Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Imported Vegetables (not from Mexico)

Our grocery stores in Texas (HEB and Central Market) have their
store own branded line of frozen vegetable melodies in sauces (and
some meats/seafood). They're quite reasonably priced and tasty.

Since I'm a label reader, I've noticed that all of them come from
far-away places. The broccoli in cheese sauce and romanesco in
white sauce both come from Belgium ($1.49 ea). The roasted tomato
and vegetable mix and the roasted red and yellow peppers from Spain
($1.99). Haricot wertz and yellow from Argentina ($1.49). Parisian
carrots from France ($1.69) The mussels in butter wine sauce with 3
French bread demi-baguettes from France.

I hate cooked carrots but love those parisian carrots. And that
French bread is probably the best I've ever had (you thaw for 5
minutes then reheat it for 3 minutes in the oven). And where can
you buy a pound of red and green peppers, seeded and roasted for $2?
The broccoli has more taste - almost grassy. And the salt content
of the sauced vegetables is noticeably lower than any American made
conterparts.

Does anybody else have a similar branded line? So how do they import
these things so cheaply? I thought Mexico was the enemy when it
come to these kinds of products? I'm beginning to suspect it's
America and it's corporations that are the real enemy. The run (and
ruin) the country.

I love my grocery store(s). They're a privately held company that
doesn't have to answer to any greedy shareholders. They have great
prices, and they are a staunch supporter of many local charities and
events. They are the main sponsor of the biggest, privately
funded(*) free Thanksgiving dinner in America for one, plus hundreds
of other local events.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I love my grocery store(s). They're a privately held company that
> doesn't have to answer to any greedy shareholders. They have great
> prices, and they are a staunch supporter of many local charities and
> events. They are the main sponsor of the biggest, privately
> funded(*) free Thanksgiving dinner in America for one, plus hundreds
> of other local events.
>
> -sw

I totally agree! They heavily support the local food banks, donate to
Wildlife Rescue Inc. in Kendalia, have really good sales weekly and
always have decent food priced affordably. They also always have
excellent fresh produce. They also cut a lot of their own meat fresh.

Wal-mart fired all of their meat cutters when they tried to unionize due
to unfair employment practices. Now all their meat comes pre-packaged
and saline injected.

And I've been shopping there for over 20 years and still see some of the
same faces. The employees seem to stay happy.

Great fresh baked goods too. Many are baked in store so are always very
fresh, sometimes still hot if you get there early enough. The big one
here in town even makes fresh tortillas.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Our grocery stores in Texas (HEB and Central Market) have their
> store own branded line of frozen vegetable melodies in sauces (and

> -sw

Do they sing a medley of those melodies?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:52:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Our grocery stores in Texas (HEB and Central Market) have their
>> store own branded line of frozen vegetable melodies in sauces (and

> Do they sing a medley of those melodies?

Are you making fun of the dixlesic or did you have something
constructive to add to this?

<grumble, grumble>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:00:57 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:52:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Our grocery stores in Texas (HEB and Central Market) have their
>>> store own branded line of frozen vegetable melodies in sauces (and

>> Do they sing a medley of those melodies?

> Are you making fun of the dixlesic or did you have something
> constructive to add to this?
>
> <grumble, grumble>
>
> -sw

i'd say more a malapropist than a dyslexic.

your pal,
rev. spooner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:52:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> Our grocery stores in Texas (HEB and Central Market) have their
> >> store own branded line of frozen vegetable melodies in sauces (and

> > Do they sing a medley of those melodies?

> Are you making fun of the dixlesic or did you have something
> constructive to add to this?
>
> <grumble, grumble>
>
> -sw

Yes.
No.
<grouse grouse>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-11-2010

Food imported to US from Chile [email protected] General Cooking 8 01-03-2010 06:06 PM
Imported Beer in New Hampshire K Beer 3 29-05-2006 06:45 PM
US vs imported Lamb Daisy General Cooking 1 27-12-2005 11:49 PM
Surprise---US Mad Cow was imported from Cananda Minnime General Cooking 9 04-01-2004 07:21 PM
Mexico - Is Mexico City a good destination for food? Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 0 21-10-2003 06:20 PM