Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need Help With Diabetic Cheesecake Recipe

I've got to make one for Sunday and I've read a gozillion recipes this
morning and I'm more confused than before I started looking. I'm
seeing stuff like gelatin, non-dairy whipped topping, cottage and
ricotta cheese and other stuff I don't want to use. I'd like to use a
6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
something she's been asking for.

I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
nothing about diabetic cooking.

TIA

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've got to make one for Sunday and I've read a gozillion recipes this
> morning and I'm more confused than before I started looking. I'm
> seeing stuff like gelatin, non-dairy whipped topping, cottage and
> ricotta cheese and other stuff I don't want to use. I'd like to use a
> 6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
> 10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
> presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
> something she's been asking for.
>
> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
> nothing about diabetic cooking.

I would suggest asking her, or failing that, someone who is close to her
and familiar with her eating. Secondly, diabetics can eat almost
anything that anybody else can. They just have to figure out what else
to cut out and most importantly, control the portion size. For people
who have problems controlling portion size (and many people do when it
comes to cheesecake), sometimes they control it by just not having any.
The other trick is to just not have enough for a large portion, or
seconds.

As you can probably tell, I dislike special diabetic foods. Sometimes,
if they are a main dish or just something that is eaten often, or in
large quantity, you have to do that. But if it is a special occasion,
and infrequent, I say go for the good stuff. Just keep the portion size
down.

For instance, if you plan to serve the cheesecake after lunch, and the
lady normally has a small glass of whole milk and a small apple as part
of her lunch, she could substitute water for the milk and vegetables for
the apple. That would make up for the fat and sugar in the cheesecake.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> Pretty rude Lin, I skimmed the post and missed a few things.

Fair 'nuff. But Lou said he wanted "tried and true" recipes. Obviously,
you haven't even tried these before you posted them to your site. One of
the recipes from 1991 called for 22 packets of Sweet-n-Low and
margarine. ICK! Besides, who wants to stand around opening that many
individual packets of sweetener? Do a little updating, deary if you
expect anyone to take your site seriously.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> My father is 94, and a diagnosed diabetic, but it
> was never severe, and with as little as he weighs now, he just needs to
> avoid too much dessert, but otherwise can eat whatever he wants.

Wow! 94 and sounds like he's still going strong!!! That's pretty cool.
Does he have any secrets to his longevity?

My grandmother is 92, and my great-grandfather was 94 when he died, so
I've got long-life-lines on my mom's side of the family. Great granddad
was a notorious flirt at the nursing home and the nurses were constantly
coming across little bottles of whiskey that they would confiscate. He
must have had some inside help, because he wasn't getting out! I say let
the old guy have what he wants.

Congrats on your father. I hope you all get to celebrate the century marker.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:

> I've tried this one, it's made in a springform and splenda was used in
> place of the sugar. I'm not sure what the calorie count would be.
>

> ----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06
>
> Title: Kosher for Passover Cheesecake
> Categories: Jewish, Dessert, Nuts/grains, Chocolate
> Yield: 12 Servings
>

> (This uses a 10" springform)

Stu ... this one looks fantastic. How about more of THESE!

--Lin (apologizing for my rudeness earlier)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Bob, is that you?
>
> :-)

Every now and then we "cross the streams" and I channel him. LOL! Bad
Lin, Bad!

>> This is a recipe that my family has been using for 40 or so years. My
>> granddad was diabetic so my grandmother would make one cheesecake pie
>> for him using the sugar substitute du jour and regular for the rest of us.

> The old diabetes advice was to limit sugar. That's gone now. Sugar is
> completely irrelevant to the diabetic diet. It's all carbs now.

<snippage of good carb knowledge>

Do you remember when they banned cyclamates back in the late 60s? My
granddad had a pancake syrup that he loved and those Fizzie drink
tablets. The grandparents were living in Granada Hills when the Sylmar
earthquake hit. Grandma had stockpiled SEVERAL bottles of that syrup
since it couldn't be obtained anymore. Earthquake hits, shelves go down,
cupboards fly open -- syrup and glass everywhere. Things that also got
in the mix, bottles of chocolate syrup and change she would keep in
those little Parkay margarine tubs. Not. Fun. To. Clean.

And yes, it was complications of diabetes along with some other serious
ailments that took him early. Obviously, they didn't look the total carb
count back then. He loved his pancakes.

> Sounds good. Certainly, cheesecake is going to do in a diabetic diet if
> eaten very often! I would rather eat the real thing, though, and just
> restrict it to a few times a year. That's just a personal preference,
> and everybody needs to decide what works best for them.

I absolutely agree. I just supplied this recipe because it is so
adaptable for many diets and tastes. When my sister does the pies, she
goes full fat and sugar. She's a skinny little thing, too.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Do you think a removable bottom tart pan would work if I blind bake a
> home made crust in it? Mine's 7/8" thick.

Good question. Wayne might have a better answer for this because I
haven't tried that.

>> Add sour cream topping and bake for 10 minutes.

> The sour cream doesn't get runny? This looks like it's the winner.
> Everything else has had too many weird steps to it.

Nope. Not runny at all after the pie has set up.

> I'm thinking just a no sugar pasty crust recipe would be my choice.

Sounds good! Please be sure to tell us your results.

> Thanks for the reply.

NP.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> I'd like to use a
>> 6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
>> 10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
>> presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
>> something she's been asking for.

I saw this one yesterday and want to make it for Easter.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/361045...food_and_wine/

Ricotta cheesecake
Lucinda Scala Quinn, Martha Stewart Living, April 2010

Makes one 9-inch cake

This is the easiest cheesecake to make — it takes just 15 minutes to
assemble and doesn't require a water bath.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese, puréed in a food
processor until smooth
• 6 egg yolks
• 6 egg whites
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• Finely grated zest of 1 orange or 2 lemons
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoons sugar

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375°.

Generously butter and sugar a 9-inch springform pan (3 inches deep).

Whisk together ricotta cheese, egg yolks, flour, zest and salt in a
large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk 6 egg whites with a mixer on low speed until
foamy. Raise speed to high, and gradually add 6 tablespoons of sugar,
whisking until stiff, glossy peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently fold a
third of the whites into ricotta mixture using a rubber spatula until
just combined.

Gently fold in remaining whites until just combined.

Pour batter into pan, and bake until center is firm and top is deep
golden brown, about 1 hour.

Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of
cake; release sides to remove from pan, and let cool completely.

This cheesecake is best eaten the day it is baked, but it can be
refrigerated, covered loosely with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days. Let
stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
> nothing about diabetic cooking.

You can substitute Splenda for all or for part of the sugar. I have
tried it using Splenda only, and the texture is just not the same.
There is no crust to this cheesecake, that eliminates carbs. If she
really wants a cheesecake, I would give her a good cheesecake. This is a
wonderful recipe.

Becca

Cheesecake

(All ingredients should be room temperature)

4 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 stick butter
16 oz sour cream
4 tbsp potato starch, (or use 2 Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. flour)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Place a pan of water on lowest rack in the oven.

Line a 10" springform pan (or any deep pan) with aluminum foil. Spray
sides and foil covered base with PAM spray, or use cooking oil.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth, then add the sugar,
beat until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down and while mixing
slowly, add the eggs, mix until the eggs have been absorbed.

Add potato starch, vanilla and lemon juice and butter, mix well. Move
mixer to a lower speed and add the sour cream.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour, in the lowest part of
your oven. Turn the oven off and leave in oven for 1 hr. Remove from
oven and let it sit out a room temp, about 2 hours. Refrigerate until
chilled, about 4 hours. Do not cover with plastic because it might sweat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:46:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
>> nothing about diabetic cooking.

>You can substitute Splenda for all or for part of the sugar. I have
>tried it using Splenda only, and the texture is just not the same.
>There is no crust to this cheesecake, that eliminates carbs. If she
>really wants a cheesecake, I would give her a good cheesecake. This is a
>wonderful recipe.

Thanks Becca. I'm going to show these replies to the boss when she
gets home and let her make the choice which way to go. But I do feel
more confident now that I can get the job done.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:17:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 02 Apr 2010 09:41:52a, Lou Decruss told us...

>> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
>> nothing about diabetic cooking.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Lou
>>

>I'm assuming, by your exclusions, that you want to use cream cheese. You
>could use almost any cream cheesecake recipe, substituting Splenda for the
>sugar. Instead of the usual thicker crumb crust, butter the bottom and
>sides of your pan, then dust heavily with graham cracker or zweiback
>crumbs, then toss out excess. (You could also eliminate any crumbs, but
>it's not as nice a cake and what little crumbs there are don't contribute
>significant carbs.) YOur filling would be cream cheese, eggs, Splenda,
>vanilla or other extract, and perhaps some lemon zest. You could also add
>a copping of sour cream sweetened with Splenda.
>
>Expect that the cheesecake may have a slightly toughter texture, but still
>perfectly acceptable.
>
>Here is a traditional recipe I use and have, on occasion, substituted
>Splenda for the sugar.

Thanks Wayne. I'll report back on what I do with results.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2010 3:11 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:46:44 -0500, > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
>>> nothing about diabetic cooking.

>> You can substitute Splenda for all or for part of the sugar. I have
>> tried it using Splenda only, and the texture is just not the same.
>> There is no crust to this cheesecake, that eliminates carbs. If she
>> really wants a cheesecake, I would give her a good cheesecake. This is a
>> wonderful recipe.

> Thanks Becca. I'm going to show these replies to the boss when she
> gets home and let her make the choice which way to go. But I do feel
> more confident now that I can get the job done.
>
> Lou

You are a good friend, I hope you are appreciated.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I saw this one yesterday and want to make it for Easter.
> http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/361045...food_and_wine/
>
> Ricotta cheesecake
> Lucinda Scala Quinn, Martha Stewart Living, April 2010

I'm improvising a cheesecake for Easter dessert. These are the steps I plan
to follow (I wrote them down so I don't forget any ingredients!):

Make cheese (It'll be the David Lebovitz fresh faux-ricotta that Charlotte
mentioned)

Make fresh breadcrumbs

Peel oranges and cut crosswise into "flowers" (I got this idea from
Christine)
Stew oranges with rosemary in honey

Cook chestnuts in milk and splenda

Preheat oven to 375

Mash chestnuts, then mix with cheese

Butter pan and coat with fresh breadcrumbs

Add 7 egg yolks, 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt

Whip egg whites, fold into mixture, pour into pan, and bake 40-45 minutes.

Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes, and remove from pan

Whip cream; cut cake into wedges and serve with oranges and cream.

The cheese recipe makes just over two cups. I'll probably just use one or
two oranges. I've got about 3/4 cup of chestnuts, but they'll swell a bit
when cooked in the milk. I'm not sure how much milk I'll end up using; I'll
add it as needed to get the right batter texture before folding in the egg
whites.

The carb count is *pretty* low, but not microscopic: The oranges and honey
will add sugary carbs, while the breadcrumbs, and chestnuts will add starchy
carbs. But none of the "bad" ingredients should put it over the top.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 19:08:08 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Make cheese (It'll be the David Lebovitz fresh faux-ricotta that Charlotte
> mentioned)

Scroll down and you'll find other web sites with their versions of how
to make ricotta at home.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hom...icotta_cheese/

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've got to make one for Sunday and I've read a gozillion recipes this
> morning and I'm more confused than before I started looking. I'm
> seeing stuff like gelatin, non-dairy whipped topping, cottage and
> ricotta cheese and other stuff I don't want to use. I'd like to use a
> 6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
> 10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
> presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
> something she's been asking for.
>
> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
> nothing about diabetic cooking.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

I think Splenda makes a product suitable for 1:1 substitution for sugar.
http://www.splenda.com/
Maybe that would work, especially if you have a small recipe that won't
require a lot of the product.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:55:11 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I've got to make one for Sunday and I've read a gozillion recipes this
>> morning and I'm more confused than before I started looking. I'm
>> seeing stuff like gelatin, non-dairy whipped topping, cottage and
>> ricotta cheese and other stuff I don't want to use. I'd like to use a
>> 6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
>> 10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
>> presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
>> something she's been asking for.
>>
>> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
>> nothing about diabetic cooking.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Lou

>Make the crust with chopped nuts, butter and Splenda. Use your regular
>recipe and substitute Splenda or, what I like even better in a
>cheesecake, Diabetisweet. You can get it at WalMart. It's expensive, but
>I think it tastes better in cheesecake.

I saw this after I was into making it. The nut idea sounds great and
we've even got nut! Dang. Oh well. I've saved all the stuff from
this thread for next time. Thanks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've got to make one for Sunday and I've read a gozillion recipes this
> morning and I'm more confused than before I started looking. I'm
> seeing stuff like gelatin, non-dairy whipped topping, cottage and
> ricotta cheese and other stuff I don't want to use. I'd like to use a
> 6 1/2 inch springform but can use a 10" if needed. I could also use a
> 10" tart pan for something more like bar thickness. I'm open to any
> presentation as the only object is to let the 95 year old lady have
> something she's been asking for.
>
> I'm open to any tried and true ideas. I'm not a big baker and I know
> nothing about diabetic cooking.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

I'm not up on diabetic cooking, so I can't directly help you, however
you *should not* be balking at the idea of using ricotta cheese as this
is standard for Italian style cheesecake, and one of the ingredients in
my preferred Italian-American hybrid style cheesecake.

Diabetic Recipe 178925 Diabetic 1 06-11-2007 05:21 PM
Diabetic Recipe [email protected] General Cooking 0 02-11-2007 01:56 PM
Diabetic Recipe kanghuaiqiang Diabetic 2 02-11-2007 06:41 AM
Looking for diabetic snowball recipe? Jim98122x General Cooking 4 28-11-2005 12:19 AM
CheeseCake Cupckae recipe - Turning it into Key Lime Cheesecake Cupcake recipe Bunny McElwee General Cooking 8 22-03-2005 02:01 AM