Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Strawberries and ?

Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 11:14*am, aem > wrote:
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. *Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. *Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. *I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. *I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. *Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. *I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. *Clotted cream? *Cointreau? * * *-aem

Why does "clotted cream" not sound very good?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

If there sweet enough - sour cream.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

I can't come up with anything better than good ole heavy cream.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:14:41 -0700, aem wrote:

> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

With cream (no added sugar). Love 'em.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

.. *I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. *Clotted cream? *Cointreau? * * *-aem

whole ones individually dipped into separate bowls of sour cream &
then into brown sugar!

harriet & critters in cool & pleasant azusa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:14:41 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
>market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
>discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
>strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
>themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
>because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
>of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
>people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
>tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

Grand Marnier works great in the dish below, but I've also used the
Grand Marnier more simply, just soaking a sour cream pound cake with
Grand Marnier and finishing like a regular strawberry shortcake
dessert.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Strawberry And Grand Marnier Sabayon Trifle

desserts

8 large egg yolks
1/2 cups + 2 T. sugar; or more
pinch salt
1/2 cup Grand Marnier; or other orange liquer
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup whipping cream; chilled
3 1 pint strawberries; hulled
2/3 12 oz. pound cake; store bought

Whisk yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in medium metal bowl. Whisk in
Grand Marnier and orange juice. Set bowl over pot of simmering water
(do not let bowl touch water). Using electric mixer, beat until
mixture is thick and thermometer registers 160F, about 7 mins. Place
bowl over larger bowl filled with ice and water. Whisk until sabayon
is cool.

Beat cream in another medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold
into sabayon in 2 additions. Coarsely chop strawberries with 2
tablespoons sugar in processor. Stir in additional sugar to taste, if
desired.

Spoon 1/2 cup strawberries onto bottom of 2 1/2 qt. glass bowl. Spoon
3/4 cup sabayon evenly over. Spoon 1 cup strawberries over cake. Spoon
1 cup sabayon over strawberries. Top with remaining pound cake. Spoon
remaining strawberries over pound cake. Spread remaining sabayon
evenly over strawberries. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or
overnight.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 8 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:14:41 -0700 (PDT):

> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the
> farmer's market and seem to be getting both better and
> cheaper. Following a discussion with a friend I recently
> googled for what people add to strawberries. Not to make a
> new dish but to enhance the berries themselves. I was
> expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper because
> that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder
> what people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier
> but haven't tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau?
> -aem

I like a small sprinkling of Kirsch and a little white sugar and I eat
them with vanilla ice-cream. That's the most!

Some people swear by a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar but I don't really
like that.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:50:44 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Grand Marnier works great in the dish below, but I've also used the
>Grand Marnier more simply, just soaking a sour cream pound cake with
>Grand Marnier and finishing like a regular strawberry shortcake
>dessert.
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Strawberry And Grand Marnier Sabayon Trifle

How would this work with a genoise? I have a recipe for a Strawberry
gateau, made with a genoise. I was thinking about it as the ending
for a special spring dinner, but this looks even better...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

Strawberries are great with sour cream and brown sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

Champagne macerated strawberries and shredded pineapple as topping for
vanilla ice cream "Fraises Bernhardt"
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2010 3:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Strawberries are great with sour cream and brown sugar.

Dave, I agree with you on the sour cream & brown sugar. It makes an
excellent fruit dip.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
>> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
>> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
>> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
>> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
>> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
>> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
>> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
>> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

> Strawberries are great with sour cream and brown sugar.

That is my favorite. It is hard for me to try any other casual
way to serve them.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

> I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau?

Here is a recipe for Francis Coulson's strawberry pots de crème, from
_Roast Chicken and Other Stories_ by Simon Hopkinson. I first tried
them at the Sharrow Bay Hotel in Ullswater in the Lake District many
years ago when both Francis Coulson and Brian Sack (no relation) were
still alive and well and running their hotel and restaurant. The pots
are not hard to make.

Victor

Francis Coulson's Strawberry Pots de Crème

225 g/8 oz strawberries, hulled
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 egg yolks
300 ml/1/2 pint double cream
1 1/2 tbsp Cointreau

Preheat the oven to 275°F/140°C/Gas Mark 1. Purée the strawberries in a
blender with the sugar and egg yolks. Pass through a fine sieve, then
stir in the cream and the Cointreau and mix well. Pour into individual
ramekins and cook in a bain-marie in the oven for about 1 hour. Check
from time to time as cooking times vary in different ovens; the texture
of this custard should be just set and slightly wobbly in the centre,
and the custards will carry on cooking a little in their own heat.
Leave to cool, then chill thoroughly for at least 6 hours. Serve with
cold double cream poured on top so that each time you take a spoonful,
the cream fills up the hole.
This is just as successful made with raspberries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

I am diabetic and do not add sugar (or even artificial sweeteners) to
anything. However, I love berries--especially strawberries--and that
satisfies my "sweet tooth." I often make yogurt cheese by straining it. In
just a couple of hours, the yogurt is thickened and and loses the "tart"
taste of some yogurt. It makes a great topping for strawberries, sometimes
combined with other berries such as blueberries and balckberries. Here is
the yogurt cheese maker I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Donvi...1888944&sr=8-1.
Works great.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

I had some German Icewein that had a stronger "honey" flavor than I like
(not being a honey fan) and it was delicious splashed over the berries.
I just can't recall if I had sweetened the berries before I thought of
using the icewein on them??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> If there sweet enough - sour cream.
>
> Dimitri

Have you ever tried slightly sweetened creme fraiche with berries?!!
To *die* for!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:45:53 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>We aren't buying any fresh strawberries until later in the season. We
>bought early ones from California and they have *all* been sour sour
>sour. And they rotted within a day of being brought home

I got some at Talin, and they were actually sweet. I don;t know how
long they would have been good, as I macerated them that night, and
ate them with Greek style yogurt.

This was a week or so ago. I looked this week and didn't see a price,
so I didn;t get any. But they did look riper than some I have seen
elsewhere.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

We aren't buying any fresh strawberries until later in the season. We
bought early ones from California and they have *all* been sour sour
sour. And they rotted within a day of being brought home

When we get decent strawberries, they are just served with
vanilla/sweetened whipped cream. Or else made into jam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:09:10 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:
>
>> If there sweet enough - sour cream.
>>
>> Dimitri

>Have you ever tried slightly sweetened creme fraiche with berries?!!
>To *die* for!

I totally agree.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/17/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough <janet.and.PIMPnet.co.uk> wrote:

> My favourite is, fresh whole strawberries with raspberry sauce.

That is absolutely DISGUSTING... doesn't get anymore TIAD!

There's good reason that there is no such thing as decent UK food...
they're all born with rectum mouth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:52:00 -0400, brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Janet Baraclough <janet.and.PIMPnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> My favourite is, fresh whole strawberries with raspberry sauce.

>That is absolutely DISGUSTING... doesn't get anymore TIAD!

If I remember correctly, this is a classic French dessert. I think I
have it in one of my books on classic French cooking, written by Craig
Claiborne...who had impeccable food credentials.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:01:12 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>How would this work with a genoise? I have a recipe for a Strawberry
>gateau, made with a genoise. I was thinking about it as the ending
>for a special spring dinner, but this looks even better...

Y'know, it should work brilliantly. Pound cake and a genoise are
similar, although the pound cake also uses baking powder. Can't see
how it would make any difference in the end. In fact, the genoise
might hold together even better than pound cake, IMHO.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:39:50 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>On 4/21/2010 3:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Strawberries are great with sour cream and brown sugar.

>Dave, I agree with you on the sour cream & brown sugar. It makes an
>excellent fruit dip.

I forgot about my favorite fruit dip - the strawberries that go with
it are usually the first to disappear:

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese; softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 lemon; zested/juiced
pineapple juice to taste

Mix it up, serve.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine replied to the newbie:

>>Janet Baraclough <janet.and.PIMPnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> My favourite is, fresh whole strawberries with raspberry sauce.

>> That is absolutely DISGUSTING... doesn't get anymore TIAD!

> If I remember correctly, this is a classic French dessert. I think I
> have it in one of my books on classic French cooking, written by Craig
> Claiborne...who had impeccable food credentials.

....as opposed to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz, who has *no* food
credentials, just an appetite for SPAM, olive loaf, and Vienna sausages (the
latter of which he prefers when they're attached to Cub Scouts).

For a recent special brunch, Lin and I had strawberries with moscato d'Asti.
I also like them with zabaglione or vanilla yogurt.

Of course, there are plenty of strawberry desserts, but I'm trying to keep
the spirit of the original post in this thread, which seemed like a quest
for a SIMPLE strawberry preparation, intended to emphasize the strawberries
themselves. (For example, when I make a strawberry tart, the filling is just
whipped cream cheese mixed with whipped cream, and the strawberries are
glazed with melted red-currant jelly, but I don't think that meets the
intent of the original post.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:36:16 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>...as opposed to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz, who has *no* food
>credentials, just an appetite for SPAM, olive loaf, and Vienna sausages (the
>latter of which he prefers when they're attached to Cub Scouts).

Oh stop it Bob. Sheldon is a person, just as you and I are. The fact
that sometimes you disagree with him is no reason to attack him. He
sometimes does have good knowledge, whether or not you think so.
ANY person, no matter who they are, has validity in my eyes. Even if
I totally disagree with them. It is just tiresome to read attacks all
the time and doesn't do a damn bit of good.

>For a recent special brunch, Lin and I had strawberries with moscato d'Asti.
>I also like them with zabaglione or vanilla yogurt.

I have had them like that...and they are so good. I had them in a
restaurant in Sacramento, like that...at Biba. They were heavenly.
I am working on a dessert with something like that...

>Of course, there are plenty of strawberry desserts, but I'm trying to keep
>the spirit of the original post in this thread, which seemed like a quest
>for a SIMPLE strawberry preparation, intended to emphasize the strawberries
>themselves. (For example, when I make a strawberry tart, the filling is just
>whipped cream cheese mixed with whipped cream, and the strawberries are
>glazed with melted red-currant jelly, but I don't think that meets the
>intent of the original post.)

Did I get under your skin, Bob? LOL.

That sounds good too...

Christine

>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:14:41 -0700 (PDT), aem > wrote:

>.... Following a
>discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
>strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
>themselves.... I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
>tried it yet. .... Cointreau?

I regularly use a few drops of any orange-flavored liquor. hese days it happens
to be Patron Citronge -- delicious.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

>Strawberries are always a demanding and colorful concentric ring around, on
>a fruit pizza!!!

A fruit pizza sounds awfully ***... however a strawberry pizza has to
be lezbo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> ...as opposed to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz, who has *no*
>> food credentials, just an appetite for SPAM, olive loaf, and Vienna
>> sausages (the latter of which he prefers when they're attached to Cub
>> Scouts).

> Oh stop it Bob. Sheldon is a person, just as you and I are.

No, clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz is a complete shithead, a
complete ignoramus, and at times an anile demented dotard with symptoms of
schizophrenia. I needle him at will, because nearly every post he makes
displays ignorance so appalling that it *would* be funny if his posts
weren't so malicious.

> The fact that sometimes you disagree with him is no reason to attack him.

Oh, I disagree with plenty of people here, but I don't attack them all. I
disagree with you on the point quoted above, but I'm not attacking you for
it, am I? Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz deserves scorn and
ridicule at every turn because -- and I repeat -- he is a complete shithead.

> He sometimes does have good knowledge, whether or not you think so.

So how many of clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz's "TIAD" judgments
do you agree with? Fifty percent? Twenty percent? NEVER?

> ANY person, no matter who they are, has validity in my eyes. Even if
> I totally disagree with them. It is just tiresome to read attacks all
> the time and doesn't do a damn bit of good.

You're entitled to your values. I completely disagree with your premise that
everybody deserves respect. Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz
deserves only shit heaped on his filthy head. Hence my characterization of
him as "shithead."

>> Of course, there are plenty of strawberry desserts, but I'm trying to
>> keep the spirit of the original post in this thread, which seemed like a
>> quest for a SIMPLE strawberry preparation, intended to emphasize the
>> strawberries themselves. (For example, when I make a strawberry tart, the
>> filling is just whipped cream cheese mixed with whipped cream, and the
>> strawberries are glazed with melted red-currant jelly, but I don't think
>> that meets the intent of the original post.)

> Did I get under your skin, Bob? LOL.
>
> That sounds good too...

You mean with the simplicity thing? No, what I wrote was in answer to the
OP. I still like to complicate. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>> Strawberries are great with sour cream and brown sugar.

> That is my favorite. It is hard for me to try any other casual way to
> serve them.

Casual is the way to do strawberries. IMO, they don't need much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
| On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:36:16 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
| > wrote:
|

| >...as opposed to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz, who has *no* food
| >credentials, just an appetite for SPAM, olive loaf, and Vienna sausages (the
| >latter of which he prefers when they're attached to Cub Scouts).
|
| Oh stop it Bob. Sheldon is a person, just as you and I are. The fact
| that sometimes you disagree with him is no reason to attack him. He
| sometimes does have good knowledge, whether or not you think so.
| ANY person, no matter who they are, has validity in my eyes. Even if
| I totally disagree with them. It is just tiresome to read attacks all
| the time and doesn't do a damn bit of good.

Your concern is pathetic, Christine, and please tell us how this
spewer of the following garbage is worthy of any consideration:

"Only a terminally ill TIADer freezes fresh caught trout. If you
weren't such a mosquito brained imbecile you'd have cooked that trout
for breakfast... you make it very difficult to believe you ever caught
a trout let alone ate one. I don't see any trout, you are a LIAR! You
have trout like you have a garden, you are a LYING SON OF OF A
BITCH... that's what that B stands for, BITCH... LYING BITCH! No way
are you a man, LIAR!!! Now get your LYING DUMB ASS OFF OF USENET...
you useless piece of shit... crawl under a rock and DIE!"

Is this really the "person" you are claiming has "validity?" Do you really
think we should encourage, much less validate these vile rantings? Are
these the moral teachings you would want your family to embrace? Is this
the tone and value that you want to read in rfc every day? Are you this low?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 21, 11:14 am, aem > wrote:
> Strawberries have been showing up at the supermarket and the farmer's
> market and seem to be getting both better and cheaper. Following a
> discussion with a friend I recently googled for what people add to
> strawberries. Not to make a new dish but to enhance the berries
> themselves. I was expecting sugar or balsamic vinegar or black pepper
> because that's what I've used in the past. I found a much wider range
> of things that I had never thought of before. Made me wonder what
> people's favorites are. I like the sound of gran marnier but haven't
> tried it yet. Clotted cream? Cointreau? -aem

Okay, the farmer's market is tomorrow; someone will have good ripe
ones. Now on the shopping list in preparation for the strawberries:
cream, sour cream, brown sugar, sour cream pound cake. Already have
the gran marnier. Thanks for the interesting replies. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:40:03 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

>Is this really the "person" you are claiming has "validity?" Do you really
>think we should encourage, much less validate these vile rantings? Are
>these the moral teachings you would want your family to embrace? Is this
>the tone and value that you want to read in rfc every day? Are you this low?
>
>pavane

Yes. That is his opinion... You are free to ignore him, or killfile
him.... I never said encourage him...or embrace what he says... Just
realize that this is his opinion..and let it go.

As Charlotte suggested somewhere else..you all are letting him live in
your head.

He has given condolences and support to folks going through rough
times..I suppose you hold that against him? Sometimes he has good
advice..many times I don't agree with him. But he has the right just
as anyone else does..to express his opinion.

Sometimes I agree with his opinions..many times I disagree with him.
Same with other folks. But I am not going to condemn him or anyone
else...

That old saying...There but for the grace of God, go I...comes to
mind.

And I personally don't want to treat anyone the way that you all treat
him. Ever. The old thing..Do unto others.....

Same with anyone. If I don't like them..or can't stand them..there is
such a thing as a killfile.

That signature Barb used to have...really resonates with me... What
you say about someone else, says more about you than it does about
them...

Sorry..I am getting off my soapbox now.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Okay, the farmer's market is tomorrow; someone will have good ripe
> ones. Now on the shopping list in preparation for the strawberries:
> cream, sour cream, brown sugar, sour cream pound cake. Already have
> the gran marnier. Thanks for the interesting replies. -aem

Cool! We've been getting fresh, organic berries coming up from the
central coast/Watsonville area for several weeks now. However, the local
stands should be getting their crops out pretty soon. We've got this one
little place barely a mile away we look forward to opening. I just like
eating them nekkid!

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:01:30 -0700, Lin
> wrote:

>Cool! We've been getting fresh, organic berries coming up from the
>central coast/Watsonville area for several weeks now. However, the local
>stands should be getting their crops out pretty soon. We've got this one
>little place barely a mile away we look forward to opening. I just like
>eating them nekkid!
>
>--Lin

Can I say I hate you? Just joking. I am so very jealous...

But it may change...soon. I can't say anything yet...And I don't want
to, cause I am afeard of jinxing it....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
| On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:40:03 -0400, "pavane"
| > wrote:
|
| >Is this really the "person" you are claiming has "validity?" Do you really
| >think we should encourage, much less validate these vile rantings? Are
| >these the moral teachings you would want your family to embrace? Is this
| >the tone and value that you want to read in rfc every day? Are you this low?
| >
| >pavane
|
| Yes. That is his opinion... You are free to ignore him, or killfile
| him.... I never said encourage him...or embrace what he says... Just
| realize that this is his opinion..and let it go.
|
| As Charlotte suggested somewhere else..you all are letting him live in
| your head.
|
| He has given condolences and support to folks going through rough
| times..I suppose you hold that against him? Sometimes he has good
| advice..many times I don't agree with him. But he has the right just
| as anyone else does..to express his opinion.
|
| Sometimes I agree with his opinions..many times I disagree with him.
| Same with other folks. But I am not going to condemn him or anyone
| else...
|
| That old saying...There but for the grace of God, go I...comes to
| mind.
|
| And I personally don't want to treat anyone the way that you all treat
| him. Ever. The old thing..Do unto others.....
|
| Same with anyone. If I don't like them..or can't stand them..there is
| such a thing as a killfile.
|
| That signature Barb used to have...really resonates with me... What
| you say about someone else, says more about you than it does about
| them...
|

| Sorry..I am getting off my soapbox now.
|
| Christine

Thank you. There are certain boundaries in normal discourse, certain
limits to criticism, ridicule, attack, insolence and disdain. We are a
civilized society and do not fling insolence against others. We have
a responsibility to ourselves and to others to oppose and deny validity
to those who do, those who fling the basest of insults against others
who have not at all deserved them. If you cannot see how your sanction
of Sheldon's viciousness is ill-served, I really am sorry for you and
hope that you never are in the position of determining whether an
anti-social psychopath has the right to yell "fire" in the crowded
theatre. It is a pity that you are inadvertently an enabler of this behavior.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:04:38 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

It is a pity that you are inadvertently an enabler of this behavior.

I am an enabler of the behavior of someone who expresses sympathy for
those undergoing hard times? Who has a great sense of beauty? ANd
who expresses kindness in times when you least expect it?

I am not an enabler. As I mentioned..I will not agree with him on a
lot of things. But that doesn't mean I have to attack him or
anyone..for what they believe. I can disagree with them.and I do
disagree with him on a lot of thing. Same with a lot of folks here.

But you don;t see me attacking them, if I can possibly help it. Why
should I? They aren't going to change... And I can expend my energy on
much more worthwhile things.

NO, I don;t condone a lot of what Sheldon and some other folks
espouse. But me attacking them will not help anything..and they won't
change cause I attack them. If I disagree with them, and if I have
things to back up what I say, then I will publicly voice my
disagreement. It still won't change them...more than likely.

But you can't let folks live in your head. They own you then..and have
power over you. So when they voice something..they can hit you where
you live..and where you think....

Sheldon has no power over me... I listen to him when he has something
valuable to say, and sometimes he does. Sometimes he jokes..and I
have found myself looking for the joke in his posts, as Aem says he
has.. All of you that let him live in your head...are ignoring
that...and are ignoring the good in him. And it is there, whether or
not you want to acknowledge it.

Many times I disagree with him and others. I am not taking it
personally, and I will rebut whatever he and the others have to say,
with cites, if I can. Otherwise, I just ignore his rants, and the
same with others. What good does it do, to rail against them here?
Have you seen folks change cause someone rails against them?

I am not condoning anything here..and most of all, attacking someone
cause of what they say or believe. As far as I know..everyone here is
human..and subject to human frailties. Anyone of us could be a
Sheldon...whether or not we want to honestly look at it. And if
people decide to attack someone cause they are vile in their opinion ,
they are acting just the same.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> As far as I know..everyone here is human..and subject to human frailties.

Except for that guy who says he's immortal...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:42:33 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Christine wrote:
>
>> As far as I know..everyone here is human..and subject to human frailties.

>Except for that guy who says he's immortal...
>
>Bob

You mean I am not immortal???????

Damn..they should have told me earlier....maybe I would have drunk
less...or not smoked the stuff I did..or eaten all the bad things for
me that I did...or continue to do so.. Or maybe I would be good and
not eat foie gras... Naw..I will continue to be evil...and
immortal..LOL.

Christine

Strawberries Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 14 13-06-2010 12:57 AM
Strawberries+Gin=Yum mixr General 0 27-08-2009 03:12 PM
Strawberries Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 12-02-2009 02:55 PM