Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:36:37 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > city has a height of grass allowed and HOA says
> > must be within or have grass services (in which case it's their fault if
> > your grass gets too high). The only catch-22 there is you have to pay
> > all year as they pro-rate the bill so you can't just 'pay in
> > spring/summer'. Come fall/winter, the same fellow 'for free' trims
> > trees, prunes what's needed, and helps get the leaves up and such.
> > Seemed a good deal to him and to me! 20$ a week?

> OMG, if we could get our grass mowed, trees pruned, leaves raked, and
> our driveway plowed in winter for $20 a week, we'd think we'd died and
> gone to heaven. Mowing is between $50-75/week depending on the crew and
> how much trimming they do, even when it's neighborhood teens. Plowing is
> around $30 each storm. We do both on our own but won't be able to keep
> it up forever.

I agree that's an excellent price... even if they're paying for lawn
maintenance when the grass is under a couple feet of snow.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 2:31 PM, cshenk wrote:
> "Omelet" wrote
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

>>> And I have never seen an HOA board that didn't include the *most* anal
>>> retentive morons in the development. I'd use the term "Nazi," but the
>>> first one to toss that perjorative out...

>> Point and score!!!
>> THIS kind of thing is why I hate HOA's!

> But the real point is that they vary. Sure, thousands of horror stories
> like Terry had, but many have a happy relationship with simple basics in
> the HOA. It's when they get overtly restrictive that they are bad. (I
> can't imagine one telling me what color I can paint my house!)
>
> There are plenty of HOA's out in the county areas that just help get
> basic gardening to communal areas (not covered by any other, owned by no
> home owner). Some just require if you have excess cars, you park them
> mostly on your own grass so you don't impede others driving on the road
> or a firetruck getting past them. (One we lived in required #of cars not
> exceed # of drivers except by 1 and no more than 3 feet of the car could
> be in the street which I thought reasonable).
>
> I had a great laugh over another friend's predicament with an HOA. They
> required wood fences (no specified height). He put up a steel chain link
> that was 8ft tall, with another 2ft underground then properly covered it
> with a very nice 8ft wood fence on the outside. HOA erupted. Holds a
> meeting. He attends. Quietly, at his side are his 2 HUGE Great Danes. He
> parked them with a firm 'stay' right up at the front and they just sorta
> sprawl as small as they can, quiet and well behaved but BIG. Along comes
> time to mention the fence issue, he just asked if anyone had a problem
> that he had one a little higher as lower might not be that smart and his
> dogs were known to eat wood fences? LOL! He told me silence reigned and
> they moved on to another subject.
>
> So, HOA's can be reasonable. It's all about what that one is looking for.

We lived in two separate subdivisions in the Houston area, one from 1976
to 1979. HOA took care of the streets, street lights, mowing the lots
that hadn't been built on, mowing street verges and public areas. They
maintained the dock on Lake Houston, the tennis courts, the golf course
(9-hole) and both swimming pools. Cost us about $20 a month and well
worth it. Your home color and fence were your business but you did have
to maintain the property. The other HOA, we lived in a rental for about
two years. 36-hole championship gold course, multiple tennis courts, two
Olympic size pools, bike and hike trails, $33.00 a month, which our
landlord paid. We don't golf, bike, hike, play tennis nor hang out at
the country club, to which we had a membership. Used to eat there
occasionally but not that often. The only worthwhile thing we got out of
the HOA was the street maintenance and all the other ancillary
maintenance of the subdivision and the fact that I could fish the San
Jacinto river with a boat launch and dock and also Lake Houston with a
boat launch and dock. I spent almost the entire two years fishing. Got
fussed at for fishing in the water hazards on the gold course so had to
quit that. Asked if I could bow hunt around the golf course as there
were a lot of white tail deer there. Nope, they had posted the whole
subdivision as a wildlife preserve. Friends who still live there said
the deer population exploded in the last two years or so and they have
been hiring licensed hunters to come in and clear them out. Other than
that both places were pretty nice places to live except for the drunk
lawyer next door who like to blow "Charge" on a bugle when he got tanked
up. I persuaded him to stop that when I squashed his bugle with an
eight-pound maul. His wife hugged me for it. Oh yeah, he always blew it
about 0200.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 2:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> "sf" wrote
>
>> or not live within an HOA is one thing but actually believing a well
>> run HOA lowers property value is not even close to rational thinking.

> In Virginia, Norfolk area, it has done exactly that. It's sad but a few
> of them went rampant with too many restrictions and gave the whole idea
> a bad name. As a result an equal house in an equal but non HOA area
> fetches a better price. My realtor friend says it's close to 50% of her
> customers who say 'Oh, and no HOA's'. She doesn't even show them then.
>
> HOA's aren't evil, but sadly there have been too many widely public bad
> news stories of them. People are leery of them at least here. That's
> what you are hearing from others in the newsgroup as well. Give it time
> and folks may swing back, but if you needed to put hour house on the
> market just now, you'd find out being in an HOA was a detraction unless
> the buyer was willing to spend time to even look at HOA sites and see
> what your local one required.
>
> Oh on your color choices? Consider a lovely old wood victorian in
> wisteria with eggshell pale trim. Probably not allowed in some HOA's.

If I remember correctly subdivision compacts expire after either ten or
twenty years in Louisiana. One person on our street built a steel shop
next to his house and an RV shelter on the other side. One neighbor
wrote a letter to the editor and went to city hall got told it was none
of her business what someone built on their property as long as they got
a city permit. Our house is 36-years old and there are many homes here
over forty-years. Little late to bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 9:21 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>

>> Oh on your color choices? Consider a lovely old wood victorian in
>> wisteria with eggshell pale trim. Probably not allowed in some HOA's.
>>

> Sounds lovely and there are many of them in older areas of urban Denver,
> Boulder, and the old mining town of Breckenridge, lots of Painted Ladies
> in their well-planned color combinations.
>
> Where would you find a lovely old Victorian in a HOA community?
> All HOA locations that I an familiar with are developer built in the
> past <50 years.
>
> gloria p

Lots of faux Victorians were built in the eighties Gloria, some just as
spacious and beautiful as the real ones only made of modern materials.
Particularly in the south.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 10:33 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I think they would be covered by a Historical Society rather than an
>>> HOA. They don't collect funds from the homes in the protected
>>> district but they sure have to follow the rules when it comes to
>>> paint color/remodeling or anything that would change the tenor of
>>> the neighborhood.

>> And just like having a HOA, potential owners would be aware of the
>> restrictions before they bought, and pretty obnoxious if they didn't
>> follow the rules.

> I just saw some show where a flipper bought in a historic district
> with the idea of putting on an addition. Bad move.
>
> As much as I appreciate having historic districts, I wouldn't buy there
> because I think you'd better have plenty of $$$ to keep the places
> up to snuff.
>
>> Actually many of those Victorian houses are better looking and better
>> maintained than they were years ago before the historical societies
>> began regulating them. People who buy them are very interested in
>> restoring them to historic color combinations and gingerbread trim and
>> the results are gorgeous.

> Stunning. The colors would look ridiculous on most houses. And white
> with black shutters just doesn't do them justice. I watched this house in
> Gorham, NH be painted little by little over the years. I think they finally
> finished. I don't know if the picture does all the colors justice.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/4ueyib/6
>
> nancy

Looks like it was added onto at one time, the addition on the left,
probably turned into a duplex sometime in the early twentieth century.
Typical Victorian colorfulness though, I watched one being completely
restored on "This Old House" on PBS years ago, included doing research
on each layer of paint to determine the original colors. I think there
were as many as ten layers on the outside and someone had painted over
the lovely walnut paneling inside. I think Norm found the pocket doors
pushed back into their pockets. Probably cost someone a large fortune to
restore the house and the carriage house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 12 Jun 2010 01:19:14p, gloria.p told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 11 Jun 2010 10:24:31p, Omelet told us...

>> I doubt the tulip restriction was ever in the covenants.
>> The HOA doesn;t acre if you own a boat, they only care if you
>> store it in your front yard.
>>

>>> Prospective buyers should read the CC&R very carefully before
>>> agreeing to its terms in insure that it doesn't contain anything
>>> they object to.
>>>

>> To be fair, Wayne, it's not usually the CC&R the owners object to,
>> but the arbitrary "rules" the HOA invokes at monthly meetings at
>> the nagging of just a few owners.
>>
>> E.G. Our neighborhood has a pedestrian gate at one end that faces
>> the high school, very convenient for our kids. When we moved here
>> it was unlocked from 6AM-10PM. About 10 years ago the Board
>> voted, because of a few complaints of "trespassing" to lock the
>> gate 24/7 and provide keys to the owners--for a $50 deposit (and
>> $50 replacement every time a kid misplaces one.) The end result
>> is that kids prop the gate open for friends or break the lock. No
>> Board has ever dared to try to rescind that vote because a few
>> owners would be up in arms over the "lax security" complaints
>> that would be raised.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> I understand your situation and it wasn't fair. It may not even have
> been legal. When I lived in a development governed by an HOA. one
> could only raise issues or complaints about things specifically
> adressed in the CC&R. If a situation beyond that was raised, a
> majority vote of *all* homeonwers would be required, and the specific
> issue had to be legally amended to the CC&R.
>
> I was on that board for four years and encountered a personal dispute
> during that time. We purchased and had installed a very high quality
> solid copper weathevane. Prior to doing so we scoured the CC&R for
> any reference to the installation of such an item. There was none.
> Our neighbor two houses away practically had a stroke at our having
> done this and insisted that it be removed. She was also on the
> board. I pointed out that nothing like this was addresssed in the
> CC&R and she called to have a homeowners' vote to include it. Later
> the same evening I discovered that the CC&R did provide for the
> installation of TV antennas and/or shortwave radio antenna towers not
> to exceed 20 feet above the roof line. I called for a special
> meeting of the board a couple of days later and said that I would be
> happy to remove the weathevane at the same time that I installed a 20
> ft. TV tower in its place. The matter was dropped.

That's called "working the system" here in Louisiana Wayne. You Go!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 3:32 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>

>> Yahbut...we needed to repaint the house, which was plenny 'spensive,
>> Loosey. We used the HOA chart of permissible colors and proceeded to
>> repaint the house. Between the choosing of the paint, the painting of
>> the house and the finish, the HOA took that particular color off the
>> palate. We had to re-repaint the house or risk getting sued by the
>> HOA.

> That is insane! How could they change color choices when you were in
> midstream and hold you liable for repainting?
>
> Our HOA doesn't have an "acceptable" color range. They ask for color
> chips to be submitted with the application for exterior work to be done
> and vote at the next Architectural Control meeting to approve or ask for
> a change. Most houses are southwestern earth tones with an occasionally
> bold foray into blue or green trim. ;-)
>
> With all respect to Bill, I would have tried to negotiate an exception
> with the HOA. I HATE arbitrary rulings.
>
> gloria p

We couldn't live there, our house is a nineteen forties lipstick red on
the trim, over sand colored brick and with a reddish brown roof. Looks
good to us though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2010 10:49 AM, cshenk wrote:

>>> Yes. This is why HOA owned properties are having a hard time selling and
>>> many seeking to purchase now specify 'show me only those with no
>>> HOA'. My
>>> friend who is a relator, says it's about 1/2 in the area actually
>>> bother to
>>> say that. The rest, tend to default by 1/2 when the see the HOA rules.
>>>
>>> Logic shows HOA homes here do not get viewed as often and they are
>>> screaming
>>> because their 4BR 3Bath luxury homes are selling for less than mine
>>> would.
>>> HOA's arent bad, but too many have gone rampant and made horrible press.
>>> With all the forclosures, buyers are scared to do something stupid
>>> and lose
>>> their homes.

>>> None of those things should be HOA issues.

>> But they are... Did you read the link I posted?

> Yes, and replied to your message and it.
>
>> Bringing it back on topic, there are even some HOA's that forbid BBQ'ing!

>> HOA's have gotten wayyyy out of control in too many places, and seek to
>> utterly control everyone and treat you like tenants, not property owners.

> Not all are that bad though. It is however true that their reputation is
> so low now, even the sane ones are being avoided by buyers.
>
> Grin, my boss just upscaled houses. He specifically said 'no more HOA's'
> to the realtor. He got a lovely house in a very nice upscale
> neighborhood with no HOA. He had a very hard time selling his house. 2
> backed out last second over HOA issues. There's something like 100 homes
> in his old HOA area, with (per him) 20 in forclosure and another 5
> vacant. 3 sold (his was one of the 3).
>
> He BTW, had a sane HOA although he wasn't happy that he had to use
> Verizon FIOS and is much happier with Cox now (at significant savings
> for the package that suits them vice the HOA required Verizon one). The
> rest of it he said was fine.
>
> Another friend mentioned his HOA had several optional services you could
> elect to sign up for and based on how many were in it, the price would
> change a bit. He added the option to have them cut his grass and use a
> master keyed lock on the backyard fence so they could get in when he
> wasnt home. Hehehehe, city has a height of grass allowed and HOA says
> must be within or have grass services (in which case it's their fault if
> your grass gets too high). The only catch-22 there is you have to pay
> all year as they pro-rate the bill so you can't just 'pay in
> spring/summer'. Come fall/winter, the same fellow 'for free' trims
> trees, prunes what's needed, and helps get the leaves up and such.
> Seemed a good deal to him and to me! 20$ a week?

Does he travel? Local guy here gets $75 every two weeks to mow the lawn
next door. Our lots are 75' wide by 150' long and the houses are all
about 2000 square feet. Sounds like a rip off to me but the lady next
door is crippled and has a "Bless Your Heart" 47-year old son sponging
off of her and doesn't do anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 8:58 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:47:56 -0400, brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Good gawd OM is an idiot. To add to your list they keep a fund for
>>> emergencies. A condo building would be really screwed if a major roof
>>> leak developed and they had to knock on doors with a hat looking for
>>> donations.

>> That's not true.
>> Condos are typically seperate units, sometimes
>> attached as town/row houses but separate nevertheless... no biggie to
>> repair one small roof. You obviously don't know the difference
>> between condo and co-op.

> A co-op is uncommon outside of your little world of New York. I don't
> know much about them as I've never had a reason to learn. IIRC you
> don't actually even own your own unit.
>

>> Om is not an idiot, you are, and you are a LIAR...

> OM is an idiot along with you. And yes I'm a liar. Now run along an
> play hide and go **** yourself.
>
> Lou

Around this part of the world you own your condo and the association
owns the general community areas and everyone contributes to keep those
up. I've owned and sold two vacation condos and I had deeds to both of
them. The condos had stricter requirements on use than any HOA I ever
lived in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 10:33 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Stunning. The colors would look ridiculous on most houses. And white
>> with black shutters just doesn't do them justice. I watched this
>> house in Gorham, NH be painted little by little over the years. I
>> think they finally finished. I don't know if the picture does all
>> the colors justice.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/r/4ueyib/6

> Looks like it was added onto at one time, the addition on the left,
> probably turned into a duplex sometime in the early twentieth century.

No question that's not original. At least I'd be astonished if the
house was designed that way originally. I wonder what the history
is there.

> Typical Victorian colorfulness though, I watched one being completely
> restored on "This Old House" on PBS years ago, included doing research
> on each layer of paint to determine the original colors. I think there
> were as many as ten layers on the outside and someone had painted over
> the lovely walnut paneling inside. I think Norm found the pocket doors
> pushed back into their pockets. Probably cost someone a large fortune
> to restore the house and the carriage house.

I appreciate people who have the vision and the energy to tackle
stuff like that, because it's a shame to see it lost.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:36:46 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Google - define Mench

>>Yes, sf I do know how to google. I didn't say I couldn't search for it, I
>>said I didn't know what it meant.

> Googling won't help much anyway, mensch has many meanings, depending
> on context it means many things... and there is no accurate English
> translation. Essentially a mensch is someone who is in charge of
> themself, who knows how to be in charge of themself through awareness,
> and who deserves to be entrusted with the charge of others... being a
> mensch embodies the highest level of maturity.

kinda leaves you out of consideration, ace.

blaek
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:54:35 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:33:25 -0400, brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>it's obviously not yours to rent. Probably belongs to
>>an acquaintance/relative and you were visiting, that's what those sort
>>of pictures indicate.

> LOL.. Those sort of pictures?
>
>>That's probably not even you,

> Yeah right. I found pictures of overweight middle-aged people and
> claimed them to be me.

oldest trick in the book. probably you look like george clooney.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:29:34 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> One person on our street built a steel shop
> next to his house and an RV shelter on the other side.

That's why I prefer to look at established neighborhoods over new.
You can see what the neighbors are like and how much it has
degenerated <or not>.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> city has a height of grass allowed and HOA says must be within or have
>> grass services (in which case it's their fault if your grass gets too
>> high). The only catch-22 there is you have to pay all year as they
>> pro-rate the bill so you can't just 'pay in spring/summer'. Come
>> fall/winter, the same fellow 'for free' trims trees, prunes what's
>> needed, and helps get the leaves up and such. Seemed a good deal to him
>> and to me! 20$ a week?

> OMG, if we could get our grass mowed, trees pruned, leaves raked, and our
> driveway plowed in winter for $20 a week, we'd think we'd died and gone to
> heaven. Mowing is between $50-75/week depending on the crew and how much
> trimming they do, even when it's neighborhood teens. Plowing is around $30
> each storm. We do both on our own but won't be able to keep it up
> forever.

Agreed! Most folks use the service. They only had a problem when they
didn't specify had to pay for 12 months and the fellow gaged price based on
that. He doesnt shovel snow I imagine, but then we seldom have any that
sticks long enough to worry. Some cheap folks wanted to pay same rate but
only May-Sep or something like that. Yes, he'd be 50-75$ I bet at that sort
of pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2010 10:33 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Stunning. The colors would look ridiculous on most houses. And white
> with black shutters just doesn't do them justice. I watched this
> house in
> Gorham, NH be painted little by little over the years. I think they
> finally
> finished. I don't know if the picture does all the colors justice.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/4ueyib/6
>
> nancy

This reminds me of my grandparent's house, it was later turned into
offices for attorney's.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Up to me druggies would be
> institutionalized for life, they are and will always be a menace to
> society.

Some countries execute them...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >On Sat 12 Jun 2010 05:49:45p, Larry told us...

> >> Nice!

> Would be nicer if Larry posted a picture of his house with that very
> high quality copper weathervane... I've been contemplating erecting a
> cupola with a weathervane atop for a while now, but everytime I peruse
> all the styles I can't decide. And then I realize that from indoors I
> wouldn't see it so what's the point if I can't see it point wind
> direction. I even thought of placing one on my barn roof, that I can
> see, but I don't know that it would look ethetically correct on my
> type of barn. And then I already have one of those electronic remote
> weather stations.

A small one on the back deck might work?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> Not all are that bad though. It is however true that their reputation is so
> low now, even the sane ones are being avoided by buyers.

The few frequently ruin it for the many.
Makes it very, very hard to trust such a thing. Small political groups
like that can get ugly.

> Grin, my boss just upscaled houses. He specifically said 'no more HOA's' to
> the realtor. He got a lovely house in a very nice upscale neighborhood with
> no HOA. He had a very hard time selling his house. 2 backed out last
> second over HOA issues. There's something like 100 homes in his old HOA
> area, with (per him) 20 in forclosure and another 5 vacant. 3 sold (his was
> one of the 3).
>
> He BTW, had a sane HOA although he wasn't happy that he had to use Verizon
> FIOS and is much happier with Cox now (at significant savings for the
> package that suits them vice the HOA required Verizon one). The rest of it
> he said was fine.

OMG! They regulate what phone/internet service you bloody use? Give me a
break!

> Another friend mentioned his HOA had several optional services you could
> elect to sign up for and based on how many were in it, the price would
> change a bit. He added the option to have them cut his grass and use a
> master keyed lock on the backyard fence so they could get in when he wasnt
> home. Hehehehe, city has a height of grass allowed and HOA says must be
> within or have grass services (in which case it's their fault if your grass
> gets too high). The only catch-22 there is you have to pay all year as they
> pro-rate the bill so you can't just 'pay in spring/summer'. Come
> fall/winter, the same fellow 'for free' trims trees, prunes what's needed,
> and helps get the leaves up and such. Seemed a good deal to him and to me!
> 20$ a week?

That's really not bad but I can pay for local labor. <g> To some people,
that would be a lot of money.

Right now my BIL is getting paid to help me with yard service.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> This is the house, but we no longer live there. Unfortunately, you
> cannot actually discern the weathervane because of the dense trees
> behind thie chimney.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/2mhdfkx/6
>
> I probably do have a picture somewhere where the weathervane is
> prominant, but its not at my fingertips, and I don't feel the need to
> prove anything Shellie Bean.

Nice house.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 6/12/2010 10:33 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Stunning. The colors would look ridiculous on most houses. And
>> white with black shutters just doesn't do them justice. I watched
>> this house in
>> Gorham, NH be painted little by little over the years. I think they
>> finally
>> finished. I don't know if the picture does all the colors justice.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/r/4ueyib/6

> This reminds me of my grandparent's house, it was later turned into
> offices for attorney's.

Wow, they had a nice place. There's a town near me that is the
county seat, all those big victorians are now attorney's offices, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:47:04 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>What's the deal with patent attorneys?

Patent law is the most boring, mind numbingly tedious branch of law in
the entire kingdom of jurisprudence. Back in the day when lawyers were
forbidden to advertise themselves, patent lawyers were the only ones
who were the exception to that rule and they were excepted b/c they
were few and far between, and they were few and far between because no
one in his right mind would want to practice patent law.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...proud of run on sentences!

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
>brooklyn1 wrote:

>>>Yes, sf I do know how to google. I didn't say I couldn't search for it, I
>>>said I didn't know what it meant.

>> Googling won't help much anyway, mensch has many meanings, depending
>> on context it means many things... and there is no accurate English
>> translation. Essentially a mensch is someone who is in charge of
>> themself, who knows how to be in charge of themself through awareness,
>> and who deserves to be entrusted with the charge of others... being a
>> mensch embodies the highest level of maturity.

>kinda leaves you out of consideration, ace.

With each and every of your mean spirited anorexic IQ posts you place
yourself out of contention by light years, dud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant replied to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz:

>> Up to me druggies would be institutionalized for life, they are and will
>> always be a menace to society.

> Some countries execute them...

Those countries have primarily brown-skinned citizens, don't they? And
you're JUST FINE with the policy -- until a white person runs afoul of it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:38:15 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>The laws regarding HOA powers vary from state to state. The most they
>>can do in Colorado is put a lien on the property after a few months of
>>non-payment. If there is a sale the lien is either paid by the old
>>owner or attached to the new owner's deed. In a foreclosure the HOA
>>claim comes in second or third place after the mortgage holder's.
>>Usually the HOA is SOL for the back dues.
>>
>>Whoever said the other owners make up the deficit was right (whether
>>those owners realize it or not.) This has come up in every annual HOA
>>meeting we've had for the past five years or so.

>That's true with non HOA as well... who do you think picks up the
>property tax tab with any abandoned property?

Whoever buys the place for the back taxes. There's even companies
that do nothing more than that. To reclaim your property you pay the
county with big interest that the company gets. They get a good yield
and if it doesn't get reclaimed they get a house for a few grand.

>The thing is however
>that when HOAs don't carry their full community obligations they can
>lose their HOA status, those units still occupied get reassesed and
>suffer a big tax hike to make up for all those empties that are not
>paying taxes.

That's interesting but I think I'll call bullshit. There's always
someone willing to buy property for back taxes except in ****ed up
areas. Several years ago I drove through a subdivision in Florida
that had hundreds of lots and just a few houses. Even if the only tax
revenue was those few house it would still be more than was collected
when the area was a swamp. The economy was screaming at the time so
somebody screwed up but that's happened down there a lot. I don't
know what happened there but I'd guess the builder went belly up, the
few people living there walked away because the roads fell apart, and
nature is reclaiming it's space. That's how the world works. Nature
provides checks and balances to correct the mistakes man makes.
Nobody would want those houses for back taxes. But that's not how it
is in many places.

That's an extreme example of an HOA development gone bad I only share
to prove I have an open mind. There's many that are very successful
and are great places to live. The broad brush you and a few others
use is quite ignorant.

A few minutes on google come up with 7of 8 have had a positive
experience with HOA's. Another result came up with a good percentage
of people who bitch about them have never even lived with one. Google
it yourself as I don't care.

>The greater community will be damned if they
>are going to bail out the pretentious HOAers who until the shit hit
>the fan went about noses in the air proclaiming their "Through The
>Gate" superiority over the peons who live in ordinary houses like
>Om's.

I could give a rats ass about OM's house. I also could give a rats
ass about HOA's. But ignorant fools like you who paint with a broad
brush annoy me. 32 million homes in the US are involved in a HOA.
Just because you and a tex-ass hillbilly think they're evil doesn't
mean they should be banned. And where you come up with this
pretentious shit is amazing. Nobody thinks they're better they just
chose to life somewhere you wouldn't like.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 05:45:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 11 Jun 2010 10:24:31p, Omelet told us...
>
>> In article >,
>> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have a problem with OM's house as it's what she can
>>> afford and I can't even afford my own. But bitching about the
>>> evils of HOA's is ignorant.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> If you did own your own property, you might understand...
>>
>> It's MY property and I paid for it!
>> No blanking HOA has any right to tell me how many tulips I can
>> plant, or whether or not I can own a boat!

>That's where your wrong, OM. If you buy a property where an HOA is
>in place, you would be issued a document, Covenants, Conditions &
>Restrictions (CC&R's). You must sigh agreeing to abide by the CC&R.
>Otherwise, you would not be permitted to buy the property. The HOA
>has every right to force you to adhere to the contents of the CC&R.
>If you don't, you are legally libel for any penalties, fines, or even
>the forced sale of your home, depending on the severity and/or
>duration of the infraction. Quite simply, it's the law and it is
>enforceable.
>
>Prospective buyers should read the CC&R very carefully before
>agreeing to its terms in insure that it doesn't contain anything they
>object to.

I don't think logic will penetrate her skull Wayne.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 07:51:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

>> Would be nicer if Larry posted a picture of his house with that very
>> high quality copper weathervane.

>Wayne's the one who posted about having the weathervane. You ****ed up the
>attributions. It's a typical mistake for a newbie; just be more careful in
>the future or you'll look like a complete idiot.

shemp looks like a complete idiot all the time. He's still trying to
get newsgroups to work with AOL

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:02:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>> Would be nicer if Larry posted a picture of his house with that
>>> very high quality copper weathervane.

>> Wayne's the one who posted about having the weathervane. You
>> ****ed up the attributions. It's a typical mistake for a newbie;
>> just be more careful in the future or you'll look like a complete
>> idiot.
>>
>> Bob

>This is the house, but we no longer live there. Unfortunately, you
>cannot actually discern the weathervane because of the dense trees
>behind thie chimney.
>
>http://tinypic.com/r/2mhdfkx/6
>
>I probably do have a picture somewhere where the weathervane is
>prominant, but its not at my fingertips, and I don't feel the need to
>prove anything Shellie Bean.

Nice house. What state was that in?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:25:08 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:36:46 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

>>>Yes, sf I do know how to google. I didn't say I couldn't search for it, I
>>>said I didn't know what it meant.

>> Googling won't help much anyway, mensch has many meanings, depending
>> on context it means many things... and there is no accurate English
>> translation. Essentially a mensch is someone who is in charge of
>> themself, who knows how to be in charge of themself through awareness,
>> and who deserves to be entrusted with the charge of others... being a
>> mensch embodies the highest level of maturity.

>kinda leaves you out of consideration, ace.
>
>blaek

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:23:06 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:24:20 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, chain link reninds me of prison compounds. Even a rotted split
>> rail/picket fence is better than chain link. And I agree, those new
>> plastic/aluminum fences are butt ugli. I don't know why people make
>> diparaging remarks about wasting trees, trees are a very renewable
>> resource... the paper in your printer is from tree farms-that are
>> renewable every fifteen years. I just don't like how they're
>> destroying the rain forests... didju know that rain forest trees are
>> used to make TP.

>bullshit, as usual:
>
>The Times Left it Out: Making Toilet Tissue from Trees Means There Are More
>Trees, not fewer.

Good catch Blake.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:24:20 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:39:29 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>wrote:

>>I grew up in an area with lots of stone walls and still think a well-mde
>>one is beautiful.
>>
>>gloria p

>Even a sloppily made old moss/lichen covered stone wall is beautiful.
>My property is bounded by pre-revolutionary stone walls, not the
>neatest but not going to fall down in this lifetime.
>
>Yeah, chain link reninds me of prison compounds. Even a rotted split
>rail/picket fence is better than chain link. And I agree, those new
>plastic/aluminum fences are butt ugli. I don't know why people make
>diparaging remarks about wasting trees, trees are a very renewable
>resource... the paper in your printer is from tree farms-that are
>renewable every fifteen years. I just don't like how they're
>destroying the rain forests... didju know that rain forest trees are
>used to make TP.

You know nothing of TP. You shit in the litter box with the cats.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:16:44 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:44:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:
>
>>I don't get the reaction against HOAs. The function of an HOA is to
>>keep the values up and the neighborhood nice. If I have good taste
>>then what I do is not a problem with the HOA. If I have bad taste then
>>chose to live in an HOA area to be able to tap someone else's good
>>taste. HOA meetings can get petty but they are easily ignored as long
>>as what you're doing is good stuff. If you want to leave junk in your
>>yard or paint ugly colors I don't want you in my neighborhood anyways.
>>Move to some place with no rules and so likely some place that looks bad.

>Yahbut...we needed to repaint the house, which was plenny 'spensive,
>Loosey. We used the HOA chart of permissible colors and proceeded to
>repaint the house. Between the choosing of the paint, the painting of
>the house and the finish, the HOA took that particular color off the
>palate. We had to re-repaint the house or risk getting sued by the
>HOA. And the DH is a very good lawyer who figured it was less
>expensive to re-repaint the house than go to war with the HOA.

I thought the expensive part of going to court was paying the lawyer.
What am I missing here?

>And I have never seen an HOA board that didn't include the *most* anal
>retentive morons in the development. I'd use the term "Nazi," but the
>first one to toss that perjorative out...

And that doesn't happen in government? Our mayor carved up an airport
runway in the middle of the night because he wanted to make a park.
Talk about nazi crap.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:31:28 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Omelet" wrote
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

>>> And I have never seen an HOA board that didn't include the *most* anal
>>> retentive morons in the development. I'd use the term "Nazi," but the
>>> first one to toss that perjorative out...

>> Point and score!!!
>> THIS kind of thing is why I hate HOA's!

>But the real point is that they vary. Sure, thousands of horror stories
>like Terry had, but many have a happy relationship with simple basics in the
>HOA. It's when they get overtly restrictive that they are bad. (I can't
>imagine one telling me what color I can paint my house!)
>
>There are plenty of HOA's out in the county areas that just help get basic
>gardening to communal areas (not covered by any other, owned by no home
>owner). Some just require if you have excess cars, you park them mostly on
>your own grass so you don't impede others driving on the road or a firetruck
>getting past them. (One we lived in required #of cars not exceed # of
>drivers except by 1 and no more than 3 feet of the car could be in the
>street which I thought reasonable).
>
>I had a great laugh over another friend's predicament with an HOA. They
>required wood fences (no specified height). He put up a steel chain link
>that was 8ft tall, with another 2ft underground then properly covered it
>with a very nice 8ft wood fence on the outside. HOA erupted. Holds a
>meeting. He attends. Quietly, at his side are his 2 HUGE Great Danes. He
>parked them with a firm 'stay' right up at the front and they just sorta
>sprawl as small as they can, quiet and well behaved but BIG. Along comes
>time to mention the fence issue, he just asked if anyone had a problem that
>he had one a little higher as lower might not be that smart and his dogs
>were known to eat wood fences? LOL! He told me silence reigned and they
>moved on to another subject.
>
>So, HOA's can be reasonable. It's all about what that one is looking for.

Finally a sensible post. Many work just fine. It's just like a city
or town.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:46:00 -0700 (PDT), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>On Jun 7, 10:08*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article >,

>> And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S! *
>>
>> Petty little groups of tyrants...

>Then don't buy a house in one, or live in one. Or a condo, since
>those come with associations as well. Plenty of single family houses
>(especially now :-() that are affordable and only subject to local
>government regs. Leave the HOA's to the folks who like the certainty
>that they afford.

Yup. It's pretty simple to avoid them if it's not what you want.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:50:44 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:11:42 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:41:15 -0400, brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>>>Speak Engrish... I just know you are attempting to say something "HOA
>>>Stupid".

>> Sorry shemp. I'll try to dumb down my posts from now on so you can
>> understand them.
>>
>> Lou

>that was a pretty good try. only two words of more than one syllable.

He can google the big words but he can't google sanity.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:28:49 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:33:25 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>That's probably not even you, for all these
>> years you've been ascared to put your pic up on rfc mugs and now you
>> want folks to believe that's you, and your wife... doesn't make sense,
>> and when something doesn't make sense it's not true.

>and when you're stupid, nothing makes sense. maybe that's why you call
>everyone LIARS!

<snork> He calls the cats liars when they blame each other for
****ing on the bed.

Actually now that I think about it, he's probably the bed-wetter.
From now on let's call his ****-pants.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:16:44 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd

>>Yahbut...we needed to repaint the house, which was plenny 'spensive,
>>Loosey. We used the HOA chart of permissible colors and proceeded to
>>repaint the house. Between the choosing of the paint, the painting of
>>the house and the finish, the HOA took that particular color off the
>>palate. We had to re-repaint the house or risk getting sued by the
>>HOA. And the DH is a very good lawyer who figured it was less
>>expensive to re-repaint the house than go to war with the HOA.

>I thought the expensive part of going to court was paying the lawyer.
>What am I missing here?

The non-prevailing party must pay the prevailing party's lawyers.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >Prospective buyers should read the CC&R very carefully before
> >agreeing to its terms in insure that it doesn't contain anything they
> >object to.

> I don't think logic will penetrate her skull Wayne.
>
> Lou

You make your choices, I make mine.
I choose to NOT live in an HOA.

If you choose to be constantly dictated to over petty matters, enjoy!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I thought the expensive part of going to court was paying the lawyer.
> What am I missing here?

There is a little thing called "court costs" for one.