FoodBanter.com

-   -   Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/395916-favorite-cable-tv-chef.html)

Brian Anasta 22-04-2010 01:26 PM

Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

Hi Everyone,

Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
couple of hours.

Now, a few thoughts to ponder.

1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?

2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?

3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
with them?

Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)

Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Brian Anasta

ImStillMags 22-04-2010 03:34 PM

On Apr 22, 5:26*am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
> couple of hours.
>
> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>
> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>
> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>
> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
> with them?
>
> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
>
> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
entertaining.

Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
the shock value IMHO.

Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
lifestyles and traditions.

Goomba[_2_] 22-04-2010 03:48 PM

ImStillMags wrote:

> Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
> the shock value IMHO.

....and has he ever really been a chef? Eating strange things does not
make for being a chef.

Boron Elgar 22-04-2010 03:51 PM

Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef.

This may be true according to some criteria or comparisons, perhaps
new age or outre foaming sorts of things, but I had some really
fabulous meals at the places where he was chef in NYC. I loved them.
Very straightforward preps of basic, extremely high quality meats and
sides, excellent table breads, fine salads and desserts.

Personally, though, I think he can be quite an asshole.

Boron

brooklyn1 22-04-2010 04:52 PM

Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Apr 22, 5:26*am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
>> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
>> couple of hours.
>>
>> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>>
>> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
>> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>>
>> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>>
>> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
>> with them?
>>
>> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
>> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
>>
>> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Brian Anasta

>From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
>book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
>he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
>entertaining.
>
>Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
>the shock value IMHO.
>
>Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
>from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
>lifestyles and traditions.

Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

Nancy2 22-04-2010 05:03 PM

On Apr 22, 7:26*am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
> couple of hours.
>
> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>
> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>
> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>
> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
> with them?
>
> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
>
> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

Bourdain now and then - he's in love with his supercilious-sounding
pronouncements about everything he experiences, and I get tired of his
egotistical tone, but I can watch him now and then.

Zimmern isn't a chef, is he? He eats disgusting, weird stuff. I've
never watched anything with him in it except promos for his program.

In my area, they appear on the Travel Channel.

N.

pavane[_3_] 22-04-2010 05:59 PM

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
| On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
| > wrote:
|
| >On Apr 22, 5:26 am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
| >> Hi Everyone,
| >>
| >> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
| >> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
| >> couple of hours.
| >>
| >> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
| >>
| >> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
| >> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
| >>
| >> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
| >>
| >> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
| >> with them?
| >>
| >> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
| >> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
| >>
| >> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
| >>
| >> Kind Regards,
| >> Brian Anasta
| >
| >From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
| >book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
| >he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
| >entertaining.
| >
| >Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
| >the shock value IMHO.
| >
| >Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
| >from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
| >lifestyles and traditions.
|
| Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
| they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
| following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
| else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
| screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
| they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
| Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
| the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
| there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
| many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
| fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
| commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
| kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

Well yeah, but neither Chef works for FoodTV, and neither Chef does
any cooking on these shows, they are both travelogues.
Nice answer, though.

pavane

Van[_3_] 22-04-2010 06:07 PM

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
>>> with them?

> Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
> they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
> following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
> else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
> screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
> they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
> Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
> the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
> there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
> many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
> fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
> commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
> kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

In all due respect, neither Bourdain or Zimmern are on FoodTV I think
Bourdain used to be, but I've never seen a show with either of them actually
COOKING anything.

They are both currently on the Travel Channel, generally in foreign
countries sampling the local cuisine. Some looks like something I'd like to
try, and other stuff is really disgusting. (For me, no insects - dead or
alive - reptiles, rodents or pig anuses). The surroundings & local customs
of their travels is much more interesting to me.

As for the actual COOKING shows on FoodTV, I think you are spot-on. Rachael
Ray, I sure takes much longer than 30 minutes to create her 30-minute show.
The Emeril Live show must take about 3 hours, as you speculate. Maybe I'll
go down to the city one of these days to attend a taping. I'll report back
here the results.

Van

PS: We've got a couple of businesses here in Albany that specialize in
COMMERCIAL cookware for restaurants. It's NOT Le Creuset, or anything like
it.

Nancy2 22-04-2010 07:21 PM

On Apr 22, 10:52*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >On Apr 22, 5:26*am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,

> >> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
> >> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
> >> couple of hours.

> >> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.

> >> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
> >> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?

> >> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?

> >> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
> >> with them?

> >> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
> >> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)

> >> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

> >> Kind Regards,
> >> Brian Anasta

> >From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. * His
> >book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. *But
> >he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
> >entertaining.

> >Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. * He just eats disgusting things for
> >the shock value IMHO.

> >Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
> >from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
> >lifestyles and traditions.

> Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
> they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
> following a script. *Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
> else. *It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
> screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
> they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
> Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
> the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
> there 3 hours. *FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
> many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
> fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
> commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
> kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.- Hide quoted text -

Shel, try to keep up. ;-)

We're talking about two personalities on the TRAVEL channel, not Food
TV. In addition, I've watched Bourdain cook several times - actually
doing the cooking himself! - on his shows, not in a studio, not with
designer cookware, but out in the "field" using whatever is available
- sometimes at foreign sites that are primitive at best. It's obvious
you've never watched much.

N.

Nancy2 22-04-2010 07:22 PM

On Apr 22, 12:07*pm, "Van" > wrote:

> > Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
> > they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
> > following a script. *Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
> > else. *It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
> > screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
> > they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
> > Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
> > the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
> > there 3 hours. *FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
> > many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
> > fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
> > commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
> > kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

> In all due respect, neither Bourdain or Zimmern are on FoodTV *I think
> Bourdain used to be, but I've never seen a show with either of them actually
> COOKING anything.
>
> They are both currently on the Travel Channel, generally in foreign
> countries sampling the local cuisine. *Some looks like something I'd like to
> try, and other stuff is really disgusting. *(For me, no insects - dead or
> alive - reptiles, rodents or pig anuses). *The surroundings & local customs
> of their travels is much more interesting to me.
>
> As for the actual COOKING shows on FoodTV, I think you are spot-on. *Rachael
> Ray, I sure takes much longer than 30 minutes to create her 30-minute show.
> The Emeril Live show must take about 3 hours, as you speculate. *Maybe I'll
> go down to the city one of these days to attend a taping. *I'll report back
> here the results.
>
> Van
>
> PS: We've got a couple of businesses here in Albany that specialize in
> COMMERCIAL cookware for restaurants. *It's NOT Le Creuset, or anything like
> it.- Hide quoted text -

FYI, I've seen Bourdain cook several times - once in Italy, I believe,
when he did a family dinner, and once this season, but I forget
where. In addition, in some of the early shows, he also cooked -
doing the work himself.

N.

George[_1_] 23-04-2010 01:04 AM

On 4/22/2010 11:52 AM, brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 22, 5:26 am, Brian > wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
>>> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
>>> couple of hours.
>>>
>>> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>>>
>>> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
>>> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>>>
>>> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>>>
>>> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
>>> with them?
>>>
>>> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
>>> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
>>>
>>> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Brian Anasta

>> From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
>> book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
>> he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
>> entertaining.
>>
>> Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
>> the shock value IMHO.
>>
>> Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
>>from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
>> lifestyles and traditions.

> Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
> they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
> following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
> else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
> screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
> they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
> Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
> the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
> there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
> many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
> fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
> commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
> kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

You do know that the programs hosts under discussion are on the *Travel
Channel* ?

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] 23-04-2010 03:41 AM

Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

"Nancy2" > wrote

> Zimmern isn't a chef, is he? He eats disgusting, weird stuff. I've
> never watched anything with him in it except promos for his program.
>
> In my area, they appear on the Travel Channel.
>
> N.

His bio says he is
http://andrewzimmern.com/content/meet-andrew
but it does not give any particular credentials where he worked in a
restaurant.

Experiencing Food, Sharing Culture

Andrew Zimmern is a food writer, TV personality, chef, teacher and is
regarded as one of the most versatile and knowledgeable personalities in the
food world.

As the co-creator, host and contributing producer of Travel Channel's hit
series, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre
World, he travels the world, exploring the food in its own terroir, wherever
it's found. From restaurants to jungle markets, it's all about discovering
the authentic experience.

Bizarre Foods received high praise from The New York Times, The Washington
Post, Outside Magazine and other national publications. He has appeared on
Live with Regis and Kelly, NBC's Today show, the Food Network's Best Of and
Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Zimmern is also a columnist at Minneapolis-St. Paul Magazine and his writing
appears in numerous national publications including Food Arts, Restaurant
Business, Delta Sky Magazine and Bon Appetit.

Andrew has served as SuperTarget's meal adventure guide, sharing his passion
for ethnic foods with supermarket customers around the country. He is the
international spokesman for Procter and Gamble's Pepto-Bismol brand, Travel
Leaders (formerly Carlson Wagonlit Travel) and Elite Destination Homes.

Andrew's first book, The Bizarre Truth, was released from Broadway Books on
September 8, 2009.

Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] 23-04-2010 02:07 PM

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Apr 22, 5:26 am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
> couple of hours.
>
> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>
> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>
> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>
> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
> with them?
>
> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked :)
>
> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
entertaining.

Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
the shock value IMHO.

Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
lifestyles and traditions.

Bourdain is CIA trained, and worked his way up to head chef at Le Halles, in
NYC. Some of his better shows are when he teams up with Michael Ruhlman and
they face off in the kitchen, the best being both returning to the CIA to
'speak' and being put in a a training kitchen and letting the students at
them. Some of his shows are long winded and he can sound pompous ( I think
that's just his personality), but I usually learn something different about
where he was.

Zimmern is supposed to be a chef, he's originally from NYC, same as
Bourdain, a topic they discussed once on a crossover show, but his training
was never given. Last reference to his working outside of television was
that he was a Food Editor in Minnesota (no offense meant to Meeny-sotans,
around here). I don't really know what his credentials are.

Although Zimmern's show can be entertaining, you don't see that much prep
going into what he about to eat, and where Bourdain eats what the locals
eat, Zimmern seems to go for one specific part of the anatomy, his schtick,
if you don't mind. Whenever he shows up on the television my kids are apt
to say 'uh-oh, something's gonna lose it's balls tonight'....He could eat
without ever killing another animal for food, just give him a pair of
gelding tools.
-ginny

notbob 23-04-2010 02:48 PM

On 2010-04-23, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> without ever killing another animal for food, just give him a pair of
> gelding tools.

lol....

They both tend to get repetitious in that aspect. Tony's show always
seem to wind down to the commom denominator of street food
--preferably swine-- eaten while surrounded by everyday local Joe's
while drinking beer. What I do enjoy about Tony is he is very well
read and is always throwing out literary references. This, no doubt,
being why he's a pretty good writer, too.

I'll give Zimmern the nod for honesty. He's the only travel show host
I've ever seen openly admit he still can't choke down a durian. I've
never had durian, myself, but was on a hazmat team that responded to
what at first appeared to be a toxic gas leak that cleared the rather
large manufacturing floor of a major Silicon Valley company. It was
later confirmed someone had warmed up some frozen durian in the lunch
room microwave. Putrid rotting fish is the closest description I can
conjure up. ;)

nb

Nancy2 23-04-2010 05:19 PM

Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

> what at first appeared to be a toxic gas leak that cleared the rather
> large manufacturing floor of a major Silicon Valley company. *It was
> later confirmed someone had warmed up some frozen durian in the lunch
> room microwave. *Putrid rotting fish is the closest description I can
> conjure up. *;)
>
> nb *

I've never had the pleasure; where I am, we have gingko fruit - which
smells like vomit. The Asian students pick the whole ones up off the
sidewalk and cook them, I understand. They must taste better than
they smell.

N.