Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What size pan to bu and use to bake HALF of the cake mix?

I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
it to a friend's kids.

The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
there.

BTW, I got cream chees topping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 11:32*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>
> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Are you going to mix it all and use only half, or are you going to mix
half? You should probably mix it all, bake 2- 8 or 9 inch layers, and
put one in the freezer for later...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 1:32*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>
> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Next time take the ****ing oven mitts off before typing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 1:32*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>
> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Half would take an 8- or 9-inch round cake pan, or an 8-inch square
pan. Bake it all in two pans, and freeze one for later. Don't put
icing on it until it's thawed.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 1:31*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On May 14, 1:32*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> > it to a friend's kids.

> > The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
> > Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> > rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> > indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> > there.

> > BTW, I got cream chees topping.

> Next time take the ****ing oven mitts off before typing.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:45:10 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On May 14, 1:31*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
>> On May 14, 1:32*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>>
>> > I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
>> > it to a friend's kids.

>> > The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
>> > Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
>> > rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
>> > indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
>> > there.

>> > BTW, I got cream chees topping.

>> Next time take the ****ing oven mitts off before typing.

>ROTFLMAO!!!

Not sure if I want to comment
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>

> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

8" square pan (or a shallow 1.5 quart casserole dish)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 4:09*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> | 9x9 or the whole thing 9x13 in.
>
> 81 sq in or the whole thing 117 sq in? *Boggles the mind.

Simple multiplication boggles your mind?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>
> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Yuo shlo uddby u pansixe w/ haflfl arae seam gheiht as if mdea whoel rcpeei.
Snice box caek 4 13x9, y ouwa ntpan 6.5x9 or 13x4.5 (eezzy rectangluar).
Suawreq? Dnif 7.648529270389177; andour = 8.6304410876273883027112067914147
diatomer. NICHES, TON TREMIC!

OK?

Bob
"You are such a genious[sic] ..NOT." ---amandaF

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2010 8:32 AM, Manda Ruby wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>

> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Half a box ain't gonna cut it. Today's box mixes are so downsized that
it's an insult to cakes. Mix up the entire box and fill up whatever pan
you want to use at least half full, more is better. Make cupcakes with
any leftovers or give it to your cats. I have to use my mouth and a
pencil to type too. Thank God for spellcheck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:18:07 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> Half a box ain't gonna cut it. Today's box mixes are so downsized that
> it's an insult to cakes.

Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:05:45 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On May 14, 11:32*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
>> it to a friend's kids.
>>
>> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
>> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
>> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
>> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
>> there.
>>
>> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

>Are you going to mix it all and use only half, or are you going to mix
>half? You should probably mix it all, bake 2- 8 or 9 inch layers, and
>put one in the freezer for later...

Later? Frozen cake is like frozen chocolate... the trick is to freeze
some before you eat it all. I never heard of anyone making half a box
cake... how do you divide the three eggs? LOL I never saw a box cake
that says it feeds 12, not unless 12 cupcakes for a rugrat party
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 2:32*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>
> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. *I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
>indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Oh, come ON. Why are you always trying to save 50 cents worth of
beans, and such. Now it's a cake mix. Why not get a real recipe and
quit buying that junk in a box?

If you have to, make the whole boxed thing and give a neighbor a big
slice. You might even make someone's acquaintance if you have to
borrow a pan.

Sometimes I think you post these ridiculous situations just to get our
collective goats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On May 14, 4:09 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> | 9x9 or the whole thing 9x13 in.
>
> 81 sq in or the whole thing 117 sq in? Boggles the mind.

Simple multiplication boggles your mind?

Oh yeah, and then gloria p adds solid geometry to the mix.
OMG the permutations and combinations!!!

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:07:57 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
> On May 14, 4:09 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> > | 9x9 or the whole thing 9x13 in.
> >
> > 81 sq in or the whole thing 117 sq in? Boggles the mind.

> Simple multiplication boggles your mind?

> Oh yeah, and then gloria p adds solid geometry to the mix.
> OMG the permutations and combinations!!!

Don't beat a dead horse. It wasn't funny the first time around.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:56:29 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Sometimes I think you post these ridiculous situations just to get our
> collective goats.

I often wonder why people bother replying to such dumb posts. They
have to be bored.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:07:57 -0400, "pavane"
| > wrote:

| > > 81 sq in or the whole thing 117 sq in? Boggles the mind.
| >
| > Simple multiplication boggles your mind?

| > Oh yeah, and then gloria p adds solid geometry to the mix.
| > OMG the permutations and combinations!!!
| >

| Don't beat a dead horse. It wasn't funny the first time around.

And you were?:
"Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved."

Wow, scintillating indeed. Intellectual and dazzling indeed.
A veritable masterstroke of genius. Thank you so much for
sharing this with all of us. Jiffy Mix indeed. Our Savior!
We stand abashed and welcoming of your critiques.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2010 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:18:07 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> Half a box ain't gonna cut it. Today's box mixes are so downsized that
>> it's an insult to cakes.

> Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved.

I sure have! Mostly, they just make cornbread mix. My guess is that they
haven't ventured into the red velvet cake arena yet. I'm keeping my
fingers crossed!

OTOH, I saw on TV the most blasphemous of claims - that RVC is not
really a chocolate cake. Boy, the stuff you see on TV these days!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> it to a friend's kids.
>

> The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
> Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got
> rid of mine long long time ago I which I use donly once and had
> indulged myslef in fancy deserts of Houston's restaurant when I lived
> there.
>
> BTW, I got cream chees topping.

Use one layer pan instead of two. Duh. Or use an 8x8" square pan.
Weigh the dry mix and divide it in half.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 7:23*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:56:29 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> > Sometimes I think you post these ridiculous situations just to get our
> > collective goats.

> I often wonder why people bother replying to such dumb posts. *They
> have to be bored.

For the same reason you sit around replying to every post on RFC, and
telling people what to read, what to say, what to ignore, like you've
been elected moderator or something. You're about as relevant as a
dog turd on the sidewalk.

Now grace us all with one of you're standard oh-so-cutting (and
boring) remarks, we're all waiting on the edge of our seats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:43:21 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message ...
> | On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:07:57 -0400, "pavane"
> | > wrote:

> | > Simple multiplication boggles your mind?

> | > Oh yeah, and then gloria p adds solid geometry to the mix.
> | > OMG the permutations and combinations!!!
> | >

> | Don't beat a dead horse. It wasn't funny the first time around.
>
> And you were?:
> "Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved."
>
> Wow, scintillating indeed. Intellectual and dazzling indeed.
> A veritable masterstroke of genius. Thank you so much for
> sharing this with all of us. Jiffy Mix indeed. Our Savior!
> We stand abashed and welcoming of your critiques.

You're welcome. I'm surprised that mavens such as yourself couldn't
think of something so simple.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:51:03 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/14/2010 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:18:07 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Half a box ain't gonna cut it. Today's box mixes are so downsized that
> >> it's an insult to cakes.

> > Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved.
> >

> I sure have! Mostly, they just make cornbread mix. My guess is that they
> haven't ventured into the red velvet cake arena yet. I'm keeping my
> fingers crossed!

There is a whole world of Jiffy Mix mixes for you to choose from. No
more need to split regular boxes of mix.
http://www.jiffymix.com/products.php I'm sure you can add red food
coloring to Devil's Food and turn it into Red Velvet cake just like
everyone else.

> OTOH, I saw on TV the most blasphemous of claims - that RVC is not
> really a chocolate cake. Boy, the stuff you see on TV these days!

Who knew? I hear red velvet and think fabric, not cake.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2010 4:51 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:51:03 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/14/2010 1:19 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:18:07 -1000, dsi1

>>> Hasn't anyone heard of Jiffy Mix? Use that, problem solved.
>>>

>> I sure have! Mostly, they just make cornbread mix. My guess is that they
>> haven't ventured into the red velvet cake arena yet. I'm keeping my
>> fingers crossed!

> There is a whole world of Jiffy Mix mixes for you to choose from. No
> more need to split regular boxes of mix.
> http://www.jiffymix.com/products.php I'm sure you can add red food
> coloring to Devil's Food and turn it into Red Velvet cake just like
> everyone else.

Ah, you're right. Boy do I feel dumb!

>> OTOH, I saw on TV the most blasphemous of claims - that RVC is not
>> really a chocolate cake. Boy, the stuff you see on TV these days!

> Who knew? I hear red velvet and think fabric, not cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:57:54 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/14/2010 4:51 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:51:03 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> I sure have! Mostly, they just make cornbread mix. My guess is that they
> >> haven't ventured into the red velvet cake arena yet. I'm keeping my
> >> fingers crossed!

> > There is a whole world of Jiffy Mix mixes for you to choose from. No
> > more need to split regular boxes of mix.
> > http://www.jiffymix.com/products.php I'm sure you can add red food
> > coloring to Devil's Food and turn it into Red Velvet cake just like
> > everyone else.

> Ah, you're right. Boy do I feel dumb!

The grocery stores I frequent have cut way back on Jiffy Mix products.
Maybe all you see these days is cornbread mix. I haven't seen the
Devil's Food cake mix in practically forever where I shop.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 14 May 2010 10:05:59p, dsi1 told us...
>
>> On 5/14/2010 5:49 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> As to baking half a cake mix, it will fill one 8 or 9 inch cake
>>> pan.
>>>
>>> The purported original Red Velvet Cake was a cake made with cocoa
>>> and called for an entire bottle of red food coloring. It didn't
>>> have a particularly unique flavor, except in combination with the
>>> original filling/frosting recipe which was a cooked base using
>>> flour as a thickener.

>> The RVC recipes I've seen used an entire bottle of red. The reason
>> being that you have to be able to overpower the dark chocolate
>> cake. The solution to this problem is simple - use a lot less
>> cocoa powder and you don't need as much food coloring. The Bobby
>> Flay Red Velvet Cake Throwdown show last night used only 1 T. of
>> cocoa and the color of the cake was just great. Start with a light
>> cake base and you won't need much red to get a dramatic looking
>> cake. Well, at least, that's what I saw on TV last night. :-)

> While that may be true, with that little cocoa there is also little
> of the intended flavor.

Depends on what you think the cake is supposed to taste like. There
exists people that will strongly deny that this cake is a chocolate
cake. The master cake maker on that show added a little cocoa only to
cut the taste of the red food coloring. His flavor components were
vinegar, butter milk, vanilla, and butter with a little cocoa - but not
enough to make this a chocolate cake. I'm not making this up - just
giving you the facts as presented on the show. People will also claim
the this cake did not originate at the Waldorf Astoria. Talk about
busting bubbles!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> The message >
> from Melba's Jammin' > contains these words:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Manda Ruby > wrote:

> > > I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
> > > it to a friend's kids.
> > >

> > > The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
> > > Which size baking pan should I use? I am ging to buy one since I got

(snip)

> > Use one layer pan instead of two. Duh. Or use an 8x8" square pan.
> > Weigh the dry mix and divide it in half.

> You devil you, mentioning the W word.
>
> Janet

I got the debil in my soul, Janet. :-)
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:44:42 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick wrote:

> Now grace us all with one of you're standard oh-so-cutting (and
> boring) remarks, we're all waiting on the edge of our seats.

self-awareness isn't your strong point, is it?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
>it to a friend's kids.
>
>The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
>Which size baking pan should I use?

They're kids -- make cupcakes. Half a box makes 12.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:32:06 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>
>>I bought a box of Duncan Hines Moist Delux Red Velvet to bake and take
>>it to a friend's kids.
>>
>>The box has 18.25oz and serves 12. I only wan tto bake half of it.
>>Which size baking pan should I use?

> They're kids -- make cupcakes. Half a box makes 12.

I knew from the subject that this as amanda moron.

Bake the Cake.... Maahi Baking 0 04-12-2009 05:59 PM
I Going to Bake a Cake [email protected] Baking 1 26-07-2007 11:46 PM
No Bake Fruit Cake Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 27-07-2006 03:51 AM
One-Half (1/2) Gallon Size Ziplock Bags General Cooking 12 21-03-2004 06:14 PM
gem cake pan recipes; bite-size desserts njl Baking 0 09-11-2003 03:42 PM