Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

Default I Love Sourdough!

I love my sandwiches made with sourdough bread. I especially like
french toast made with it, too. Tons of butter and maple syrple.

Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in usage?
I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the States.

Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

Mack wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:06:42 -0700:

> Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in
> usage? I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the
> States.

You can make sour-dough bread anywhere in the world but it never tastes
quite as well as that made in San Francisco. I think it is a special
sub-species of yeast that reverts to the local varieties even if you
bring some from San Francisco. Nonetheless, making your own sourdough
"starter" is quite easy.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2010 3:33 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> Mack wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:06:42 -0700:
>
>> Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in
>> usage? I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the
>> States.

> You can make sour-dough bread anywhere in the world but it never tastes
> quite as well as that made in San Francisco. I think it is a special
> sub-species of yeast that reverts to the local varieties even if you
> bring some from San Francisco. Nonetheless, making your own sourdough
> "starter" is quite easy.

The "trick" is not adding any yeast. (most sourdough starter recipes
are bogus, and include milk and yeast)

All you need is flour and water and time. Rye flour works particularly
well to get it going, then you can change it over to wheat flour as you
feed it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia > wrote:

>Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in usage?

I have bought very good sourdough bread at Borough Market, and
places like Waitrose will usually have it. More ubiquitous
is French bread that is not sour, or not particularly sour.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> I love my sandwiches made with sourdough bread. I especially like
> french toast made with it, too. Tons of butter and maple syrple.
>
> Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in usage?
> I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the States.
>
> Cheers!

They have sourdough in Germany, in fact it's Hun food!

Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

In article >, jonny
> writes
>>
>> Can you buy sourdough in the UK, or is it uniquely American in usage?
>> I can buy it in Mexico, but it is imported from the States.
>>
>> Cheers!

>They have sourdough in Germany, in fact it's Hun food!
>
>Cheers!

You can get sourdough loaves at the fancy food shop in the High Street
<points inaccurately over shoulder with fork>

Or you can make your own, it's not rocket science. Just make a normal
loaf and keep a handful of the dough in the fridge to use as a starter
for the next lot.

--
Cheers, Sue ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 5:18*pm, Darkside > wrote:
> In article >, jonny
> > writes
> [ ... ]
> . . . Or you can make your own, it's not rocket science. *Just make a normal
> loaf and keep a handful of the dough in the fridge to use as a starter
> for the next lot.

What is meant by normal?

Is it possible for a sourdough loaf to be normal?

Normal loaves come from the supermarket. They are what normal people
eat.

Rely on me for the truth.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

For someone using it for rye I discovered one can make rye without
sourdough, wheat or even yeast. Just needs the right kind of baking form, I
use one intended for muffins (so I get rye "cakes"). It needs to be a bit
longer in the oven to get a solid crust (with a standard bread form it
still tends to fall apart, the crust does not support it enough). Maybe
some xanthan gum also helps. No need for yicky fungi or bacteria in your
bread.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

"CJ" > wrote in message ...
> For someone using it for rye I discovered one can make rye without
> sourdough, wheat or even yeast. Just needs the right kind of baking form,
> use one intended for muffins (so I get rye "cakes"). It needs to be a bit
> longer in the oven to get a solid crust (with a standard bread form it
> still tends to fall apart, the crust does not support it enough). Maybe
> some xanthan gum also helps. No need for yicky fungi or bacteria in your
> bread.

After all, there are plenty in your gut!

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,rec.food.cooking

begone oh blaspheme! the anger of the bread gods be aroused!