Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Choosing A Tamalera

Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
which divides the space into three radial sections,
to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
want the largest size that will fit over my one
remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
> the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
> type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
> the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
> of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
> at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
> which divides the space into three radial sections,
> to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
> want the largest size that will fit over my one
> remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

One where you can put a dime in the simmering water. When you stop hearing
the dime rattle you'll know you're running out of water/steam. Has to be a
dime a penny is too heavy to be lifter by the bubbles.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:08:28 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
>the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
>type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
>the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
>of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
>at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
>which divides the space into three radial sections,
>to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
>want the largest size that will fit over my one
>remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

I just use my stock pot with one of those collapsible metal vegetable
steamers on the bottom. To keep them upright, I loosely run kitchen
string (in this case, kite string) around them.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:41:45 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I just use my stock pot with one of those collapsible metal vegetable
> steamers on the bottom. To keep them upright, I loosely run kitchen
> string (in this case, kite string) around them.

Yep - What I do, too. I don't other with the string, I just stand
them upright and pack them loosely in there. I have several size
pots I can use depending on how many tamales I've made.

No sense buying a dedicated tamale pot.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:41:45 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I just use my stock pot with one of those collapsible metal vegetable
>steamers on the bottom.

Me too. He should use the money he saves by not buying a tamalera and
fix his stove.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:41:45 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
> >I just use my stock pot with one of those collapsible metal vegetable
> >steamers on the bottom.

> Me too. He should use the money he saves by not buying a tamalera and
> fix his stove.

I've still got one burner that works.
I seldom have a use for more than that,
unless it's a really cold day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
> the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
> type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
> the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
> of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
> at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
> which divides the space into three radial sections,
> to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
> want the largest size that will fit over my one
> remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

1. Buy a new stove. You may want to cook more than one thing
at a time in the future.

2. Use a (vegetable?)steamer rack in a kettle you already have, and lay
the tamales in a layer a half inch or so apart, then another layer at a
90 degree angle to the first, keep layering with enough space for steam
to rise through the layers.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
> the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
> type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
> the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
> of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
> at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
> which divides the space into three radial sections,
> to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
> want the largest size that will fit over my one
> remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

I have an old pasta cooker with a lift-out strainer. Thin aluminum
thing. It works a lot better as a tamale steamer than it does as a
pasta pot, except the bottom of the insert is too close to the bottom
so I have to watch it really close to keep it from boiling dry.

It makes an even better strainer (there's a technical term for it but
I don't remember it) when I'm done mashing the malt and getting ready
to boil it to start brewing beer.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:21:21 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I have an old pasta cooker with a lift-out strainer. Thin aluminum
>thing. It works a lot better as a tamale steamer than it does as a
>pasta pot, except the bottom of the insert is too close to the bottom
>so I have to watch it really close to keep it from boiling dry.
>
>It makes an even better strainer (there's a technical term for it but
>I don't remember it) when I'm done mashing the malt and getting ready
>to boil it to start brewing beer.

Good for you Bob! That's multi-purposing.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2010 4:08 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
> the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
> type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
> the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
> of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
> at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
> which divides the space into three radial sections,
> to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
> want the largest size that will fit over my one
> remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

I use my Chinese bamboo steamer. It has 2 trays and a lid.
I put it over my SS dutch oven and seal up any gaps around
the edges with wet paper towels. Works great!
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> On 4/25/2010 4:08 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Anyone have advice on choosing a tamalera? This is
> > the big pot used to steam tamales. The simplest
> > type have a perforated plate held a few inches above
> > the bottom. More complex ones seem to have a set
> > of sections, so that multiple layers can be steamed
> > at once. Also, I've seen a type that has an insert
> > which divides the space into three radial sections,
> > to help hold the tamales standing upright. I probably
> > want the largest size that will fit over my one
> > remaining functional burner on my gas stovetop.

> I use my Chinese bamboo steamer. It has 2 trays and a lid.
> I put it over my SS dutch oven and seal up any gaps around
> the edges with wet paper towels. Works great!
> Kate

That is a cool idea!

I've been considering purchasing one of those three layer stainless
steel chinese steamers sold at the asian market.

Anyone have an opinion on those?
The bamboo ones are also available.

I've been doing my steaming in a steel stock pot with an iris steamer
insert, or in the microwave in a covered corningware...
--
Peace! Om