Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Camembert

I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi
last week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert
tonight and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it
tastes kind of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this
stuff? Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot
crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in
something (hot noodles.)

Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just
wonder how they got that papery effect.

Bob, the Philistine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default and Aldi, Camembert

zxcvbob wrote:

> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi
> last week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert
> tonight and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it
> tastes kind of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this
> stuff? Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot
> crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in
> something (hot noodles.)
>
> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just
> wonder how they got that papery effect.
>
> Bob, the Philistine

Did you like these chesses? Would you buy these cheeses again from
Aldi? My experience with Aldi is they're good for some things but not
so great for others. For example, I won't buy their liquid dish soap
again -- too watery. Their limited choice of produce is actually quite
good. I don't buy their meat products, though. I tried once and wasn't
a happy camper, so to speak. But, the frozen breaded/fried shimp is
darn right tasty the way Spouse bakes those. The personal skin care and
makeup products aren't shabby either

Sky, who likes Aldi!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi
>> last week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert
>> tonight and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it
>> tastes kind of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this
>> stuff? Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot
>> crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in
>> something (hot noodles.)
>>
>> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
>> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
>> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
>> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just
>> wonder how they got that papery effect.
>>
>> Bob, the Philistine

> Did you like these chesses? Would you buy these cheeses again from
> Aldi? My experience with Aldi is they're good for some things but not
> so great for others. For example, I won't buy their liquid dish soap
> again -- too watery. Their limited choice of produce is actually quite
> good. I don't buy their meat products, though. I tried once and wasn't
> a happy camper, so to speak. But, the frozen breaded/fried shimp is
> darn right tasty the way Spouse bakes those. The personal skin care and
> makeup products aren't shabby either
>
> Sky, who likes Aldi!

I like all the other Aldi cheeses I've tried. The Havarti with
jalapeños is really good although I wish it was hotter, and the
sharp cheddar is a steal at $3 per pound.

I haven't made up my mind about these yet.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi > last
>week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert > tonight
>and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it > tastes kind of
>like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this stuff? Obviously not
>cold :-) At room temperature with some hot > crusty bread? Or maybe melt
>it and use it in place of butter in > something (hot noodles.)
>
> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was >
> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind >
> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just > wonder
> how they got that papery effect.

Leave it at room temperature to become ripe and then eat it any way you
like. Hot bread is not necessary, but good bread, fruit slices-- apple,
pear-- some bake it with butter and almond slices. There's loads of info
online.
The crust is the result of what is called in Italy "brinato" and is edible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote
> Sky, who likes Aldi!

Trust me on this, their cheeses are excellent. ALL of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi
> last week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert
> tonight and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it
> tastes kind of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this
> stuff? Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot
> crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in
> something (hot noodles.)

This was my mom's #1 favorite cheese. :-)
She'd just eat it spread on crispy crackers or hot crusty bread.
Have it with a little good wine.

> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just
> wonder how they got that papery effect.
>
> Bob, the Philistine

Fungus. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Sky" > wrote
>> Sky, who likes Aldi!

> Trust me on this, their cheeses are excellent. ALL of them.

I've been happy with the cheeses as well. I don't get their flyers so I
didn't know about the brie and camembert!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PLucas@home" > wrote in
:

> 4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi
>>>last week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert
>>>tonight and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it
>>>tastes kind of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this
>>>stuff? Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot
>>>crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in
>>>something (hot noodles.)
>>>
>>>Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
>>>wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
>>>doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
>>>significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just
>>>wonder how they got that papery effect.
>>>
>>>Bob, the Philistine

>> It's wonderful with fruit. Warmed until gooey on hard crusty bread
>> with some wine and fruit.
>> Mmm Camembert is on my shopping list now
>>

> A Triple Brie would be much nicer ;-)
>

> Or even a Blue Brie.
>
> Do you get Castello Cheese over there?
>

> http://www.castellocheese.com/displa...t.php?lang=INT
>

> Their White and their Blue are luuuuuurvely.

Meant to ask...... do you get much in the way of Aussie cheese over there?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi last
> week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert tonight
> and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it tastes kind of
> like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this stuff? Obviously
> not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot crusty bread? Or maybe
> melt it and use it in place of butter in something (hot noodles.)

Camembert Frit

Cut off the rind of a Camembert then slice the cheese into long diamond
shapes.

Sprinkle them with Cayenne, pass twice through egg and bread crumbs then
deep fry in hot fat.

Alternatively add a small dice of the Camembert to cooked, hot macaroni
with some grated nutmeg.

A chicken liver ravioli made with the camembert and cooked, squeezed and
chopped spinach seasoned with a bit of nutmeg, s & p, and a pinch of
basil and/or a bit of mashed anchovy is very good.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message ...
| pavane wrote:
| > "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
| > | On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:04:38 -0500, zxcvbob > wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | BINGO!
| > |
| > | Or with some fruit and charcuterie and maybe a nice Gruner Veltliner ...
| >
| > I'd go with a nice Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, or my current goes-
| > with-everything favorite El Chaparral de Vega Sindoa, which is a
| > lovely food-friendly Spanish Grenache...for only about $12.
| >
| > pavane
| >

| How would it hold up against a double pale ale? (very hoppy, heavy,
| and 7.2% ABV or higher -- I have some that go up to 11.5%) Would the
| beer totally overwhelm the cheese?
|
| Bob

I would have to try it about 6 or 8 times to be sure, but I think
it would be a pretty good combination. Maybe 10 times...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PLucas@home" > wrote in message
| "PLucas@home" > wrote in
| :
|
| > koko > wrote in
| > 4ax.com:

| >> It's wonderful with fruit. Warmed until gooey on hard crusty bread
| >> with some wine and fruit.
| >> Mmm Camembert is on my shopping list now
| >>

| > A Triple Brie would be much nicer ;-)
| >

| > Or even a Blue Brie.
| >
| > Do you get Castello Cheese over there?
| >

| > http://www.castellocheese.com/displa...t.php?lang=INT
| >

| > Their White and their Blue are luuuuuurvely.
| >

| Meant to ask...... do you get much in the way of Aussie cheese over there?

Primarily Roaring Forties Blue, at Whole Foods we also carried
a very fine sharp english style cheddar, and once got hold of
a brie-like cheese, name is completely forgotten. Good stuff.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 14:40:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> It's wonderful with fruit. Warmed until gooey on hard crusty bread
>> with some wine and fruit.
>> Mmm Camembert is on my shopping list now
>>

>It is delicious breaded and deep fried, served with strawberry jam.

Oh_my_gosh_does that sound wonderful

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/08/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi last week
> because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert tonight and
> tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it tastes kind of like
> cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this stuff? Obviously not cold
> :-) At room temperature with some hot crusty bread? Or maybe melt it and
> use it in place of butter in something (hot noodles.)
>
> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was wrapped
> with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind doesn't peel
> off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste significantly
> stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just wonder how they got that
> papery effect.
>
> Bob, the Philistine

Cheeseburger, with sautéed mushrooms. Pedestrian, perhaps, but it sure does
taste good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PLucas@home" > wrote

>> Mmm Camembert is on my shopping list now

> A Triple Brie would be much nicer ;-)

Brie, comparable to Camembert? We certainly don't think so. Brie is a
comparative lightweight. Now Epoisses or Livarot ...

Especially with a nice earthy Cahors ...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"news" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sky" > wrote
>>> Sky, who likes Aldi!

>> Trust me on this, their cheeses are excellent. ALL of them.

> I've been happy with the cheeses as well. I don't get their flyers so I
> didn't know about the brie and camembert!

I don't get the flyer, but I do go a few times a month. I guess we have one
of the larger Aldi's here, as people in other places tell me theirs don't
have nearly the selection ours does. Their cheese are more European than
American in some ways. And always half the price of the same or lesser
quality elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst > wrote in
:

> "PLucas@home" > wrote
>
>>> Mmm Camembert is on my shopping list now

> > A Triple Brie would be much nicer ;-)

> Brie, comparable to Camembert? We certainly don't think so. Brie is a
> comparative lightweight.

You obviously haven't tried an Australian Brie.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi last
>> week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert tonight
>> and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it tastes kind
>> of like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this stuff?
>> Obviously not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot crusty
>> bread? Or maybe melt it and use it in place of butter in something
>> (hot noodles.)
>>
>> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
>> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
>> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
>> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just wonder
>> how they got that papery effect.
>>
>> Bob, the Philistine

> Cheeseburger, with sautéed mushrooms. Pedestrian, perhaps, but it sure
> does taste good!

I think maybe a grilled Camembert sandwich would be nice. I have some
whole wheat bread that's not too severe for sandwiches (actually it's
pretty good.)

Try bleu cheese on a cheeseburger sometime.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> Paco wrote:
>
> > Cheeseburger, with sautéed mushrooms. Pedestrian, perhaps, but it sure
> > does taste good!

> Try bleu cheese on a cheeseburger sometime.
>
> Bob

Then there's always the optional bacon to go with the bleu cheese
burger, on a toasted sesame bun, of course! Maybe even some caramelized
onion slices/slivers

Sky, who'll grill some burgers this afternoon

P.S. Dang it, I'm out of bleu cheese =:/

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Paco wrote:
>>

>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I bought some little wheels of Camembert and Brie cheese at Aldi last
>>> week because they were on sale for $3. I opened the Camembert tonight
>>> and tried a little of it. The fat content is so high it tastes kind of
>>> like cheesy butter. What's the best way to eat this stuff? Obviously
>>> not cold :-) At room temperature with some hot crusty bread? Or maybe
>>> melt it and use it in place of butter in something (hot noodles.)
>>>
>>> Also, what kind of rind does it have? It almost looks like it was
>>> wrapped with tissue paper that then partially dissolved. The rind
>>> doesn't peel off, like paper would, and is edible. It doesn't taste
>>> significantly stronger than the interior of the cheese. I just wonder
>>> how they got that papery effect.
>>>
>>> Bob, the Philistine

>> Cheeseburger, with sautéed mushrooms. Pedestrian, perhaps, but it sure
>> does taste good!

> I think maybe a grilled Camembert sandwich would be nice. I have some
> whole wheat bread that's not too severe for sandwiches (actually it's
> pretty good.)
>
> Try bleu cheese on a cheeseburger sometime.
>
> Bob

Many a time! Excellent, especially with a slice of home-grown tomato, the
kind that has flavor, not the supermarket shipping tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:45:53 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>Cut off the rind of a Camembert then slice the cheese into long diamond
>shapes.
>
>Sprinkle them with Cayenne, pass twice through egg and bread crumbs then
>deep fry in hot fat.

Have you tried that? I can't imagine how a little egg and bread
crumbs will keep hot Camembert in tact. You need rind for that.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Camembert gtr General Cooking 39 05-02-2013 02:58 AM
Camembert Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] General Cooking 0 10-04-2010 07:53 PM
Pork with Camembert Jen[_5_] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2008 01:22 AM
Brie and Camembert in the US? Sandy General Cooking 14 09-03-2006 05:24 AM