FoodBanter.com

-   -   Shaker (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/395395-shaker.html)

Melba's Jammin' 05-04-2010 12:17 AM

Shaker

Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Sqwertz 05-04-2010 01:32 AM

Shaker

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:17:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

Wouldn't an small-medium earthquake aid digestion?

-sw

Dimitri 05-04-2010 01:38 AM

Shaker

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Looks to be OK so far. Maybe Koko had a cake fall if it was in the oven :-)

Dimitri

rec.food.baking 05-04-2010 04:45 AM

Shaker

On Apr 4, 4:17*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Updated 4-2-2010

Was there an earthquake? Here in my SoCal High Desert area nothing
was noticed....Picky

Serene Vannoy 05-04-2010 06:45 AM

Shaker

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

It was in Baja, but they felt it at my mom's (she lives in far-southern
San Diego county, almost to the Mexican border). The cats were very
scared; my foster sister less so, but a bit. My mom was in a moving car,
so she didn't feel it.

A co-worker's dad lives in Baja, and some of his windows cracked, but
he's otherwise okay.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their

brooklyn1 05-04-2010 02:17 PM

Shaker

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

And I read this thread as "Shankar".

Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] 06-04-2010 12:33 AM

Shaker

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:17:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

We had dinner a while after the shaker, but it was the strongest one
I've experienced since moving to SoCal in 2001. I was in my home
office and the 7' bookcases moved enough that I was afraid they were
going to fall over. Coincidentally, since we moved into the new house
3 weeks ago, I have been systematically putting earthquake putty on
and under some of my more tippy and vulnerable pieces. We didn't get
enough of a shake to put it to the test, but I was glad I'd done it.

This one was quite a roller, Instead of the quick shake we get from
time to time, this one went on for a good minute or so, which doesn't
sound long unless you're living through it. It was also a lot
stronger. The hanging lamps were swaying hard, floor lamps wobbling
and it is a really weird feeling, almost as if you're on a boat in a
mild chop.

God, I miss Colorado...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

gloria.p 06-04-2010 01:35 AM

Shaker

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> God, I miss Colorado...

Really? The CO mts. are forecast to receive
12-18 inches of snow between tonight and Wednesday morning.
The foothills will get 6-12 inches.

I'd have the bookcases screwed to the walls if I were you.

gloria p

The Cook 06-04-2010 12:42 PM

Shaker

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:33:27 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:17:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

>We had dinner a while after the shaker, but it was the strongest one
>I've experienced since moving to SoCal in 2001. I was in my home
>office and the 7' bookcases moved enough that I was afraid they were
>going to fall over. Coincidentally, since we moved into the new house
>3 weeks ago, I have been systematically putting earthquake putty on
>and under some of my more tippy and vulnerable pieces. We didn't get
>enough of a shake to put it to the test, but I was glad I'd done it.
>
>This one was quite a roller, Instead of the quick shake we get from
>time to time, this one went on for a good minute or so, which doesn't
>sound long unless you're living through it. It was also a lot
>stronger. The hanging lamps were swaying hard, floor lamps wobbling
>and it is a really weird feeling, almost as if you're on a boat in a
>mild chop.
>
>God, I miss Colorado...

Why? When I was there in 1967 there was an earthquake. I do not know
exactly where the epicenter was but in a second floor apartment in
Aurora, I felt the tremor.
--
Susan N.

Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] 07-04-2010 01:18 AM

Shaker

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:35:28 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>

>> God, I miss Colorado...

>Really? The CO mts. are forecast to receive
>12-18 inches of snow between tonight and Wednesday morning.
>The foothills will get 6-12 inches.

That's right, rub it in. I ski and the skiing they have out here in
SoCal is lame.

>I'd have the bookcases screwed to the walls if I were you.

A good shaker would laugh at screws in the walls :-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

koko 07-04-2010 05:17 AM

Shaker

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:17:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

We are fine, thank you for asking.
A little unnerved with all the aftershocks but are faring much better
than those in Calexico, Ca and Mexicali, Mexico, about 60 miles east
of us. It's a miracle that no more than two lives were lost. I feel
for their families.
From what I've heard most of the damage on the U.S. side was to the
older 1930's and 50's buildings.
At last report I heard there were 25,000 homeless in Mexicali, Mexico.
Mexicali has a population of about 2 million.

This shows the awesome power of the quake. It was twice as strong as
the one that hit Haiti.

Click on the "see more photos of the shaking mountians"
http://tinyurl.com/ydb94hx

koko a whole lot of shakin' goin' on.
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 03/28/10

PLucas@home 07-04-2010 05:45 AM

Shaker

koko > wrote in news:v51or5leo97mklcdjl500tmg0kq1cs88k1@
4ax.com:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:17:12 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>Did that earthquake in SoCal disturb anyone's Easter meal?

> We are fine, thank you for asking.
> A little unnerved with all the aftershocks but are faring much better
> than those in Calexico, Ca and Mexicali, Mexico, about 60 miles east
> of us. It's a miracle that no more than two lives were lost. I feel
> for their families.
> From what I've heard most of the damage on the U.S. side was to the
> older 1930's and 50's buildings.
> At last report I heard there were 25,000 homeless in Mexicali, Mexico.
> Mexicali has a population of about 2 million.
>
> This shows the awesome power of the quake. It was twice as strong as
> the one that hit Haiti.

And at 7.2, a tad stronger than the 6.7 Northridge quake..... which I
thought was bad enough.

> Click on the "see more photos of the shaking mountians"
> http://tinyurl.com/ydb94hx

Those 'smoking mountain' shots are amazing!! Right place, right time.

> koko a whole lot of shakin' goin' on.
> --

Not a time to be making souffle's ;-)

Glad to hear you aren't too badly affected by them.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.