Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Maid Pickles - Always that nasty?

I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
terrible. They taste old, stale, musty. Like they've been sitting
in the pantry for near a decade. I have to admire the size and
shape, though. A perfect pickle (it's true potential is wasted,
though).

Isn't this the same brand of pickle that featured on A&E or History
channel 6 weeks ago? I remember that it wasn't a very flattering
segment.

ObFood: Anybody near Carthage know why Ott's Salad Dressing is so
"Famous"? A sweet French-like dressing that has a burnt taste.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 9:00*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". *It was
> one of those $1 "giant" pickles. *I think I may have had one of
> these before, and I think I had the same reaction: *Downright
> terrible. *They taste old, stale, musty. *Like they've been sitting
> in the pantry for near a decade. *I have to admire the size and
> shape, though. *A perfect pickle (it's true potential is wasted,
> though).
>
> Isn't this the same brand of pickle that featured on A&E or History
> channel 6 weeks ago? *I remember that it wasn't a very flattering
> segment.
>
> ObFood: *Anybody near Carthage know why Ott's Salad Dressing is so
> "Famous"? *A sweet French-like dressing that has a burnt taste.

Buy a jar and satisfy yourself. Available at Walmarts, supposedly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 23:00:13 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
>one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
>these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
>terrible.

Well, it's a maid pickle.... duh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:24:13 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> Buy a jar and satisfy yourself. Available at Walmarts, supposedly.

I've seen them "the pickles, I assume" at all the grocery stores.
Why would I buy it if I probably won't like it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 07:47:36 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 23:00:13 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
>>one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
>>these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
>>terrible.

> Well, it's a maid pickle.... duh

Lame. Let me help you out here.... They're made in Texass.
Certainly you can come up with a slightly better comeback now that
you know that.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
> one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
> these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
> terrible. They taste old, stale, musty. Like they've been sitting
> in the pantry for near a decade. I have to admire the size and
> shape, though. A perfect pickle (it's true potential is wasted,
> though).

They proably *were* sitting around for a decade :0 Or kept too warm.

We buy that brand from time to time. If they are within the sell-by
date, they're fine.

> Isn't this the same brand of pickle that featured on A&E or History
> channel 6 weeks ago? I remember that it wasn't a very flattering
> segment.
>
> ObFood: Anybody near Carthage know why Ott's Salad Dressing is so
> "Famous"? A sweet French-like dressing that has a burnt taste.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:39:00 -0600, Arri London wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
>> one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
>> these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
>> terrible. They taste old, stale, musty. Like they've been sitting
>> in the pantry for near a decade. I have to admire the size and
>> shape, though. A perfect pickle (it's true potential is wasted,
>> though).

> They proably *were* sitting around for a decade :0 Or kept too warm.
>
> We buy that brand from time to time. If they are within the sell-by
> date, they're fine.

The food at this trailer sucks so bad (I had the gyro) that it
couldn't have been open very long. The original gallon jug was
still 3/4 full.

But it could have been anywhere before that.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:39:00 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> I bought one of these from a street-side sandwich "cart". It was
> >> one of those $1 "giant" pickles. I think I may have had one of
> >> these before, and I think I had the same reaction: Downright
> >> terrible. They taste old, stale, musty. Like they've been sitting
> >> in the pantry for near a decade. I have to admire the size and
> >> shape, though. A perfect pickle (it's true potential is wasted,
> >> though).

> > They proably *were* sitting around for a decade :0 Or kept too warm.
> >
> > We buy that brand from time to time. If they are within the sell-by
> > date, they're fine.

> The food at this trailer sucks so bad (I had the gyro) that it
> couldn't have been open very long. The original gallon jug was
> still 3/4 full.
>
> But it could have been anywhere before that.
>
> -sw

True! A 'forgotten' jar of pickles at the back of the cupboard in our
house certainly was 'stale' when we opened it. Thinking it had been in
there for a year or so Commercial pickles aren't always really
well-pickled are they? They are too mild to be properly fermented or
salted.

? What to do with nasty liqueurs zxcvbob General Cooking 19 21-02-2009 09:32 PM
Nasty Weather jmcquown General Cooking 8 11-05-2006 03:20 AM
The Meter Maid Ain't So Lovely modom General Cooking 0 24-09-2005 11:53 PM
Honey Maid S'mores Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:50 AM
Honey Maid S'mores Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-01-2004 02:56 PM