FoodBanter.com

-   -   Groundbreaking today for our community garden (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/395287-groundbreaking-today-our-community.html)

Food SnobŪ[_2_] 01-04-2010 01:36 PM

Groundbreaking today for our community garden

This year I'm going to have to buy too many seedlings. I've just been
too busy to get enough sprouted myself. I do have some jalapeno
seedlings under the grow light. It's supposed to start at 9AM. I am
seriously tempted to make a sign and put it up this morning early.

We've decided that this garden was a stupid idea,
and we've cancelled the whole thing.
--The Management

--Bryan

Damaeus[_3_] 01-04-2010 02:53 PM

Groundbreaking today for our community garden

In news:rec.food.cooking, Food Snob+AK4- > posted on
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:36:35 -0700 (PDT) the following:

> This year I'm going to have to buy too many seedlings. I've just been
> too busy to get enough sprouted myself. I do have some jalapeno
> seedlings under the grow light. It's supposed to start at 9AM. I am
> seriously tempted to make a sign and put it up this morning early.
>
> We've decided that this garden was a stupid idea, and we've cancelled
> the whole thing.

It's okay. It just means you're just not a communist.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana leads to homosexuality ... and therefore to AIDS."
White House Drug Czar Carlton Turner 1986

brooklyn1 01-04-2010 03:19 PM

Groundbreaking today for our community garden

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:36:35 -0700 (PDT), Food SnobŪ
> wrote:

>This year I'm going to have to buy too many seedlings. I've just been
>too busy to get enough sprouted myself. I do have some jalapeno
>seedlings under the grow light. It's supposed to start at 9AM. I am
>seriously tempted to make a sign and put it up this morning early.
>
>We've decided that this garden was a stupid idea,
>and we've cancelled the whole thing.

Why can't you plant mostly seed directly into the ground?
With many veggies planting seed directly is a huge leap ahead from
transplanting.

Food SnobŪ[_2_] 01-04-2010 03:57 PM

On Apr 1, 9:19*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:36:35 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob
>
> > wrote:
> >This year I'm going to have to buy too many seedlings. *I've just been
> >too busy to get enough sprouted myself. *I do have some jalapeno
> >seedlings under the grow light. *It's supposed to start at 9AM. *I am
> >seriously tempted to make a sign and put it up this morning early.

> >We've decided that this garden was a stupid idea,
> >and we've cancelled the whole thing.

> Why can't you plant mostly seed directly into the ground?
> With many veggies planting seed directly is a huge leap ahead from
> transplanting.

With some things that's definitely true, especially cucumber family,
and I will plant some melons of some kind. I'm mostly interested in
lots of tomatoes, but we also have an 8'x8' raised bed in the back
yard for more of those.

I just went up there, and those bozos are putting the raised beds
together with a nail gun instead of drill and screw or bolt.

--Bryan