Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dishwasher maintenance?

Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
drop or two of regular dish liquid?

I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
world.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 10:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

Wash 'em by hand. I do!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 10:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If the door is stained,
scrub it by hand with a soft type cleaning product. Otherwise, the
dishwasher should be clean inside and odor free, just by using it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

Yes, it can be advisable - a lot depends on what your water is like. We
used to do this from time to time, and not only for the dishwasher, but
the coffee maker as well. If, as we did, you get a water softener
system for your house, then I don't believe it's necessary any longer.
I don't think the regular dishwashing gel or anything similar is what
you want here - you want something that will "descale" or otherwise
break up mineral deposits, which I think vinegar can do but I confess
I'm not sure. Just running it empty with its usual soap won't do
anything for you.

A plumber would be a good person to ask this question, IMHO.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 8:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

Read the manual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what?

I've never done that or even considered it. Why did you ask? Do you
have hard water problems?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:32:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
>> or what?
>>

>I've never done that or even considered it. Why did you ask? Do you
>have hard water problems?

Running a dishwasher empty a million times won't solve any hard water
problem... makes as much sense to run a dishwasher empty as running a
clothes washer empty. Both just wastes water and energy.... like
filling your bath with nice hot water and not getting in because you
got distracted so later you let all the ice cold water down the
drain... a total waste. How many pinheads run their bread toaster
empty?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
Tang, remember that stuff? This is what Heloise says:

Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
wipe out the inside.

> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.

I would stay away from trying dish liquid not meant for machines.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 1:59*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
> Tang, remember that stuff? *This is what Heloise says:
>
> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
> wipe out the inside.
>
> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> I would stay away from trying dish liquid not meant for machines.
>
> nancy

(chuckle) I thought of that Tang idea too! Supposed to help with
discoloring and deodorizing.

I know CLR (cleaning product) says you can run it through a cycle. I
think it removes lime build-up, if that's what your probalem is.

Another thing I've done on ocassion sto check the drains area to make
sure debris isn't in there. We once has some labels (husband ran jars
with them still on through the machine) stuck in there which made for
inefficient cleaning.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 11:36*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 11, 10:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> > Thanks

> What exactly are you trying to accomplish? *If the door is stained,
> scrub it by hand with a soft type cleaning product. *Otherwise, the
> dishwasher should be clean inside and odor free, just by using it.
>
> N.

Accomplish? Just to keep the thing working! Seems I read about
periodic maintenance being a good idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 12:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 11, 8:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> > Thanks

> Read the manual.

WHAT manual? The d w came with the house - think 'older' here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On May 11, 1:59 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
>> Tang, remember that stuff?

> (chuckle) I thought of that Tang idea too! Supposed to help with
> discoloring and deodorizing.
>
> I know CLR (cleaning product) says you can run it through a cycle. I
> think it removes lime build-up, if that's what your probalem is.

That seems like a good idea.

> Another thing I've done on ocassion sto check the drains area to make
> sure debris isn't in there. We once has some labels (husband ran jars
> with them still on through the machine) stuck in there which made for
> inefficient cleaning.

Guilty as charged. I checked my manual and it doesn't say anything
about cleaning the drain part of the machine, and it certainly doesn't
look accessible.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 1:32*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what?

> I've never done that or even considered it. *Why did you ask? *Do you
> have hard water problems?

Just wondering. Just want to keep it running smoothly. I'm a
fanatic about my car maint. too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 1:59*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
> Tang, remember that stuff? *This is what Heloise says:
>
> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
> wipe out the inside.
>
> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> I would stay away from trying dish liquid not meant for machines.
>
> nancy

Thanks - this is the kind of info I wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 12:59*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
> Tang, remember that stuff? *This is what Heloise says:
>
> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
> wipe out the inside.
>
> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> I would stay away from trying dish liquid not meant for machines.
>
> nancy

Dear Erma died - what - 20 years ago? Her "solution" is totally out
of date with today's dishwashers.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 12:59*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
> Tang, remember that stuff? *This is what Heloise says:
>
> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
> wipe out the inside.
>
> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> > world.

> I would stay away from trying dish liquid not meant for machines.
>
> nancy

Oops, my bad, I meant Heloise, not Erma. ;-||

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 11, 12:59 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
>> Tang, remember that stuff? This is what Heloise says:
>>
>> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time.
>> Remove the utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food
>> bits and then wipe down. Grab a handful of paper towels and
>> carefully press them onto the base of the washer to pick up any
>> shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2 cups of vinegar to the
>> bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash. Stop the
>> machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
>> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle.
>> When done, wipe out the inside.

> Oops, my bad, I meant Heloise, not Erma. ;-||

Heh. Well, she's married to a plumber, so I think she might have
some clue.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2010 5:06 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

Regular dish washing cycles should work fine. I am of the opinion that
flushing the hot caustic dishwasher soap down the drain after the wash
cycle helps keep your pipes cleaner too, although that's unverified.
However, if you have one of those Kenmore washers with the touch panel
and digital displays, the best way to keep those working is to not to
run it at all. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 3:38*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > On May 11, 1:59 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >> They used to recommend running the dishwasher with some
> >> Tang, remember that stuff?

> > (chuckle) I thought of that Tang idea too! Supposed to help with
> > discoloring and deodorizing.

> > I know CLR (cleaning product) says you can run it through a cycle. I
> > think it removes lime build-up, if that's what your probalem is.

> That seems like a good idea.
>
> > Another thing I've done on ocassion sto check the drains area to make
> > sure debris isn't in there. We once has some labels (husband ran jars
> > with them still on through the machine) stuck in there which made for
> > inefficient cleaning.

> Guilty as charged. *I checked my manual and it doesn't say anything
> about cleaning the drain part of the machine, and it certainly doesn't
> look accessible. *
>
> nancy

My drain is in the very bottom. I had to kind of reach under the
heating coil. (Obviously do this after it's cooled down!)

You may be able to reach it?

FWIW,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

What does its instruction manual recommend?
There's a product out for cleaning one ‹ can't think of the name of it,
though. I recently read something that said to periodically (once a
month?) set a container of vinegar (one or two cups, maybe?) upright on
the top rack and run a cycle. I suppose that that method would dilute
the vinegar throughout the load, eh?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

I would not use regular dish soap in it. Ever. I'd use vinegar or
citric acid or lemon juice or a jar of Tang if I wanted to clean it.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On May 11, 12:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> > Read the manual.

> WHAT manual? The d w came with the house - think 'older' here.

Contact the manufacturer and ask their recommendation. Or talk to
someone at an appliance repair store.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-24-2010 with food story and pictures
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:37:27 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On May 11, 12:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> On May 11, 8:06*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>>
>> > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
>> > or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
>> > drop or two of regular dish liquid?

>> > I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
>> > world.

>> > Thanks

>> Read the manual.

>WHAT manual? The d w came with the house - think 'older' here.

If you go to the manufacturer's web site they will very likely have
manuals for all their machines that you can download and print, for
free! You can also phone their Customer Service and they will answer
your questions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:38:33 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On May 11, 1:32*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> > > or what?

> > I've never done that or even considered it. *Why did you ask? *Do you
> > have hard water problems?

> Just wondering. Just want to keep it running smoothly. I'm a
> fanatic about my car maint. too.

Is this your first dishwasher?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2010 3:36 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On May 11, 11:36 am, > wrote:
>> On May 11, 10:06 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
>>> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
>>> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

>>> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
>>> world.

>>> Thanks

>> What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If the door is stained,
>> scrub it by hand with a soft type cleaning product. Otherwise, the
>> dishwasher should be clean inside and odor free, just by using it.
>>
>> N.

> Accomplish? Just to keep the thing working! Seems I read about
> periodic maintenance being a good idea.

Find out the brand and model, go to the manufacturer's web site and
download the manual if there is one, do what it says.

Now and then running a "Diswasher Magic" (brand name) through it won't
hurt. It will also take limescale off of your glassware and faucet
aerators and whatnot if you put them in the dishwasher at the same
time--just make sure you secure the aerators so that no fiddly little
bits end up down the drain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Run it empty of dishes, use a small jar of Tang (yes, Tang the imitation
orange drink) in the soap dispensers. The ascorbic acid in the Tang will
shine up the inside of the dishwasher without harming it - it'll look like
new. And it'll smell faintly of oranges until it's used again, not a bad
side effect.

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>
> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
> world.
>
> Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2010 2:37 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On May 11, 12:38 pm, Chemo the > wrote:
>> On May 11, 8:06 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
>>> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
>>> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

>>> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
>>> world.

>>> Thanks

>> Read the manual.

> WHAT manual? The d w came with the house - think 'older' here.

You can do a Google for the dishwasher with the model number and name
and find a manual most likely. I did that for an older one at one time
and printed out a .pdf manual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

The lo-cal news recently had a piece on appliance maintenance. They
recommended that, especially if you use liquid detergents.

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On May 11, 10:06 am, Kalmia > wrote:
>> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
>> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
>> drop or two of regular dish liquid?
>>
>> I don't want any Lucy-Ethel scene, tho, with suds spewing into the
>> world.
>>
>> Thanks

> Wash 'em by hand. I do!
>
> John Kuthe...

How does that provide dishwasher maintenance?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

Do NOT put regular dish washing liquid in it.
I've heard of using a little citric acid to clean up the space, and I
know appliance stores sell it. But I've also read that a cheap
alternative to this is to toss in a pack of lemonade kool-ade to an
empty machine as it contains it also.
Do you have any filter areas in the machine that need to be occasionally
cleaned out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Accomplish? Just to keep the thing working! Seems I read about
> periodic maintenance being a good idea.

I understand that one of the worst things you can do to a dishwasher is
to NOT use it routinely. Something about the gaskets and such drying out
which would promote leaks and other problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time. Remove the
>> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then wipe
>> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto the base
>> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk. Add 2
>> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or Low Wash.
>> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom and work.
>> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When done,
>> wipe out the inside.
>>

> Dear Erma died - what - 20 years ago? Her "solution" is totally out
> of date with today's dishwashers.
>
> N.

I wonder what sitting vinegar would do to the stainless steel interior
of my machine? Doesn't sound advisable to me either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2010 6:22 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>> Yes, your dishwasher does need to be cleaned from time to time.
>>> Remove the
>>> utensil holders and racks. Check them for stuck-on food bits and then
>>> wipe
>>> down. Grab a handful of paper towels and carefully press them onto
>>> the base
>>> of the washer to pick up any shards, bones, and metal or food gunk.
>>> Add 2
>>> cups of vinegar to the bottom and turn the machine on to Energy or
>>> Low Wash.
>>> Stop the machine in mid-wash, so the vinegar can set on the bottom
>>> and work.
>>> Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish cycle. When
>>> done,
>>> wipe out the inside.
>>>

>> Dear Erma died - what - 20 years ago? Her "solution" is totally out
>> of date with today's dishwashers.
>>
>> N.

> I wonder what sitting vinegar would do to the stainless steel interior
> of my machine? Doesn't sound advisable to me either.

If it does anything other than demineralize it then it's very
poor-quality stainless.

Vinegar does two things that I can think of off the top of my head--it
removes lime scale and it disinfects well enough to be used for some
types of medical equipment. Both are, as Martha Stewart would say "a
good thing".

The major ingredient in Dishwasher Magic is citric acid, which does
pretty much the same thing as vinegar, including effects on stainless steel.

The main change from the above recommendation for a "modern" dishwasher"
is to remove and clean the filters and strainers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
>Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Accomplish? Just to keep the thing working! Seems I read about
>> periodic maintenance being a good idea.
>>

>I understand that one of the worst things you can do to a dishwasher is
>to NOT use it routinely. Something about the gaskets and such drying out
>which would promote leaks and other problems.

I think that was your OB-GYN text. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

My mother-in-law used to run hers with a cup of bleach occasionally.

I think if the dishes end up clean at the end of each cycle, why isn't
the inside of the dishwasher clean, too?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On May 11, 3:38 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Guilty as charged. I checked my manual and it doesn't say anything
>> about cleaning the drain part of the machine, and it certainly
>> doesn't look accessible.

> My drain is in the very bottom. I had to kind of reach under the
> heating coil. (Obviously do this after it's cooled down!)

Heh.

> You may be able to reach it?

I'm going to check it out with a flashlight, it does look like there
might be debris in there, but I can't see for sure. I'll get what
I can. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:
>Kalmia wrote:
>> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, with a bit of vinegar
>> or what? What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
>> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

>My mother-in-law used to run hers with a cup of bleach occasionally.

Bleach will destroy the plastic coating on the dish baskets, it will
also destroy any plastic/rubber parts in the mechanism, as well as the
interior lining if it's plastic, and the door gasket.

>I think if the dishes end up clean at the end of each cycle, why isn't
>the inside of the dishwasher clean, too?

Finally someone with logic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 12:38*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> "gloria.p" wrote:
> >Kalmia wrote:
> >> Is it advisable to run it empty, on occasion, *with *a bit of vinegar
> >> or what? *What about with a small amount of dishwasher gel or even a
> >> drop or two of regular dish liquid?

> >My mother-in-law used to run hers with a cup of bleach occasionally.

> Bleach will destroy the plastic coating on the dish baskets, it will
> also destroy any plastic/rubber parts in the mechanism, as well as the
> interior lining if it's plastic, and the door gasket.
>
> >I think if the dishes end up clean at the end of each cycle, why isn't
> >the inside of the dishwasher clean, too?

> Finally someone with logic.

Hey! I said that first thing in this thread, and now you're giving
someone else the credit. Damn! >;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "gloria.p" wrote:
>>
>> >My mother-in-law used to run hers with a cup of bleach occasionally.

>> Bleach will destroy the plastic coating on the dish baskets, it will
>> also destroy any plastic/rubber parts in the mechanism, as well as the
>> interior lining if it's plastic, and the door gasket.
>>
>> >I think if the dishes end up clean at the end of each cycle, why isn't
>> >the inside of the dishwasher clean, too?

>> Finally someone with logic.

>Hey! I said that first thing in this thread, and now you're giving
>someone else the credit. Damn! >;-)
>
>N.

Sorry. I missed your post. Ooo, ooo, I know, you and Gloria can
share me!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:39:26 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>>> Bleach will destroy the plastic coating on the dish baskets, it will
>>> also destroy any plastic/rubber parts in the mechanism, as well as the
>>> interior lining if it's plastic, and the door gasket.

>There's bleach in most dishwasher detergents, except the ECO stuff.
>Not enough to damage the machine, but enough to sterilize the dishes.

STUpid LIAR!

Snowblower maintenance reminder Kalmia General Cooking 11 05-05-2011 04:41 AM
FAQ maintenance Ronin[_3_] Wine 4 06-07-2008 06:30 AM
Grill maintenance Nonnymus[_6_] Barbecue 0 24-02-2007 10:42 PM
Free Computer Maintenance. jassica General Cooking 0 22-02-2007 04:41 AM
All Clad maintenance Mike General Cooking 18 14-04-2004 11:03 PM