Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menudo (was White House Dinner for Mexican President)

Subject

Menudo and turkey have a lot in common.

Never have gotten hungry enough to eat either one after the first
time.

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote:

> here is that Rick Bayless's recipe I mentioned above, which he says
> he got from Tampico.

Wait: Tampico? Tampico in MEXICO? In Tamaulipas? Are you sure? Because
Sheldon and Om claim that Bayless only cooks Tex-Mex. Is it just that
Sheldon and Om are ignorant?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White House Dinner for Mexican President

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:

> >> Stop right the That's where you're wrong, and because it's right at
> >> the
> >> beginning of your stupid spluttering, it invalidates the whole ****ing
> >> stupid thing.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Living here and having eaten my share of Tex-Mex, Sheldon is correct.

> That's an ignorant statement: Since when is Oaxaca part of Texas?
>
> Bob

I see you missed the point as usual.

Nevermind...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>>> Living here and having eaten my share of Tex-Mex, Sheldon is correct.

>> That's an ignorant statement: Since when is Oaxaca part of Texas?
>>

> I see you missed the point as usual.
>
> Nevermind...

I see you refuse to back up your bullshit when I call you on it. Never mind,
I've already shown you to be wrong in this...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:01*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,

> Besides, our local Taco Bell serves some of the best Mexican food in
> town. * Just because your local one sucks means you have a bad manager.
> Don't condemn the entire franchise.
> --

I'm not thrilled with the Mexican president either, but I wanted to
mention that Taco Bell doesn't serve Mexican food. It serves food that
Americans think is Mexican. I had a Mexican exchange student for a
year, and she didn't recognize a lot of the food served at fast food
places and Mexican restaurants.

Most of the food they served me was not something I would ever find at
a Mexican restaurant. Some of it was very similar to ours such as
chicken and mashed potatoes (they were the BEST mashed potatoes I have
ever eaten, my own attempts have never been that good). There were a
few meals there that I would love to have again. But I have not been
able to copy them well enough to enjoy them like I did there.

Most restaurants that cater to American customers convert their food
to our tastes. For example, I work at a deli with a China Express. It
has the typical menu of a Chinese restaurant. We've had the Chinese
food since 1991, and a good half of my coworkers are Chinese. They do
not buy any of it. And the food they eat in the breakroom looks
nothing like the food we serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:57:29 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>As you say, Bayless knows how to cook Mexican. That's all the Obamas hired
>him to do. He didn't charge for cooking lessons at the dinner. He didn't
>give hawk his DVD set. He didn't set up a stall to sell his cookbooks.

<snip>

Pardon me for saying so, but presenting a Mexican dinner to the
president of Mexico is like carrying coals to Newcastle. <sproing!>
Okay, maybe not coals to Newcastle, but just a bit goofy.

Whyinhell would you present a native Mexican dish to a, erm, Mexican
native in the White House? Why not present a traditional American
dish? I do not understand giving the guy a meal he gets 24/7 at home?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pardon me for saying so, but presenting a Mexican dinner to the> president
> of Mexico is like carrying coals to Newcastle. <sproing!>> Okay, maybe not
> coals to Newcastle, but just a bit goofy.
>
> Whyinhell would you present a native Mexican dish to a, erm, Mexican>
> native in the White House? Why not present a traditional American> dish? I
> do not understand giving the guy a meal he gets 24/7 at home?

There are many people who do not like to eat outside their familiar menu,
most Italians for a start. They probably asked what he liked and could eat.

Years ago the White House always presented a standard continental menu, then
under Jackie Kennedy it became more French. No one gets what is American
food. I had a group expat blogging effort trying to expose Italians (in
Italian) to great American food. Every time someone published something I
would think, "American, maybe, but I never had it like that!" So if we
cannot agree, what could it be? Also, most of the stuff mentioned here has
been completely out of the question for a sit down dinner in evening
clothes. Fried Chicken? Barbecue? Ruin my Narciso? I don't think so!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Look. Did anyone hear the speech he made to the press?
> I heard it on the radio this morning. He can barely speak English so
> why would he not condemn the new Arizona laws? He has no respect for
> the constitution that we live by.

You can be so repulsive sometimes.

ObFood: Stuffed the King Arthur buns with Italian sausage, cheese, and a
little tomato sauce yesterday. Very yummy. Though Carin preferred the
little "pot pie" I made by topping the leftover filling with the small
amount of leftover dough and baking it in a cup. It had a bigger
filling-to-bread ratio, which is up her alley.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > writes:

> In article >,
> Victor Sack > wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> > Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
>> > when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>> > deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
>> > Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

>> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
>> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
>> me.
>>
>> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
>> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
>> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>>
>> Victor

> Look. Did anyone hear the speech he made to the press?
> I heard it on the radio this morning. He can barely speak English so
> why would he not condemn the new Arizona laws? He has no respect for
> the constitution that we live by.
>
> Illegal aliens send a LOT of money to Mexico.
> So do the drug cartels...
>
> And Anchor babies drag our border state hospitals budget into the mud so
> they cannot afford to take care of Americans!
>
> The Arizona governor took a bold and difficult stand and she knows she
> is in the right.
>
> I don't give a rats ass what color law breakers are. They deserve to go
> to jail or be deported.

And in a single post we see all that makes America "great". Tell me, do
you get a discount if you send all your white robes in for cleaning in
one go?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:36:32 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, "Jean B." >
>wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food. I
>> > don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to any
>> > country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give him a
>> > taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

>> I was having similar thoughts. Is it the norm to feed visiting
>> heads of state foods that they are accustomed to--or variants
>> thereof? That struck me as odd--and as being possibly perilous
>> ground. Seems to me it would be far better to serve US fare,
>> although I don't think meatloaf would be appropriate.

>Obama is a very intelligent man. Unfortunately, intelligence never has
>related to common sense. ;-)

Nor intellect.

Intelligence is merely regurgitation.... reading from a teleprompter
is a perfect example of intelligence. Common sense and intellect are
very closely related... intelligence is something spies and rumor
mongers gather.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> >> That's an ignorant statement: Since when is Oaxaca part of Texas?
> >>

> > I see you missed the point as usual.
> >
> > Nevermind...

> I see you refuse to back up your bullshit when I call you on it. Never mind,
> I've already shown you to be wrong in this...
>
> Bob

Sheldon is right. Bayless' cooking style is very Tex-mex.
You don't live here and have not eaten at the plethora of Mexican
Restaurants in the Texas/Mexico border area.

I actually happened to like it, but it's not authentic Mexican food.

You are talking with zero experience.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On May 21, 10:01*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,

> > Besides, our local Taco Bell serves some of the best Mexican food in
> > town. * Just because your local one sucks means you have a bad manager.
> > Don't condemn the entire franchise.
> > --

> I'm not thrilled with the Mexican president either, but I wanted to
> mention that Taco Bell doesn't serve Mexican food. It serves food that
> Americans think is Mexican.

I agree with that, but it's still quite good.

> I had a Mexican exchange student for a
> year, and she didn't recognize a lot of the food served at fast food
> places and Mexican restaurants.

Okay, let's call it what it is then. Tex-mex or Americanized Mexican
food. Bayless does not cook "real" mexican food either.

> Most of the food they served me was not something I would ever find at
> a Mexican restaurant. Some of it was very similar to ours such as
> chicken and mashed potatoes (they were the BEST mashed potatoes I have
> ever eaten, my own attempts have never been that good). There were a
> few meals there that I would love to have again. But I have not been
> able to copy them well enough to enjoy them like I did there.
>
> Most restaurants that cater to American customers convert their food
> to our tastes. For example, I work at a deli with a China Express. It
> has the typical menu of a Chinese restaurant. We've had the Chinese
> food since 1991, and a good half of my coworkers are Chinese. They do
> not buy any of it. And the food they eat in the breakroom looks
> nothing like the food we serve.

Fascinating isn't it? :-)
I'm considering asking my Chinese business acquaintances in Shanghai for
recipes...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Look. Did anyone hear the speech he made to the press?
> > I heard it on the radio this morning. He can barely speak English so
> > why would he not condemn the new Arizona laws? He has no respect for
> > the constitution that we live by.

> You can be so repulsive sometimes.

He has no respect for our laws! Why do you believe that illegal aliens
should be allowed to be criminals and live free off the taxpayers?
I work in health care. I've seen the damage these people do and they
are breaking the Arizona welfare budget! Some border hospitals have gone
out of business.

It's not right and it's not fair. We have immigration laws that can be
followed if they want to become legal citizens.

Why do you support criminal behavior?

> ObFood: Stuffed the King Arthur buns with Italian sausage, cheese, and a
> little tomato sauce yesterday. Very yummy. Though Carin preferred the
> little "pot pie" I made by topping the leftover filling with the small
> amount of leftover dough and baking it in a cup. It had a bigger
> filling-to-bread ratio, which is up her alley.
>
> Serene

Sounds good!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bogbrush > wrote:

> > I don't give a rats ass what color law breakers are. They deserve to go
> > to jail or be deported.

> And in a single post we see all that makes America "great". Tell me, do
> you get a discount if you send all your white robes in for cleaning in
> one go?

I see you just don't get it do you. It's not a matter of racism, (the
best lab manager I ever had was a mexican immigrant and I still love and
miss that man as he's retired), it's a matter of supporting criminal
behavior.

Are you happy doing that? Are you happy supporting freeloaders that
don't pay their fair share of TAXES???

25% plus of my income goes to Taxes! I'd rather see them support real
Americans that also contribute.
--
Peace! Om

Â*Only Irish Â*coffee provides in a single glass all four Â*essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar Â*and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex, a whole nother
>> coozine,

> Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Having eaten at Fronterra/Tomplobampo in Chicago, as well as tons of
Tex-Mex in Texas, I have to disagree. Rick Bayless doesn't seem
"Tex-Mex" to me at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:37:35 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> If you're President Obama - and the queen in question is Elizabeth II of
>> England - you get her a generously loaded iPod that includes video footage
>> of her 2007 visit to the U.S. and songs made popular on Broadway.
>>
>> That's what Obama bestowed on Her Royal Highness Wednesday, along with a
>> rare songbook signed by "The King and I" composer Richard Rodgers, of
>> Rodgers and Hammerstein fame.

> That strikes me as a very thoughtful gift. I'm contrasting it with Bush's
> attempt to give the German chancellor a backrub.
>
> Bob

the look on merkel's face was priceless:

<http://blogs.southflorida.com/citylink_dansweeney/bush_merkel_4.jpg>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:48:34 -0700, Don Martinich wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>>> IMO, it is a dumb move. When I go to Mexico, I eat the local food.

>> Yahbut, you're not a head of state and no one's trying to impress you,
>> Ed. "-)
>>
>>> I don't look for classic (US)American dishes. Same with travel to
>>> any country. Calderon eats good Mexican food every day. Why not give
>>> him a taste of American barbecue or steak, or meatloaf, etc.

>> I'll bet the White House staff has researched el presidente's food
>> preferences and dislikes and paid attention to the notes.

> Yay, Barb! Your's is the first answer that shows some thought. Between
> the White House staff and their Sate Department liaison, I'm sure that
> menu was thoroughly vetted. (As for Bushie, he was probably consulting
> Carl Rove.)
>
> D.M.

yes. i doubt menu selection was high on obama's schedule for whatever that
day was. (i could see suggesting bayless to be michelle's input, though.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:02:14 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
>
>> I question if a guest wants to be fed his own foods when visiting other
>> places. That seems very reasonable a question. And I doubt if the Mexican
>> President's attache said "He only wants Mexican food" but he may have
>> said something along the lines of "no pork,please" or "he doesn't do
>> dairy" or something else. I'm sure they don't dictate the meal.

> As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the menu Bayless created wasn't
> Mexican food, strictly speaking. It was a Mexican-style showcasing of such
> American ingredients as Hawaiian opah and Oregon Wagyu beef. Was it
> something that Calderon LIKED? It's quite possible that only Calderon (and
> possibly his wife) know the answer to that.
>
> Bob

i can see it now: 'jeez honey, more garbage chow from the white house at a
state dinner. really, these people have no class.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:35:16 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> gtr wrote:
>
>> Finally, perhaps the idea of not taking the same dullard approach as the
>> Bushes was intentional, as opposed to the blundering mistake of a
>> non-Republican unable to figure out to do things the way a Republican
>> would do them. Just as a change of pace.
>>

> Which "dullard approach" to eating are you referring to?
> I seem to recall quite a few BBQ meals served by Presidents Johnson and
> Carter.

at state dinners? i don't think so. (and why leave out george bush in
your list?)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:34:46 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:
>>
>>> Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex

>> Stop right the That's where you're wrong, and because it's right at the
>> beginning of your stupid spluttering, it invalidates the whole ****ing
>> stupid thing.
>>
>> Bob

> Living here and having eaten my share of Tex-Mex, Sheldon is correct.

no, he's not:

Rick Bayless (born November 23, 1953) is an American chef who specializes
in traditional Mexican cuisine with modern interpretations. He is, perhaps,
best known for his PBS series Mexico: One Plate at a Time.

Bayless was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States, into a family
of restaurateurs and grocers specializing in the local barbecue. Having
begun his culinary training as a youth, he broadened his interests to
include regional Mexican cooking as an undergraduate student of Spanish and
Latin American culture. After finishing his undergraduate education, he did
doctoral work in Anthropological Linguistics at the University of Michigan
and, from 1980 to 1986, lived in Mexico with his wife, Deann, writing his
first book Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking From The Heart of Mexico.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Bayless>

you've read enough of sheldon's posts here that you should realize that
virtually anything he says on any subject is wrong. it's almost an
anti-talent.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:35:16 -0400, Goomba wrote:

>> gtr wrote:

>>> Finally, perhaps the idea of not taking the same dullard approach as the
>>> Bushes was intentional, as opposed to the blundering mistake of a
>>> non-Republican unable to figure out to do things the way a Republican
>>> would do them. Just as a change of pace.

>> Which "dullard approach" to eating are you referring to?
>> I seem to recall quite a few BBQ meals served by Presidents Johnson and
>> Carter.

>at state dinners? i don't think so. (and why leave out george bush in
>your list?)

I also tend to think state dinners have not included BBQ.

But I did hear Obama went back to have Q for the second time
at 12 Bones in Asheville. Their Q is only moderately good;
it does not rise to the level of righteousness, if you know
what I mean. But they are popular.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 10:54:56 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Pardon me for saying so, but presenting a Mexican dinner to the> president
> > of Mexico is like carrying coals to Newcastle. <sproing!>> Okay, maybe not
> > coals to Newcastle, but just a bit goofy.
> >
> > Whyinhell would you present a native Mexican dish to a, erm, Mexican>
> > native in the White House? Why not present a traditional American> dish? I
> > do not understand giving the guy a meal he gets 24/7 at home?

> There are many people who do not like to eat outside their familiar menu,
> most Italians for a start. They probably asked what he liked and could eat.

I've noticed that a lot. Say, Chinese people eating Chinese food in
restaurants (isn't the rule to eat where the ethnics eat?) and
conversely, Americans eating American fast food all over the world
(not a very high statement about our food).

> Years ago the White House always presented a standard continental menu, then
> under Jackie Kennedy it became more French. No one gets what is American
> food. I had a group expat blogging effort trying to expose Italians (in
> Italian) to great American food. Every time someone published something I
> would think, "American, maybe, but I never had it like that!" So if we
> cannot agree, what could it be? Also, most of the stuff mentioned here has
> been completely out of the question for a sit down dinner in evening
> clothes. Fried Chicken? Barbecue? Ruin my Narciso? I don't think so!

LOL! I know how that is. I ate one little piece of chocolate bark
with almonds yesterday and ended up with chocolate dust all over my
front.

Locally, we have a show on PBS called Check Please! Bay Area - it's a
show where three ordinary people present their favorite restaurant,
all three eat at all three places (not together) to later compare and
review them on the show. One person presented a downtown seafood
place called Sam's Grill, claiming he'd been there a thousand times
which is possible if you've grown up here. Another guy presented a
restaurant from his ethnic background (which we plan to try). His
ethnicity uses sauces and spices in home cooking - apparently he
didn't like the simplicity of the way Sam's presents fish and seafood.
It was very interesting to see someone who didn't appreciate the
simplicity not understand others who did. He stated that he didn't
know why Sam's (which has been in business since 1867) had been in
business for such a long time. His narrow outlook gave us a big
laugh.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:46:48 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Victor Sack > wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> Cristeta Comerford, the White House head chef, is reasonably competent, but
>>> when Felipe Calderón is the guest of honor, it's a special occasion
>>> deserving an especially-talented chef to oversee the Mexican menu, and the
>>> Obamas got a great one: Rick Bayless.

>> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
>> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
>> me.
>>
>> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
>> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
>> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>>
>> Victor

> Look. Did anyone hear the speech he made to the press?
> I heard it on the radio this morning. He can barely speak English so
> why would he not condemn the new Arizona laws? He has no respect for
> the constitution that we live by.
>
> Illegal aliens send a LOT of money to Mexico.
> So do the drug cartels...
>
> And Anchor babies drag our border state hospitals budget into the mud so
> they cannot afford to take care of Americans!
>
> The Arizona governor took a bold and difficult stand and she knows she
> is in the right.
>
> I don't give a rats ass what color law breakers are. They deserve to go
> to jail or be deported.

but in this case, they just happen not to be white. completely
coincidental.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:42:44 +0200, Bogbrush wrote:

> Omelet > writes:
>
>> In article >,
>> Victor Sack > wrote:

>>> If I were the Mexican President, I'd probably think that this was either
>>> bordering on the weak-minded, or else that they were making a mockery of
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Otherwise I'd be overjoyed and hope that Rick Bayless would serve me his
>>> menudo, which he makes sans the vile, evil hominy, according to his
>>> recipe in "Authentic Mexican".
>>>
>>> Victor

>> Look. Did anyone hear the speech he made to the press?
>> I heard it on the radio this morning. He can barely speak English so
>> why would he not condemn the new Arizona laws? He has no respect for
>> the constitution that we live by.
>>
>> Illegal aliens send a LOT of money to Mexico.
>> So do the drug cartels...
>>
>> And Anchor babies drag our border state hospitals budget into the mud so
>> they cannot afford to take care of Americans!
>>
>> The Arizona governor took a bold and difficult stand and she knows she
>> is in the right.
>>
>> I don't give a rats ass what color law breakers are. They deserve to go
>> to jail or be deported.

> And in a single post we see all that makes America "great". Tell me, do
> you get a discount if you send all your white robes in for cleaning in
> one go?

but the non-white launderer overstarches them out of spite!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

>On Fri, 21 May 2010 23:34:46 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Stop right the That's where you're wrong, and because it's right at the
>>> beginning of your stupid spluttering, it invalidates the whole ****ing
>>> stupid thing.

>> Living here and having eaten my share of Tex-Mex, Sheldon is correct.

>no, he's not:

Ever since Diane Kennedy erroneously labeled food indigineous
to Sonora and Alta California as "Tex-Mex", it's been open
season. Sure, go ahead and call Bayless "Tex-Mex" too. The
damage has already been done, the toothpaste is outta the tube, etc.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-22, Omelet > wrote:

> He has no respect for our laws! Why do you believe that illegal aliens
> should be allowed to be criminals and live free off the taxpayers?
> I work in health care. I've seen the damage these people do and they
> are breaking the Arizona welfare budget! Some border hospitals have gone
> out of business.
>
> It's not right and it's not fair. We have immigration laws that can be
> followed if they want to become legal citizens.

They don't care or want to follow our laws. How many protests have
been televised showing illegal aliens from Mexico waving the Mexican
flag? So many, in fact, that 3 yrs ago a major US wide protest that
went on for 3 days (Cinco de Mayo?) had organizers pleading with
protesters to quit displaying the damn Mexican flag!!

My SIL is Mexican-American, which makes my granddaughters part
Mexican. My step mother is Mexican American. I got no problems with
that. What I have problems with is illegal aliens coming in here and
getting free public assistance and driving down wages in industries
that haven't seen a wage raise in 30 yrs!

Illegal is illegal is illegal, race notwithstanding.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-05-22, Omelet > wrote:

>> He has no respect for our laws! Why do you believe that illegal aliens
>> should be allowed to be criminals and live free off the taxpayers?
>> I work in health care. I've seen the damage these people do and they
>> are breaking the Arizona welfare budget! Some border hospitals have gone
>> out of business.

>> It's not right and it's not fair. We have immigration laws that can be
>> followed if they want to become legal citizens.

>They don't care or want to follow our laws. How many protests have
>been televised showing illegal aliens from Mexico waving the Mexican
>flag? So many, in fact, that 3 yrs ago a major US wide protest that
>went on for 3 days (Cinco de Mayo?) had organizers pleading with
>protesters to quit displaying the damn Mexican flag!!

Mexicans aren't illegal. The Mexican War was illegal. Nobody
asked anglo-Americans to move to Arizona in the first place.
Mexicans have been migrating for economic reasons throughout
the southwest for three centuries before the U.S. muscled its
way in. They have continued to do so ever since and will continue to
do so for the indefinite future. The current round of Anglos
complaining about it is an irrelevant blip. A bogey on the radar.
Next thing you know it will have disappeared.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > brooklyn1 > wrote:
> >
> >> Rick Bayless is no Mexican cook... he cooks Tex-Mex, a whole nother
> >> coozine,

> > Unfortunately, I have to agree.

> Having eaten at Fronterra/Tomplobampo in Chicago, as well as tons of
> Tex-Mex in Texas, I have to disagree. Rick Bayless doesn't seem
> "Tex-Mex" to me at all.

I guess it depends on what you order.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> >> I don't give a rats ass what color law breakers are. They deserve to go
> >> to jail or be deported.

> > And in a single post we see all that makes America "great". Tell me, do
> > you get a discount if you send all your white robes in for cleaning in
> > one go?

> but the non-white launderer overstarches them out of spite!
>
> your pal,
> blake

You people that keep making this a racist issue are the ones that are
racist! Once and for all, it's about ILLEGAL ALIENS! Of any race, color
or creed.

They don't pay taxes. I do and I'm sick of supporting their illegal
asses!

FYI many illegals coming over the border are european and Eurasian, not
Mexican.

Wake the hell up already.

When I get stopped for a traffic violation, I get asked for ID. Why
should stopping anyone of "color" be any different? That is just as
racist as any other proposed practice!

We need better border security and there is not one damned thing wrong
with the new Arizona law. All it does is to free cops up to do their
jobs in enforcing LAWS. Before, they were restricted out of fears of
"being politically incorrect". Look it up.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sat, 22 May 2010 14:54:42 -0500:

>> Omelet wrote:

> >> Unfortunately, I have to agree.

>> Having eaten at Fronterra/Tomplobampo in Chicago, as well as
>> tons of Tex-Mex in Texas, I have to disagree. Rick Bayless
>> doesn't seem "Tex-Mex" to me at all.

> I guess it depends on what you order.

It might be hard to tell in the US, even if some Mexican restaurants are
not Tex-Mex, but each state of Mexico has fairly characteristic cuisine.
Tex-Mex derives from the cooking of the rather impoverished border state
of Sonora.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Ah! Memories of Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup, which I haven't had since I
>>> was a child. I wonder if it's still made?
>>>
>>> Felice
>>>

>> No idea. The brand of menudo I buy is Juanitas. I forgot about Pepper
>> Pot soup. I'll bet they still make it but it is probably hard to find
>>
>> Jill

> I haven't seen it for eons. But perhaps it is regional. Lemme go look at
> the Campbell's site.... I didn't see it in the most likely categories. I
> was pleased to see they are still (or again) making Bean with Bacon Soup
> though.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Ah, I love Bean with Bacon! And yes, that's one of the canned soups I do
still buy

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:02:17 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> They don't pay taxes. I do and I'm sick of supporting their illegal
> asses!

You're listening to too many talking heads on Fox. They pay the same
taxes on goods and services that you pay. They just don't pay income
tax, because it's illegal to do so. Take a breath and think about
*how* they get that income you don't want them to have. It's somebody
just like you who hires them by the hour and pays them under the table
or some unscrupulous employer who is taking advantage of their
situation. I'd be more angry about SSI abuse if I were you.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Pardon me for saying so, but presenting a Mexican dinner to the
> president of Mexico is like carrying coals to Newcastle. <sproing!>
> Okay, maybe not coals to Newcastle, but just a bit goofy.
>
> Whyinhell would you present a native Mexican dish to a, erm, Mexican
> native in the White House? Why not present a traditional American
> dish? I do not understand giving the guy a meal he gets 24/7 at home?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Do you know for sure that he doesn't have a French chef at home?

It sounds as though Bayless provided a pretty ornate take on Mexican
recipes, using very good American ingredients. We can only speculate.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

>In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> It shows total lack of respect to attempt to outdo a dignitary's
>> native cuisine by serving Taco Bell.

>He deserved it.
>He has no respect for US law. Why should we respect his tastes?

I never said otherwise... up to me I wouldn't allow that illegal in.

>Besides, our local Taco Bell serves some of the best Mexican food in
>town. Just because your local one sucks means you have a bad manager.
>Don't condemn the entire franchise.

I've actually eaten at many Taco Bells and in various states... all
are pretty much the same... all serve mainly cheap Tex-Mex and cola.
Truth is most of Mexico eats the same fare most Americans eat, not
even seasoned differently... they definitely do not eat Tex-Mex. They
do eat a tremendous amount of fresh caught seafood.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, I have to agree.

>> Having eaten at Fronterra/Tomplobampo in Chicago, as well as tons of
>> Tex-Mex in Texas, I have to disagree. Rick Bayless doesn't seem
>> "Tex-Mex" to me at all.

> I guess it depends on what you order.

What have you eaten from his kitchen again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-05-22, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > He has no respect for our laws! Why do you believe that illegal aliens
> > should be allowed to be criminals and live free off the taxpayers?
> > I work in health care. I've seen the damage these people do and they
> > are breaking the Arizona welfare budget! Some border hospitals have gone
> > out of business.
> >
> > It's not right and it's not fair. We have immigration laws that can be
> > followed if they want to become legal citizens.
> >

> They don't care or want to follow our laws. How many protests have
> been televised showing illegal aliens from Mexico waving the Mexican
> flag? So many, in fact, that 3 yrs ago a major US wide protest that
> went on for 3 days (Cinco de Mayo?) had organizers pleading with
> protesters to quit displaying the damn Mexican flag!!
>
> My SIL is Mexican-American, which makes my granddaughters part
> Mexican. My step mother is Mexican American. I got no problems with
> that. What I have problems with is illegal aliens coming in here and
> getting free public assistance and driving down wages in industries
> that haven't seen a wage raise in 30 yrs!
>
> Illegal is illegal is illegal, race notwithstanding.
>
> nb

Thanks for understanding. :-) I cannot help but think that those that
keep trying to make this a racial issue (when it's anything but) are the
real racists!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine