Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blueberries?

As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.

Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
to defrost some, and use them in the serving.

They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...

My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
consider it a bad brand and try another?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:54:34 GMT, Benji Z-Man >
wrote:

>As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
>packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.
>
>Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
>to defrost some, and use them in the serving.
>
>They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
>unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
>relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...
>
>My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
>consider it a bad brand and try another?

Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 7:19*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:54:34 GMT, Benji Z-Man >
> wrote:
>
> >As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
> >packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.

> >Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
> >to defrost some, and use them in the serving.

> >They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
> >unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
> >relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...

> >My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
> >consider it a bad brand and try another?

> Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
> perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.

==
I am very thankful for the wild blueberries that grow on my farm. I
find that picking them is hard on my back but the flavor from wild
blueberries beats the domestic ones 10 to 1. Lately I've had to watch
for bears so won't pick alone and usually leave the car radio going
full blast to deter them. Never used to have that problem before but
don't want to fight them for food or territory if I can help it.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
>packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.
>
>Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
>to defrost some, and use them in the serving.
>
>They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
>unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
>relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...
>
>My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
>consider it a bad brand and try another?

Depends on the degree of 'mushiness' etc, but all frozen blueberries
I've seen release a fair amount of juice once defrosted. I can't say
I've had many that I'd class as really mushy though. Obviously, frozen
berries will be somewhat mushy compared to fresh berries.

Can't wait until my Blueberries start producing a decent crop (which
with any luck will be within the next 18 months). For now I also
normally buy frozen berries for convenience, theyre locally grown and
pretty cheap at around $10/KG.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Benji Z-Man > wrote:

> As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
> packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.
>
> Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
> to defrost some, and use them in the serving.
>
> They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
> unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
> relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...
>
> My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
> consider it a bad brand and try another?

Frozen berries are not your best bet for anything other than maybe
baking or making ice cream. If you can't get fresh, look for canned
instead. Frozen berries are also good for fruit smoothies.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Roy > wrote:

> On Apr 29, 7:19*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:54:34 GMT, Benji Z-Man >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
> > >packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.

> > >Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
> > >to defrost some, and use them in the serving.

> > >They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
> > >unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
> > >relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...

> > >My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
> > >consider it a bad brand and try another?

> > Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
> > perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.

> ==
> I am very thankful for the wild blueberries that grow on my farm. I
> find that picking them is hard on my back but the flavor from wild
> blueberries beats the domestic ones 10 to 1. Lately I've had to watch
> for bears so won't pick alone and usually leave the car radio going
> full blast to deter them. Never used to have that problem before but
> don't want to fight them for food or territory if I can help it.
> ==

Take the dog with you.
And a low, small stool to make it easier on your back!

By the way, bear is delicious. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 12:12*am, Roy > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 7:19*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:54:34 GMT, Benji Z-Man >
> > wrote:

> > >As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
> > >packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.

> > >Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
> > >to defrost some, and use them in the serving.

> > >They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
> > >unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
> > >relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...

> > >My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
> > >consider it a bad brand and try another?

> > Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
> > perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.

> ==
> I am very thankful for the wild blueberries that grow on my farm. I
> find that picking them is hard on my back but the flavor from wild
> blueberries beats the domestic ones 10 to 1. Lately I've had to watch
> for bears so won't pick alone and usually leave the car radio going
> full blast to deter them. Never used to have that problem before but
> don't want to fight them for food or territory if I can help it.
> ==

I had a buddy who lived/lives right outside Yellowstone. We was--and
I guess still is--a musket hunter. He won't use a rifle. He does
have one gun with bullets though. He carries a high caliber pistol to
use in case of bears.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 4:18*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Roy > wrote:
> > On Apr 29, 7:19*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> > > Blueberries are easy to grow... once you've eaten fresh picked
> > > perfectly ripe nothing else will satisfy.

> > ==
> > I am very thankful for the wild blueberries that grow on my farm. I
> > find that picking them is hard on my back but the flavor from wild
> > blueberries beats the domestic ones 10 to 1. Lately I've had to watch
> > for bears so won't pick alone and usually leave the car radio going
> > full blast to deter them. Never used to have that problem before but
> > don't want to fight them for food or territory if I can help it.
> > ==

> Take the dog with you.
> And a low, small stool to make it easier on your back!
>
> By the way, bear is delicious. ;-)
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. *--Alex Levine

==
My brother killed a bear and thought he might eat the critter. Well he
hung the dressed out carcass for processing but the carcass resembled
a human, (as seen in illustrations), that he couldn't proceed any
further. Yuck.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>As in my climate there's rarely a punnet of fresh ones, I bought a
>packet of frozen blueberries for cooking with.
>
>Except that after making a platter last night, decided that I was going
>to defrost some, and use them in the serving.
>
>They were horrible. Mushy, flat, and though juicy, the juice
>unfortunately went everywhere else but the berries, leaving behind a
>relatively tasteless mush. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping for...
>
>My question: is this common for frozen berries? Or should I just
>consider it a bad brand and try another?

If you want previously frozen and then thawed blueberries to have the
texture of fresh, you're out of luck. If your question is about
something else, please clarify.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 05:17:25 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Frozen berries are also good for fruit smoothies.

I forget if you ever get near a Trader Joe's or not. If you do, plan
to buy a bag of their frozen mixed berries to use for smoothies.
Mmmm.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 05:17:25 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Frozen berries are also good for fruit smoothies.

> I forget if you ever get near a Trader Joe's or not. If you do, plan
> to buy a bag of their frozen mixed berries to use for smoothies.
> Mmmm.

Unfortunately, there are no TJ's in Texas. :-(
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:00:35 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 05:17:25 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Frozen berries are also good for fruit smoothies.

>> I forget if you ever get near a Trader Joe's or not. If you do, plan
>> to buy a bag of their frozen mixed berries to use for smoothies.
>> Mmmm.

> Unfortunately, there are no TJ's in Texas. :-(

that's because TJ's has communist, or at least yurpean, overtones.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:00:35 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> I forget if you ever get near a Trader Joe's or not. If you do, plan
> >> to buy a bag of their frozen mixed berries to use for smoothies.
> >> Mmmm.

> > Unfortunately, there are no TJ's in Texas. :-(

> that's because TJ's has communist, or at least yurpean, overtones.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Oh?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 May 2010 20:45:47 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 01 May 2010 19:00:35 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, there are no TJ's in Texas. :-(

>> that's because TJ's has communist, or at least yurpean, overtones.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Oh?

they may be subtle, girlie, but they're there.

your pal,
blake

Blueberries George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 11 04-06-2014 01:47 AM
Blueberries! Gary General Cooking 7 14-07-2013 03:03 PM
Blueberries kalanamak General Cooking 17 05-08-2005 02:33 AM
blueberries donald girod General Cooking 7 04-08-2005 06:22 PM
Ah, blueberries ntantiques General Cooking 22 28-07-2005 06:38 PM