Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default On the menu at Dom Schallerovych tonight + 3 recipes

We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!

A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
and it's what we're having.

Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
Asparagus, prepared one way or another
Deviled eggs*
Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
Relishes
Condiments
Egg bread
Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
Wine? Probably not.

What'd I forget?

It'll be interesting to see who eats what. The original dessert recipe
uses cherry pie filling (I know, from a can. Sosumi.) and vanilla
pudding but I used raspberry because the family's Lord High Supreme
Finicky Eater hearts raspberries. I may garnish servings with frozen
berries snatched from the freezer at the moment of delivery to table.
Or I may not. I might put some Abdallah's pectin jelly beans on top
insead. Or I may not.

*Recipe included

Deviled Eggs
2 green onions
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and halved, yolks removed and set aside
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
a couple dashes of curry powder
a couple pinches of sugar
a squirt of yellow mustard
Mayo to moisten to your satisfaction

Finely mince the green onions. Add everything else and mash it so it's
smooth. I use my Braun multi-mix chopper for the whole process,
starting with the green onions.

Transfer the egg mixture to a plastic bag, snip the corner and fill the
eggs from that, using the bag as you would a pastry bag. If you throw
a pastry tip into the bag and use it, you can have a fancier mess than
without it. (If you use the pastry tip, either use two regular bags or
one freezer-weight bag to avoid the mess. Don't ask me why I'm
recommending this.)

Carrot-Craisin Salad
Serves 8-12

10 ounce bag julienned carrots (not finely shredded)
6 ounce bag Ocean Spray craisins
2 cups Miracle Whip
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 bag crisp chow mein noodles (I'm using rice-based noodles)
Cashews (a cup?)

Source: Penny Johnson, MCLC Spring 2010 Salad Luncheon

I'm making only half the recipe and have mixed the carrots, dressing,
and craisins. Will add the crispy chow mein noodles just before
serving, per Penny's instructions.

Raspberry Angel Dessert

Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)

1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream

Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.

Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.
>
> Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
> Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
> Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
> Asparagus, prepared one way or another
> Deviled eggs*
> Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
> Relishes
> Condiments
> Egg bread
> Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
> Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
> Wine? Probably not.
>
> What'd I forget?
>
> It'll be interesting to see who eats what.

Well, since I was not invited, I'll not be eating any of it. If I was to
attend though, I'd have a sample of it all. Looks like a nice selection of
goodies to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 8:28*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> [...]
> Cashews (a cup?)
>
> Source: Penny Johnson, MCLC Spring 2010 Salad Luncheon
>
> I'm making only half the recipe and have mixed the carrots, dressing,
> and craisins. *Will add the crispy chow mein noodles just before
> serving, per Penny's instructions.
>
> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. *Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. *Add another layer of cake cubes. *Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. *Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: * Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

looks good to me...it's the spirit of the holiday that counts, not
necessarily the specific day...and girl you got spirit!

harriet & critters (faddy tabby in the living room waiting for the
sun; ms tabby ann who is dancing around my feet..just being happy)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.
>
> Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
> Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
> Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
> Asparagus, prepared one way or another
> Deviled eggs*
> Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
> Relishes
> Condiments
> Egg bread
> Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
> Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
> Wine? Probably not.
>
> What'd I forget?

I don't know why you would call that boring..... sounds real good to me.
Have a great time with your family!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> > whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
> >
> > A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> > and it's what we're having.
> >
> > Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
> > Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
> > Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
> > Asparagus, prepared one way or another
> > Deviled eggs*
> > Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
> > Relishes
> > Condiments
> > Egg bread
> > Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
> > Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
> > Wine? Probably not.
> >
> > What'd I forget?
> >
> > It'll be interesting to see who eats what.

> Well, since I was not invited, I'll not be eating any of it. If I was to
> attend though, I'd have a sample of it all. Looks like a nice selection of
> goodies to me.

Thanks, Ed, George, Harriet -- I look at some of the menus posted here
that begin with appetizers, soup, etc., etc., and get the shivers ‹ I
only *imagine* meals like that.

I'm debating making a hrutka ‹ there could still be time if I don't take
my nap now. Nap-5, hrutka-not out of the gate.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
> Thanks, Ed, George, Harriet -- I look at some of the menus posted here
> that begin with appetizers, soup, etc., etc., and get the shivers < I
> only *imagine* meals like that.
>
> I'm debating making a hrutka < there could still be time if I don't take
> my nap now. Nap-5, hrutka-not out of the gate.

Holiday meals are all about family. Sure, they are abundant and good, but if
I want to show off my culinary expertise, I'd do that with a small gathering
of only two to four guests that will appreciate the spectacular meal. Our
Easter meal prep is almost done. Potato salad, coleslaw, ham. My daughter
is bringing dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:28:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

So, this is basically a "lazy man's" trifle done in a cake pan?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:28:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.
>
> Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
> Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
> Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
> Asparagus, prepared one way or another
> Deviled eggs*
> Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
> Relishes
> Condiments
> Egg bread
> Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
> Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
> Wine? Probably not.

I have a 9.63lb all natural, USDA premium choice prime rib roast in
the oven now. I haven't thought about what I'm going to serve with
it yet. I have asparagus, potatoes, cauliflower, deviled eggs, all
sorts of pickled veggies and olives.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ajp383.jpg

Stroh 80 for dessert.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4pypzk7.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 13:20:48 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> http://i41.tinypic.com/2ajp383.jpg

>>> What time's dinner? We're available.

>> Be here at 5:00pm. And bring your ham and bread.

> Dang! Missed the flight!

I'm only 1 road away! Just hop on I35 and put the pedal to the
metal.

Dinner was at 2:30 anyway. I've never had a rib roast cook that
quickly. And I've never cooked one that big. I took out the roast
at 10:am and let sit until 11:30 at room temp. Then it was seasoned
and put in a 500F oven for 10 minutes, then the temp was lowered to
280F. It hit 128F in 3 hours. Weird.

Roasted asparagus (385F oven for 8 minutes), mashed potatoes with
gorgonzola, and marinated artichoke hearts rounded out the meal.
Sorry - no afterpics or mouth-cams shots.

You can still bring the ham and bread. I'll be hungry after my
Tryptophan-induced nap.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 11:28*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> [...]
> Cashews (a cup?)
>
> Source: Penny Johnson, MCLC Spring 2010 Salad Luncheon
>
> I'm making only half the recipe and have mixed the carrots, dressing,
> and craisins. *Will add the crispy chow mein noodles just before
> serving, per Penny's instructions.
>
> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. *Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. *Add another layer of cake cubes. *Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. *Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: * Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

Sounds like a fine spread to me - no need to down play it!

I'm glad to see someone else likes curry in their deviled eggs, but
I've never made them with that AND horseradish! I may have to try that
next time.

We're having: spring salad with strawberries and pecans, Honeybaked
ham, roasted asparagus, golden potatoes (new recipe from Bon Appetit),
and white cake with seven-minute fosting and cocount (a old tradition
from my dear departed grandmother). Sometimes we go more elaborate
with hors deouvres, etc, but this year it's just us & the two little
ones.

Have a nice Easter and I hope you find your butter curler,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>We're having: spring salad with strawberries and pecans, Honeybaked
>ham, roasted asparagus, golden potatoes (new recipe from Bon Appetit),
>and white cake with seven-minute fosting and cocount (a old tradition
>from my dear departed grandmother).

Are you in, or from the South, Kris? I find that coconut cake such as
you describe is a holiday tradition in some parts of the South. It
was in my family... Always had a lemon filling, at least in my
family.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 5:49*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >We're having: spring salad with strawberries and pecans, Honeybaked
> >ham, roasted asparagus, golden potatoes (new recipe from Bon Appetit),
> >and white cake with seven-minute fosting and cocount (a old tradition
> >from my dear departed grandmother). *

> Are you in, or from the South, Kris? *I find that coconut cake such as
> you describe is a holiday tradition in some parts of the South. *It
> was in my family... *Always had a lemon filling, at least in my
> family.
>
> Christine

Not hardly - Michigan! (Go tonight MSU!) BUT my grandmother was from
Cincinnati, which is more south.

I don't do the lemon filling (although I've had some that way -
delicious!), just the seven-minute frosting with coconut pressed into
it. Just seems like Easter to me.

Thanks for asking,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

This looks really good! I don't think we have a desert planned for
tomorrow, but I don't have time to make anything else. I'm sure my mom has
ice cream in the freezer for the kids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.
>
> Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I do mine with a Tequila and orange/lime marmalade
glaze.

> Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled

If it's smoked, I'll have mine steamed. If it's not, grilled please.

> Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.

Good to see you've got something Aussie in there ;-)

> Asparagus, prepared one way or another

I 'marinate' mine in balsamic and EVOO, get a griddle smokin' hot and then
sear the spears, with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Buy don't over cook them, they still need to have some crunch..... but the
smokiness from the griddle, and the balsamic and EVOO make them
deeeeeeeeeelishus.

> Deviled eggs*

I have an over abundance of eggs at the moment... thought about doing some
of these, or just some curried egg to put on sandwiches.

> Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *

I can take this..... or leave it, which is more than likely.

> Relishes
> Condiments
> Egg bread

¡qué! ??

Egg bread???

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......... GIMF.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/A-Numbe...ad/Detail.aspx

> Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
> Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
> Wine? Probably not.

Heathen!!

> What'd I forget?

The Easter eggs.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.

I've eaten far worse food for more money There was that one trip to a
buffet for Easter...

We are probably having yeast-raised pancakes with strawberry sauce for
Easter breakfast, with the obligate coloured eggs should I get around to
doing them.

For lunch: ham, The Green Bean Casserole (TMU likes it), assorted
vegetables and something starchy. Didn't get around to making hot cross
buns or sweet bread with eggs baked in it Assorted Easter sweets for
dessert.

> [...]
> Cashews (a cup?)
>
> Source: Penny Johnson, MCLC Spring 2010 Salad Luncheon
>
> I'm making only half the recipe and have mixed the carrots, dressing,
> and craisins. Will add the crispy chow mein noodles just before
> serving, per Penny's instructions.
>
> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
> Cashews (a cup?)
>
> Source: Penny Johnson, MCLC Spring 2010 Salad Luncheon
>
> I'm making only half the recipe and have mixed the carrots, dressing,
> and craisins. Will add the crispy chow mein noodles just before
> serving, per Penny's instructions.
>

> Raspberry Angel Dessert
>
> Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
>
> 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup sour cream
>
> Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
> layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
>
> Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

sounds familiar.......9 lb. ham, 3 lbs. fresh and 3 lbs. smoked kielbasi,
mashed spuds, green beans, asparagus, devilled eggs, pickles, olives, rye
bread and the obligatory butter lamb.

Carrot cake for dessert if I can get it done tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >
> > Raspberry Angel Dessert
> >
> > Serving Size: 12-15 (too bad there are only four of us for dinner)
> >
> > 1 angel food cake (approximately 9" round) cubed
> > 1 can Wilderness raspberry pie filling (20 oz.)
> > 1 pkg. Jell-O brand instant white chocolate pudding
> > 1 1/2 cups milk
> > 1 cup sour cream
> >
> > Make layer of cake cubes in 9x13² pan. Spoon cherry pie filling over
> > layer. Add another layer of cake cubes. Beat pudding, milk, and sour
> > cream together until smooth. Spoon over top; chill 5 hours.
> >
> > Notes: Adapted from Sara Utt's recipe, 1970s.

> This looks really good! I don't think we have a desert planned for
> tomorrow, but I don't have time to make anything else. I'm sure my mom has
> ice cream in the freezer for the kids.

It was delicious and a hit at tonight's table, Cheryl. The most time
consuming part was cutting the angel food cake into pieces. I used
serrated knives, soaking and rinsing one while the other got sticky from
the cutting. :-) Jamie loved it.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> Have a nice Easter and I hope you find your butter curler,
> Kris

Butter curler's been missing for at least a year. Dang.
Dinner was a resounding success if one can base that conclusion on the
sight of empty plates. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default On the menu at Dom Schallerovych tonight + 3 recipes - Following up

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Deviled Eggs

Thumbs up! (I'm the only one who ate them.)
> Carrot-Craisin Salad

Thumbs up!

> Raspberry Angel Dessert

Thumbs up!

I ate too much.

I grilled the asparagus on foil - olive oil and kosher salt. Beck and I
loved it. I almost forgot the kolbasa!! The crashed potatoes were more
bother than they're worth, IMO; the potatoes stuck to the masher and it
was something of a mess before baking them. It was worth the try,
though, and I don't regret making them. Probably won't do them again,
though. Ham was good. Dessert was terrific. Carrot salad was better
received than I'd anticipated. Adding the chow mein noodles *just*
before serving is a must.

Thanks for your help with the asparagus.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 21:41:43 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> The crashed potatoes were more
> bother than they're worth, IMO; the potatoes stuck to the masher and it
> was something of a mess before baking them. It was worth the try,
> though, and I don't regret making them. Probably won't do them again,
> though.

That was my opinion too when I followed the recipe and used the waxy
potatoes called for in the recipe. They were good, but not *that*
good considering how they stuck to the masher. The last time I made
crash potatoes, I used (leftover) russets that I'd cut in half
widthwise and boiled. They didn't stick to the masher, which was a
big plus and crisped up just fine. If I do it again, I will not use a
waxy potatoes.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Deviled Eggs

> Thumbs up! (I'm the only one who ate them.)
>> Carrot-Craisin Salad

> Thumbs up!
>>
>> Raspberry Angel Dessert

> Thumbs up!
>
> I ate too much.
>
> I grilled the asparagus on foil - olive oil and kosher salt. Beck and I
> loved it. I almost forgot the kolbasa!!

I certainly hope you are sending leftovers, especially the dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snip)
> > I grilled the asparagus on foil - olive oil and kosher salt. Beck and I
> > loved it. I almost forgot the kolbasa!!

> I certainly hope you are sending leftovers, especially the dessert.

I brought a couple deviled eggs and a serving of the dessert over to The
Widow Dorothy. Who makes deviled eggs for one? Not Dottie. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:28:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
>whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
>A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
>and it's what we're having.

snippage of great looking menu and recipes.

It all sounds wonderful to me.
I don't know what we are having for dinner tomorrow. Going over to my
sister's for dinner. St. Robert is fixing dinner and I'm bringing
Hattie's Goat Cheese Tort, a family favorite.

Happy Easter

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 03/28/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one
> reader, and it's what we're having.

It all sounds pretty good to me, not disgusting in the least! Boring and
uninspired - nup. A comfortable family meal that will please the taste
buds - yep.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" schrieb :
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:28:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
>> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>>
>> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
>> and it's what we're having.
>>
>> Baked ham (Frick's brand, 88 cents/lb at Cub this week)
>> Kolbasa from Kramarczuk's, steamed or grilled
>> Crash Hot Potatoes, Pioneerwoman blog link posted by Serene yesterday.
>> Asparagus, prepared one way or another
>> Deviled eggs*
>> Carrot salad from last weekend's church salad lunch affair *
>> Relishes
>> Condiments
>> Egg bread
>> Butter Notcurls, since my butter curler has disappeared. Dammit.
>> Raspberry Angel Food Dessert*
>> Wine? Probably not.

> I have a 9.63lb all natural, USDA premium choice prime rib roast in
> the oven now. I haven't thought about what I'm going to serve with
> it yet. I have asparagus, potatoes, cauliflower, deviled eggs, all
> sorts of pickled veggies and olives.
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2ajp383.jpg
>
> Stroh 80 for dessert.
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/4pypzk7.jpg

Be careful with that one; it has a punch.
I use it for baking only; for cocktails I use the Stroh 60 -
it's milder.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:53:45 +0200, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Sqwertz" schrieb :
>
>> Stroh 80 for dessert.
>>
>> http://i10.tinypic.com/4pypzk7.jpg
>>

> Be careful with that one; it has a punch.

I think that's the whole idea.

I would like a good dessert recipe using rum? Austrian or German
would be nice. I'll be modifying it slightly to try a recipe
contest. I should have "Duncan Hines" or "Betty Crocker"
ingredients.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" schrieb :
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:53:45 +0200, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" schrieb :
>>
>>> Stroh 80 for dessert.
>>>
>>> http://i10.tinypic.com/4pypzk7.jpg
>>>

>> Be careful with that one; it has a punch.

> I think that's the whole idea.

No, it's a little too "sharp". The Stroh 60 is milder.

> I would like a good dessert recipe using rum? Austrian or German
> would be nice. I'll be modifying it slightly to try a recipe
> contest. I should have "Duncan Hines" or "Betty Crocker"
> ingredients.

Hmmm - ah !
Apfelradeln (apple wheels)

Peel and core apples and cut them into wheels.
Marinade the wheels in a mixture of rum, lemon juice, powdered sugar
and powdered cinnamon for three hours.
Dunk them into a batter (?) and fry them in the fritteuse or swimming in
oil.

Batter :
140 g flour
1/8 litre of mineral water or milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
10 g sugar
pinch of salt.

Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
Mix the rest in a bowl - until it's smooth. Work it as little as possible.
Let it rest for some minutes.
Shortly before you need the batter, gently stir in the stiffly beaten egg
whites.

Serve with vanilla sauce.
(Can be eaten hot or cold)

Then there's the drunken grey friar (Besoffener Kapuziner), if you want some
coffee after dinner.
Mix warm rum and sugar to taste. Stir, until sugar is dissolved. Light it
and douse
with strong black coffee. Put whipped heavy cream on top and sprinkle with
powdered
cocoa.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Transfer the egg mixture to a plastic bag, snip the corner and fill the
> eggs from that, using the bag as you would a pastry bag. If you throw
> a pastry tip into the bag and use it, you can have a fancier mess than
> without it. (If you use the pastry tip, either use two regular bags or
> one freezer-weight bag to avoid the mess. Don't ask me why I'm
> recommending this.)

I can picture it. <lol> Been there, done that!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The crashed potatoes were more
> bother than they're worth, IMO; the potatoes stuck to the masher and it
> was something of a mess before baking them.

I've not actually tried making them, but thanks for the warning about
using the masher. I actually do have one of those things. I wonder if
one were to simply use a large oiled fork instead if it'd be easier?

I have been wanting to try crashed potatoes now that I have that toaster
oven.

We ended up pretty much skipping Easter this year altho' I may consider
a batch of corn bread or muffins. Gotta search thru my rarely used
baking stuff and see what I have on hand. ;-) I think my small cast
iron pan will fit in the toaster oven...
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:34:31 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> I've not actually tried making them, but thanks for the warning about
> using the masher. I actually do have one of those things. I wonder if
> one were to simply use a large oiled fork instead if it'd be easier?

I tried everything... the best remedy is not to use waxy potatoes.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 10:34*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Kris > wrote:
> > Have a nice Easter and I hope you find your butter curler,
> > Kris

> Butter curler's been missing for at least a year. *Dang.
> Dinner was a resounding success if one can base that conclusion on the
> sight of empty plates. *:-)
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Updated 4-2-2010

I think that's the best way to tell!

Glad it was a success,
Kris, who suddenly wants a butter curler...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> We're having Easter dinner tonight. That sound you hear is my mom
> whirling in her grave. Hospodi pomiluj!
>
> A boring and uninspired menu to some, disgusting to at least one reader,
> and it's what we're having.

Looks lovely to me. Hope your dinner was delicious.

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 4, 9:34 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > The crashed potatoes were more
> > bother than they're worth, IMO; the potatoes stuck to the masher and it
> > was something of a mess before baking them.

> I've not actually tried making them, but thanks for the warning about
> using the masher. I actually do have one of those things. I wonder if
> one were to simply use a large oiled fork instead if it'd be easier?
>
> I have been wanting to try crashed potatoes now that I have that toaster
> oven. [snip]

I find it easy to slice potato wedges, oil, season and roast them.
Don't see the point of the "crashing"/mashing action. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> On Apr 3, 10:34*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *Kris > wrote:
> > > Have a nice Easter and I hope you find your butter curler,
> > > Kris

> > Butter curler's been missing for at least a year. *Dang.
> > Dinner was a resounding success if one can base that conclusion on the
> > sight of empty plates. *:-)
> >
> > --
> > Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> > Updated 4-2-2010

> I think that's the best way to tell!
>
> Glad it was a success,
> Kris, who suddenly wants a butter curler...

My butter curler was my secret to impressing people. :-) "Oh, my!
Look how fancy." <g> That the sucker has gone missing annoys the
bejunior out of me every holiday when I want to dazzle someone. It has
a rosewood handle and was from England. A gift from my sister many many
years ago. :-(

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:
> You can still bring the ham and bread. I'll be hungry after my
> Tryptophan-induced nap.
>
> -sw

You know my definition of eternity: A ham and two people. Your rib
roast sounds delicious.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-2-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>My butter curler was my secret to impressing people. :-) "Oh, my!
>Look how fancy." <g> That the sucker has gone missing annoys the
>bejunior out of me every holiday when I want to dazzle someone. It has
>a rosewood handle and was from England. A gift from my sister many many
>years ago. :-(

You were probably curling the sauce the day it went missing. LOL
Buy another one and it will likely show up.

One day I spent over an hour seaching the house for my car keys,
looked everywhere a dozen times, I was begining to sweat and then
there were my keys, in my hand! DUH!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:39:20 +0200, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Sqwertz" schrieb :

>>> Be careful with that one; it has a punch.

>> I think that's the whole idea.
>>

> No, it's a little too "sharp". The Stroh 60 is milder.
>
>> I would like a good dessert recipe using rum? Austrian or German
>> would be nice. I'll be modifying it slightly to try a recipe
>> contest. I should have "Duncan Hines" or "Betty Crocker"
>> ingredients.
>>

> Hmmm - ah !
> Apfelradeln (apple wheels)
>
> Peel and core apples and cut them into wheels.
> Marinade the wheels in a mixture of rum, lemon juice, powdered sugar
> and powdered cinnamon for three hours.
> Dunk them into a batter (?) and fry them in the fritteuse or swimming in
> oil.
>
> Batter :
> 140 g flour
> 1/8 litre of mineral water or milk
> 2 tablespoons oil
> 2 egg yolks
> 2 egg whites
> 10 g sugar
> pinch of salt.
>
> Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
> Mix the rest in a bowl - until it's smooth. Work it as little as possible.
> Let it rest for some minutes.
> Shortly before you need the batter, gently stir in the stiffly beaten egg
> whites.
>
> Serve with vanilla sauce.
> (Can be eaten hot or cold)
>
> Then there's the drunken grey friar (Besoffener Kapuziner), if you want some
> coffee after dinner.
> Mix warm rum and sugar to taste. Stir, until sugar is dissolved. Light it
> and douse
> with strong black coffee. Put whipped heavy cream on top and sprinkle with
> powdered
> cocoa.

I'm not much into apples (at all), but I'm going to try some drinks
with this. I bought a bottle for work, too, so we can try some
other experiments (after 2:00pm, of course).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:34:31 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > I've not actually tried making them, but thanks for the warning about
> > using the masher. I actually do have one of those things. I wonder if
> > one were to simply use a large oiled fork instead if it'd be easier?

> I tried everything... the best remedy is not to use waxy potatoes.

Ok, thanks. I presume you mean the reds?
My favorites are Yukon Golds.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Apr 4, 9:34 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > The crashed potatoes were more
> > > bother than they're worth, IMO; the potatoes stuck to the masher and it
> > > was something of a mess before baking them.

> > I've not actually tried making them, but thanks for the warning about
> > using the masher. I actually do have one of those things. I wonder if
> > one were to simply use a large oiled fork instead if it'd be easier?
> >
> > I have been wanting to try crashed potatoes now that I have that toaster
> > oven. [snip]

> I find it easy to slice potato wedges, oil, season and roast them.
> Don't see the point of the "crashing"/mashing action. -aem

I can. :-) More crispy surface area!!!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posted and emailed:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My butter curler was my secret to impressing people. :-) "Oh, my!
> Look how fancy." <g> That the sucker has gone missing annoys the
> bejunior out of me every holiday when I want to dazzle someone. It has
> a rosewood handle and was from England. A gift from my sister many many
> years ago. :-(

Pull out the bottom drawer in the cabinet where you last saw it
Look on the floor under that drawer. It's amazing what falls down there.

OTOH it could have fallen or been thrown in the kitchen trash by
mistake. I've lost some good paring knives and a few spoons that way.
:-(

gloria p