Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Great article about pizza dough......

We've talked about pizza dough lots just since I've been in this group
but here's another take on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dining/19pizza.html

I'm going to stick my pizza stone in my bbq and try that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:12:30 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>We've talked about pizza dough lots just since I've been in this group
>but here's another take on it.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dining/19pizza.html
>
>I'm going to stick my pizza stone in my bbq and try that.

The advice to retard the dough overnight that the article mentions, is
quite commonly accepted among breadies for helping to deepen flavor.

It really works well, and is the basis of the artisan bread 5 minute
thingy.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2010 3:15 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:12:30 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> We've talked about pizza dough lots just since I've been in this group
>> but here's another take on it.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dining/19pizza.html
>>
>> I'm going to stick my pizza stone in my bbq and try that.

> The advice to retard the dough overnight that the article mentions, is
> quite commonly accepted among breadies for helping to deepen flavor.

And almost certainly the way the typical evil mom & pop pizza shop
prepares their dough.

> It really works well, and is the basis of the artisan bread 5 minute
> thingy.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> We've talked about pizza dough lots just since I've been in this group
> but here's another take on it.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dining/19pizza.html
>
> I'm going to stick my pizza stone in my bbq and try that.

I use high-protein flour and I let the dough ferment in the fridge for
at least 24 hours, usually longer. Last time, I tried using half
bread flour and half all-purpose flour, and the dough was easier to
work but the crust had less flavor and didn't brown as well. But the
"easier to work" part was enough that I need to revisit this.

I like the idea of using sourdough starter. I have some rye flour in
the basement freezer; might be time to start a culture going. (start
with rye, feed it with wheat AP flour once it's alive and bubbly)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 20, 12:16*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > We've talked about pizza dough lots just since I've been in this group
> > but here's another take on it.

> >http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/dining/19pizza.html

> > I'm going to stick my pizza stone in my bbq and try that.

> I use high-protein flour and I let the dough ferment in the fridge for
> at least 24 hours, usually longer. *Last time, I tried using half
> bread flour and half all-purpose flour, and the dough was easier to
> work but the crust had less flavor and didn't brown as well. *But the
> "easier to work" part was enough that I need to revisit this.
>
> I like the idea of using sourdough starter. *I have some rye flour in
> the basement freezer; might be time to start a culture going. *(start
> with rye, feed it with wheat AP flour once it's alive and bubbly)
>
> Bob

I'm going to use sourdough starter as well. Sounds like pizza this
weekend for sure.

Pizza cutting wheel also great for cutting dough up for rolls.++ Kalmia General Cooking 8 22-08-2012 05:14 PM
Pizza Dough Audrey McVean Recipes (moderated) 0 10-02-2008 10:34 PM
Pizza Dough vanessa rutkowski Recipes (moderated) 0 23-11-2005 03:38 AM
Article on Pizza Hans Fugal Sourdough 9 04-07-2004 09:59 PM
I need help with my pizza dough! Marc General Cooking 38 26-02-2004 12:30 AM