Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White House Dinner for Mexican President

Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-21, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

Oh barf, wretch, gag me with a spoon!

Rick may know how to cook Mexican, but he's a scumsucking lowlife
dirtbag and I wouldn't call on him if he paid ME!!! My opinion of
Obama jes dropped 10 pts. (as if he had 10 pts!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

> Oh barf, wretch, gag me with a spoon!
>
> Rick may know how to cook Mexican, but he's a scumsucking lowlife
> dirtbag and I wouldn't call on him if he paid ME!!! My opinion of
> Obama jes dropped 10 pts. (as if he had 10 pts!)

As you say, Bayless knows how to cook Mexican. That's all the Obamas hired
him to do. He didn't charge for cooking lessons at the dinner. He didn't
give hawk his DVD set. He didn't set up a stall to sell his cookbooks.

Your distaste for his merchandising techniques is noted and long-standing,
but seemingly inapplicable here. The Obamas were frequent diners at
Topolobampo when they lived in Illinois; it's perfectly natural for them to
want to share that Mexican-dining experience with their honored Mexican
guest. If Bayless is the best Mexican chef in the USA (and arguably he is),
why hire an inferior chef for a dinner of such significance? His merchandise
is of no more consequence than his hair color; the important thing is the
quality of the food.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

From what I can put together from vague press releases (which were more
about fawning over the guests than they were about the food), this was the
menu:

* jicama, oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple chunks in a citrus vinaigrette

* "green" ceviche of Hawaiian opah

* Oregon Wagyu beef in Oaxacan black mole with black bean tamalón and
grilled green beans.

* chocolate cajeta tart with toasted homemade marshmallows, graham cracker
crumble and goat cheese ice cream.

Some of that deserves comment:

1. I think the "green" ceviche would be made green by the addition of "green
stuff" just before serving. I'm curious about what the "green stuff" might
have been. If *I* were the one making the ceviche, it would be lime zest (or
pounded kaffir lime leaf), cilantro, roasted poblano and serrano chiles, and
avocado chunks. But that's just me -- and for some reason I wasn't invited.
:-)

2. I have the recipe for the Oaxacan black mole, and I can grill green beans
as well as anybody. I've never tried making a black bean tamalón, so I must
bow to Bayless for that accompaniment. However, I'm curious about the
presentation: That's an awful lot of black-muddy-looking stuff on the plate!
If you were to put together something like that, how would you make it look
appealing to the diners?

3. I've had homemade marshmallows from professional candy-makers, but in
truth I think I'd have used the Jet-Puffed marshmallows he They're
consistent and (in my opinion) just as good as homemade. I also would have
made Mexican chocolate ice cream rather than goat-cheese ice cream, but I
don't know: would serving Mexican chocolate ice cream have perpetuated a
stereotype? People get *so* sensitive about that kind of thing!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 1:23*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> From what I can put together from vague press releases (which were more
> about fawning over the guests than they were about the food), this was the
> menu:
>
> * jicama, oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple chunks in a citrus vinaigrette
>
> * "green" ceviche of Hawaiian opah
>
> * Oregon Wagyu beef in Oaxacan black mole with black bean tamalón and
> grilled green beans.
>
> * chocolate cajeta tart with toasted homemade marshmallows, graham cracker
> crumble and goat cheese ice cream.

Here is more about the menu, and some pictures that are
representative.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...n_580694..html

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>
> Bob

IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I don't
look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any country.
Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a taste of
American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> From what I can put together from vague press releases (which were more
>> about fawning over the guests than they were about the food), this was
>> the menu:
>>
>> * jicama, oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple chunks in a citrus
>> vinaigrette
>>
>> * "green" ceviche of Hawaiian opah
>>
>> * Oregon Wagyu beef in Oaxacan black mole with black bean tamalón and
>> grilled green beans.
>>
>> * chocolate cajeta tart with toasted homemade marshmallows, graham
>> cracker crumble and goat cheese ice cream.

> Here is more about the menu, and some pictures that are representative.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_580694.html

The recipe for the ceviche is modified from this recipe for herbed scallop
ceviche

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=210

I wasn't *too* far off in my guess as to what went into it.

None of the pictures shown were of the food served! All the food photos were
of similar Bayless dishes which were online elsewhere. I guess that's what
was meant by "representative."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> > Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
> > but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> > deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> > Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
> >
> > Bob

> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I don't
> look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any country.
> Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a taste of
> American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

I was thinking the same thing....
Bush most often served guests BBQ at his ranch iirc.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed wrote:

> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
> country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
> taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

Don't forget Creole! (Also don't forget what happened when GHW Bush got
served Japanese cuisine in Japan.)

I think Obama was trying to show common ground with Calderon. He *does* eat
at Topolobampo. Enjoyment of Mexican food is presumably something they have
in common. I'm sure he also wanted Calderon to feel both honored ("Look,
I've brought our finest Mexican chef to cook for us, the guy who just last
year won the Top Chef Master's title.") and at home ("You and me, we're
simpático! Amigos! Verdad?")

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 05:44:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
>> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>
>> Bob

>IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I don't
>look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any country.
>Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a taste of
>American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex, a whole nother
coozine, ie. trailer trash beaner. Rick Bayless no more cooks Mexican
than your local Chinese take out prepares the cuisine of China. Mexico
is a big country, just like China different parts prepare food very
differently, Tex-Mex being the least representitive, Tex-Mex is the
chop suey of Mexican cuisine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

> Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex

Stop right the That's where you're wrong, and because it's right at the
beginning of your stupid spluttering, it invalidates the whole ****ing
stupid thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably
>> competent, but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a
>> special occasion deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the
>> Mexican menu, and the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>
>> Bob

> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
> country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
> taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

I was having similar thoughts. Is it the norm to feed visiting
heads of state foods that they are accustomed to--or variants
thereof? That struck me as odd--and as being possibly perilous
ground. Seems to me it would be far better to serve US fare,
although I don't think meatloaf would be appropriate.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>
> Bob

LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on RFC
didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't native
Mexican born!?? LOL

I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it
makes sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to
Mexicans when perhaps they'd like to try something else on their
travels? When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they
get served?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 03:40:07 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Bob
Terwilliger" > wrote,
>I think Obama was trying to show common ground with Calderon.

I think Obama was singing "Anything you can do, we can do better."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they get
> served?

What kind of message do you suppose would be sent if Obama went to Mexico
and was served chitlins and watermelon?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:41:35 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably
>>> competent, but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a
>>> special occasion deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the
>>> Mexican menu, and the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
>> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
>> country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
>> taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

>I was having similar thoughts. Is it the norm to feed visiting
>heads of state foods that they are accustomed to--or variants
>thereof? That struck me as odd--and as being possibly perilous
>ground.

For politicos kissy-ass supercedes perilous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
>> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
>> country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
>> taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

> I was having similar thoughts. Is it the norm to feed visiting heads of
> state foods that they are accustomed to--or variants thereof? That struck
> me as odd--and as being possibly perilous ground. Seems to me it would be
> far better to serve US fare, although I don't think meatloaf would be
> appropriate.
>
> --
> Jean B.

To be very American he should have served like Martha Randolph (daughter of
Thomas Jefferson) fried chicken with cream gravy. Or, Senate Bean Soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>
>> Bob

> LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on RFC
> didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't native
> Mexican born!?? LOL
>
> I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it makes
> sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to Mexicans when
> perhaps they'd like to try something else on their travels? When American
> presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they get served?

Since when did a US president go to Mexico?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
me.

Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
recipe in "Authentic Mexican".

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
> > but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> > deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
> > the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
> >
> > Bob

> LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on RFC
> didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't native
> Mexican born!?? LOL
>
> I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it
> makes sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to
> Mexicans when perhaps they'd like to try something else on their
> travels? When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they
> get served?

I'd eat it. :-) From a network news site:

The menu, provided by the First Ladyąs office:
Jicama with Oranges, Grapefruit, and Pineapple
Citrus Vinaigrette
Ulises Valdez Chardonnay 2007 łRussian River˛
Herb Green Ceviche of Hawaiian Opah
Sesame-Cilantro Cracker
***
Oregon Wagyu Beef in Oaxacan Black Mole
Black Bean Tamalon and Grilled Green Beans
Herrera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 łSeleccion Rebecca˛
Chocolate-Cajeta Tart
Toasted Homemade Marshmallows
Graham Cracker Crumble and Goat Cheese Ice Cream
Mumm Napa łCarlos Santana Brut˛ N/V

AFA what to serve an international visitor, I think it's pretty cool to
offer some familiar (hopefully) flavors and ingredients in a dish that
may not be a traditional or typical use of the item. JMO.

When my Big Bosses entertained visiting Chinese Big Bosses, they went to
high quality Chinese restaurants * the visitors were not interested in
eating American food. <shrug>
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> > Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
> > but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> > deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> > Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
> >
> > Bob

> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food.

Yahbut, you're not a head of state and no one's trying to impress you,
Ed. "-)

> I don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to
> any country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give
> him a taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

I'll bet the White House staff has researched el presidente's food
preferences and dislikes and paid attention to the notes.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-21 05:41:35 -0700, Jean B. said:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
>> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
>> country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
>> taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

> I was having similar thoughts. Is it the norm to feed visiting heads
> of state foods that they are accustomed to--or variants thereof? That
> struck me as odd--and as being possibly perilous ground. Seems to me
> it would be far better to serve US fare, although I don't think
> meatloaf would be appropriate.

I think there are a number of reasons. One is to reinforce the idea
that their cuisine is not only thought highly of in a foreign nation
(the USA) or one of the wealthiest and mightiest nations in the world
(the USA), but that one of our most highly regarded chefs currently,
Bayless, is a specialist of sorts in a hyrid of Mexico and American
cuisine. You see, it's a metaphor, in the concrete, of the kinship of
nations.

Additionally it was a statement that the lowly cuisine of Mexico has,
in recent years, begun to be accepted as a significant "world cuisine"
along with Japanese, Italian, French, Chinese and Indian. Though I'd
guess American cuisine (even disregarding the seminal meatloaf), still
has a ways to go in this regard.

Finally, perhaps the idea of not taking the same dullard approach as
the Bushes was intentional, as opposed to the blundering mistake of a
non-Republican unable to figure out to do things the way a Republican
would do them. Just as a change of pace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-21 06:41:06 -0700, Bob Terwilliger said:

> Goomba wrote:
>
>> When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they get served?

> What kind of message do you suppose would be sent if Obama went to
> Mexico and was served chitlins and watermelon?

If it was done by a world class chef with imagination I'm sure it would
be delightful. But I don't think Bayless put together a meal of "masa
and beans", to attempt a correlary to your suggestion.

If you're asking what would the message be if any of the dishes
contained tripe or watermelon, I think the message would have be none.
Not that it's important to an insult, but Obama doesn't come from the
south, where chitlins and watermelon were noteworthy food for poor
folks. In Hawaii and Chicago both, the food of poor folk would be
different. But then then Obama wasn't poor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2010 10:03 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably
>>> competent, but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a
>>> special occasion deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the
>>> Mexican menu, and the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on
>> RFC didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't
>> native Mexican born!?? LOL
>>
>> I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it
>> makes sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to
>> Mexicans when perhaps they'd like to try something else on their
>> travels? When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose
>> they get served?

> Since when did a US president go to Mexico?

Last month.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tis only another international gaff by our foolish leader, almost as
arrogant as giving the Queen of England a copy of some of his
speeches. He is such a buffoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
> don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to
> any country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give
> him a taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

LOL!!! I had shared the same thought. But, then, ya know, they don't have
good mexican food in mexico. Or competent mexican chefs.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but
>> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>> the
>> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
> me.
>
> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>
> Victor

I'd love to see your recipe for Menudo. I was thinking of having some for
lunch but since I can only find it in cans. And yes, it contains hominy,
which my friend whose name also is Victor and he's *from Mexico*) tells me
is traditional. Do share! I'm a little strange in that I love tripe and
homniy in a rich spicy broth.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

>LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on RFC
>didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't native
>Mexican born!?? LOL

>I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it
>makes sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to
>Mexicans when perhaps they'd like to try something else on their
>travels? When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they
>get served?

"Arizona Prickly Pears".

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:47:01 -0700 (PDT), Nan wrote:

> Tis only another international gaff by our foolish leader, almost as
> arrogant as giving the Queen of England a copy of some of his
> speeches. He is such a buffoon.

whatever he serves, says, or does is wrong for folks like you.

also you're apparently wrong on the facts:

So what do you get the queen who has everything?

If you're President Obama - and the queen in question is Elizabeth II of
England - you get her a generously loaded iPod that includes video footage
of her 2007 visit to the U.S. and songs made popular on Broadway.

That's what Obama bestowed on Her Royal Highness Wednesday, along with a
rare songbook signed by "The King and I" composer Richard Rodgers, of
Rodgers and Hammerstein fame.

Queen Elizabeth, in turn, gave the Obamas a silver-framed photo of herself
and her husband, Prince Philip, which is apparently the standard-issue gift
at Buckingham Palace for visiting dignitaries.

Her Majesty's Royal iPod gift was stocked with 40 tunes from popular
Broadway productions, including "West Side Story," "My Fair Lady" and
"South Pacific."

The playlist also features "Oklahoma!" Carol Channing's rendition of
"Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," "Memory" from Cats and "Shall We
Dance?" featured in "The King and I."

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/04/01/2009-04-01_president_obama_gives_queen_ipod_loaded_-1.html>

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Victor Sack" > wrote in message
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>>> but
>>> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>>> the
>>> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

>> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
>> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
>> me.
>>
>> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
>> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
>> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>>
>> Victor

> I'd love to see your recipe for Menudo. I was thinking of having some for
> lunch but since I can only find it in cans. And yes, it contains hominy,
> which my friend whose name also is Victor and he's *from Mexico*) tells me
> is traditional. Do share! I'm a little strange in that I love tripe and
> homniy in a rich spicy broth.
>
> Jill

Ah! Memories of Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup, which I haven't had since I was
a child. I wonder if it's still made?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
>>> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
>>> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
>>> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>>>
>>> Victor

>> I'd love to see your recipe for Menudo. I was thinking of having some
>> for lunch but since I can only find it in cans. And yes, it contains
>> hominy, which my friend whose name also is Victor and he's *from Mexico*
>> tells me is traditional. Do share! I'm a little strange in that I love
>> tripe and homniy in a rich spicy broth.
>>
>> Jill

> Ah! Memories of Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup, which I haven't had since I
> was a child. I wonder if it's still made?
>
> Felice

No idea. The brand of menudo I buy is Juanitas. I forgot about Pepper Pot
soup. I'll bet they still make it but it is probably hard to find

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

| I'll bet the White House staff has researched el presidente's food
| preferences and dislikes and paid attention to the notes.

Of course. I'm sure the White House asks what the guest
would like to eat, what allergies or dislikes he has, and
what favorites he has. The thought of a surprise meal at
a state dinner is pretty ludicrous.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message ...

| Since when did a US president go to Mexico?

The last three were Bill Clinton, George W Bush
and Barrack Obama.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-21, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> is of no more consequence than his hair color; the important thing is the
> quality of the food.

A dirtbag is a dirtbag is a dirtbag, skills notwithstanding.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 08:54:02 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent,
>> but when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and
>> the Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>>
>> Bob

>LOL, Not the Rick Bayless that Orlando Whatshisname claimed here on RFC
>didn't have the right to be considered "great" because he isn't native
>Mexican born!?? LOL
>
>I do question the logic of the menu though? I just don't believe it
>makes sense, other than to show respect, to serve Mexican food to
>Mexicans

It shows total lack of respect to attempt to outdo a dignitary's
native cuisine by serving Taco Bell.

>when perhaps they'd like to try something else on their
>travels? When American presidents go to Mexico, what do you suppose they
>get served?

Q'd Pachyderm ribs and wartymelon a la Kenya. hehe

The respectful thing is to serve a cuisine that would be neutral to
both ethnicities... I'da served eastern European fare.

Toast points with caviar/lox n' Crystal Palace vodka
Hot borscht
Braised flanken with creamy horseradish sauce
Potato kugel
Harvard beets
Nesselrode pie/Honeycake
Beverages of choice from Crystal Palace! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:38*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.
>
> Bob

I've always thought it's very odd to serve food from the visitor's
country. They should be serving typical midwest (Chicago) fare.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 7:22*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:
>
> > Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex

> Stop right the That's where you're wrong, and because it's right at the
> beginning of your stupid spluttering, it invalidates the whole ****ing
> stupid thing.
>
> Bob

Yup, Shel obviously doesn't know what Bayless cooks, or anything about
the origins of what he cooks. It's enough to turn me off Sheldon!
Oh, wait .... that's already happened. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:47*am, Nan > wrote:
> Tis only another international gaff by our foolish leader, almost as
> arrogant as giving the Queen of England a copy of some of his
> speeches. He is such a buffoon.

Not to drift into really political waters, but I don't believe anyone
can match either of the Bushes - and especially the younger - for
public buffoonery.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 5:41*am, "Jean B." > wrote:

> although I don't think meatloaf would be appropriate.

You haven't eaten my meatloaf then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 21, 8:25 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> AFA what to serve an international visitor, I think it's pretty cool to
> offer some familiar (hopefully) flavors and ingredients in a dish that
> may not be a traditional or typical use of the item. JMO.

Opah from Hawaii and Wagyu from Oregon showcase fine US ingredients.
Rick Bayless is not only a world class chef but one who has spent many
years demonstrating the greatest respect for Mexican anthropology.
The Obamas are very familiar with his food through his Chicago
restaurants. I think the choice was an obvious winner. -aem