Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "storing" fresh cut herbs

I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
herbs like floral displays.

So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.

It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)

I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.
>
> This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> herbs like floral displays.
>
> So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
>
> It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
>
> I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.

I found this to be very good advice :
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...them_fresh.php
And really nice blog to follow by the way.
cheers,

--
Nathalie from Belgium
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.
>
> This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> herbs like floral displays.
>
> So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
>
> It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
>
> I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.

That is exactly the way I store my herbs They look pretty too.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nathalie W > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> > sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> > I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> > and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> > The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.
> >
> > This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> > store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> > with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> > herbs like floral displays.
> >
> > So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> > them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> > sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> > water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
> >
> > It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
> >
> > I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.

> I found this to be very good advice :
> http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...ow_to_keep_the
> m_fresh.php
> And really nice blog to follow by the way.
> cheers,

Looks interesting but a lot of work. <g>

I try to learn from what the grocery stores do any more as far as
storage techniques go. I figure that they have a financial interest in
the best storage methods. :-)

It is going on day 5 now and the Basil is still good! Altho' a bit
sparse since I have eaten most of it...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> > sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> > I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> > and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> > The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.
> >
> > This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> > store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> > with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> > herbs like floral displays.
> >
> > So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> > them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> > sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> > water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
> >
> > It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
> >
> > I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.

> That is exactly the way I store my herbs They look pretty too.
>
> --

Decorative indeed. :-) Dad commented on it.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that
> made them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases
> off with a sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a
> small glass of water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
>
> It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
>
> I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need
> them.

I store parsley just as you say, but I keep it in the refrigerator. I
don't know if it matters or not.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 8:21*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Nathalie W > wrote:
>

> > Omelet wrote:
> > > I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> > > sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> > > I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> > > and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> > > The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

> > > This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> > > store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> > > with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> > > herbs like floral displays.

> > > So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> > > them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> > > sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> > > water. *I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.

> > > It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)

> > > I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.

> > I found this to be very good advice :
> >http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...ens_and_how_to...
> > m_fresh.php
> > And really nice blog to follow by the way.
> > cheers,

> Looks interesting but a lot of work. <g>
>
> I try to learn from what the grocery stores do any more as far as
> storage techniques go. I figure that they have a financial interest in
> the best storage methods. :-)
>
> It is going on day 5 now and the Basil is still good! Altho' a bit
> sparse since I have eaten most of it...

I wish I knew about this method when I was hooked on "Laab" (a thai
dish using thia basil). After wasting so much money on wilted thai
basil, I starte dfreezing them after washing and drying with paper
towel. But, then out of sight out of mind and they're still in the
freezer, getting used like once or twice. The taste is just not the
same. I guess I will start eating this dish again. Better yet, I
will soon start go to farmer's market, get fresh veges and fruits just
for the week, and basil too.

> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. *--Alex Levine- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that
> > made them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases
> > off with a sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a
> > small glass of water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
> >
> > It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
> >
> > I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need
> > them.

> I store parsley just as you say, but I keep it in the refrigerator. I
> don't know if it matters or not.
>
> nancy

I've stored celery that way too to keep it crisp, and in the
refrigerator. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
>I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

Do what you would do with cut flowers

fresh herbs = fresh flowers = same thing.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 11:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
(snip)

> So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> water. *I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
>
> It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
>
> I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.
> --
> Peace! Om

Om,

That's how I store my extra herbs. The only thing to remember is
that just like cut flowers, any leaves below the water line will
rot.

I store my asparagus in a similar way: As soon as I get it home, I
cut the bottom to expose the tubes, put the bunch in a large yogurt
container, add a couple inches of water (5 cm.), cover with a paper
towel, then a plastic bag, then in the fridge. If you put the plastic
against the asparagus, it will rot.

Have fun,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> >I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> > sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> > I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> > and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> > The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

> Do what you would do with cut flowers
>
> fresh herbs = fresh flowers = same thing.
>
> Dimitri

That is exactly what I did luv. :-) Did you read the rest of the post?
I was sharing a successful venture with the rest of y'all!

It's the best fresh herbs have ever, ever done for me.

And it was easy and not time conusuming.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ken > wrote:

> On Apr 24, 11:18*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> > them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> > sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> > water. *I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
> >
> > It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
> >
> > I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Om,
>
> That's how I store my extra herbs. The only thing to remember is
> that just like cut flowers, any leaves below the water line will
> rot.

I noted that the water levels at the store are shallow. :-)

> I store my asparagus in a similar way: As soon as I get it home, I
> cut the bottom to expose the tubes, put the bunch in a large yogurt
> container, add a couple inches of water (5 cm.), cover with a paper
> towel, then a plastic bag, then in the fridge. If you put the plastic
> against the asparagus, it will rot.

What a cool idea! I've used that method for celery, but never for
Asparagus. Thanks!

> Have fun,
>
> Ken

Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.
>
> This last time I bought it for the potluck thing, I decided to try to
> store it like they did at the store. They have a large room temp. table
> with numerous plastic containers with water, and they store the cut
> herbs like floral displays.
>
> So, when I got the basil home, I left the rubber band on them that made
> them into the salable bundles and carefully trimmed the bases off with a
> sharp pair of scissors and immediately put them into a small glass of
> water. I stored it at room temp in the glass of water.
>
> It's now been 4 days and they still look, smell and taste fresh... :-)
>
> I am changing the water daily and plucking off the leaves as I need them.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Definitely going to try that. The best way I've found so far is to rinse the
herbs, pull off any leaves or stems that have been crushed by ties or rubber
bands (since they tend to rot and start the stuff touching them to rot),
loosely wrap in a paper towel, letting the clinging water from the herbs
dampen it, then into a plastic bag and into the fridge. This works great for
rosemary, thyme, oregano, and tarragon. It doesn't work as well for
cilantro, dill or parsley, but they still last longer than just leaving them
tied or banded and just sticking them dry in a bag in the fridge .

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>> >I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
>> > sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
>> > I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
>> > and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
>> > The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

>> Do what you would do with cut flowers
>>
>> fresh herbs = fresh flowers = same thing.
>>
>> Dimitri

> That is exactly what I did luv. :-) Did you read the rest of the post?
> I was sharing a successful venture with the rest of y'all!
>
> It's the best fresh herbs have ever, ever done for me.
>
> And it was easy and not time conusuming.
> --
> Peace! Om

Yes I forget to say I have also had luck keeping them in the glass on the
top shelf of the fridge. Like the cut flowers in the cold box at a florist.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote>
>
>>I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
>> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
>> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
>> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
>> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

> Do what you would do with cut flowers
> fresh herbs = fresh flowers = same thing.

Yup. 1) Stay on the plant and they stay fresh the longest. 2) Keep the
stem in water and they might last long enough to make roots. 3) When in
doubt dehydrate by hanging upside down. 4) Using a dehydrating machine
still has it a little bit better than the jarred stuff.

And the science fiction answer - Put it in a statis box. None of those
exist at our current level of science.

We have an Aerogarden. The basil in it a couple of days ago fell over
live someone sat on it. They only last a since number of months. Now
there's a bucket of sprouts growing on the deck so it will be a month or
so before we have new fresh. Until then the dehydrated leaves will need
to last. No pesto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo" > wrote:

> Definitely going to try that. The best way I've found so far is to rinse the
> herbs, pull off any leaves or stems that have been crushed by ties or rubber
> bands (since they tend to rot and start the stuff touching them to rot),
> loosely wrap in a paper towel, letting the clinging water from the herbs
> dampen it, then into a plastic bag and into the fridge. This works great for
> rosemary, thyme, oregano, and tarragon. It doesn't work as well for
> cilantro, dill or parsley, but they still last longer than just leaving them
> tied or banded and just sticking them dry in a bag in the fridge .

Hope it works for you! I figure that treating them like a floral
display... ;-)

The last 4 bundles I bought are still living in that glass of fresh
water. And still as yummy as the day I bought them last Wednesday
afternoon with fresh water once per day. So, call it 6 days so far? And
I doubt they will last another two days, only because I plan to eat
them. <g>

I do want to try this with Cilantro and Parsley and will report
accordingly.

I know it works for celery.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> > That is exactly what I did luv. :-) Did you read the rest of the post?
> > I was sharing a successful venture with the rest of y'all!
> >
> > It's the best fresh herbs have ever, ever done for me.
> >
> > And it was easy and not time conusuming.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Yes I forget to say I have also had luck keeping them in the glass on the
> top shelf of the fridge. Like the cut flowers in the cold box at a florist.
>
> Dimitri

Storing them stem down in water in the 'frige might work also, but these
are actually starting to bloom at room temp.

Not sure if that is good or not... <g>

My refrigerators are kept pretty cold and I am not sure about their
light requirement.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote>
> >
> >>I never seem to have enough fresh Basil and Central Market in Austin
> >> sells bunched Organic fresh herbs for 3 bunches for $4.00. The trouble
> >> I've had with Basil in the past is that if I put it into a produce bag
> >> and put in into the refrigerator, it starts to go off in only 2 days.
> >> The color changes and it does not taste as fresh.

> > Do what you would do with cut flowers
> > fresh herbs = fresh flowers = same thing.

> Yup. 1) Stay on the plant and they stay fresh the longest. 2) Keep the
> stem in water and they might last long enough to make roots. 3) When in
> doubt dehydrate by hanging upside down. 4) Using a dehydrating machine
> still has it a little bit better than the jarred stuff.
>
> And the science fiction answer - Put it in a statis box. None of those
> exist at our current level of science.
>
> We have an Aerogarden. The basil in it a couple of days ago fell over
> live someone sat on it. They only last a since number of months. Now
> there's a bucket of sprouts growing on the deck so it will be a month or
> so before we have new fresh. Until then the dehydrated leaves will need
> to last. No pesto.

Wah! ;-)

I do need to start some Basil in the West side herb garden... And keep
it wet! Cannot help wondering if potting would not be best.

Re-seeded about every 8 weeks.
--
Peace! Om