Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On 6/20/2010 2:13 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:37:18 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> Indeed...
>>
>> The vast majority of rapes are "date rapes":
>>

> A gun is supposed to help in that situation?

Well, yeah.

NO, Biff. I mean it. NO.

<Biff continues>

Don't make me get my friends involved, Biff.

<Biff continues>

Biff, Ms Smith and Ms Wesson want you to stop RIGHT NOW and take me home.

<Biff continues>

BANG.

When I was a student at Georgia Tech there was a series of rapes on
campus. One night a gunshot rang out. In the morning security found a
man in a ditch with his pants down and a large hole in him. There were
no more rapes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2010 4:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:23:36 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

>>> A gun is supposed to help in that situation?

>> Depends on your level of preparedness...<g>
>>
>> Especially if one does not know the guy.
>>

> Oh, come on. That's scare mongering at its best.

People who don't carry get the notion that you only arm yourself for
special occasions. Once they've got the permit many people carry
routinely on general principle--they've jumped through the hoops so by
God they're going to exercise the privilege.

So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:38:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

> People who don't carry get the notion that you only arm yourself for
> special occasions. Once they've got the permit many people carry
> routinely on general principle--they've jumped through the hoops so by
> God they're going to exercise the privilege.
>
> So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
> mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
> there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

But what drove her to get the permit in the first place? It's a
permanently scared outlook on life.

I was raised in a family that owned many guns that were used as tools
and for sport, but we were under no illusion that they were for
personal protection. Your own gun is more likely to kill you than
save your life. My mind is as closed on the subject as hers is.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> On 6/20/2010 2:13 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:37:18 -0500, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Indeed...
> >>
> >> The vast majority of rapes are "date rapes":
> >>

> > A gun is supposed to help in that situation?

> Well, yeah.
>
> NO, Biff. I mean it. NO.
>
> <Biff continues>
>
> Don't make me get my friends involved, Biff.
>
> <Biff continues>
>
> Biff, Ms Smith and Ms Wesson want you to stop RIGHT NOW and take me home.
>
> <Biff continues>
>
> BANG.
>
> When I was a student at Georgia Tech there was a series of rapes on
> campus. One night a gunshot rang out. In the morning security found a
> man in a ditch with his pants down and a large hole in him. There were
> no more rapes.

;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> On 6/20/2010 4:34 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:23:36 -0500, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In >,

> >> Depends on your level of preparedness...<g>
> >>
> >> Especially if one does not know the guy.
> >>

> > Oh, come on. That's scare mongering at its best.

> People who don't carry get the notion that you only arm yourself for
> special occasions. Once they've got the permit many people carry
> routinely on general principle--they've jumped through the hoops so by
> God they're going to exercise the privilege.
>
> So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
> mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
> there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

Better than I could have put it... Well done.
I've even carried the little Kel-tec P3-AT in my pocket on early morning
shopping trips, even in Wal-mart. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
> > mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
> > there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

> But what drove her to get the permit in the first place? It's a
> permanently scared outlook on life.

No, it is not.

It's exactly the same instinct that drives me to keep a fire
extinguisher in the kitchen, and a backup one behind my front door, and
a large box of baking soda in a cabinet near the stove even tho' I don't
do much frying.

Frankly, I am more afraid of fire than I am of rapists but it's wise to
take precautions against both. It's called safety supplies.

I also carry a spare tire in the truck, 2 gallons of distilled water, a
small supply of extra oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and
coolant along with a good tire jack and two more small fire
extinguishers. ;-)

And a small pistol under the drivers seat with a spare magazine.

During the winter, I carry a spare jacket and a good warm blanket in
there too, but I have a lockable camper shell to store the stuff.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I've even carried the little Kel-tec P3-AT in my pocket on early morning
> shopping trips, even in Wal-mart. <g>

Didn't you mean:

especially in Walmart?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>

> > I've even carried the little Kel-tec P3-AT in my pocket on early morning
> > shopping trips, even in Wal-mart. <g>

> Didn't you mean:
>
> especially in Walmart?
>
> :-)

I was trying to play nice... ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:10:01 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > > So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
> > > mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
> > > there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

> > But what drove her to get the permit in the first place? It's a
> > permanently scared outlook on life.

> No, it is not.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Om, you've been on usenet way too long to f*ck up like that.
Please pay attention and give proper attributions! It should read

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:38:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:01:00 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>
> > BANG.
> >
> > When I was a student at Georgia Tech there was a series of rapes on
> > campus. One night a gunshot rang out. In the morning security found a
> > man in a ditch with his pants down and a large hole in him. There were
> > no more rapes.

> ;-)

No reason to be smug. It was just a story. If a girl was really
being raped, her gun would have been used against her and she would
have ended up dead.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:01:00 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>>
>> > BANG.
>> >
>> > When I was a student at Georgia Tech there was a series of rapes on
>> > campus. One night a gunshot rang out. In the morning security found a
>> > man in a ditch with his pants down and a large hole in him. There were
>> > no more rapes.

>> ;-)

> No reason to be smug. It was just a story. If a girl was really
> being raped, her gun would have been used against her and she would
> have ended up dead.

Mmm hmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:10:01 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >

> > > But what drove her to get the permit in the first place? It's a
> > > permanently scared outlook on life.

> Om, you've been on usenet way too long to f*ck up like that.
> Please pay attention and give proper attributions! It should read
>
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:38:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:

But the above is what I was disagreeing with...

Here it is from googlgroups:

sf wrote:

> wrote:
>
> People who don't carry get the notion that you only arm yourself for
> special occasions. Once they've got the permit many people carry
> routinely on general principle--they've jumped through the hoops so by
> God they're going to exercise the privilege.

> So our young lady doesn't arm herself on a date because of "scare
> mongering", she arms herself because she always arms herself unless
> there is a circumstance that requires that she doesn't.

But what drove her to get the permit in the first place? It's a
permanently scared outlook on life.

I was raised in a family that owned many guns that were used as tools
and for sport, but we were under no illusion that they were for
personal protection. Your own gun is more likely to kill you than
save your life. My mind is as closed on the subject as hers is.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

--

My point is that carrying a firearm for personal and owning a concealed
hangun permit does not make you a person with a "scared outlook on life".

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...ead/thread/76b
4cb030dbe787e/efeee30ab634898e?lnk=gst&q=nostalgic#efeee30ab6348 98e>

I think you misunderstood my attribution. ;-)

My mind is also closed on this subject... I'm more flexible about
opinions on Smart Cars however. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:01:00 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> >
> > > BANG.
> > >
> > > When I was a student at Georgia Tech there was a series of rapes on
> > > campus. One night a gunshot rang out. In the morning security found a
> > > man in a ditch with his pants down and a large hole in him. There were
> > > no more rapes.

> > ;-)

> No reason to be smug. It was just a story. If a girl was really
> being raped, her gun would have been used against her and she would
> have ended up dead.

I suppose these would be more practical:

<http://allafrica.com/stories/201006221474.html>

But imo an even better way to get killed... even tho' justice would be
served. She'd be unlikely to live to see it.

Or I guess we could just submit?

Sometimes just the opposite happens:

<http://www.topix.com/forum/city/fort-pierce-fl/TRP3IUH50DV3RIRKM>

<http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/1...st-who-came-ba
ck-to-rape-her-for-a-second-time/>

<http://digg.com/world_news/Woman_Kills_Repeat_Rapist_With_Shotgun_Blast>

There are plenty more cites. :-)

Situational awareness and preparedness are the keys.