Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking for a small (2.25-2.50 quart) enamel-coated 2-handle pot/pan

All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
use/cooking.

The one I want is approx 6.25" ID and 4.5" inside height.

Holds about 9 cups liquid (measured it). This is my most
commonly used pot for making a variety of things.

It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.

The smallest pot in the set is the same diameter
(interchangeable lids) except it is about 2" inside height.

I have been searching local stores and on the internet--but
have not found anything similar in terms of the small
capacity, size (height/width), and construction.

Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
handle or has the wrong diameter and height.

Any recommendations where I can find what I want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
> use/cooking.

I have no idea if this helps you at all. Staub enameled pots:

http://www.staubusa.com/prod_cocottes/black.asp

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:

> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
> use/cooking.

(snip)
> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
>
> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 11, 10:37*am, Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:

It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
--------------

Is there a name of the manufacturer on the bottom of the pot? That is
where I would start to look.
If you have the name of the company who made them you can contact the
company to get another.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2010 1:37 PM, Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
> use/cooking.
>
> The one I want is approx 6.25" ID and 4.5" inside height.
>
> Holds about 9 cups liquid (measured it). This is my most
> commonly used pot for making a variety of things.
>
> It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
>
> The smallest pot in the set is the same diameter
> (interchangeable lids) except it is about 2" inside height.
>
> I have been searching local stores and on the internet--but
> have not found anything similar in terms of the small
> capacity, size (height/width), and construction.
>
> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
>
> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

Not cheap but Le Creuset has a 2 quart "French Oven" that's about those
dimensions. Chef's Catalog lists it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
> use/cooking.

Try: http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...led-Cast-Iron/

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:51:39 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
>> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
>> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
>> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
>> use/cooking.

>I have no idea if this helps you at all. Staub enameled pots:
>
>http://www.staubusa.com/prod_cocottes/black.asp
>
>nancy

Right idea--it is 7+" dia and only 4" tall.

It costs $100 at a number of online stores.

I am willing to be reasonable to get what I want, but that
price is way too high, IMO.

More reasonable is maybe $25-$45, I think. This isn't rocket
science and I don't need or want "artistic" or "unique"--I
need reasonably made and totally functional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:
>
>> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
>> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
>> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
>> use/cooking.

>(snip)
>> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
>> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
>> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
>>
>> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

>Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 13:56:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On May 11, 10:37*am, Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:
>

>It is part of a set that I got a long time ago in Munich.
>--------------
>
>Is there a name of the manufacturer on the bottom of the pot? That is
>where I would start to look.
>If you have the name of the company who made them you can contact the
>company to get another.

No mfr marks of any type. This was the equivalent to "Made
in China" in the 1970s (store brand/no-name set).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:23:17 -0600, "gloria.p"
> wrote:

>Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
>> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
>> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
>> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
>> use/cooking.

>Try: http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...led-Cast-Iron/
>
>gloria p

I took a look--I don't like the non-enameled surface at the
top of the pot.

I did take a look at the enamel-covered steel stock
pots--and that is exactly what I want (but in a 2.0 to 2.5
quart capacity). Smallest is a 6-qt from LC.

So, any suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:
> >
> >> All are round--enamel on cast iron. Lid of same material.
> >> Handles are two loops (one on each side). This is not
> >> brand-name or high-end stuff. It is for general-purpose
> >> use/cooking.

> >(snip)
> >> Smallest I have found is about 3.5 quarts--which is way too
> >> big. Generally, anything smaller than 3.5-qt has a long
> >> handle or has the wrong diameter and height.
> >>
> >> Any recommendations where I can find what I want?

> >Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

> Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
> capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
> wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
> ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.

<shrug> I tried. I don't think there's any rule about the depth and
shape of a casserole. Most I use are round and often have lids --
stoneware, though; not what you're looking for. LeCreuset makes a
2-quart French oven, enamel on cast iron. Expensive:
<http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...on/French-Oven
s/Round-French-Oven-2-qt/>

Looks like you're in the Twin Cities; try Kitchen Window, Cooks of
Crocus Hill, or Sur la Table.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:31:09 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Gerald Abrahamson > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:29:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >(snip)

>> >Sounds like a casserole; have you looked for that instead of "saucepan"?

>> Casseroles are usually relatively shallow--and get their
>> capacity from being long in length (rectangular) or having a
>> wide diameter (round). I was looking mostly at French/Dutch
>> ovens, but most of those are 4-qt or larger.

><shrug> I tried. I don't think there's any rule about the depth and
>shape of a casserole. Most I use are round and often have lids --
>stoneware, though; not what you're looking for. LeCreuset makes a
>2-quart French oven, enamel on cast iron. Expensive:
><http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Pro...on/French-Oven
>s/Round-French-Oven-2-qt/>
>
>Looks like you're in the Twin Cities; try Kitchen Window, Cooks of
>Crocus Hill, or Sur la Table.

Checked all three--no joy.

But I think I found something close in terms of size and/or
capacity. I went through many online catalogs item-by-item
before finding these.

Reston Lloyd has a set of three smaller stock pots--the
small one is 1.5 qt, the next is 2.5 qt, and I think the
third is 3.5 qt. Under $50 for all three, and it is enamel
on steel.

The problem with these three is they come with glass covers.
So I sent an e-mail to them to find out if matching
enamel-on-steel covers are available. I also asked for the
ID and internal height of the 2.5 qt so I can see if a
third-party cover might fit (even if it does not match).

So, now I wait....

And thanks for everyone's help in looking.

Enamel Woks DC[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-07-2008 08:36 PM
Enamel Searing Greg Esres General Cooking 6 16-05-2008 06:38 PM
Polishing enamel [email protected] Cooking Equipment 5 13-12-2007 03:10 AM
Restoring Enamel Pot KellyQM General Cooking 1 04-06-2006 12:02 AM
Replacement handle for GE 18 Quart Roasters [email protected] General Cooking 1 08-02-2006 03:05 PM