Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okra

I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
texture of cooked okra is...strange.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Alton Brown is a douchebag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.
Boiled okra is not something most people would want. It does really make
a gumbo though.
Coated in corn meal and deep fried in Lard is good stuff.
In soups as gumbo it is good and contributes much flavor.
I don't care for the stuff in the frozen freezer section.
Fresh and at peak, not over ripe and tough is as always best.imo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-05 21:19:13 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:

> On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>
>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
>> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
>> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

> Alton Brown is a douchebag.

Always with the snappy retort!
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 11:33*pm, gtr > wrote:
> On 2010-05-05 21:19:13 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:
>
> > On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> >> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

> >> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> >> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> >> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

> > Alton Brown is a douchebag.

> Always with the snappy retort!

Always sitting around waiting for me to say something! Dipshit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me want
> to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking it
isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
serving.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lil wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 00:27:07 -0400:

> gloria.p wrote:
>>
>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>
>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't
>> make me want to try it again. I've had it pickled which
>> wasn't bad, but the texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>>
>> gloria p

> Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.
> Boiled okra is not something most people would want. It does
> really makea gumbo though.
> Coated in corn meal and deep fried in Lard is good stuff.
> In soups as gumbo it is good and contributes much flavor.
> I don't care for the stuff in the frozen freezer section.
> Fresh and at peak, not over ripe and tough is as always
> best.imo

I like okra fried crisp Indian style, either alone or in a raita. Store
bought hot pickled okra is good too (Texas Hots).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me want
> to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

It's slippery and slimey. It's okay to say it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lil abner" > wrote in message
> gloria.p wrote:
>>
>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>
>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
>> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
>> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>>
>> gloria p

> Okra is not going to taste like corn, or beans etc. It's Okra.

snip

To me, okra does have a corn like taste, most definitely. Sauteed that is.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>
>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
>> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
>> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>>
>> gloria p

> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking it
> isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
> serving.
>
> --
> regards, piedmont (michael)
> The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
> (mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Another way to cook is the add to stewed tomato that is common here in the
Carolinas. As well as fried too. I think only a true lover of okr would eat
it alone other than fried. The African slaves brought okra over with them so
any lover of gumbo pays tribute to them each time they make a pot.

http://www.deltablues.net/gumbo.html

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "piedmont" > wrote:
>
>> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
>> it
>> isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
>> serving.

> That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
> with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
> a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
> it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
> well.
>
> Regards,

I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-05 21:39:41 -0700, projectile vomit chick said:

> On May 5, 11:33*pm, gtr > wrote:

>>> Alton Brown is a douchebag.

>> Always with the snappy retort!

> Always sitting around waiting for me to say something! Dipshit.

"Dipshit"--that's what I was waiting for! You're a riot. Got any other
new ones I can try on my friends?
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| "James Silverton" > wrote:
|
| > I like okra fried crisp Indian style, either alone or in a raita. Store
| > bought hot pickled okra is good too (Texas Hots).
|
| Any guidelines/recipes? I've never had Indian style okra, only Saudi
| and Southern. :-) We're growing it for the first time this year, so
| I'm interested in lots of different preparations. Usually we only use
| it in gumbo and fried. I hear it is good stir fried, so I'll probably
| add it to my various skillet/hash dishes over the summer.

The second recipe in this collection is the one I usually use,
and the interesting discussions about frying okra and avoiding
the sliminess could be useful. All of these should be very
good dishes:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/586773

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 10:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

Just reading the word makes me gag. But OTOH, I LOVE beets (take
that, Barb! heh heh heh).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2010 11:44 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:34:34 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ranée at Arabian > wrote in message
>>> In >,

>>> That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
>>> with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
>>> a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
>>> it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>> I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
>> soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
>> is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
>> the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

Try the purple okra sometime Susan, very pretty. The flowers are yellow
just like other okra but with a purple/burgundy cusp and the plant is
purple too. The fruit is purple but cooks up green. Makes a startling
contrast with the green in most gardens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:34:34 -0400, "piedmont" >
wrote:

>"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "piedmont" > wrote:
>>
>>> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
>>> it
>>> isn't bad, use equal amounts of veggys. A little salt N pepper before
>>> serving.

>> That sounds good, I was thinking we could use it that way as we do
>> with the thin eggplant as well. My mother always got small okra dry on
>> a string from her family in Saudi Arabia and made a tomato based stew of
>> it. We'd like to pickle some, freeze some and dry some this year as
>> well.
>>
>> Regards,

>I have to get my temperature probe out and check the ground temperature, as
>soon as it hits 70F I can plant my okra this year! Beautiful flowers as it
>is in the hibiscus family. I'm thinking of planting 6 in a tight circle in
>the front yard for show as well as consumption. I grow Clemson spineless.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

piedmont wrote:
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>
>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
>> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
>> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>>
>> gloria p

> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
> it isn't bad,

That's hardly an enthusiastic endorsement, is it?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-06, Lew Hodgett > wrote:

> A staple in gumbos and other coon ass dishes.
>
> Also popular in other Southern dishes.
>
> Lew

Define "coon ass".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> piedmont wrote:
>> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>>>
>>> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
>>> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
>>> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
>> it isn't bad,

"It isn't bad"? I hope I never reach the point where I will eat food that
"isn't bad"!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-06 11:04:40 -0700, notbob said:

> On 2010-05-06, Lew Hodgett > wrote:
>
>> A staple in gumbos and other coon ass dishes.
>>
>> Also popular in other Southern dishes.
>>
>> Lew

> Define "coon ass".

This might help:

http://sn.im/w14bu

--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-06, gtr > wrote:

> This might help:

You his mouthpiece?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 11:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

The Received Wisdom of r.f.c seems to be that okra is best
fried.

Goodness gracious! If a vegetable has to be fried to be palatable,
is it really worth eating? So many other vegetables are so much
more versatile.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

Why do you have to rip open this wound again,
when it's hardly had time to heal? This is
the world's most controversial vegetable,
guaranteeed to provoke extremists on both sides.
It would be easier to convert a Jew into a
Muslim than to change someone's mind about okra.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 11:53*am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> piedmont wrote:
> > "gloria.p" > wrote in message

> >> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.

> >> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> >> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> >> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

> >> gloria p

> > Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
> > it isn't bad,

> That's hardly an enthusiastic endorsement, is it?
>
> gloria p

It's like eating tubes of snot. How's that? LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On May 5, 11:35 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

The Received Wisdom of r.f.c seems to be that okra is best
fried.

Goodness gracious! If a vegetable has to be fried to be palatable,
is it really worth eating? So many other vegetables are so much
more versatile.

Cindy Hamilton

Okra is one of those staples of extremely poor folks of times gone by, it is
prolific and nutrious. Used to thicken soups and stews, or gumbo if you
like. Also with tomatoes which turns into stewed tomato, as well as all by
themselves. Like alot of foods it's what you grew up with and what you could
afford. Okra grows all summer and is constantly blooming and producing, pods
so a little in a garden would feed alot of family cheaply.

Here is a curried okra recipe I like,

Curried Okra
A tasty recipe for a lightly Curried Okra

This is a quick and easy method to make a lightly curried Okra side dish.

a.. 1 lb young Okra pods
b.. 2 Onions
c.. 3 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably olive but sunflower or other
will do.)
d.. 1/2 tsp dried hot red chilie
e.. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp mild curry powder (depending on how mild you
want the curry to be)
f.. 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
g.. salt and pepper for seasoning, to taste
Top and tail the Okra pods, ie cut off the ends.
Cut the pods into approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds.
Peel and slice the onions
Place the sliced Okra into a glass or stainless steel bowl and
sprinkle the salt liberally over the pods.

Cover the pods with the iced water, making sure that all the slices
are under water.
Place the bowl containing the Okra and water in a refrigerator and
leave for 2 or more hours.

Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and drain off the salt water.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until it begins to shimmer.
Add the Okra and fry until lightly brown. (Approximately 10 minutes)
You will need to turn the Okra to prevent sticking

Add the remaining ingredients and fry for a further 3 minutes, until
the onions are soft.

Serve hot as a vegetable side dish
Also great cold, between to slices of fresh bread for a tasty
sandwich.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 11:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me
> want to try it again. *I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.
>
> gloria p

A resto near me ALWAYS offers batter fried okra as a side.

I keep a small bag of the frozen stuff on hand only for gumbo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love okra!

Pickled, fried, in fritters, simmered with tomatoes, in gumbo and
soup.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote:

> Define "coon ass".

That's been done.

Get up off your dead and dying and check it out.

Lew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 May 2010 14:29:15 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>> piedmont wrote:

>>> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato, after cooking
>>> it isn't bad,

>"It isn't bad"? I hope I never reach the point where I will eat food that
>"isn't bad"!
>
>Felice

Okra is good in tomato vegetable soup but okra is excellent in
Manhattan clam chowder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-06, Lew Hodgett > wrote:

> Get up off your dead and dying and check it out.

Check out your definition? Where would I find that?

Nevermind. I won't see your reply.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

> I just watched Alton Brown's episode on okra.
>
> It's a pretty plant/flower but watching what he cooked didn't make me want
> to try it again. I've had it pickled which wasn't bad, but the
> texture of cooked okra is...strange.

It's worthwhile googling some of the things modom used to write about okra:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...tho r%3Amodom

I'm a bit surprised that this thread didn't draw him out of the woodwork!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-06 12:24:23 -0700, notbob said:

> On 2010-05-06, gtr > wrote:
>
>> This might help:

> You his mouthpiece?
>
> nb

Pillory, potato, gun-magazine.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-06 12:59:40 -0700, Nancy2 said:

> It's like eating tubes of snot. How's that?

There's more than one way to cook chicken, why not okra?
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Thu, 6 May 2010 12:59:40 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 6, 11:53 am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>> piedmont wrote:

> >> Saute fresh okra with onion, yellow squash, fresh tomato,
> >> after cooking it isn't bad,

>> That's hardly an enthusiastic endorsement, is it?
>>
>> gloria p

> It's like eating tubes of snot. How's that? LOL.

I sometimes wonder how people know what shit, snot etc. taste and feel
like in the mouth.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2010 9:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote on Thu, 6 May 2010 12:59:40 -0700 (PDT):

>>> That's hardly an enthusiastic endorsement, is it?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> It's like eating tubes of snot. How's that? LOL.

> I sometimes wonder how people know what shit, snot etc. taste and feel
> like in the mouth.

Maybe they ate it when they were small children, kids will eat anything,
just like dogs. Hmm! That poop looks tasty, believe I will try it. You
ain't lived until you've had to dig poop out of a toddlers mouth. Yuck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 11:07*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 5/7/2010 9:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>

> > Nancy2 *wrote *on Thu, 6 May 2010 12:59:40 -0700 (PDT):

> >> It's like eating tubes of snot. How's that? LOL.

> > I sometimes wonder how people know what shit, snot etc. taste and feel
> > like in the mouth.

> Maybe they ate it when they were small children, kids will eat anything,
> just like dogs. Hmm! That poop looks tasty, believe I will try it. You
> ain't lived until you've had to dig poop out of a toddlers mouth. Yuck!

Note to self: thank husband for getting vasectomy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-06, piedmont > wrote:

> The Received Wisdom of r.f.c seems to be that okra is best
> fried.
>
> Goodness gracious! If a vegetable has to be fried to be palatable,
> is it really worth eating? So many other vegetables are so much
> more versatile.

Not at all. After reading this thread, I grabbed a never-tried-before
jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra while at the market. Jes had a
couple ...a few... OK, half the damn jar!!

I'm hooked.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-08 13:10:00 -0700, notbob said:

> Not at all. After reading this thread, I grabbed a never-tried-before
> jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra while at the market. Jes had a
> couple ...a few... OK, half the damn jar!!

The replication of which was my rationale for the "pickled okra" thread...
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-05-06, piedmont > wrote:
>
>> The Received Wisdom of r.f.c seems to be that okra is best
>> fried.
>>
>> Goodness gracious! If a vegetable has to be fried to be palatable,
>> is it really worth eating? So many other vegetables are so much
>> more versatile.

> Not at all. After reading this thread, I grabbed a never-tried-before
> jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra while at the market. Jes had a
> couple ...a few... OK, half the damn jar!!
>
> I'm hooked.
>
> nb

Those pickled okras are wonderful with fried catfish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
> On 2010-05-06, piedmont > wrote:
>> The Received Wisdom of r.f.c seems to be that okra is best
>> fried.
>>
>> Goodness gracious! If a vegetable has to be fried to be palatable,
>> is it really worth eating? So many other vegetables are so much
>> more versatile.

That's only one method and it's the easiest way to "handle" that vegetable
so that everyone at the table enjoys it. Clan Ranger also enjoys okra
sautéed but overwhelmingly prefers it with cornmeal and deep-fried.

> Not at all. After reading this thread, I grabbed a never-tried-before
> jar of Talk O' Texas pickled okra while at the market. Jes had a
> couple ...a few... OK, half the damn jar!!
>
> I'm hooked.

Try the "hot" style next time; it won't disappoint either.

The Ranger