Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strawberries today

Hello All!

Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples
than some of them :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 12:42*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples
> than some of them :-)

Strawberries on steroids, eh? Spread the flavor of a strawberry
throughout even more strawberry volume? Ugh!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples
> than some of them :-)

But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and juicy?
Those huge ones aren't always.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:58:26 -0600:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
>> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen
>> smaller apples than some of them :-)
>>

> But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and
> juicy? Those huge ones aren't always.

No, I guess they are not red all the way thro. I will let them sit in
the fridge after sprinkling some sugar. It is very difficult to find
cartons of completely ripe strawberries that are not beginning to rot,
especially the hidden ones.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:58:26 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:

>> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
>> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples
>> than some of them :-)

>But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and juicy?
>Those huge ones aren't always.
>
>gloria p

I am getting some red ripe ones today...since I am here in CA again.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

heyjoe wrote on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:08:34 -0500:

>> No, I guess they are not red all the way thro. I will let
>> them sit in the fridge after sprinkling some sugar. It is
>> very difficult to find cartons of completely ripe
>> strawberries that are not beginning to rot, especially the
>> hidden ones.

> So . . . you can waste out part of the purchase because
> they're not ripe - or you can waste out part of the purchase
> because they're overripe. Decisions, decisions?

> I know which I choose and it's not white/green strawberries.

There's no green on the big strawberries and they are whitish inside but
they are already starting to taste very good after being sliced and
standing sprinkled with sugar for an hour or two. I rather like the
slightly acid taste combined with quite strong strawberry flavor.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive strawberries
> from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples than some of
> them :-)
>

> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

These have been around for years. Local gourmet shops used to sell these
chocolate-dipped in the 60's and 70's.

Good for novelty, not taste.
Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive strawberries
>> from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller apples than some of
>> them :-)
>>

> But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and juicy?
> Those huge ones aren't always.
>
> gloria p

So true! I was invited to go strawberry picking at Dempsey's Farm.

http://dempseyfarmsupick.com/

Unfortunately I can't eat strawberries due to the tiny seeds unless I peel
them first, and that's a PITA! But at least at this farm they aren't
pre-packed. You can judge the ripeness for yourself and pick the ones you
want. That's nice

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron wrote:

> True, for commercial grocery store strawberries.

I've gotten some really tasty berries from the grocery stores
lately. Of course it's hit or miss. And not as good as fresh-
from-the-fields berries in some warm sunny state.

> We don't buy
> strawberries at the grocery stores anymore. We've found a local
> roadside stand that sits on a few acres of their own land.

Nice. Last year I was determined to pick strawberries come
hell or high water. Well, we got high water, so to speak, the
rain ruined the crops locally and there were no strawberries to be
picked, darn it. This year I'm just hoping.

> They have,
> in season, corn, strawberries, tomatoes, pumpkins... just about
> anything they can grow in the ground. The strawberries are large and
> delicious all the way through.

Gotta love those farm stands. However, around here they aren't
open for the season just yet.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:10:05 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> gloria.p wrote on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:58:26 -0600:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
>>> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen
>>> smaller apples than some of them :-)
>>>

>> But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and
>> juicy? Those huge ones aren't always.

>No, I guess they are not red all the way thro. I will let them sit in
>the fridge after sprinkling some sugar. It is very difficult to find
>cartons of completely ripe strawberries that are not beginning to rot,
>especially the hidden ones.

Look for Florida strawberries. They are usually better than
California. Locals should be ripe in your area soon. We just picked
a small handful from our garden yesterday. They are completely ripe
and sweet with no sugar.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2010 6:53 AM, The Cook wrote:
> Look for Florida strawberries. They are usually better than
> California. Locals should be ripe in your area soon. We just picked
> a small handful from our garden yesterday. They are completely ripe
> and sweet with no sugar.

The last strawberries I bought came from Louisiana and they were pretty
good. We just came back from the Rio Grande Valley and they grow
strawberries there, but I think every state grows strawberries,
California, Florida and Oregon being the top producers. I grew
strawberries a few years ago, maybe I should grow them again.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 1, 6:53*am, The Cook > wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:10:05 -0400, "James Silverton"
>

> > wrote:
> > gloria.p *wrote *on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:58:26 -0600:

> >> But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and
> >> juicy? Those huge ones aren't always.

> >No, I guess they are not red all the way thro. I will let them sit in
> >the fridge after sprinkling some sugar. It is very difficult to find
> >cartons of completely ripe strawberries that *are not beginning to rot,
> >especially the hidden ones.

> Look for Florida strawberries. *They are usually better than
> California. *Locals should be ripe in your area soon. *We just picked
> a small handful from our garden yesterday. *They are completely ripe
> and sweet with no sugar.

I've got them in both back yards, and in the community garden.
They're about quarter size so far. They are easy to grow.

> --
> Susan N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> Look for Florida strawberries. They are usually better than
> California. Locals should be ripe in your area soon. We just picked
> a small handful from our garden yesterday. They are completely ripe
> and sweet with no sugar.

Doesn't make sense for us to buy Florida strawberries. And, for us
again, California strawberries *are* local strawberries. We live in the
northern part of California, so I don't think they are really in season
in the local fields yet.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Doesn't make sense for us to buy Florida strawberries. And, for us
> again, California strawberries *are* local strawberries. We live in the
> northern part of California, so I don't think they are really in season
> in the local fields yet.

Our local fields opened a week or so ago. The berries are awesome this
year. Of course, most of the year we see the organic Wastonville
berries, but I don't think they are nearly as good as the ones we get
close to home.

--Lin (I've never seen Florida strawberries here. Ever.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> Doesn't make sense for us to buy Florida strawberries. And, for us
>> again, California strawberries *are* local strawberries. We live in
>> the northern part of California, so I don't think they are really in
>> season in the local fields yet.

> Our local fields opened a week or so ago. The berries are awesome this
> year. Of course, most of the year we see the organic Wastonville
> berries, but I don't think they are nearly as good as the ones we get
> close to home.

I almost never buy strawberries out of (local) season. They are usually
at least double the cost of local berries and the are bland. Nice fresh
strawberries are just too good and the imported berries are always a
major disappointment. Maybe I have been spoiled because Strawberries are
a major local crop. There are three strawberry farms within walking
distance from my house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:11:45 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Today, I bought a pack of good looking and not too expensive
>>> strawberries from California. They are immense! I've seen smaller
>>> apples than some of them :-)
>>>

>> But are they ripe all the way to the center and sweet and juicy?
>> Those huge ones aren't always.
>>
>> gloria p

> I got an exceptional 1 lb. tub of jumbo strawberries awhile ago.
>
> Not only were they sweet, they had crunch!
>
> I ate the whole tub standing at the kitchen sink. :9
>
> The brand was DiSantis (sp?), iirc.
>
> Andy

tubs for the tubby.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 May 2010 07:44:43 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>

>> Look for Florida strawberries. They are usually better than
>> California. Locals should be ripe in your area soon. We just picked
>> a small handful from our garden yesterday. They are completely ripe
>> and sweet with no sugar.

>Doesn't make sense for us to buy Florida strawberries. And, for us
>again, California strawberries *are* local strawberries. We live in the
>northern part of California, so I don't think they are really in season
>in the local fields yet.

Ours are coming in fast. The good ones are at the farmer's markets.
Although there are plenty of those Pumpkin City stands around, they're
too hit and miss to be relied upon. Farmer's market tomorrow in Laguna
Niguel! The DH is on the hunt to buy some more of those tamales he
found last week and I want another batch of killer rhubarb.

Damn, I wish I knew where to find good boysenberries. Can't find 'em
anywhere.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I almost never buy strawberries out of (local) season. They are usually at
> least double the cost of local berries and the are bland. Nice fresh
> strawberries are just too good and the imported berries are always a
> major disappointment.

I feel exactly the same way. I am completely willing to do without rather
than settle for inferior strawberries. I think Lin is starting to come
around to my way of thinking, after seeing how much better local berries are
than the nasty ones we get from Watsonville -- even in the farmers' market.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

> Damn, I wish I knew where to find good boysenberries. Can't find 'em
> anywhere.

Well, move to Placer County! We've got boysenberries here for several months
out of the year.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I feel exactly the same way. I am completely willing to do without
> rather than settle for inferior strawberries. I think Lin is starting to
> come around to my way of thinking, after seeing how much better local
> berries are than the nasty ones we get from Watsonville -- even in the
> farmers' market.

Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around
the fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to
shell! Also carrots, two nice bunches of asparagus, gorgeous halibut and
red snapper fillets, and some Black Truffle Salt from the Spicy Ladies.
I'm certain you noticed the flat of strawberries from our little local
stand. Christine split those with me. Apricots might be ready in about
three weeks, too.

--Lin (Christine and I had a wonderful day! I even won at the track --
Yay "Super Saver"!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:10:03 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Damn, I wish I knew where to find good boysenberries. Can't find 'em
>anywhere.
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
>--

I think it is too early for them. But when they come in season
shortly, you probably can find them at the Santa Monica farmers
market, among others. However, that is quite a trek for you..but the
market is astounding.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:11:03 -0700, Lin
> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> I feel exactly the same way. I am completely willing to do without
>> rather than settle for inferior strawberries. I think Lin is starting to
>> come around to my way of thinking, after seeing how much better local
>> berries are than the nasty ones we get from Watsonville -- even in the
>> farmers' market.

>Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around
>the fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to
>shell! Also carrots, two nice bunches of asparagus, gorgeous halibut and
>red snapper fillets, and some Black Truffle Salt from the Spicy Ladies.
>I'm certain you noticed the flat of strawberries from our little local
>stand. Christine split those with me. Apricots might be ready in about
>three weeks, too.
>
>--Lin (Christine and I had a wonderful day! I even won at the track --
>Yay "Super Saver"!)

I am thinking the favas might be interesting along side the pizza.....

And/or the truffle salt might be an interesting addition to the pizza,
in some way...

I am dying for fresh apricots. Want to see someone get a pound or two
and demolish them by the end of the day? Yep, that's me...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fava Beans are here!

Lin wrote:

> Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around the
> fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to shell!

I'm at work as I read this, so I haven't seen the size of the big honkin'
bunch, but I'm guessing it's not as big as I'd like it to be: about 95% of a
fava bean is wasted. A typical supermarket shopping bag would hold about a
gallon and a half of fava beans in the shell. After shelling and shucking,
that would leave just over ONE CUP of ready-to-use fava beans. I consider
that to be about one serving, if it's just by itself.

It's possible to economize slightly: You can cook the fava bean husks
together with woody asparagus bottoms, spring onion tops, and artichoke
leaves to make a vernal-themed broth for springtime soups. But for the most
part, fava beans are a lot of work for a little reward -- which means the
reward better be pretty good!

Of course, there's no reason to serve the beans by themselves. Fava beans go
well with spring peas, with asparagus, with parmesan cheese, or with other
spring vegetables. Lin mentioned that she got carrots at the farmers'
market; if they're slender young carrots I'll combine them with the fava
beans and a bit of dill as a vegetable side dish. Otherwise I might seek out
sugar snap peas, remove them from the shell, and cook them with the fava
beans (while the shells cook together with the fava shells). I'll just have
to see when I get home in the morning.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 May 2010 19:40:41 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Lin wrote:
>
>> Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around the
>> fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to shell!

>I'm at work as I read this, so I haven't seen the size of the big honkin'
>bunch, but I'm guessing it's not as big as I'd like it to be: about 95% of a
>fava bean is wasted. A typical supermarket shopping bag would hold about a
>gallon and a half of fava beans in the shell. After shelling and shucking,
>that would leave just over ONE CUP of ready-to-use fava beans. I consider
>that to be about one serving, if it's just by itself.

Trust me. It's a BIG bunch. Lin almost bought them out of
them...that's how much she got.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Truffle Salt

Christine replied to Lin:

>> Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around the
>> fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to
>> shell! Also carrots, two nice bunches of asparagus, gorgeous halibut and
>> red snapper fillets, and some Black Truffle Salt from the Spicy Ladies.
>> I'm certain you noticed the flat of strawberries from our little local
>> stand. Christine split those with me. Apricots might be ready in about
>> three weeks, too.

> And/or the truffle salt might be an interesting addition to the pizza,
> in some way...

I'd like to try the truffle salt in a roasted chicken. I *thought* we were
going to roast chicken tomorrow night, but then Lin brought home halibut and
rockfish (falsely marketed as snapper), so all bets are off.

Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do with
truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life. Steaks? Burgers?
Mac & cheese?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I'd like to try the truffle salt in a roasted chicken. I *thought* we
> were going to roast chicken tomorrow night, but then Lin brought home
> halibut and rockfish (falsely marketed as snapper), so all bets are off.

I forgot that I changed my mind on the rockfish/snapper and went with a
very nice piece of black sea bass. Truffle salt might taste pretty good
on that!

I'd be happy to go ahead and roast that chicken tonight.

--Lin (wondering which fish to freeze and which to leave out ...)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 May 2010 07:49:25 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Ron wrote:
>
>> True, for commercial grocery store strawberries.

>I've gotten some really tasty berries from the grocery stores
>lately. Of course it's hit or miss. And not as good as fresh-
>from-the-fields berries in some warm sunny state.

Well, here in sunny Southern California, our local roadside stand has
had strawberries for three or four weeks. Maybe longer... we don't go
by there every week.

>> We don't buy
>> strawberries at the grocery stores anymore. We've found a local
>> roadside stand that sits on a few acres of their own land.

>Nice. Last year I was determined to pick strawberries come
>hell or high water. Well, we got high water, so to speak, the
>rain ruined the crops locally and there were no strawberries to be
>picked, darn it. This year I'm just hoping.
>
>> They have,
>> in season, corn, strawberries, tomatoes, pumpkins... just about
>> anything they can grow in the ground. The strawberries are large and
>> delicious all the way through.

>Gotta love those farm stands. However, around here they aren't
>open for the season just yet.

Ours closes usually from November to February. One assumes they are
prepping the fields for next years crops.

Ron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 May 2010 19:51:33 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do with
> truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life.

I'd bet the quality of those things varies just as much as truffle
oil (some don't even contain truffle). Not sure what effect the salt
would have on them, but I'd bet they're not grinding up the pick of
the litter to make truffle salt.

I bought a one each bottle of white and black truffle packed in
<duh> water. I think I paid $45 for both small bottles. They both
tasted exactly the same - like canned water chestnuts. And the
water tasted like water.

That was my first and last experience with truffles. But I saved a
fortune in the long run; I got a life's supply of truffles for only
$45.

ObFood: Shredded spicy dried squid ($1.50 for 4 ozes, and 80% as
good as beef jerky). Why do they even sell whole dried squid
(ranging in price from $4 to $25 a 3-pack) Wouldn't that be like
making jerky from Kobe beef? Call me squid-ignorant.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Christine replied to Lin:
>
> >> Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around the
> >> fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to
> >> shell! Also carrots, two nice bunches of asparagus, gorgeous halibut and
> >> red snapper fillets, and some Black Truffle Salt from the Spicy Ladies.
> >> I'm certain you noticed the flat of strawberries from our little local
> >> stand. Christine split those with me. Apricots might be ready in about
> >> three weeks, too.

> > And/or the truffle salt might be an interesting addition to the pizza,
> > in some way...

> I'd like to try the truffle salt in a roasted chicken. I *thought* we were
> going to roast chicken tomorrow night, but then Lin brought home halibut and
> rockfish (falsely marketed as snapper), so all bets are off.
>
> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do with
> truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life. Steaks? Burgers?
> Mac & cheese?
>
> Bob

Eggs. I'd want something fairly neutral so I could at least taste the
truffle. Mac and cheese would be a second choice.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do
>> with truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life.

> I'd bet the quality of those things varies just as much as truffle
> oil (some don't even contain truffle). Not sure what effect the salt
> would have on them, but I'd bet they're not grinding up the pick of
> the litter to make truffle salt.
>
> I bought a one each bottle of white and black truffle packed in
> <duh> water. I think I paid $45 for both small bottles. They both
> tasted exactly the same - like canned water chestnuts. And the
> water tasted like water.
>
> That was my first and last experience with truffles. But I saved a
> fortune in the long run; I got a life's supply of truffles for only
> $45.

Boy, that's a shame.

From past dining experience, I know that truffles can have a very
penetrating and long-lasting fragrance. But I've also found products which
promise truffle flavor and fail to deliver. (Trader Joe's truffle oil is one
example.)

In the case of this particular product, Lin informs me that it's been
sprinkled on the chicken we're going to roast Sunday afternoon, and
consequently the kitchen is thoroughly steeped in the smell of truffles.
She's pretty sure that the smell will still be lingering in the kitchen when
I get home in about five hours.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do
>> with truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life. Steaks?
>> Burgers? Mac & cheese?

> Eggs. I'd want something fairly neutral so I could at least taste the
> truffle. Mac and cheese would be a second choice.

Good idea! Soft-boiled egg with truffle salt, queued up in my head...

Lin sprinkled a chicken with the salt earlier tonight; we'll be roasting it
in about 15 hours. That's the only seasoning we plan, though I might put
some butter on the chicken when it comes out of the oven.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do
> >> with truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life. Steaks?
> >> Burgers? Mac & cheese?

> > Eggs. I'd want something fairly neutral so I could at least taste the
> > truffle. Mac and cheese would be a second choice.

> Good idea! Soft-boiled egg with truffle salt, queued up in my head...
>
> Lin sprinkled a chicken with the salt earlier tonight; we'll be roasting it
> in about 15 hours. That's the only seasoning we plan, though I might put
> some butter on the chicken when it comes out of the oven.
>
> Bob

Be sure to report!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Squid (was: Truffle Salt)

Sqwertz wrote:

> ObFood: Shredded spicy dried squid ($1.50 for 4 ozes, and 80% as
> good as beef jerky). Why do they even sell whole dried squid
> (ranging in price from $4 to $25 a 3-pack) Wouldn't that be like
> making jerky from Kobe beef? Call me squid-ignorant.

It's harvested and dried in Asia, then sent here.
I suppose they could freeze it and then send it here,
but that would require equipment, energy investment,
and refrigerated transportation that they might not
be prepared to undertake. That squid could have
been harvested by some guys on a sailboat and dried
in the sun on woven grass mats. Even if they could
send us frozen squid, they would have to compete
with domestic squid production. I believe the U.S.
is a net exporter of squid.

In my opinion, the shredded dried cuttlefish is
better than the squid. It has a more delicate
texture. Squid is tougher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 May 2010 01:21:31 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 1 May 2010 19:51:33 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Let's throw out this question: What would the others in this forum do with
>> truffle salt? It's probably got a fairly short shelf life.

> I'd bet the quality of those things varies just as much as truffle
> oil (some don't even contain truffle). Not sure what effect the salt
> would have on them, but I'd bet they're not grinding up the pick of
> the litter to make truffle salt.
>
> I bought a one each bottle of white and black truffle packed in
> <duh> water. I think I paid $45 for both small bottles. They both
> tasted exactly the same - like canned water chestnuts. And the
> water tasted like water.
>
> That was my first and last experience with truffles. But I saved a
> fortune in the long run; I got a life's supply of truffles for only
> $45.

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet replied to Bob:

>> Lin sprinkled a chicken with the salt earlier tonight; we'll be roasting it
>> in about 15 hours. That's the only seasoning we plan, though I might put
>> some butter on the chicken when it comes out of the oven.
>>
>> Bob

> Be sure to report!

He went ahead and vertically roasted it this a.m. Juicy, juicy, juicy.
We both agree that the bird could have used a little more salt (I went
easy on it because my spice lady said it was strong -- and it definitely
smelled strong!) He nibbled the wings when it came out of the oven and
said they were fantastic. I just cut a bit of the breast away and used
it in my EggBeaters omelet (yeah, don't say anything). I put a pinch
more truffle salt on top of the omelet mixture (with a little green
onion) and it was amazing. No pepper, no salsa. Nothing more than the
truffle salt as seasoning.

Next time, I'll do the dry brine with a bit more truffle salt and a
longer set time. Oh, and let it brine in the garage fridge. Opened the
kitchen fridge early and that truffle smell is pretty pungent. The jar
does state that the salt was made with Italian Black Truffles. 2.5
oz./$13. Funny thing is, Bob came home last week with some imported
Australian "Murray River" finishing salts that were $14.50 for 4 ozs.
and I sort of balked at that. Got him beat with the Black Truffle Salt!
LOL! Our collection of salts grows ...

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 May 2010 18:51:56 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Squeaks wrote:
>
>> Damn, I wish I knew where to find good boysenberries. Can't find 'em
>> anywhere.

>Well, move to Placer County! We've got boysenberries here for several months
>out of the year.

Anyplace thereabouts I can get some shipped to me, Bob? I've spent
money on things more stupid than overnight shipping of something I
can't get locally.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet replied to Bob:
>
> >> Lin sprinkled a chicken with the salt earlier tonight; we'll be roasting it
> >> in about 15 hours. That's the only seasoning we plan, though I might put
> >> some butter on the chicken when it comes out of the oven.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Be sure to report!

> He went ahead and vertically roasted it this a.m. Juicy, juicy, juicy.
> We both agree that the bird could have used a little more salt (I went
> easy on it because my spice lady said it was strong -- and it definitely
> smelled strong!) He nibbled the wings when it came out of the oven and
> said they were fantastic. I just cut a bit of the breast away and used
> it in my EggBeaters omelet (yeah, don't say anything). I put a pinch
> more truffle salt on top of the omelet mixture (with a little green
> onion) and it was amazing. No pepper, no salsa. Nothing more than the
> truffle salt as seasoning.

Sounds good. I may have to indulge in a truffle and make some truffle
salt just for grins. Do you know what the proportions are? Black
truffles are rather pricey, but I guess I could afford 1/4 oz. or so. <g>

> Next time, I'll do the dry brine with a bit more truffle salt and a
> longer set time. Oh, and let it brine in the garage fridge. Opened the
> kitchen fridge early and that truffle smell is pretty pungent. The jar
> does state that the salt was made with Italian Black Truffles. 2.5
> oz./$13. Funny thing is, Bob came home last week with some imported
> Australian "Murray River" finishing salts that were $14.50 for 4 ozs.
> and I sort of balked at that. Got him beat with the Black Truffle Salt!
> LOL! Our collection of salts grows ...
>
> --Lin

Exotic salts are fun. :-) I gave my sister some Himalayan pink salt in
a salt grinder for Christmas. 4 oz. fills the grinder and iirc it was
around $14.00 per lb. in the bulk section. Looks like her grinder is
about 1/2 empty and it's been 4 months. I get it in the bulk spice
section at HEB.

It does have a distinct flavor and she's been enjoying it! They have
other exotic salts I've not tried, including some ashy sea salt from
Hawaii. Interesting sulphury smokey flavor.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:
>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> I feel exactly the same way. I am completely willing to do without
>> rather than settle for inferior strawberries. I think Lin is starting to
>> come around to my way of thinking, after seeing how much better local
>> berries are than the nasty ones we get from Watsonville -- even in the
>> farmers' market.

Well, it won't be long for you now. I'm getting Yolo berries in my farm
box. WOOHOO!

>Speaking of the farmers market ... not sure if you went poking around
>the fridges, but I purchased FAVA BEANS! A big honkin' bunch for you to
>shell! Also carrots, two nice bunches of asparagus, gorgeous halibut and
>red snapper fillets, and some Black Truffle Salt from the Spicy Ladies.
>I'm certain you noticed the flat of strawberries from our little local
>stand. Christine split those with me. Apricots might be ready in about
>three weeks, too.

Some things are going to be a little late this year. Anyone depending on
the commercial tomato fields grown in the Yolo Causeway is going to have
to wait; when I was over it ten days ago, it still had water on it.
Whoda thunk?

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

>>> Damn, I wish I knew where to find good boysenberries. Can't find 'em
>>> anywhere.

>> Well, move to Placer County! We've got boysenberries here for several
>> months out of the year.
>>

> Anyplace thereabouts I can get some shipped to me, Bob? I've spent
> money on things more stupid than overnight shipping of something I
> can't get locally.

The place to get an answer *would* be www.placergrown.org, but the site
appears to be down at the moment.

Bob