Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:05:36 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> It's killing me financially. Dumping it isn't going to help me much
>>> (if at all) but it will be one less thing to worry about. It's not a
>>> cabin but a 3 bedroom- 2.5 bath house. 2 car garage, 600sq.ft. deck
>>> etc. It's in a gated vacation/retirement community of 1400 homes less
>>> that 2 hours from Chicago. 128 are on the market plus the ones in
>>> foreclosure. Nothing's selling there. One house was on the market
>>> for $399k and after 3 years it went for $239. I bought mine as an
>>> investment and planned on using it until kids grew up and figured my
>>> money was safe there.
>>>
>>> Was I ever wrong.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>well, i'm sorry to hear it. it sounded like a sweet place.

> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>
> Look how happy Louise is he
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg
>
> I'm the tall fat guy here. You'll see crab legs on the left. We cook
> there A LOT!
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/k150kz.jpg
>
> I weigh 3-4 times what the kids weigh so I made sure the swing was
> safe.
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/jgml4i.jpg
>
> This is the arbor that's in the background or the first picture after
> it had some vines. It took Louise two years to collect the vines to
> make it. It's strapped to poles with the cable ties cops use for the
> nice folks they arrest.
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>
> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
> it's not going to be as easy these days.

nice pics, lou.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:55:09 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>> Life is a mess, sometimes. Best of luck making that decision, I
>> know it is a hard one.

> Yup. Even those who seem to have it all together have problems.

It's easy to think some people just have it all figured out, but I doubt
there is anyone who doens't have some issue or another.

I'm sorry to hear about the cottage, I hope some kind of magic
happens and the troubles blow away.

>> You do have Louise, which means a lot.

> Yes. Even that takes work though. But you know that.

When you talk about her you always seem to be smiling. Anyway,
you are one of those people that seem to come out okay, so I
have faith you'll be better than okay once the dust settles.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:05:36 -0400, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>well, i'm sorry to hear it. it sounded like a sweet place.

>> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>>
>> Look how happy Louise is he
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg
>>
>> I'm the tall fat guy here. You'll see crab legs on the left. We cook
>> there A LOT!
>>
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/k150kz.jpg
>>
>> I weigh 3-4 times what the kids weigh so I made sure the swing was
>> safe.
>>
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/jgml4i.jpg
>>
>> This is the arbor that's in the background or the first picture after
>> it had some vines. It took Louise two years to collect the vines to
>> make it. It's strapped to poles with the cable ties cops use for the
>> nice folks they arrest.
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>>
>> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
>> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
>> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
>> it's not going to be as easy these days.

Looks like a great place for retirement. I really don't know what
kind of bind you're in but have you considered renting the place until
times get better? Right after I closed on my first house after my
divorce I realized the bills would be very tough for me to pay on my
own so I stayed in my apartment and rented the place to a coworker who
was just married. With two incomes and no child support they handled
it easy. Two years later the housing market went nuts, I sold the
house to my coworker for more than three times what I paid (paid $23K
sold $80K), we both made out well, that little house is worth over
$400K now, they still live there and own it free and clear. Of course
you can't count on that happening any time soon but if you can rent
your house for enough to cover expenses even if you need to add some
it's a way for you to keep your house until life gets better, and in
time it will... renting it is far better than losing it or selling at
a big loss. Often one can figure a way to rent only a small portion
of a house for enough money to make up the shortage... and rents are
steep these days, in a nice location an efficiency apartment in a walk
out basement can go for a grand. Just saying there are possibilities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 16:10:12 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>>
>> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
>> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
>> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
>> it's not going to be as easy these days.

>nice pics, lou.

Thanks Blake.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>
> Look how happy Louise is he
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg
>
> I'm the tall fat guy here. You'll see crab legs on the left. We cook
> there A LOT!
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/k150kz.jpg
>
> I weigh 3-4 times what the kids weigh so I made sure the swing was
> safe.
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/jgml4i.jpg
>
> This is the arbor that's in the background or the first picture after
> it had some vines. It took Louise two years to collect the vines to
> make it. It's strapped to poles with the cable ties cops use for the
> nice folks they arrest.
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>
> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
> it's not going to be as easy these days.

Looks like a lovely place Lou. I wish you the best of luck!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 16:27:04 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:55:09 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>>> Life is a mess, sometimes. Best of luck making that decision, I
>>> know it is a hard one.

>> Yup. Even those who seem to have it all together have problems.

>It's easy to think some people just have it all figured out, but I doubt
>there is anyone who doens't have some issue or another.
>
>I'm sorry to hear about the cottage, I hope some kind of magic
>happens and the troubles blow away.
>
>>> You do have Louise, which means a lot.

>> Yes. Even that takes work though. But you know that.

>When you talk about her you always seem to be smiling. Anyway,
>you are one of those people that seem to come out okay, so I
>have faith you'll be better than okay once the dust settles.
>
>nancy

Thanks Nancy

lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:49:07 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>>>
>>> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
>>> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
>>> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
>>> it's not going to be as easy these days.

>Looks like a great place for retirement. I really don't know what
>kind of bind you're in but have you considered renting the place until
>times get better? Right after I closed on my first house after my
>divorce I realized the bills would be very tough for me to pay on my
>own so I stayed in my apartment and rented the place to a coworker who
>was just married. With two incomes and no child support they handled
>it easy. Two years later the housing market went nuts, I sold the
>house to my coworker for more than three times what I paid (paid $23K
>sold $80K), we both made out well, that little house is worth over
>$400K now, they still live there and own it free and clear. Of course
>you can't count on that happening any time soon but if you can rent
>your house for enough to cover expenses even if you need to add some
>it's a way for you to keep your house until life gets better, and in
>time it will... renting it is far better than losing it or selling at
>a big loss. Often one can figure a way to rent only a small portion
>of a house for enough money to make up the shortage... and rents are
>steep these days, in a nice location an efficiency apartment in a walk
>out basement can go for a grand. Just saying there are possibilities.

All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
and it's not close to anything. Not many retired folks want to rent.
And there's a homeowners association which requires both the owner and
the renter to pay the dues. Kinda sucky.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 08:22:35 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 17:49:07 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>Looks like a great place for retirement. I really don't know what
>>kind of bind you're in but have you considered renting the place until
>>times get better? Right after I closed on my first house after my
>>divorce I realized the bills would be very tough for me to pay on my
>>own so I stayed in my apartment and rented the place to a coworker who
>>was just married. With two incomes and no child support they handled
>>it easy. Two years later the housing market went nuts, I sold the
>>house to my coworker for more than three times what I paid (paid $23K
>>sold $80K), we both made out well, that little house is worth over
>>$400K now, they still live there and own it free and clear. Of course
>>you can't count on that happening any time soon but if you can rent
>>your house for enough to cover expenses even if you need to add some
>>it's a way for you to keep your house until life gets better, and in
>>time it will... renting it is far better than losing it or selling at
>>a big loss. Often one can figure a way to rent only a small portion
>>of a house for enough money to make up the shortage... and rents are
>>steep these days, in a nice location an efficiency apartment in a walk
>>out basement can go for a grand. Just saying there are possibilities.

>All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
>and it's not close to anything.

You'd be amazed at how many people work from home. Whenever I need to
rent more than half the inquireys are from people who work from home;
from all kinds of artists/crafts people, tax accountants, and many
traveling sales people who are on the road more than half the time.
Not everyone is a nine to fiver. Most of these home workers prefer a
secluded location. Many of my neighbors are firemen who work in NYC,
they typically work 3 days on, 3 days off... they feel raising their
family in a rural location is worth the 150 mile commute. I had a
tenant here who worked for Otis Elevator, he worked 10 hour days,
worked in NYC 4 days and off 3... he stayed with his girlfriend in her
apartment in NYC and she was here with him most weekends, best tenants
I ever had.

>Not many retired folks want to rent.

Again you'd be surprised, many retired people rent, many have rented
all their life (they don't want the hassle of ownership) and many rent
more than one abode... they'd live in the north summers and in the
south winters. And folks retire relatively young nowadays... 50 is
not too young to retire; many military/civil servants.

>And there's a homeowners association which requires both the owner and
>the renter to pay the dues. Kinda sucky.

So how much are the dues... I won't believe some ridiculous amount...
you can pay the dues for the tenant and include it in the rent. I pay
the mechanicals maintenece costs and include them in the rent; furnace
tuneups and service contract, same for water softener, and I do all
the gardening but apportion a cost... it's a win/win situation,
ensures everything stays in good working order... when tenants are
left to their own devices things fall apart, they won't pay for
preventative maintenance, many homeowners don't either (fools). You're
paying property taxes and home owner insurance too, that's apportioned
into the rent as well. You're not looking to make a killing, just to
hold on to your house. Every house can be rented. And the more rent
you ask the better caliber tenant you attract.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
> and it's not close to anything. Not many retired folks want to rent.
> And there's a homeowners association which requires both the owner and
> the renter to pay the dues. Kinda sucky.
>
> Lou

Kinda? That sounds like the HOAs attempt to prohibit rentals w/o
actually writing the rule into the covenants.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>

> > All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
> > and it's not close to anything. Not many retired folks want to rent.
> > And there's a homeowners association which requires both the owner and
> > the renter to pay the dues. Kinda sucky.
> >
> > Lou

> Kinda? That sounds like the HOAs attempt to prohibit rentals w/o
> actually writing the rule into the covenants.
>
> gloria p

I'd love to see HOA's outlawed. Those *******s get too much power. My
property is MY property! Not theirs! I don't rent it from them.

Can one refuse to join one when purchasing a home?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:50:03 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>

>> All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
>> and it's not close to anything. Not many retired folks want to rent.
>> And there's a homeowners association which requires both the owner and
>> the renter to pay the dues. Kinda sucky.
>>
>> Lou

>Kinda? That sounds like the HOAs attempt to prohibit rentals w/o
>actually writing the rule into the covenants.

HOAs have pros and cons. The truth is most people would rather live
next to someone who owns and cares about the house. The rules make
the place nice but some of them go a bit far. Most of the locals
within commuting distance know of the HOA and would have no part of
living there. You can park a boat on the lawn but if you have a party
and need extra parking you can't park a car on it for even an hour.
If you go buy 10 bags of mulch you can't drive on your lawn to drop
them off at the areas you need them at. You can park a motor home in
your driveway but not a camper unless you're working on it or
sleep in the house. I pushed that one and got away with it but we had
to make sure to keep the motor home blinds closed. The lake is also
private and the rules are debated every month at the meetings. I
understand the meetings get pretty ugly. The list of goofiness goes
on. 99% of the time it doesn't effect me negatively. But I do stay
out of the insane politics.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> HOAs have pros and cons. The truth is most people would rather live
> next to someone who owns and cares about the house. The rules make
> the place nice but some of them go a bit far. Most of the locals
> within commuting distance know of the HOA and would have no part of
> living there. You can park a boat on the lawn but if you have a party
> and need extra parking you can't park a car on it for even an hour.
> If you go buy 10 bags of mulch you can't drive on your lawn to drop
> them off at the areas you need them at. You can park a motor home in
> your driveway but not a camper unless you're working on it or
> sleep in the house. I pushed that one and got away with it but we had
> to make sure to keep the motor home blinds closed. The lake is also
> private and the rules are debated every month at the meetings. I
> understand the meetings get pretty ugly. The list of goofiness goes
> on. 99% of the time it doesn't effect me negatively. But I do stay
> out of the insane politics.
>
> Lou

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'd like to see HOA's outlawed.
City ordinances are generally sufficient to take care of otherwise
trashy neighbors. Complaints to the city are sufficient to make sure
ordinances are enforced.

I speak from personal experience and would NEVER purchase a home in an
area that had an HOA. To me, those ass holes lower property values!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > HOAs have pros and cons.

> Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'd like to see HOA's outlawed.

That makes no sense. That sounds like abolishing city and county
governments because you are unhappy with the elected officials. Maybe
it's different in Texas, but I thought homeowners associations were
composed of the homeowners. If you don't like the people running them,
get new ones. If you are a homeowner there, then aren't *you* part of
the homeowners association?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >
> > > HOAs have pros and cons.

> > Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'd like to see HOA's outlawed.

> That makes no sense. That sounds like abolishing city and county
> governments because you are unhappy with the elected officials. Maybe
> it's different in Texas, but I thought homeowners associations were
> composed of the homeowners. If you don't like the people running them,
> get new ones. If you are a homeowner there, then aren't *you* part of
> the homeowners association?

They run roughshod over new home owners.
I would never, repeat NEVER purchase a home in an area run by those
assholes.

I trust our county officials far more and have had great success in
reporting ordinance violations that caused problems.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 10:40:06 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>> > HOAs have pros and cons.

>> Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'd like to see HOA's outlawed.

>That makes no sense.

No it doesn't make sense. Living in a community or building with an
HOA is a choice and nobody forces you to be there.

>That sounds like abolishing city and county governments because
>you are unhappy with the elected officials.

Or abolishing it because they fine you for not mowing your lawn.

>Maybe it's different in Texas, but I thought homeowners associations were
>composed of the homeowners.

I don't know about Texas either but they're homeowners here sometimes
aided by a local realtor.

>If you don't like the people running them, get new ones.

Yep. We vote every year and even have political parties.

>If you are a homeowner there, then aren't *you* part of
>the homeowners association?

Yes and many of the apathetic ones are the first to complain.

If someone wants to paint their house orange, not mow the lawn and
keep old rusty cars and appliances on it then a HOA isn't for them.
Many others do just fine with the rules.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> If someone wants to paint their house orange, not mow the lawn and
> keep old rusty cars and appliances on it then a HOA isn't for them.
> Many others do just fine with the rules.

Exactly. People move in to a neighborhood because they like the house
and the ambiance, then too many of them want to make radical changes in
their own yards and resent the HOA enforcing the covenants the owner
agreed to in the beginning.

HOAs (if run fairly) protect both your investment as well as your
neighbors'. An Architectural Control subcommittee of our HOA
fields requests for changes, mostly investigating whether the
application meets covenants. Unfortunately too many people are happy
only when the HOA applies the agreed-on regulations to OTHER people's
houses or yards.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:00:02 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> If someone wants to paint their house orange, not mow the lawn and
>> keep old rusty cars and appliances on it then a HOA isn't for them.
>> Many others do just fine with the rules.
>>

>Exactly. People move in to a neighborhood because they like the house
>and the ambiance, then too many of them want to make radical changes in
>their own yards and resent the HOA enforcing the covenants the owner
>agreed to in the beginning.

We have no pools or fences allowed. Some bonehead bought a house and
then hired a lawyer to fight the pool rule. It cost the association
some money but he lost. You can have a small dog run but a couple
idiots a year want a variance of some sort to fit their own needs.

>HOAs (if run fairly) protect both your investment as well as your
>neighbors'. An Architectural Control subcommittee of our HOA
>fields requests for changes, mostly investigating whether the
>application meets covenants. Unfortunately too many people are happy
>only when the HOA applies the agreed-on regulations to OTHER people's
>houses or yards.

Ain't that the truth. We had a guy who was on a mission to change
guest fishing regulations claiming guests were fishing the lake out.
He went to the meetings and bitched a lot and wrote nasty letters to
the local paper for months. Someone got wise to him and video taped
his fishing habits. He was catching his limit several times a day and
taking them home as he did it. Then he sold them to a restaurant. So
it turned out he was the one fishing the lake out. He was fined $775.
He was busted just a few days after one of his rants was published in
the paper.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
> > If someone wants to paint their house orange, not mow the lawn and
> > keep old rusty cars and appliances on it then a HOA isn't for them.
> > Many others do just fine with the rules.
> >

> Exactly. People move in to a neighborhood because they like the house
> and the ambiance, then too many of them want to make radical changes in
> their own yards and resent the HOA enforcing the covenants the owner
> agreed to in the beginning.
>
> HOAs (if run fairly) protect both your investment as well as your
> neighbors'. An Architectural Control subcommittee of our HOA
> fields requests for changes, mostly investigating whether the
> application meets covenants. Unfortunately too many people are happy
> only when the HOA applies the agreed-on regulations to OTHER people's
> houses or yards.
>
> gloria p

I'd just as soon let the city ordinances that are VOTED on take care of
issues with trashy people.

They don't tell me how short to keep my lawn or how many tulips per bed
I can plant.

And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S!

Petty little groups of tyrants...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> We have no pools or fences allowed. Some bonehead bought a house and
> then hired a lawyer to fight the pool rule. It cost the association
> some money but he lost. You can have a small dog run but a couple
> idiots a year want a variance of some sort to fit their own needs.

Good fences make good neighbors.

The first thing I did when I bought a house was to fully fence my yard!
Now my dogs have full run of the property and protect my home from home
invaders.

Will the petty tyrants that run the HOA's pay for a security system for
me? What the hell is wrong with good fencing?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:10:43 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > We have no pools or fences allowed. Some bonehead bought a house and
> > then hired a lawyer to fight the pool rule. It cost the association
> > some money but he lost. You can have a small dog run but a couple
> > idiots a year want a variance of some sort to fit their own needs.

> Good fences make good neighbors.
>
> The first thing I did when I bought a house was to fully fence my yard!
> Now my dogs have full run of the property and protect my home from home
> invaders.
>
> Will the petty tyrants that run the HOA's pay for a security system for
> me? What the hell is wrong with good fencing?

You did what you should have done in the first place and purchased in
an area w/o an HOA. The rest of us that like and agree with our HOAs
bought where we are comfortable. We know no one is going to park a
boat in their front yard or work on their vehicles in the street.
It's a win-win for everyone.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:10:43 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >
> > > We have no pools or fences allowed. Some bonehead bought a house and
> > > then hired a lawyer to fight the pool rule. It cost the association
> > > some money but he lost. You can have a small dog run but a couple
> > > idiots a year want a variance of some sort to fit their own needs.

> > Good fences make good neighbors.
> >
> > The first thing I did when I bought a house was to fully fence my yard!
> > Now my dogs have full run of the property and protect my home from home
> > invaders.
> >
> > Will the petty tyrants that run the HOA's pay for a security system for
> > me? What the hell is wrong with good fencing?

> You did what you should have done in the first place and purchased in
> an area w/o an HOA. The rest of us that like and agree with our HOAs
> bought where we are comfortable. We know no one is going to park a
> boat in their front yard or work on their vehicles in the street.
> It's a win-win for everyone.

Good gods... What is wrong with a boat in the driveway?

And for what it's worth, I did NOT purchase in to an HOA. My
neighborhood is blessedly free of those (w)HOA(r) parasites!

I work instead with legally voted in city ordinances. Which are
enforced! Like my new trashy neighbors that bitched about the mile (or
more) wide issue with the Norway rat problem (that is nation wide) and
tried to blame it on me.

They lost as the issue had been well documented for the past 40 years.
17 years longer than I had been here. I've dealt with it for 23 years.
At my expense poisoning on a tri-annual basis.

These creeps try to store old cars, bikes and other junk yard shit. The
city forces them to sell them off. Nesting sights like old vehicles are
the worst for encouraging rats.

Same same with their pregnant vicious pit bull bitch. There is a city
ordinance against breeding pits.

Hell, they don't even train the dogs they own, much less pups! I had to
install 6K worth of limestone walls so I could sleep as I work night
shifts.

Sorry, but HOA's are petty; The city gets serious about REAL issues that
I can vote for and support at city meetings.

That means a lot more to me and does not lower property values.

Useless POS stupid little HOA's do!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I'd just as soon let the city ordinances that are VOTED on take care of
> issues with trashy people.
>
> They don't tell me how short to keep my lawn or how many tulips per bed
> I can plant.
>
> And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S!
>
> Petty little groups of tyrants...

Not every neighborhood lays within a city. So hence no city ordinances!
Consider that buying into a particular neighborhood *is* like voting.
You just "voted" to move into a neighborhood with certain pre-known
rules. You don't like the rules- don't move there.
Some trashy people don't consider themselves trashy. They consider that
they're "anti-tyrant" yet they are the exact ones who may be bringing
house values down with things like ugly chain link fences when only wood
or picket type fences allowed, multiple animals on small lots, purple
exterior paint, cars parked on the lawns, etc. I wouldn't want to live
next to that house if the rest of the neighborhood is gorgeous. That
ugly house affects *my* homes resale value!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 01:31:58 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>
>> I'd just as soon let the city ordinances that are VOTED on take care of
>> issues with trashy people.
>>
>> They don't tell me how short to keep my lawn or how many tulips per bed
>> I can plant.
>>
>> And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S!
>>
>> Petty little groups of tyrants...

>Not every neighborhood lays within a city. So hence no city ordinances!
>Consider that buying into a particular neighborhood *is* like voting.
>You just "voted" to move into a neighborhood with certain pre-known
>rules. You don't like the rules- don't move there.
>Some trashy people don't consider themselves trashy. They consider that
>they're "anti-tyrant" yet they are the exact ones who may be bringing
>house values down with things like ugly chain link fences when only wood
>or picket type fences allowed, multiple animals on small lots, purple
>exterior paint, cars parked on the lawns, etc. I wouldn't want to live
>next to that house if the rest of the neighborhood is gorgeous. That
>ugly house affects *my* homes resale value!

OM is talking trash again. Her yard is probably the eyesore of the
neighborhood.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 01:31:58 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
> >Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> I'd just as soon let the city ordinances that are VOTED on take care of
> >> issues with trashy people.
> >>
> >> They don't tell me how short to keep my lawn or how many tulips per bed
> >> I can plant.
> >>
> >> And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S!
> >>
> >> Petty little groups of tyrants...

> >Not every neighborhood lays within a city. So hence no city ordinances!
> >Consider that buying into a particular neighborhood *is* like voting.
> >You just "voted" to move into a neighborhood with certain pre-known
> >rules. You don't like the rules- don't move there.
> >Some trashy people don't consider themselves trashy. They consider that
> >they're "anti-tyrant" yet they are the exact ones who may be bringing
> >house values down with things like ugly chain link fences when only wood
> >or picket type fences allowed, multiple animals on small lots, purple
> >exterior paint, cars parked on the lawns, etc. I wouldn't want to live
> >next to that house if the rest of the neighborhood is gorgeous. That
> >ugly house affects *my* homes resale value!

> OM is talking trash again. Her yard is probably the eyesore of the
> neighborhood.
>
> Lou

Actually, I go next door on a regular basis and pick up trash out of
their yard so I don't have to look at it. They have frequent band
practice parties and are sloppy.

This is my house:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...g?feat=directl
ink>

Why you feel the need to constantly attack me for MY OPINIONS is beyond
me! HOA's have way too much power in some places! I own my property and
pay my property taxes. I don't need to pay them annual dues to tell me
what I can and cannot plant on my property.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
>Omelet wrote:
>
>> I'd just as soon let the city ordinances that are VOTED on take care of
>> issues with trashy people.
>>
>> They don't tell me how short to keep my lawn or how many tulips per bed
>> I can plant.
>>
>> And yes, it really can get that ridiculous with HOA'S!
>>
>> Petty little groups of tyrants...

>Not every neighborhood lays within a city.

If you have a zip code you're within a county, city, town, village,
hamlet, whatever yoose call it... and so there will be zoning
ordinances.. some are pretty lax but some are more strict than fusspot
HOAs. In my town the zoning rulz fill a hundred pages; covers
residential, agricultural, commercial, manufacturing, and all levels
of each. Since this is primarily rual I haven't seen a chain link
fence anywhere but there's plenty of barbed wire, electrified fencing,
deer fence, snow fence, and plenty of ornamental fencing of various
types from stockade, picket, wrought iron, split rail, etc. No on
street parking is permitted and all vehicals on the property other
than agri/recreational, must be licenced and registered... anyone
doesn't comply the zoning officer will give one warning and then tow
at owners expence. Agri and recreational vehicals must be kept behind
the house, most are in a barn/shed anyway.

As to lawns none are required, many maintain a mowed lawn, many just
have brush, forest, livestock pasture, crops, all of the above. People
here can live pretty much as they like but no trash is permitted and
the rulz are enforced. Most folks live on large properties and few
can see their neighbor's abode from their own (many homes can't be
seen from the road). The pollution laws are Federal anyway, which
means abandoned vehicals, or any such thing containing petroleum,
antifreeze, and the like. We don't need any steenkin' HOA.

I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> We don't need any steenkin' HOA.
>
> I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
> and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

Well stated.
HOA's are control freaks.

So are some of the people on this list.
That's probably why they approve of them. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> We don't need any steenkin' HOA.
>>
>> I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
>> and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

> Well stated.
> HOA's are control freaks.
>
> So are some of the people on this list.
> That's probably why they approve of them. <g>

Well, you posted a picture of your modest little house. If I were your
neighbor I'd wonder why you planted cheap ass wobbly chicken fencing
around your front yard? Aren't you glad you don't live in a neighborhood
with an HOA?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >
> >> We don't need any steenkin' HOA.
> >>
> >> I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
> >> and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

> > Well stated.
> > HOA's are control freaks.
> >
> > So are some of the people on this list.
> > That's probably why they approve of them. <g>

> Well, you posted a picture of your modest little house. If I were your
> neighbor I'd wonder why you planted cheap ass wobbly chicken fencing
> around your front yard? Aren't you glad you don't live in a neighborhood
> with an HOA?

That is 2" x 4" 20 gauge farm fencing.

I see you need new glasses. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:02:15 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>>
>>> We don't need any steenkin' HOA.
>>>
>>> I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
>>> and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

>> Well stated.
>> HOA's are control freaks.
>>
>> So are some of the people on this list.
>> That's probably why they approve of them. <g>

>Well, you posted a picture of your modest little house. If I were your
>neighbor I'd wonder why you planted cheap ass wobbly chicken fencing
>around your front yard? Aren't you glad you don't live in a neighborhood
>with an HOA?

I had to go to google to see what she was saying as I killfiled her a
long time ago. If people don't want to live with a HOA how hard is it
to just live somewhere else? Bitching about how evil they are is a
waste of time. There's many living situations where a HOA is
certainly not needed. But there are some when it is. A
retirement/vacation community in the middle of bumble**** with very
little in the way of code enforcement would be a disastrous mess in a
year. The place I'm selling maintains it's own roads. Without the
HOA who would decide when to plow snow or fix whatever other problems
occur. There's two zip codes in the community which come from two
little towns. If you leave the gate and go to either town you'll see
homes like OM's worth half of what the homes in the park are.

I don't have a problem with OM's house as it's what she can afford and
I can't even afford my own. But bitching about the evils of HOA's is
ignorant.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:19:42 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
>and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

Did they limit you to a reasonable about of cats?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:35:21 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:19:42 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:
>

>>I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
>>and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

>Did they limit you to a reasonable about of cats?
>
>Lou

Speak Engrish... I just know you are attempting to say something "HOA
Stupid".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:26*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"gloria.p" > wrote:
> > Lou Decruss wrote:

> > > All good points but the problem is anyone renting would need to work
> > > and it's not close to anything. *Not many retired folks want to rent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> they're "anti-tyrant" yet they are the exact ones who may be bringing
> house values down with things like ugly chain link fences when only wood
> or picket type fences allowed, multiple animals on small lots, purple
> exterior paint, cars parked on the lawns, etc. I wouldn't want to live
> next to that house if the rest of the neighborhood is gorgeous. That
> ugly house affects *my* homes resale value!

Actually, in my opinion, properly installed chain link fences are much
more attractive than any wooden or picket fence, unless you've got a
horse farm. I especially like the newer black chain link which tends
to disappear into the background. Wooden fences arbitrarily lean here
and there, are uneven along the tops, break, discolor, etc. - and
block your vision so that yards look like they're tiny. I think
they're ugly.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >Not every neighborhood lays within a city.

> If you have a zip code you're within a county, city, town, village,
> hamlet, whatever yoose call it... and so there will be zoning
> ordinances.. some are pretty lax but some are more strict than fusspot

There are very few county ordinances, if any. Business in a home?
Fine. Outdoor burning? Fine. Campers on the property? Fine. Want
a horse barn? Shed? Commercial truck garden? Cows? Fine. I can't
think of a single zoning ordinance in our rural areas....although
there certainly could be some....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> I especially like the newer black chain link which tends
> to disappear into the background.

Yes, blank chain link does disappear into the landscape when done well.
I wish people would use it more often. In my neighborhood you can only
have fencing in the back yard up to the rear of the home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> There are very few county ordinances, if any. Business in a home?
> Fine. Outdoor burning? Fine. Campers on the property? Fine. Want
> a horse barn? Shed? Commercial truck garden? Cows? Fine. I can't
> think of a single zoning ordinance in our rural areas....although
> there certainly could be some....

For cities, there are usually set backs from the property line for
buildings which effectively cancels out a lot of livestock, including
chickens... if you intend to care for them properly.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 4:26*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *"gloria.p" > wrote:

> > > Kinda? * That sounds like the HOAs attempt to prohibit rentals w/o
> > > actually writing the rule into the covenants.

> > > gloria p

> > I'd love to see HOA's outlawed. Those *******s get too much power. *My
> > property is MY property! Not theirs! *I don't rent it from them.
> >
> > Can one refuse to join one when purchasing a home?
> >

> I've never heard of someone refusing to pay HOAs after buying a home.
> It would be in the purchase agreement.

Seems pretty stupid to buy into a neighborhood (with full disclosure
about the HOA) and then refuse to abide by the rules. Go ahead and
not pay. You or your heirs will pay eventually, because your house
will have a lean against it at the very least.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I've never heard of someone refusing to pay HOAs after buying a home.
> It would be in the purchase agreement.

I don't get the reaction against HOAs. The function of an HOA is to
keep the values up and the neighborhood nice. If I have good taste
then what I do is not a problem with the HOA. If I have bad taste then
chose to live in an HOA area to be able to tap someone else's good
taste. HOA meetings can get petty but they are easily ignored as long
as what you're doing is good stuff. If you want to leave junk in your
yard or paint ugly colors I don't want you in my neighborhood anyways.
Move to some place with no rules and so likely some place that looks bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 5, 4:26 pm, Omelet > wrote:

>> Can one refuse to join one when purchasing a home?

> I've never heard of someone refusing to pay HOAs after buying a home.
> It would be in the purchase agreement.

The HOA doesn't just collect money to be a pain in the ass, they
pay for things that are spelled out in the agreement. Be it snow
removal, or a guard at the gate, or a pool, whatever. If people
refuse to pay, the bill doesn't go away, the other neighbors have to
pay more to make up the shortfall.

Of course you have to pay if you buy into an HOA neighborhood.
By buying there you are a member of the HOA.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:41:15 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:35:21 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:19:42 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:
>>

>>>I once spent a year living in a condo, what a bunch of stoopid rulz
>>>and even more stupid control issue idiots, never again.

>>Did they limit you to a reasonable about of cats?
>>
>>Lou

>Speak Engrish... I just know you are attempting to say something "HOA
>Stupid".

Sorry shemp. I'll try to dumb down my posts from now on so you can
understand them.

Lou