Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Default Escolar

Hello All!

I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US who
insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

When I was a child during WWII a canned fish from South Africa called
snoek was sold for a little while. I believe snoek is an other name for
escolar and I can understand why it was no great success.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 10:48*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I know I cannot *eat escolar without dire consequences but I wonder if
> the Japanese government still bans its sale? I know people in the US who
> insist on eating it but I ate it *once* in the form of two pieces
> 2x1x0.5 inches and for about an hour I thought it was wonderful :-)

Bringing this on-topic: I see to its credit that Chez Papa Bistrot (on
Potrero Hill) has ceased making Escolar an entree on its prix fixe
menu.

Noted patriarchy-blamer Jill Posey-Smith wrote the definitive article
on Escolar-eating for the St. Louis altweekly some years ago.
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
And it was very short lived.

Don't be such a pussy.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>

>>I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
> And it was very short lived.
>
> Don't be such a pussy.

Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
able to handle any at all.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:

>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and only
>> on the second night did I notice anything unusual
>> down there. And it was very short lived.
>>
>> Don't be such a pussy.

> Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
> not be able to handle any at all.

Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
me?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:
>
> > Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
> > not be able to handle any at all.

> Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
> sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
> me?

What? They block Sqwertz too?
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
> And it was very short lived.
>
> Don't be such a pussy.
>
> -sw

I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
Is there another common name for it?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> > I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
>> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
>> And it was very short lived.
>>
>> Don't be such a pussy.
>>
>> -sw

> I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> Is there another common name for it?

Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":

http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat

AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 14:38:35 -0700, Dan Logcher said:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>

>>> I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
>> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
>> And it was very short lived.
>>
>> Don't be such a pussy.

Responding to that I guess people eat all kinds of crap they wouldn't
otherwise. Better to eat pond scum that show "weakness".

> Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
> able to handle any at all.

I like to avoid fish that generally makes a lot of people ill, even if
I don't feel ill. That is, based only on reputation alone, I'll be
glad to ditch it. When vast commercial interests are involved, my
default assumption is that they don't care whether I live or die as
long as I give them money--FIRST.

For that reason I even avoid buying frozen fish from China in the local
Vietnamese store. There's only been a few scares with frozen fish that
were contaminated and filled with **** and poison by the time they got
to the US. In the meantime, I'll assume that means ALL of them.

I'm a happy, healthy pussy, I suppose. I wish I could "man up" and
start eating poop straight out of dog's butt, but can't seem to find
the "courage" for it. I kinda think that's one whole element of
sushi-diner's. Thems that ain't afeared of eating RAW FISH! :-)
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 17:32:28 -0700, Omelet said:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
>> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
>> And it was very short lived.
>>
>> Don't be such a pussy.
>>
>> -sw

> I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> Is there another common name for it?

It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
completeness...
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in message

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
>>> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
>>> And it was very short lived.
>>>
>>> Don't be such a pussy.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
>> Is there another common name for it?

> Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat
>
> AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

Oops! Copied the url from the wrong page.

http://tinyurl.com/2eyugxy

The first tinyurl was for something like 44 million hits for just escolar.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:48:26 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > > I know I cannot eat escolar without dire consequences...

> > I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
> > only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
> > And it was very short lived.
> >
> > Don't be such a pussy.

> I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> Is there another common name for it?

Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 18:50:39 -0700, Omelet said:

> In article >,
> So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> similar side effect to Olestra?
>
> I mean really?

It tastes good--or so it's said. I wouldn't know. The first time I
was offered it under one of it's camoflage names , "white tun" if
memory serves, I had already heard about it's bonus effects.

"You want some white tuna?"
"Isn't that escolar?", I asked.
"Yeah" the sushi chef said.
"Is it good?"
"A lot of people like it", he said.
"How about you. Do you eat it?"
"No," he said looking away. "No I wouldn't eat it."
"I think I'll have the saba."
"Okay."

I've had a similar conversation with three chefs like that. I didn't
know any of theese guys when these chats took place. As for my regular
sushi chefs over the years, some 5 or 6, not one has ever offered it
for sale that I know of; not to me or to others that I'm aware of. Not
one. In all candor, that's the main reason I avoid it.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paco" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
>> > Is there another common name for it?

>> Here's 236,000 hits from a Google search for "escolar fish":
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2f2qcat
>>
>> AKA the ex lax fish! ;-)

> Ok, guess I'll give it a "pass" if I ever see it for sale, thanks.<g>

Yeah. Steve can have my share!

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Omelet > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for
> > > it. Is there another common name for it?

> > Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus).

> Thanks.
>
> So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> similar side effect to Olestra?

I have no idea. Supposedly it tastes good. I love mackerel, but won't try
escolar!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:32:28 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> wrote,
>I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
>Is there another common name for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

"Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), escolar cannot
metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet.
This gives the escolar an oil content of 14–25% in its flesh. These wax
esters may cause gastrointestinal distress in humans called
"keriorrhea", the onset of which may occur between 30 minutes and 36
hours following consumption. Symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose
bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting."

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>

>>Omelet > wrote:

>>>I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
>>>Is there another common name for it?

>>Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus).

> Thanks.
>
> So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> similar side effect to Olestra?
>
> I mean really?
>
> No thanks...

It doesn't effect me and the taste and texture are fantastic!
Like super hamachi. I've been eating it for years and never had
any ill effects. Why ban it if its only a problem for some? Or wait,
I guess we should ban salt, smoking, and swearing too. Bad bad bad!

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 2:38�pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:

> Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
> able to handle any at all.

A favorite restaurant of mine sometimes offers Walu - which
I understand is escolar. I love it and it doesn't bother me.
YMMV
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

KevinS > wrote:

>On Apr 24, 2:38�pm, Dan Logcher > wrote:

>> Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may not be
>> able to handle any at all.

>A favorite restaurant of mine sometimes offers Walu - which
>I understand is escolar. I love it and it doesn't bother me.

Are you in Hawaii?

Fishbase lists _ruvettus pretiosus_ as one of the species commonly
called walu, but only in Hawaii.

(It also lists a bunch of additional species that might be
called escolar, whereas this seems to be the predominant species
that is called oilfish.)

Steve
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:45:17 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Dan wrote on Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:38:35 -0400:

>>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and only
>>> on the second night did I notice anything unusual
>>> down there. And it was very short lived.
>>>
>>> Don't be such a pussy.

>> Every person is different.. some people's digestive system may
>> not be able to handle any at all.

> Since Squirts has been blocked for obvious reasons, I only see it
> sometimes in quotes. I wonder why the Japanese government agrees with
> me?

IOW: You can't handle Jilla nd I always "picking on you" for you
being a total ignoramous with lousy logic skills.

Pussy!

-sw

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:11:20 -0700, Gerry wrote:

> On 2010-04-24 14:38:35 -0700, Dan Logcher said:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I had two 6oz fillets on (1 each on two consecutive nights), and
>>> only on the second night did I notice anything unusual down there.
>>> And it was very short lived.
>>>
>>> Don't be such a pussy.

> Responding to that I guess people eat all kinds of crap they wouldn't
> otherwise. Better to eat pond scum that show "weakness".

It's a perfectly edible fish. I tried after hearing several raves
about this great "pond scum". So I tried it twice. Nothing bad
happened. I didn't eat it to prove any sort of point; I never even
mentioned it to anybody until now, butt****er.

It's people like you and James that perpetuate foods' bad
reputations. You ain't going to stop me.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:32:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> Is there another common name for it?

Not at Central Market, which is the only place that carries it
seasonally.

I wish more people would get the shits so the price would go down.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:47:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> Ok, guess I'll give it a "pass" if I ever see it for sale, thanks.<g>

And another one bites the dust without even trying it.

Fine by me.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:12:43 -0700, Gerry wrote:

> It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
> I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
> completeness...

Maybe after you try it, then you'll be equipped to remark on the
fish and it's effects. Until then you're just making more of an
ignorant, pompous ass of yourself.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:05:09 -0400, Dan Logcher wrote:

> It doesn't effect me and the taste and texture are fantastic!
> Like super hamachi. I've been eating it for years and never had
> any ill effects. Why ban it if its only a problem for some? Or wait,
> I guess we should ban salt, smoking, and swearing too. Bad bad bad!

Thank you.

Don't forget to add cilantro, lamb, and gefilte to the list.

Hmm.. Gefilte... something I've never had. Is Manachewitz brand any
good? It's the only one I see out there.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:27:45 -0700, David Harmon wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> "Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), escolar cannot
> metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet.
> This gives the escolar an oil content of 14–25% in its flesh.

Uh, hello? More misinformation.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article <201004241908315821-somewhere@sunnycalif>,
Gerry > wrote:

> On 2010-04-24 18:50:39 -0700, Omelet said:
>
> > In article >,
> > So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> > similar side effect to Olestra?
> >
> > I mean really?

> It tastes good--or so it's said. I wouldn't know. The first time I
> was offered it under one of it's camoflage names , "white tun" if
> memory serves, I had already heard about it's bonus effects.
>
> "You want some white tuna?"
> "Isn't that escolar?", I asked.
> "Yeah" the sushi chef said.
> "Is it good?"
> "A lot of people like it", he said.
> "How about you. Do you eat it?"
> "No," he said looking away. "No I wouldn't eat it."
> "I think I'll have the saba."
> "Okay."
>
> I've had a similar conversation with three chefs like that. I didn't
> know any of theese guys when these chats took place. As for my regular
> sushi chefs over the years, some 5 or 6, not one has ever offered it
> for sale that I know of; not to me or to others that I'm aware of. Not
> one. In all candor, that's the main reason I avoid it.

All the more reason for me to not try it. There are too many other
options. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > >
> > > Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus).

> > Thanks.
> >
> > So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> > similar side effect to Olestra?

> I have no idea. Supposedly it tastes good. I love mackerel, but won't try
> escolar!
>
> --
> Nick

Thanks!

Just let the poor things live in infamy. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
David Harmon > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:32:28 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Omelet
> > wrote,
> >I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> >Is there another common name for it?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar
>
> "Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), escolar cannot
> metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet.
> This gives the escolar an oil content of 14–25% in its flesh. These wax
> esters may cause gastrointestinal distress in humans called
> "keriorrhea", the onset of which may occur between 30 minutes and 36
> hours following consumption. Symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose
> bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting."

Sounds like fun.

NOT!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan Logcher > wrote:

> > So tell me, what is the attraction in eating fish flesh that has a
> > similar side effect to Olestra?
> >
> > I mean really?
> >
> > No thanks...

> It doesn't effect me and the taste and texture are fantastic!
> Like super hamachi. I've been eating it for years and never had
> any ill effects. Why ban it if its only a problem for some? Or wait,
> I guess we should ban salt, smoking, and swearing too. Bad bad bad!
>
> --
> Dan

I'm not in to banning anything Dan.
Just publish a warning with it. ;-)

Loose bowels I can handle. Nausea and vomiting? No thanks...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:32:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > I've never seen nor heard of it and I did do a bit of googling for it.
> > Is there another common name for it?

> Not at Central Market, which is the only place that carries it
> seasonally.
>
> I wish more people would get the shits so the price would go down.
>
> -sw

What does it run? (No pun intended <g>)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:47:30 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Ok, guess I'll give it a "pass" if I ever see it for sale, thanks.<g>

> And another one bites the dust without even trying it.
>
> Fine by me.
>
> -sw

It'd have to be really inexpensive for me to dare it!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 22:55:06 -0700, Sqwertz said:

>> Responding to that I guess people eat all kinds of crap they wouldn't
>> otherwise. Better to eat pond scum that show "weakness".

> It's a perfectly edible fish. I tried after hearing several raves
> about this great "pond scum". So I tried it twice. Nothing bad
> happened. I didn't eat it to prove any sort of point; I never even
> mentioned it to anybody until now, butt****er.
>
> It's people like you and James that perpetuate foods' bad
> reputations. You ain't going to stop me.

It's just me, James, and the the laws of countries like Japan that
don't consider it a "food product". On the other hand It's people like
you that call others "pussy" and "butt****er" when we won't eat the
stuff you like. That sounds like a tedious dinner party, ne?

How about we eat what we want, you eat what you want and then you carp
about it?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-24 23:00:22 -0700, Sqwertz said:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:12:43 -0700, Gerry wrote:
>
>> It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
>> I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
>> completeness...

> Maybe after you try it, then you'll be equipped to remark on the
> fish and it's effects. Until then you're just making more of an
> ignorant, pompous ass of yourself.

If the chef won't eat it, I won't eat it. That's information I can use.

"A guy named Sqwertz says he didn't get the shits when he ate it."
That's not what I call a useful tip.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 9:38�pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

> Are you in Hawaii?

> Fishbase lists _ruvettus pretiosus_ as one of the species commonly
> called walu, but only in Hawaii.

Like you, I'm in northern CA (Santa Clara County). The restaurant is
in Portland, OR.

Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

I completely agree, Dan. We love White Tuna, as our fav sushi bar
calls it. That delicate flavor is just wonderful. I looked into
ordering it, but the shipping from Ca to the east coast was as much as
the fish. It is the favorite of all of the fish on the sashimi platter
we order.
I hope it's never banned in Japan or anywhere.
Nan
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:50:32 -0700, Gerry wrote:

> It's just me, James, and the the laws of countries like Japan that
> don't consider it a "food product". On the other hand It's people like
> you that call others "pussy" and "butt****er" when we won't eat the
> stuff you like. That sounds like a tedious dinner party, ne?

I'm calling you a butt****er because you haven't tried it, yet you
take an adamant stand against eating it - telling us you know what's
right and implying that everybody will get sick.

Meanwhile, there are about 5 of us who *have* tried it and posted
that there are no ill effects. The rest of you haven't.
SilverSpoon is the only one who claims he experienced any ill
effects, which are probably all psychosomatic (from anticipating
getting sick). He is in the minority. And you are just another
psychotic Chicken Little.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.sushi,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:59:15 -0700, Gerry wrote:

> On 2010-04-24 23:00:22 -0700, Sqwertz said:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:12:43 -0700, Gerry wrote:
>>
>>> It's also called "the shits", "the trots", and "the Hershey squirts".
>>> I think that last one is vulgar frankly, but in the interest of
>>> completeness...

>> Maybe after you try it, then you'll be equipped to remark on the
>> fish and it's effects. Until then you're just making more of an
>> ignorant, pompous ass of yourself.

> If the chef won't eat it, I won't eat it. That's information I can use.

There you go again.

> "A guy named Sqwertz says he didn't get the shits when he ate it."
> That's not what I call a useful tip.

Hey, butt****er. Count the number of people here who have posted
that they did not have any ill effects after eating it. And then
count the number of people who did try it and have had ill effects.

It's not just me. My experience is backed up by 4 other people.

Now, if you're done making an ass out of yourself, kindly **** off.
That is, unless you're going to claim that they are all my sock
puppets.

Go ahead - you can do it!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-25 08:43:33 -0700, Sqwertz said:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:50:32 -0700, Gerry wrote:
>
>> It's just me, James, and the the laws of countries like Japan that
>> don't consider it a "food product". On the other hand It's people like
>> you that call others "pussy" and "butt****er" when we won't eat the
>> stuff you like. That sounds like a tedious dinner party, ne?

> I'm calling you a butt****er because you haven't tried it, yet you
> take an adamant stand against eating it - telling us you know what's
> right...

You're a liar. I know what's right for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not
gonna defer my own judgement to a liar who also calls people pussy and
butt****er when they disagree.

> ...and implying that everybody will get sick.

Another lie. I neither said nor implied that.

> Meanwhile, there are about 5 of us who *have* tried it and posted
> that there are no ill effects.

Your anecdotal information is as good as any; I'll go with the
viewpoint of the chefs I trust. They won't eat it.

> SilverSpoon is the only one who claims he experienced any ill
> effects, which are probably all psychosomatic (from anticipating
> getting sick).

Of course it's psychosomatic--he disagreed! I think "butt****er" is
probably quicker for an ineffective counter, though.

> He is in the minority.

Your a bullshitter too. You have no idea what the majority/minority
response is to eating raw escolar. Personal insult did't work, lies
don't get traction; I don't think invention will help.

> And you are just another psychotic Chicken Little.

Pussies, butt****ers, psychosomatic neurotics, psychotics: Your
evaluation of the sports page must be a riot!
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.sushi

On 2010-04-25 08:48:57 -0700, Sqwertz said:

>> If the chef won't eat it, I won't eat it. That's information I can use.

> There you go again.

Yeah: Simple conclusions guide a lot of my simple decisions.

>> "A guy named Sqwertz says he didn't get the shits when he ate it."
>> That's not what I call a useful tip.

> Hey, butt****er. Count the number of people here who have posted
> that they did not have any ill effects after eating it. And then
> count the number of people who did try it and have had ill effects.

Share your gifted logic with cigarette smokers. I don't think usenet
posters is really the base I should use for my conclusions. After a
lifetime in their field, my favorite chefs trump five guys on usenet.
Even ten!

> It's not just me. My experience is backed up by 4 other people.

It's nice to know what you consider corroboration

> Now, if you're done making an ass out of yourself, kindly **** off.

It never fails to amaze me how much vitriol and angst some people can
generate about such picayune matters. I suppose you start shrieking and
collapse in a seizure when somebody doesn't like CheeseWhiz on their
French fries.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Escolar Mark Thorson General Cooking 23 03-06-2010 04:36 AM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 68 29-04-2010 04:44 PM
White Tuna (Escolar) Norman Leonski Sushi 46 05-05-2006 08:03 PM
ESCOLAR FISH WITH MANGO AND SHRIMP RAVIOLI yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:24 AM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 19-03-2005 12:22 AM