlocked or the windows wide open when you left the house. Most
> robbers don't enter an occupied home, unless of course large amounts
> of cash, gold or drugs are on the premises. Two out of those three
> tell me you're probably up to no good too.
>

> > And rapes...

> If the female is attacked from behind and that's usually the case, a
> gun will not help that situation.

I don't live my life in fear... but it's nice to be prepared. :-)
I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but I still concern myself with home
security because one never knows. The entire property is fenced so all
windows and doors are enclosed, and I have dogs...

It just makes me feel more secure.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:39:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
>> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.

> Yeah. Pools are nice but I don't envy the owner. I know a few people
> with them and they take too much time for my liking. I'd be more
> impressed by great landscaping or a hot tub.

I'd be impressed by a nice house on a big property with room for horses,
overlooking a beautiful river. All paid for. Heh. A pool? If it didn't
come
with the house I wouldn't put one in. It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay
a lot for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

I'm pretty ambivalent about pools too. When I see them, I think
about safety issues and upkeep - fun in the pool comes dead last.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
>> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

> I'm pretty ambivalent about pools too. When I see them, I think
> about safety issues and upkeep - fun in the pool comes dead last.

I don't think that much about it, I think if people have one, it's
because they enjoy it. Same with horses or large gardens, it's
work unless you have staff. If you like gardening, that's your
hobby, and way more work than a pool.

There's only one thing that I see where I think Wow, that really
takes a lot of work. Raising children. Heh. I don't know how
people do it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
>> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

> I'm pretty ambivalent about pools too. When I see them, I think
> about safety issues and upkeep - fun in the pool comes dead last.

I don't think that much about it, I think if people have one, it's
because they enjoy it. Same with horses or large gardens, it's
work unless you have staff. If you like gardening, that's your
hobby, and way more work than a pool.

There's only one thing that I see where I think Wow, that really
takes a lot of work. Raising children. Heh. I don't know how
people do it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 16 Jun 2010 12:08:40p, Nancy Young told us...

>> I don't think that much about it, I think if people have one, it's
>> because they enjoy it. Same with horses or large gardens, it's
>> work unless you have staff. If you like gardening, that's your
>> hobby, and way more work than a pool.

> I think it's a little different here in the Phoenix area. Of course,
> there are people who don't have pools, but pools are almost
> ubiquitous in many areas. Some are maintained by homeowners, but
> many are maintained by pool services which probably charge less here
> than in other parts of the country.
>
> There are also neighborhoods where code and lot size permit
> homeowners to have horses. It's far more common than I would ever
> have imagined.

Around here, if you want a largish piece of property overlooking
a river, you are talking serious money, that's before you start
consider the cost of maintaining horses. Other areas, people
are more prone to having horses on their property, as you move
inland.

> In general, I don't think either are a status symbol here, just
> personal preference.

Exactly my point. A pool is certainly not a snob item for most
people.

> For a pool here to be a status symbol, it would have to be
> inordinately large, uniquely installed, and have elaborate water
> features like waterfalls, fountains, etc.

Very true.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2010 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:39:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> IMO swimming pools only have snob value to those that feel they have
>>> money to burn...

>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
>> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.

> Yeah. Pools are nice but I don't envy the owner. I know a few people
> with them and they take too much time for my liking. I'd be more
> impressed by great landscaping or a hot tub.
>
> Lou

When we bought this property there was an above ground pool in the
backyard, part of the purchase agreement was that there be NO pool there
before we signed. We still had to rake up about a half-ton of pea gravel
that has surrounded the pool. Should have put that in the contract too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:08:08 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> I don't think that much about it, I think if people have one, it's
> because they enjoy it.

I had to think about them for about 10 years because hubby was trying
that long to convince me it was a good idea to move. I saw a lot of
homes with pools, so every time I saw one at a home for sale... there
I was thinking about it again.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:08:40 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
> >> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

> > I'm pretty ambivalent about pools too. When I see them, I think
> > about safety issues and upkeep - fun in the pool comes dead last.

> I don't think that much about it, I think if people have one, it's
> because they enjoy it. Same with horses or large gardens, it's
> work unless you have staff. If you like gardening, that's your
> hobby, and way more work than a pool.
>
> There's only one thing that I see where I think Wow, that really
> takes a lot of work. Raising children. Heh. I don't know how
> people do it.

You're hiccupping again!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:22:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> For a pool here to be a status symbol, it would have to be
> inordinately large, uniquely installed, and have elaborate water
> features like waterfalls, fountains, etc.

There's some other kind?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:10:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> When we bought this property there was an above ground pool in the
> backyard, part of the purchase agreement was that there be NO pool there
> before we signed. We still had to rake up about a half-ton of pea gravel
> that has surrounded the pool. Should have put that in the contract too.

At least that eyesore was gone.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:08:40 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>> There's only one thing that I see where I think Wow, that really
>> takes a lot of work. Raising children. Heh. I don't know how
>> people do it.
>>

> You're hiccupping again!

(shrug) Not my doing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:33:30 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>Same thing for the example given at the top. If my house is in a HOA
>>that is failing, and my property is worth little, I can call the county
>>and ask them to reassess my property, presumably at a lower rate, and my
>>taxes will be lowered to reflect the actual situation.

> You are correct and that's where shemp is wrong. At least in most
> states. In my state property taxes are actually going up even though
> value has dropped like the rest of the country.
>
> Lou

there's a game that counties and other assessing entities play by
manipulating either the assessments or the rate until the revenue comes out
'right.' want to brag about a low tax rate? boop up the assessments.
want to brag about affordable houses? boop up the tax rate.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:39:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> IMO swimming pools only have snob value to those that feel they have
>> money to burn...

> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.
>
> nancy

a moat! and a drawbridge!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:33:38 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 02:08:03 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 14 Jun 2010 06:45:57p, Lou Decruss told us...

>>I've owned four homes in my life. The first two, including the one
>>in the picture, I made a considerable profit on. My first house in
>>AZ went into my bankruptcy, it was not a foreclosure. We lost a ton
>>of money during the dot com crisis and post 9/11, and I lost my job.
>>I couldn't find work for two years. We currently own our present
>>home.
>>
>>You couldn't prove anything to Sheld-putz even if you showed him a
>>notarized copy of the deed or bill of sale. It's not worth the time
>>and effort anyway.
>>
>>Of course, Sheld-putz owns everything outright, has never lost a job
>>and been without work, nor has he the capacity to take anyone at
>>their word. Being a pathological liar tends to make one disbelieve
>>others.

> You don't have to explain anything Wayne. Everyone has stuff happen.
> I'm just done listening to his insane rants and the stuff he
> fabricates.
>
> Lou

....and i might not mind the fabrications if he were better at them.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:39:17 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> IMO swimming pools only have snob value to those that feel they have
>>> money to burn...

>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
>> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.
>>
>> nancy

> a moat! and a drawbridge!

A vineyard, an orchard!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:10:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 6/16/2010 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:39:17 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:

>>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
>>> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.

>> Yeah. Pools are nice but I don't envy the owner. I know a few people
>> with them and they take too much time for my liking. I'd be more
>> impressed by great landscaping or a hot tub.
>>
>> Lou

>When we bought this property there was an above ground pool in the
>backyard, part of the purchase agreement was that there be NO pool there
>before we signed. We still had to rake up about a half-ton of pea gravel
>that has surrounded the pool. Should have put that in the contract too.

You're lucky that pool wasn't sunk 18" into the ground and sitting on
a few tons of fine sand... removing the AGP is the easiest part of the
job... likely they gave it away to a friend or sold it... you should
have said not a word and got rid of it yourself... anytime you ask a
seller to do anything it costs you something.

Where I lived previously my neighbor directly to the rear had an IGP
installed that practically occupied the entire back yard (these were
all rather small tract home lots). The first two years it was used a
lot, but then their kids got older and no longer liked being observed
in that fish bowl. For the next ten years, up until I left, not once
did they uncover that pool. And even when they did use it they had no
privacy, they had it all fenced with 6' chainlink and gated to code
and even had those aluminum blind slats woven into the fence, but
being surrounded by two story homes they didn't dare skinny dip. Many
of my neighbors had pools, from my upstairs I could look right down
into three of them. Even though the pool season in NY is pretty short
about half the homes on Lung Guyland have pools, most are rarely used,
but even if they abandon it and don't spend a dime maintaining it a
pool raises ones property tax (and liability insurance) by quite a few
bucks. And for many it is all ego, when folks visit in winter they
chat up the snow covered pool even though it's no longer used
anymore... many don't realize the cost of water, chemicals, electric,
even heating the water... they soon realize that they really can't
afford a pool but by the time they do they are still paying off the
loan to install that fercocktah pool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:

>>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose
>>> in the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.

>> a moat! and a drawbridge!

> A vineyard, an orchard!

Shrubbery!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:

>>> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose
>>> in the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
>>> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
>>> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.

>> a moat! and a drawbridge!

> A vineyard, an orchard!

Shrubbery!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I'd be impressed by a nice house on a big property with room for horses,
> overlooking a beautiful river. All paid for. Heh. A pool? If it
> didn't come
> with the house I wouldn't put one in. It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay
> a lot for it.
>
> nancy

And of course your living in NJ which has a much more limited pool
season then the deep south.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> a moat! and a drawbridge!

>> A vineyard, an orchard!

> Shrubbery!
> nancy

Hey, I HAVE shrubbery. Stop in any time you feel like pruning.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:

>>> A vineyard, an orchard!

>> Shrubbery!

> Hey, I HAVE shrubbery. Stop in any time you feel like pruning.

Ha, I'd be happy to. I'll bring my own pruners, I've finally gotten
my property tamed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
>gloria.p wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Shrubbery!

>> Hey, I HAVE shrubbery. Stop in any time you feel like pruning.

>Ha, I'd be happy to. I'll bring my own pruners, I've finally gotten
>my property tamed.

I didn't think Gloria was talking about trimming *that* kind of
"shrubbery"... don't forget the baby oil. hehehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

> >> I have a pool. It's laughable to think I walk around with my nose in
> >> the air thinking Wow, what snob appeal I must have. Lots of
> >> people have pools, it doesn't impress me. As far as property goes,
> >> there are lots of things I'd be more impressed by.
> >>
> >> nancy

> > a moat! and a drawbridge!
> >

> A vineyard, an orchard!

A redwood forest!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Note the shaved "cat" at the end of this commercial <g>:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFSgXpyhoM>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> gloria.p wrote:
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> a moat! and a drawbridge!

>> A vineyard, an orchard!

> Shrubbery!

lol Are you by any chance a Python fan?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>> > a moat! and a drawbridge!
>> >

>> A vineyard, an orchard!

> A redwood forest!

Fields, a river, a small forest...

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> gloria.p wrote:

>>> A vineyard, an orchard!

>> Shrubbery!

> lol Are you by any chance a Python fan?

(giggling) Can't sneak anything by Ophelia!!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Dan Abel" > wrote

>>> A vineyard, an orchard!

>> A redwood forest!

> Fields, a river, a small forest...

I think you people know just what would *really* impress me.
If someone owned a castle with a park attached.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Shrubbery!

>> lol Are you by any chance a Python fan?

> (giggling) Can't sneak anything by Ophelia!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> A redwood forest!

>> Fields, a river, a small forest...

> I think you people know just what would *really* impress me.
> If someone owned a castle with a park attached.

A castle? Oooh you grand thing Too fancy for me though
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> I'd be impressed by a nice house on a big property with room for horses,
> overlooking a beautiful river. All paid for.

I suppose 3 outta 4 ain't bad - we decided against buying a property with
river-frontage for various reasons (which I won't bore you with)...

> Heh. A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

Agreed. We don't have an outdoor pool on our property and don't miss
having one. IMO, they're a PITA to keep clean and the chemicals they
require cost the earth (at least here they do). Not to mention the pump
and all the other peripherals etc. We have one of those "paddling pools"
for the kidlette and she has plenty of fun splashing around in it (weather
permitting). Besides, her school has a pool and the kids get to swim in it
two or three times a week in the summertime (fully supervised, of course)
so I don't think she's "missing out" (and I don't have to worry about
maintaining/cleaning it <g>).

I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an
outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
months of the year you're actually going to make use of it. If it's less
than 6-8 months of the year, fageddaboudit, IMHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an>
> outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
> months of the year you're actually going to make use of it. If it's less>
> than 6-8 months of the year, >fageddaboudit, IMHO.

Sorry to interrupt, Cathy, but you've been missing. Please make them stop
with the Vuvuzelas! It's driving me mad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 9:11*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an>
> > outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
> > months of the year you're actually going to make use of it. If it's less>
> > than 6-8 months of the year, >fageddaboudit, IMHO.

> Sorry to interrupt, Cathy, but you've been missing. *Please make them stop
> with the Vuvuzelas! *It's driving me mad.

S.A. may not get to host the World Cup again for the next 100 years.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:45:16 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:55:10 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I'd be impressed by a nice house on a big property with room for horses,
>> overlooking a beautiful river. All paid for.

>I suppose 3 outta 4 ain't bad - we decided against buying a property with
>river-frontage for various reasons (which I won't bore you with)...
>
>> Heh. A pool? If it didn't come with the house I wouldn't put one in.
>> It's nice to have but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

>Agreed. We don't have an outdoor pool on our property and don't miss
>having one. IMO, they're a PITA to keep clean and the chemicals they
>require cost the earth (at least here they do). Not to mention the pump
>and all the other peripherals etc. We have one of those "paddling pools"
>for the kidlette and she has plenty of fun splashing around in it (weather
>permitting). Besides, her school has a pool and the kids get to swim in it
>two or three times a week in the summertime (fully supervised, of course)
>so I don't think she's "missing out" (and I don't have to worry about
>maintaining/cleaning it <g>).
>
>I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an
>outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
>months of the year you're actually going to make use of it. If it's less
>than 6-8 months of the year, fageddaboudit, IMHO.

Agreed on all counts. I have a small creek (not swimable but ice
cold wadable) and I have a good sized pond but snapping turtles are
not my idea of relaxation, just as bad as Jaws. Years ago I had one
of those inflatable pools for rugrats but mostly on hot summer days I
put out the whirly lawn sprinkler, the kiddies liked that much better,
a lot safer and cleaner too... and really cost nothing considering
that on hot summer days the lawn needed watering anyway. I've toyed
with the idea of an outdoor hot tub/spa thingie but then I'm not into
soaking, the last time I had a tub bath was probably 60 years ago, I'm
strictly a shower person. Growing up a short walk from the ocean as
teens we'd spend a lot of time at the beach but once I learned about
pollution that ended.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2010 8:45 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

> I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an
> outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
> months of the year you're actually going to make use of it. If it's less
> than 6-8 months of the year, fageddaboudit, IMHO.

We are looking into possibly moving way far south where the weather
might make a pool usable 9 to 10 months a year. I have never considered
owning a pool before and won't go looking for a house with one on
purpose, but if a house we look at has one, I won't automatically rule
it out like I have in the past.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2010 8:45 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

snip...
> Agreed. We don't have an outdoor pool on our property and don't miss
> having one. IMO, they're a PITA to keep clean and the chemicals they
> require cost the earth (at least here they do). Not to mention the pump
> and all the other peripherals etc.

snip...
> I think what one also has to factor into the decision about building an
> outdoor pool or buying a property with one already in situ is how many
> months of the year you're actually going to make use of it.

The swimming pool at our house had problems so it was filled with dirt.
The grass is nice and green, you would never know there was a pool
there. Some of the golfers will mention it sometimes.

Becca