Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default President's Cancer Panel recommends organic food

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/op...06kristof.html

"Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits,
self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President's Cancer
Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to
organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in
glass containers rather than plastic."

Interesting, especially the part about organic food.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 May 2010 00:41:40 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/op...06kristof.html
>
>"Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits,
>self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President's Cancer
>Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to
>organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in
>glass containers rather than plastic."
>
>Interesting, especially the part about organic food.

Pesticides reduces the plant's need to produce many cancer fighting
agents, so they generally don't until if/when they are attacked by
pests.

Tried before to find an online cite for this but failed. I'm probably
using the wrong search terms... I know some other lists where there
are ppl who might be able to help with the latter, I'll give them a
try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/op...06kristof.html
>
> "Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits,
> self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President's Cancer
> Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to
> organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in
> glass containers rather than plastic."
>
> Interesting, especially the part about organic food.
>
> Bob

More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
dimwits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
> that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
> dimwits.

Not at all.
Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
"purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
from tap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2010 12:08 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Pete C. wrote:
>
>> More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
>> that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
>> dimwits.

> Not at all.
> Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
> "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
> from tap.

There is a bottled water plant not far from here. In order to comply
with labeling there is a constant stream of tanker trucks that make a 40
mile round trip to a former municipal reservoir that was taken out of
service because it is severely polluted. How good of a job do they do
filtering the water? The only customer appears to be walmart because
there is a huge lot filled with walmart trailers and the plant has a
yard tractor to bring the trailers to their dock, load and return to the
yard to be picked up.

We have excellent municipal water in this area but if you go to any
store you will see lots of folks loading big shrink wrapped cases of
bottled water into their carts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>
> > More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
> > that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
> > dimwits.

> Not at all.
> Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
> "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
> from tap.

*All* commercial bottled water is purer than tap water. There is no
bottled water that has toxic Chlorine and fluoride added to it.

Bottled "drinking" water such as the Aquafina and Dasani brands are
Reverse Osmosis filtered and substantially purer than tap water.

Bottled "Spring" waters will have more trace minerals and whatnot in
them based on their source spring, but again they do not have toxic
additives like Chlorine and Fluoride added to them.

There are *no* bottled waters that are simply tap water, as bottled tap
water would have a shelf life measured in days, not years like the pure
bottled waters have.

The only truth in anything that the anti bottled water fad dimwits say
is that federal standards for bottled water are not stringent. This in
no way means that the industry standards for bottled waters are not
stringent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> On 5/7/2010 12:08 PM, Goomba wrote:
> > Pete C. wrote:
> >
> >> More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
> >> that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
> >> dimwits.

> > Not at all.
> > Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
> > "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
> > from tap.

> There is a bottled water plant not far from here. In order to comply
> with labeling there is a constant stream of tanker trucks that make a 40
> mile round trip to a former municipal reservoir that was taken out of
> service because it is severely polluted. How good of a job do they do
> filtering the water? The only customer appears to be walmart because
> there is a huge lot filled with walmart trailers and the plant has a
> yard tractor to bring the trailers to their dock, load and return to the
> yard to be picked up.
>
> We have excellent municipal water in this area but if you go to any
> store you will see lots of folks loading big shrink wrapped cases of
> bottled water into their carts.

All bottled water plants that I'm aware of other than spring water
sourced ones use Reverse Osmosis filtering, which puts them well ahead
of any municipal water system in terms of filtering efficacy.

I have been to a Coca Cola (Dasani) bottling plant and have seen their
water filtration system, and it far exceeds any municipal water system's
filtration system. And yes, their water source is the municipal system,
but the municipal system's water does not meet standards for water to be
bottled or used in soft drink production to be bottled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
> that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
> dimwits.

Tap water should have enough chlorine to kill any bacteria. The
chlorine is itself a problem. Point of use filters remove the chlorine.
A good filter will also remove whatever other pollutants remain after
the processing. Some tap water processing is good and some is bad and
it's hard to tell the different without extensive testing.

Whether bottled water is filtered as well as tap water depends on the
brand and also is hard to tell without extensive testing.

Depending on the quality of the water filter it can be easy to exceed
the expected quality of bottled water. Watch Iron Chef Japan and you'll
see they have a water filter flowing cold water the entire time the
contest is running. They use a top quality filter. It looks like a
Multipure to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This report is hardly surprising. As I've discussed here before,
by some estimates about 40% of human death worldwide is caused by
man-made contaminants.

The question is whether there's any chance of doing anything about it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:36:34 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
>>
>> Pete C. wrote:
>>
>>> More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
>>> that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
>>> dimwits.

>> Not at all.
>> Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
>> "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
>> from tap.

> *All* commercial bottled water is purer than tap water. There is no
> bottled water that has toxic Chlorine and fluoride added to it.
>
> Bottled "drinking" water such as the Aquafina and Dasani brands are
> Reverse Osmosis filtered and substantially purer than tap water.
>
> Bottled "Spring" waters will have more trace minerals and whatnot in
> them based on their source spring, but again they do not have toxic
> additives like Chlorine and Fluoride added to them.
>
> There are *no* bottled waters that are simply tap water, as bottled tap
> water would have a shelf life measured in days, not years like the pure
> bottled waters have.
>
> The only truth in anything that the anti bottled water fad dimwits say
> is that federal standards for bottled water are not stringent. This in
> no way means that the industry standards for bottled waters are not
> stringent.

what most of the 'dimwits' object to is the billions of plastic bottles
produced and the absurdity of trucking 'filtered' tap water from one place
to another, *not* the quality of the water.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 2:36*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
> > Pete C. wrote:

> > > More interesting was the recommendation to filter tap water, something
> > > that points out the bogus arguments of the anti-bottled water fad
> > > dimwits.

> > Not at all.
> > Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
> > "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
> > from tap.

> *All* commercial bottled water is purer than tap water. There is no
> bottled water that has toxic Chlorine and fluoride added to it.

No, dimwit. Tap water has chlorine to kill the bacteria from the
source, and to keep it clean as it traverses through water mains.
My drinking water comes from the Detroit River, and I assure
you I am grateful for the chlorine in it.

Since I'm not a single-celled organism, I'm not worried about the
chlorine.

As for the fluoride, I can see why you don't want to sap and impurify
your precious bodily fluids.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 May 2010 06:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On May 7, 2:36*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Not at all.
>>> Some people have this mistaken idea that bottled water is somehow
>>> "purer" or better. It may be, it may not be, or it may be no different
>>> from tap.

>> *All* commercial bottled water is purer than tap water. There is no
>> bottled water that has toxic Chlorine and fluoride added to it.

> No, dimwit. Tap water has chlorine to kill the bacteria from the
> source, and to keep it clean as it traverses through water mains.
> My drinking water comes from the Detroit River, and I assure
> you I am grateful for the chlorine in it.
>
> Since I'm not a single-celled organism, I'm not worried about the
> chlorine.
>
> As for the fluoride, I can see why you don't want to sap and impurify
> your precious bodily fluids.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

ice cream, mandrake, children's ice cream.

your pal,
jack
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 06:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> *All* commercial bottled water is purer than tap water. There is no
> >> bottled water that has toxic Chlorine and fluoride added to it.

> > No, dimwit. Tap water has chlorine to kill the bacteria from the
> > source, and to keep it clean as it traverses through water mains.
> > My drinking water comes from the Detroit River, and I assure
> > you I am grateful for the chlorine in it.
> >
> > Since I'm not a single-celled organism, I'm not worried about the
> > chlorine.
> >
> > As for the fluoride, I can see why you don't want to sap and impurify
> > your precious bodily fluids.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

Unlike you apparently, I try to avoid drinking toxic chemicals like
chlorine and fluoride every day. It's rather pathetic how these anti
bottled water dimwits whine about possible chemicals leaching from
plastic bottles but are seemingly oblivious to the toxic chemicals
deliberately put into tap water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 1:21*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:

> > > No, dimwit. *Tap water has chlorine to kill the bacteria from the
> > > source, and to keep it clean as it traverses through water mains.
> > > My drinking water comes from the Detroit River, and I assure
> > > you I am grateful for the chlorine in it.

> > > Since I'm not a single-celled organism, I'm not worried about the
> > > chlorine.

> > > As for the fluoride, I can see why you don't want to sap and impurify
> > > your precious bodily fluids.

> > > Cindy Hamilton

> Unlike you apparently, I try to avoid drinking toxic chemicals like
> chlorine and fluoride every day. It's rather pathetic how these anti
> bottled water dimwits whine about possible chemicals leaching from
> plastic bottles but are seemingly oblivious to the toxic chemicals
> deliberately put into tap water.

When I had a well, it suffered from sulfur-reducing bacteria. Every
couple of months, I'd pour a gallon of bleach right down the well.
Afterwards, I'd run the water out the garden hose until I couldn't
smell bleach anymore. But I'm sure there was still some in there.

Dude, you're going to die eventually. Maybe you should try to
enjoy life, instead of worrying whether a little chlorine is going
to damage a cell here or there.

Do you drink alcohol? It's quite a poison, too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote

Hey Cindy, didnt know who started this thread but there one part totally
wrong.

There are bottled waters with flouride added. USA companies as well. Folks
use them for babies and children when living off well water or in lands
(like Sasebo Japan) where the tap water isnt flouridated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 18:36:47 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 7 May 2010 00:41:40 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/op...06kristof.html
>>
>>"Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits,
>>self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President's Cancer
>>Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to
>>organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in
>>glass containers rather than plastic."
>>
>>Interesting, especially the part about organic food.

>Pesticides reduces the plant's need to produce many cancer fighting
>agents, so they generally don't until if/when they are attacked by
>pests.
>
>Tried before to find an online cite for this but failed. I'm probably
>using the wrong search terms... I know some other lists where there
>are ppl who might be able to help with the latter, I'll give them a
>try.

Found a few relevent links (thanks to the g/f), for those who might be
interested:

http://members.ift.org/NR/rdonlyres/...rganicFood.pdf

http://www.naturalantioxidants.org/Organic_foods.html

http://www.naturalantioxidants.org/Organic_foods.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 6:40*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote

> Hey Cindy, didnt know who started this thread but there one part totally
> wrong.

Yeah, you've really mucked the attributions, but it can be easy to do.

It was Pete C who said that.

Considering that the positive effects of fluoride in the water were
discovered
in areas where the water naturally is high in it, the anti-
fluoridation campaign
seems... unnatural.

Cindy Hamilton