Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Strawberry Freezer Jam

My grandmother used to make freezer jam. She didn't consider herself
a jam maker, but she followed the directions in the box and it was
always wonderful. The berry flavor knocked on every taste bud to say
Hello.

Doing an internet search (is there any other kind these days?), I see
that in this day and age of heightened nutritional awareness, Sure
Jell has a low sugar recipe. I plan to try it soon.

Strawberry Freezer Jam
http://www.kraftrecipes.com

Makes 5 containers or 72 servings, 1 Tbsp. each

prep time: 30 min
total time: 24 hr 30 min

What you need

4 cups prepared fruit (buy about 4 pt. fully ripe strawberries)
3 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
1 box SURE.JELL For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Premium Fruit
Pectin
1 cup water

Make It

RINSE clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry
thoroughly.

CRUSH strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure exactly 4
cups crushed strawberries into large bowl.

MIX sugar and pectin in large saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to boil
on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Remove from heat. Add strawberries; stir 1 minute or until well
blended.

FILL all containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off
top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at
room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in
refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year.
Thaw in refrigerator before using.

nutritional information

Calories 30 Carbohydrate 7 g Sugars 7 g

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> My grandmother used to make freezer jam. She didn't consider herself
> a jam maker, but she followed the directions in the box and it was
> always wonderful. The berry flavor knocked on every taste bud to say
> Hello.
>
> Doing an internet search (is there any other kind these days?), I see
> that in this day and age of heightened nutritional awareness, Sure
> Jell has a low sugar recipe. I plan to try it soon.

My mother made strawberry freezer jam a few times. It was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> My grandmother used to make freezer jam. She didn't consider herself
> a jam maker, but she followed the directions in the box and it was
> always wonderful. The berry flavor knocked on every taste bud to say
> Hello.
>
> Doing an internet search (is there any other kind these days?), I see
> that in this day and age of heightened nutritional awareness, Sure
> Jell has a low sugar recipe. I plan to try it soon.

Freezer jam is hard to beat for flavor. I have made strawberry
(my son's favorite), apricot, and peach, never the low sugar recipe,
however. Doesn't the recipe call for lemon juice, or am I thinking of
another type of fruit?

I want to stress that you need to make sure the sugar is completely
dissolved, otherwise it will become grainy in the freezer over time.

Enjoy, it's a real treat.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 16:16:37 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Freezer jam is hard to beat for flavor. I have made strawberry
> (my son's favorite), apricot, and peach, never the low sugar recipe,
> however. Doesn't the recipe call for lemon juice, or am I thinking of
> another type of fruit?

I didn't alter the recipe. Maybe added lemon is somebody's variation.

> I want to stress that you need to make sure the sugar is completely
> dissolved, otherwise it will become grainy in the freezer over time.
>
> Enjoy, it's a real treat.

Thanks, I'll watch the sugar and make sure it's dissolved.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.