Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brownie recipe (forwarded from another list)

Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)

U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.

It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:

"3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. Shortening shall be a refined,
hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
which
are in common use by the baking industry. Coconut and palm kernel oils
may
be used only in the coating. The shortening shall have a stability of
not
less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM) in
Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils chapter in
the
Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society.
The
shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
Inspection
Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
regulations
promulgated thereunder."

PDF
http://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>
> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>
> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
>
> "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. Shortening shall be a refined,
> hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
> which
> are in common use by the baking industry. Coconut and palm kernel
> oils may
> be used only in the coating. The shortening shall have a stability
> of not
> less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM)
> in Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils
> chapter in the
> Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society.
> The
> shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
> combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
> Inspection
> Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
> regulations
> promulgated thereunder."
>
> PDF
> http://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf

Thanks!

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>
> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>
> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
>
> "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. *Shortening shall be a refined,
> hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
> which
> are in common use by the baking industry. *Coconut and palm kernel oils
> may
> be used only in the coating. *The shortening shall have a stability of
> not
> less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM) in
> Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils chapter in
> the
> Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society. *
> The
> shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
> combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
> Inspection
> Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
> regulations
> promulgated thereunder."
>
> PDFhttp://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf

Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
would use rancid fat.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>
> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>
> It's twenty-six pages long

Taken out of context, this seems to be yet another example of military
and government bloat. However, if genuine, it appears to be an iron-clad
specification for outside suppliers to provide our troops with clean,
safe, wrapped cookies. I'll bet nobody could sneak any adulterant
melamine, say, through that document.

The recipes the military cooks actually use for garrisoned troops are
pretty boring, notable mostly for making 100 servings. Each are only a
single page long. Do a Google search for H00200.pdf for the Brownies and
H00700.pdf for the Oatmeal Cookies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>
> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>
> It's twenty-six pages long

Taken out of context, this seems to be yet another example of military
and government bloat. However, if genuine, this is an iron-clad
specification for outside suppliers to sell clean, safe, wrapped
brownies to the military for our troops. I'll bet that an unscrupulous
supplier couldn't get melamine, say, through this document.

The recipes the military cooks actually use for garrisoned troops are
pretty boring, notable mostly for making 100 servings. Each recipe is
only a page long. Do a Google search for H00200.pdf for the Brownies and
H00700.pdf for the Oatmeal Cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On May 22, 8:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
> >
> > U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
> >
> > It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
> >
> > "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. *Shortening shall be a refined,
> > hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
> > which
> > are in common use by the baking industry. *Coconut and palm kernel oils
> > may
> > be used only in the coating. *The shortening shall have a stability of
> > not
> > less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM) in
> > Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils chapter in
> > the
> > Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society. *
> > The
> > shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
> > combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
> > Inspection
> > Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
> > regulations
> > promulgated thereunder."
> >
> > PDFhttp://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf

> Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
> out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
> trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
> fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
> would use rancid fat.)

I see. I was unaware of that... Manufacturers of military food try to
poison the troops?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:51:35 -0700, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On May 22, 8:18Â*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>>
>> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>>
>> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:

snip

> Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
> out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
> trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
> fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
> would use rancid fat.)

John F. Kennedy Quotations - "My father always told me that all
businessmen were sons of bitches, ...

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:51:35 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On May 22, 8:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>>
>> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>>
>> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
>>
>> "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. *Shortening shall be a refined,
>> hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
>> which
>> are in common use by the baking industry. *

<snip>

> Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
> out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
> trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
> fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
> would use rancid fat.)

exactly.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:18:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>
> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>
> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:

so, do you think contract bakers for store-brand brownies and oatmeal
cookies just make up the recipes as they go along, or make whatever
brownies they feel like making?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:36:40 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 8:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>>> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>>>
>>> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>>>
>>> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
>>>
>>> "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. *Shortening shall be a refined,
>>> hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
>>> which
>>> are in common use by the baking industry. *Coconut and palm kernel oils
>>> may
>>> be used only in the coating. *The shortening shall have a stability of
>>> not
>>> less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM) in
>>> Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils chapter in
>>> the
>>> Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society. *
>>> The
>>> shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
>>> combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
>>> Inspection
>>> Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
>>> regulations
>>> promulgated thereunder."
>>>
>>> PDFhttp://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf

>> Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
>> out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
>> trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
>> fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
>> would use rancid fat.)

> I see. I was unaware of that... Manufacturers of military food try to
> poison the troops?

if you've never heard of contractors providing shoddy goods to the
military, you haven't been paying attention:

"Burn & Loot"

Halliburton has been doing work in war zones since the early 1960s, when it
acquired the construction company Brown & Root and was tasked by the
Pentagon with building the infrastructure for the Vietnam War. Back in
those days, it was vilified as "Burn & Loot." After more than three decades
in news obscurity, in March 2003, with the invasion of Iraq, it suddenly
returned to national attention. After all, not only had its former CEO been
beating the public drums for an invasion, but its subsidiary KBR (the old
Brown & Root) had been given a vast, open-ended, multi-billion dollar
contract to build and maintain the new infrastructure of bases that the
U.S. military was rushing to construct in that country.

More than six years later, KBR has taken in over $31 billion for a variety
of services to the U.S. military, notably in the field of logistics, and
the money continues to flow in. As of April 2008, under a renewed contract,
the company estimated that it had served more than 720 million meals,
driven more than 400 million miles on various convoy missions, treated 12
billion gallons of potable water, and produced more than 267 million tons
of ice. While these numbers may be impressive, so are the multiple claims
from Pentagon investigators of Godzilla-like overcharges and waste, not to
speak of spiraling claims of workplace negligence, including faulty
electrical wiring that led to deaths and injuries on bases KBR built, and a
failure to provide adequately clean water supplies to the troops; and then
there are those allegations of war profiteering made by activist groups and
politicians.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=haliburton+barracks+shock&hl=en&client=fi refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&start=10&sa=N>

remember the inadequately shielded armored carriers? the crappy body
armor? or, if you're old enough, the six-hundred dollar toilet seats and
three-hundred dollar hammers?

cheating the government is one thing the free market does fairly well.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:18:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
> >
> > U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
> >
> > It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
> >

> so, do you think contract bakers for store-brand brownies and oatmeal
> cookies just make up the recipes as they go along, or make whatever
> brownies they feel like making?
>
> your pal,
> blake

No, I just found it amusing that the recipe was so complex!
Lighten up Blake.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> remember the inadequately shielded armored carriers? the crappy body
> armor? or, if you're old enough, the six-hundred dollar toilet seats and
> three-hundred dollar hammers?
>
> cheating the government is one thing the free market does fairly well.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Actually, I do remember those. I'm 48.
It's been a rant of mine about financial inequity.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> remember the inadequately shielded armored carriers? the crappy body
>> armor? or, if you're old enough, the six-hundred dollar toilet seats and
>> three-hundred dollar hammers?
>>
>> cheating the government is one thing the free market does fairly well.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

Cheating? Not always.

Perhaps because the bureaucrats in charge don't know their butts from a
hole in the wall and depend on the CYA effect of masses of test data and
paperwork that really doesn't mean a thing because they don't know
whether their specs are meaningful or what the vendors are really
supposed to supply to meet contract?

A very small part of a military or space mission contract can require
months of repeated design reviews, and qualification testing before
the contract is even issued.

Besides, that toilet seat isn't made of gold, the cost is tied to the
rigid specs. Billions were made on space exploration but it also
created millions of jobs and innovations in many areas of consumer
products, innovations that were not affordable if not government funded.

gloria p
who knows too many engineers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:57:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:18:11 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
>>>
>>> U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
>>>
>>> It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
>>>

>> so, do you think contract bakers for store-brand brownies and oatmeal
>> cookies just make up the recipes as they go along, or make whatever
>> brownies they feel like making?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> No, I just found it amusing that the recipe was so complex!
> Lighten up Blake.

nope, because this is more libertarian hogwash about how the government is
so stupid and can't do anything right. why else would it be 'amusing'?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:58:37 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> remember the inadequately shielded armored carriers? the crappy body
>> armor? or, if you're old enough, the six-hundred dollar toilet seats and
>> three-hundred dollar hammers?
>>
>> cheating the government is one thing the free market does fairly well.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Actually, I do remember those. I'm 48.
> It's been a rant of mine about financial inequity.

it's been going on for as long as there have been fighting entities large
enough to call an 'army.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:57:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> so, do you think contract bakers for store-brand brownies and oatmeal
> >> cookies just make up the recipes as they go along, or make whatever
> >> brownies they feel like making?
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > No, I just found it amusing that the recipe was so complex!
> > Lighten up Blake.

> nope, because this is more libertarian hogwash about how the government is
> so stupid and can't do anything right. why else would it be 'amusing'?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Because you've decided to hate everything I post. I never see you
criticizing others that post this kind of stuff.

So back off.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 5:29*am, whirled peas > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)

> > U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.

> > It's twenty-six pages long

> Taken out of context, this seems to be yet another example of military
> and government bloat. However, if genuine, this is an iron-clad
> specification for outside suppliers to sell clean, safe, wrapped
> brownies to the military for our troops. I'll bet that an unscrupulous
> supplier couldn't get melamine, say, through this document.
>
> The recipes the military cooks actually use for garrisoned troops are
> pretty boring, notable mostly for making 100 servings. Each recipe is
> only a page long. Do a Google search for H00200.pdf for the Brownies and
> H00700.pdf for the Oatmeal Cookies.

It's not obvious, because it's buried well down in the recipe, but
this is
almost certainly the recipe for the brownies that go into MREs.
They're
supposed to be shelf-stable under a wide variety of storage conditions
that would cause most people to throw the stuff away. For example,
who would expect that food sitting on a pallet in a 120 F hangar would
be fit for anything but the garbage? Three years later?

There was a piece on NPR this weekend where a reporter took the
recipe to a local bakery and made a batch. (They weren't very good
brownies, but I suspect that if you've been living on MREs for a week
they'd taste pretty good.) That may have prompted this recipe to
surface on the Web.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:38:06 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:57:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> No, I just found it amusing that the recipe was so complex!
>>> Lighten up Blake.

>> nope, because this is more libertarian hogwash about how the government is
>> so stupid and can't do anything right. why else would it be 'amusing'?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Because you've decided to hate everything I post. I never see you
> criticizing others that post this kind of stuff.
>
> So back off.

i criticize anyone that posts this kind of crap.

om, i don't hate you. it might seem like i've been coming down hard on
you, but you've been posting some whacked-out shit. i'm not the only one
to comment on it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 19:38:06 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> nope, because this is more libertarian hogwash about how the government is
> >> so stupid and can't do anything right. why else would it be 'amusing'?
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > Because you've decided to hate everything I post. I never see you
> > criticizing others that post this kind of stuff.
> >
> > So back off.

> i criticize anyone that posts this kind of crap.
>
> om, i don't hate you. it might seem like i've been coming down hard on
> you, but you've been posting some whacked-out shit. i'm not the only one
> to comment on it.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Maybe I get sick of being politically correct all the time? It gets to
be a bit cramped.

Political correctness:

The theory that one can pick up a turd by the clean end!

I'm also sick to death of taking people's crap all the time and still
attempting to be all sunshine and roses! I just can't take punches all
the time and not fight back after awhile...

Maybe I should just take another long break from this list. Might be
good for time management.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On May 22, 8:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > Sorry, but I thought this was funny as hell. ;-)
> >
> > U.S. Military recipe for brownies and oatmeal cookies.
> >
> > It's twenty-six pages long and replete with such gems as:
> >
> > "3.2.4 Shortening, hydrogenated. *Shortening shall be a refined,
> > hydrogenated vegetable oil or combination of refined vegetable oils
> > which
> > are in common use by the baking industry. *Coconut and palm kernel oils
> > may
> > be used only in the coating. *The shortening shall have a stability of
> > not
> > less than 100 hours as determined by the Active Oxygen Method (AOM) in
> > Method Cd 12-57 of the MIL-C-44072C Commercial Fats and Oils chapter in
> > the
> > Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society. *
> > The
> > shortening may contain alpha monoglycerides and an antioxidant or
> > combination of antioxidants, as permitted by the Federal Grain
> > Inspection
> > Service (FGIS), and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and
> > regulations
> > promulgated thereunder."
> >
> > PDFhttp://liw.iki.fi/liw/misc/MIL-C-44072C.pdf

> Having been in procurement, I can appreciate that every line spelling
> out requirements was borne of bitter experience dealing with suppliers
> trying to make the most profit they can. (why prohibit use of rancid
> fats? Because experience taught them if it wasn't in the spec, people
> would use rancid fat.)

Yeah, just from the above, it doesn't look like a recipe, but a
procurement spec. My wife did food testing for the US Army for 7 years,
and she had some real horror stories, although she didn't get involved
with the bad stuff. Lots of companies exist by ripping off the
government, to the extent that legitimate companies sometimes refuse to
bid.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA