Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to pick good/ripe produce (fruits and veggies)

Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

Just a few basic items I purchase:

Citrus fruits:
Smooth peel. The smoother and shinier, the juicier and/or sweeter.

Strawberries:
The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check the bottom of
any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy fruits.

Avocados:
Taught this when I ran into the manager at one of the popular local

Mexican restaurants and it's never steered me wrong! Body of the
avocado should be firm but not hard and the neck should be soft. Perfect
every time.

Watermelons:
Same as apples. I flick them with a fingernail and those that "ring"
are generally the sweetest and juiciest.

Cantaloupe:
Look for ones that are turning yellow, then pick the best by smell.
The color really does matter!

Peaches/Apricots/Nectarines/Plums:
Slightly soft and aromatic. Another fruit I will check by smell.

Grapes:
Sorry, but I always taste one to make sure they are not sour. Just one
tho'! It's the only fruit at the store I'll do that with.

Lettuces:
Subjective. I choose the heads by weight. The heavier for the size
generally gives the best results for me.

Summer Squash:
I choose the smallest and most slender.

Winter Squash:
I get the size I want and just look for blemishes. I get the cleanest
ones possible. I've never found one that was not edible.

Celery:
Widest and thickest possible stalks.

Broccoli:
Green as possible. I avoid ones that are turning yellow.

Asparagus:
Thin spears seem to have less waste. I check the tips for rot and
avoid any bunches who's tips appear to already be spoiling.

Artichokes:
I have found that the most tender ones have really thick stems so
choose the fattest stems possible.

Mushrooms:
Clean, smooth and dry. First sign of rot is dark spots and a slimyness.

Tomatoes:
The redder the better and ever so slightly soft.

Onions and potatoes are subjective. Same as carrots or any other root
veggie. Firm and with as few blemishes as possible. Make sure the
potatoes are not turning green!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:54:28 -0600:

> Just a few basic items I purchase:

> Citrus fruits:
> Smooth peel. The smoother and shinier, the juicier and/or
> sweeter.

Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
had much success with them.

Also, I'd add for cantaloupes. The stem end should give very slightly
tho' the fruit should not be soft.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 28, 5:15*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Omelet *wrote *on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:54:28 -0600:
>
> > Just a few basic items I purchase:
> > Citrus fruits:
> > * Smooth peel. The smoother and shinier, the juicier and/or
> > sweeter.

> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
> had much success with them.
>
> Also, I'd add for cantaloupes. The stem end should give very slightly
> tho' the fruit should not be soft.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I use pears in my green smoothies so I buy a lot of them. I buy
several at once so I buy pears in different
stages of ripness so that I use up the ripest first and by the time I
get around to the 'greenest' it is at a perfect stage of ripeness.

For Anjou type pears (which I like best) I look for a pear whose
greenish hue has given way to a very pale
yellow for the very ripe one I'll use first. Then I go by shade up
the green scale to the greenest and hardest one to be used later in
the week. Red Anjou pears still have an under coat of green if they
are not ripe.

A perfectly ripe pear will be more yellow and even have a 'blush' on
one side depending on the type of pear and
will be yeilding to a gentle squeeze or push.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:47:02 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Mar 28, 5:15*am, "James Silverton" >
>wrote:
>> *Omelet *wrote *on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:54:28 -0600:
>>
>> > Just a few basic items I purchase:
>> > Citrus fruits:
>> > * Smooth peel. The smoother and shinier, the juicier and/or
>> > sweeter.

>> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
>> had much success with them.
>>
>> Also, I'd add for cantaloupes. The stem end should give very slightly
>> tho' the fruit should not be soft.
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>I use pears in my green smoothies so I buy a lot of them. I buy
>several at once so I buy pears in different
>stages of ripness so that I use up the ripest first and by the time I
>get around to the 'greenest' it is at a perfect stage of ripeness.
>
>For Anjou type pears (which I like best) I look for a pear whose
>greenish hue has given way to a very pale
>yellow for the very ripe one I'll use first. Then I go by shade up
>the green scale to the greenest and hardest one to be used later in
>the week. Red Anjou pears still have an under coat of green if they
>are not ripe.
>
>A perfectly ripe pear will be more yellow and even have a 'blush' on
>one side depending on the type of pear and
>will be yeilding to a gentle squeeze or push.

This is all nonsense. There are about 300 different types of pears,
all ripen from the inside out, which is why they are always harvested
unripened or they'd fall from the tree and splatter, plus ripe pears
do not ship without becoming damaged... gritty pears were left too
long on the tree. The best way to tell if a pear is fully ripe is if
you can easily pluck out its stem... a perfectly ripe pear is juicy
with firm flesh so it will make a little poping sound as you pull out,
old over ripe pears are drier and have loose flesh so those don't make
that satisfying pop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 28, 8:53*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:47:02 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mar 28, 5:15*am, "James Silverton" >
> >wrote:

> >> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
> >> had much success with them.

> >> Also, I'd add for cantaloupes. The stem end should give very slightly
> >> tho' the fruit should not be soft.

> >> --

> >> James Silverton
> >> Potomac, Maryland

> >> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> >I use pears in my green smoothies so I buy a lot of them. * I buy
> >several at once so I buy pears in different
> >stages of ripness so that I use up the ripest first and by the time I
> >get around to the 'greenest' it is at a perfect stage of ripeness.

> >For Anjou type pears (which I like best) I look for a pear whose
> >greenish hue has given way to a very pale
> >yellow for the very ripe one I'll use first. * Then I go by shade up
> >the green scale to the greenest and hardest one to be used later in
> >the week. * *Red Anjou pears still have an under coat of green if they
> >are not ripe.

> >A perfectly ripe pear will be more yellow and even have a 'blush' on
> >one side depending on the type of pear and
> >will be yeilding to a gentle squeeze or push.

> This is all nonsense. * There are about 300 different types of pears,
> all ripen from the inside out, which is why they are always harvested
> unripened or they'd fall from the tree and splatter, plus ripe pears
> do not ship without becoming damaged... gritty pears were left too
> long on the tree. * The best way to tell if a pear is fully ripe is if
> you can easily pluck out its stem... a perfectly ripe pear is juicy
> with firm flesh so it will make a little poping sound as you pull out,
> old over ripe pears are drier and have loose flesh so those don't make
> that satisfying pop.

OK. How does that make what methodology I use wrong? I stated
that I buy a use a lot of pears and
since I don't want them all to be perfectly ripe at one time I use the
above methodology to find pears of
different ripening stages. Your methodology is fine if you want all
the pears you buy to use all at once to be
ripe. I don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:15:08 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
> had much success with them.

My rule is to buy one that is blemish free and let it sit at room
temperature for three days. Bam! Good eating.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've
> never had much success with them.

If a pear is somewhat soft around the stem, it is usually ready to
eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:00:05 -0700:

>> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears?
>> I've never had much success with them.

> My rule is to buy one that is blemish free and let it sit at
> room temperature for three days. Bam! Good eating.

In my experience, pears just sit and appear unripe to the touch until
you are not noticing when they turn to mush!

That's one reason why I eat Seckel pears which are sweet and flavorful
while still firm.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:54:28 -0600:
>
> > Just a few basic items I purchase:

> > Citrus fruits:
> > Smooth peel. The smoother and shinier, the juicier and/or
> > sweeter.

> Thanks, some good rules but do you have any advice on pears? I've never
> had much success with them.

I don't generally buy pears, but I'd say feel and smell.
Slightly soft and aromatic.

> Also, I'd add for cantaloupes. The stem end should give very slightly
> tho' the fruit should not be soft.

Yes. It should give a bit and when it does, it'll smell nice. :-)
Picking yellower colored ones tho' has really paid off.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:38:40 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

>> Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.

> And it should smell like ripe pineapple. A pineapple with a barely
> discernible aroma is not ripe.
>
> Lately, I have heard that things bout a leaf pulling out, are not
> reliable.... I forget where and from whom I heard it...
>
> The aroma is the thing that is most reliable to me.. However, it
> shouldn't smell like it is on the edge of fermentation...

I heard that being able to easily pull a leaf out was a reliable way,
and it works for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:56:07 -0600:

>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with
>>> it!

>> Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.

> And it should smell like ripe pineapple. A pineapple with a
> barely discernible aroma is not ripe.

> Lately, I have heard that things bout a leaf pulling out, are
> not reliable.... I forget where and from whom I heard it...

> The aroma is the thing that is most reliable to me.. However,
> it shouldn't smell like it is on the edge of fermentation...

The pleasant smell of a properly ripe pineapple is a good guide but this
should be combined with not being able to pick up a pineapple by a
center frond.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

> Christine wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:56:07 -0600:

>> And it should smell like ripe pineapple. A pineapple with a
>> barely discernible aroma is not ripe.

>> Lately, I have heard that things bout a leaf pulling out, are
>> not reliable.... I forget where and from whom I heard it...

>> The aroma is the thing that is most reliable to me.. However,
>> it shouldn't smell like it is on the edge of fermentation...

>The pleasant smell of a properly ripe pineapple is a good guide but this
>should be combined with not being able to pick up a pineapple by a
>center frond.

Years ago Joe Carrcione said to look for a pineapple with lots
of yellow color between its leaves... I have been following
this advice ever since and it seems good.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Strawberries:
> The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check the bottom of
> any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy fruits.

I emailed a producer yesterday about that. I bought a 4 lb. package of
strawberries from Costco, under the CalGiant label.

They were the largest, reddest, best smelling strawberries I ever
bought. They were red right down to the core.

Problem? They were quite hard and the sourest/tartest berries I've
ever tasted. They would have been wonderful for jam, I guess, with all
the added sugar. We have eaten about half, dipped deeply in sugar, and
still they were tart. I guess I'll chop the rest and mix them heavily
with sugar.

Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no matter how
good they look and smell.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dora" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

> Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.

Ah!

Mom taught me yellow color, aromatic, and the center leaves must be
green and not drying out or the pineapple could be spoiled/over-ripe.

We've often successfully grown the tops after cutting them off.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Strawberries:
> > The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check the bottom of
> > any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy fruits.
> >

> I emailed a producer yesterday about that. I bought a 4 lb. package of
> strawberries from Costco, under the CalGiant label.
>
> They were the largest, reddest, best smelling strawberries I ever
> bought. They were red right down to the core.
>
> Problem? They were quite hard and the sourest/tartest berries I've
> ever tasted. They would have been wonderful for jam, I guess, with all
> the added sugar. We have eaten about half, dipped deeply in sugar, and
> still they were tart. I guess I'll chop the rest and mix them heavily
> with sugar.
>
> Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no matter how
> good they look and smell.
>
> gloria p

Hm. That is interesting. Wonder what the deal was other than the early
season?

Best strawberries I've ever had tho' were Colorado wild strawberries we
picked in our back yard. :-) Little bitty sugar bombs! ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:32:42 -0600:

>> Omelet wrote:
>>
> >> Strawberries:
> >> The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check
> >> the bottom of any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy
> >> fruits.
> >>

>> I emailed a producer yesterday about that. I bought a 4 lb.
>> package of strawberries from Costco, under the CalGiant
>> label.
>>
>> They were the largest, reddest, best smelling strawberries I
>> ever bought. They were red right down to the core.
>>
>> Problem? They were quite hard and the sourest/tartest
>> berries I've ever tasted. They would have been wonderful for
>> jam, I guess, with all the added sugar. We have eaten about
>> half, dipped deeply in sugar, and still they were tart. I
>> guess I'll chop the rest and mix them heavily with sugar.
>>
>> Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no
>> matter how good they look and smell.
>>
>> gloria p

> Hm. That is interesting. Wonder what the deal was other than
> the early season?

> Best strawberries I've ever had tho' were Colorado wild
> strawberries we picked in our back yard. :-) Little bitty
> sugar bombs! ;-d --

Wild strawberries, both European and American, are the most! I don't
know if the small strawberries are the same species but I've picked them
in the Blue Ridge, New Hampshire, Switzerland and Scotland. However, the
cultivated large strawberry can be very good even if its ancestry is
very mysterious. I've had some very fine strawberries from Chile and
that's not too surprising since I believe the commercial strawberry does
have a lot of Chilean lineage.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> > Best strawberries I've ever had tho' were Colorado wild
> > strawberries we picked in our back yard. :-) Little bitty
> > sugar bombs! ;-d --

> Wild strawberries, both European and American, are the most! I don't
> know if the small strawberries are the same species but I've picked them
> in the Blue Ridge, New Hampshire, Switzerland and Scotland. However, the
> cultivated large strawberry can be very good even if its ancestry is
> very mysterious. I've had some very fine strawberries from Chile and
> that's not too surprising since I believe the commercial strawberry does
> have a lot of Chilean lineage.
>
> --

There seem to be a number of varieties. I've had trouble growing them
here. Probably not enough water.

Since the Asparagus raised bed is not doing well, I may re-convert that
to a strawberry bed. I dunno. I think they do best in a sandy soil? I
could modify the top layer in that bed, then go from there.

California imported strawberries are typically better than the local
Poteet strawberries.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:56:07 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:38:40 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:
>
>>Omelet wrote:
>>> Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

>>Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.

>And it should smell like ripe pineapple. A pineapple with a barely
>discernible aroma is not ripe.
>
>Lately, I have heard that things bout a leaf pulling out, are not
>reliable.... I forget where and from whom I heard it...
>
>The aroma is the thing that is most reliable to me.. However, it
>shouldn't smell like it is on the edge of fermentation...

Once picked pineapple does not ripen... unless you live where
pineapple is grown the closest you will ever come to ripe pineapple is
from out of a can. Few folks have ever tasted fresh field ripened
pineapple. Pineapple for export is picked green, ripe pineapple does
not ship well. Pineapple from the stupidmarket will never get any
riper, it will only ferment/rot... place on countertop in a bowl
leaves down, gravity will help to equalize whatever sugar is already
in the fruit (once picked no more sugar will be produced). Eat as
soon as possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> Promised I'd start this thread. :-) Go ahead and run with it!

> Pineapple: A middle leaf should pull out easily.

I'd rather depend on a rich golden color (no green anywhere)
and a sweet pineapple odor at the bottom. If it smells the
slightest bit sour or fermented, it's overripe; pass it by.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:56:41 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> > Best strawberries I've ever had tho' were Colorado wild
>> > strawberries we picked in our back yard. :-) Little bitty
>> > sugar bombs! ;-d --

>> Wild strawberries, both European and American, are the most! I don't
>> know if the small strawberries are the same species but I've picked them
>> in the Blue Ridge, New Hampshire, Switzerland and Scotland. However, the
>> cultivated large strawberry can be very good even if its ancestry is
>> very mysterious. I've had some very fine strawberries from Chile and
>> that's not too surprising since I believe the commercial strawberry does
>> have a lot of Chilean lineage.
>>
>> --

>There seem to be a number of varieties. I've had trouble growing them
>here. Probably not enough water.
>
>Since the Asparagus raised bed is not doing well, I may re-convert that
>to a strawberry bed. I dunno. I think they do best in a sandy soil? I
>could modify the top layer in that bed, then go from there.
>
>California imported strawberries are typically better than the local
>Poteet strawberries.

Ours grow very well in amended clay. The only times we got poor
production was the year that it got down into the 20's 4 nights in a
row and froze the berries and last year when it rained too much and
the berries rotted. Check with your county agricultural agent to see
what varieties do the best in your area.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:32:42 -0600, Omelet >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "gloria.p" > wrote:

>>> Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no matter how
>>> good they look and smell.
>>>

>>Hm. That is interesting. Wonder what the deal was other than the early
>>season?

>The best CA strawberries never leave the state. One can find them at
>farmers markets. The aroma alone can make you aware that they are
>there...
>
>CA has a long season for growing strawberries, but the place to get
>them this early is in CA. I always count April as the real beginning
>of strawberry season there, however. And I usually expect them by
>Easter.

So true about the best ones not leaving the state. And I always go by
smell, not color.

They're much earlier in Southern California markets due to proximity to
desert growing areas.

(I haven't seen them in my box yet, but I think they should be at the
market this week. Just in time for Easter!)

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> >There seem to be a number of varieties. I've had trouble growing them
> >here. Probably not enough water.
> >
> >Since the Asparagus raised bed is not doing well, I may re-convert that
> >to a strawberry bed. I dunno. I think they do best in a sandy soil? I
> >could modify the top layer in that bed, then go from there.
> >
> >California imported strawberries are typically better than the local
> >Poteet strawberries.

> Ours grow very well in amended clay. The only times we got poor
> production was the year that it got down into the 20's 4 nights in a
> row and froze the berries and last year when it rained too much and
> the berries rotted. Check with your county agricultural agent to see
> what varieties do the best in your area.
> --
> Susan N.

I will do that, thanks!
I've found good deals in the past on bulk berry plants on ebay.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Strawberries:
> > The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check the bottom of
> > any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy fruits.
> >

> I emailed a producer yesterday about that. I bought a 4 lb. package of
> strawberries from Costco, under the CalGiant label.
>
> They were the largest, reddest, best smelling strawberries I ever
> bought. They were red right down to the core.
>
> Problem? They were quite hard and the sourest/tartest berries I've
> ever tasted. They would have been wonderful for jam, I guess, with all
> the added sugar. We have eaten about half, dipped deeply in sugar, and
> still they were tart. I guess I'll chop the rest and mix them heavily
> with sugar.
>
> Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no matter how
> good they look and smell.
>
> gloria p

I tried to tell TMU that when she wanted to buy strawberries a couple of
weeks ago. Since it was her birthday week, I acquiesced and bought them
for her. They looked and smelt great but were sour sour and sour!

Those Florida strawberry farmers who are destroying their crops rather
than sell them are brainless. If it costs too much to transport them far
afield, sell them at the gate. A time-honoured practice which gets rid
of the middlemen. Or else do pick-your-own and make the punters sign a
release against any injury.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> The best CA strawberries never leave the state. One can find them at
> farmers markets. The aroma alone can make you aware that they are
> there...

I can vouch for that. I have bought strawberries in Carlsbad at the
flower fields in April that were so wonderful they never made it home.
We ate them all on the way in 1/2 hour.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
>"gloria.p" wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> > Strawberries:
>> > The redder the better, and I also go by smell and check the bottom of
>> > any pre-packed baskets carefully for moldy fruits.

>> I emailed a producer yesterday about that. I bought a 4 lb. package of
>> strawberries from Costco, under the CalGiant label.
>>
>> They were the largest, reddest, best smelling strawberries I ever
>> bought. They were red right down to the core.
>>
>> Problem? They were quite hard and the sourest/tartest berries I've
>> ever tasted. They would have been wonderful for jam, I guess, with all
>> the added sugar. We have eaten about half, dipped deeply in sugar, and
>> still they were tart. I guess I'll chop the rest and mix them heavily
>> with sugar.
>>
>> Lesson? March is too early for California strawberries, no matter how
>> good they look and smell.
>>
>> gloria p

>I tried to tell TMU that when she wanted to buy strawberries a couple of
>weeks ago. Since it was her birthday week, I acquiesced and bought them
>for her. They looked and smelt great but were sour sour and sour!
>
>Those Florida strawberry farmers who are destroying their crops rather
>than sell them are brainless. If it costs too much to transport them far
>afield, sell them at the gate. A time-honoured practice which gets rid
>of the middlemen. Or else do pick-your-own and make the punters sign a
>release against any injury.

Send in Barb Schaller with her FEMA Jammers!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> > >The best CA strawberries never leave the state. One can find them at
> > >farmers markets. The aroma alone can make you aware that they are
> > >there...
> > >
> > >CA has a long season for growing strawberries, but the place to get
> > >them this early is in CA. I always count April as the real beginning
> > >of strawberry season there, however. And I usually expect them by
> > >Easter.

> > So true about the best ones not leaving the state. And I always go by
> > smell, not color.

> I think that is true about all local produce. The best stuff doesn't
> ship as well at its peak. That's just reality, so if you can't get
> local, you're already getting second best most of the time.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Probably why so much of the imported Mexican produce is so good. We are
very close to the border so it comes into the warehouses fairly quickly.
Avocados were $.50 each all winter this past year. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> > Well, there is always strawberry extracting. Slice them in half and put
> > them in a quart jar.
> >
> > Fill the jar with Vodka.
> >
> > Let sit for 1 week MINIMUM.
> >
> > Remove strawberries, slice, serve with vanilla ice cream.
> >
> > Enjoy with small shots of the strawberry vodka!
> >
> > Add sugar to the vodka extract to taste if you feel it needs it...
> > --

> Much better with brandy or cognac Rum will do in a pinch....

Brandy is good. I've done Brandy fruit extractions in the past as
Christmas gifts.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:52:50 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> >There seem to be a number of varieties. I've had trouble growing them
>> >here. Probably not enough water.
>> >
>> >Since the Asparagus raised bed is not doing well, I may re-convert that
>> >to a strawberry bed. I dunno. I think they do best in a sandy soil? I
>> >could modify the top layer in that bed, then go from there.
>> >
>> >California imported strawberries are typically better than the local
>> >Poteet strawberries.

>> Ours grow very well in amended clay. The only times we got poor
>> production was the year that it got down into the 20's 4 nights in a
>> row and froze the berries and last year when it rained too much and
>> the berries rotted. Check with your county agricultural agent to see
>> what varieties do the best in your area.
>> --
>> Susan N.

>I will do that, thanks!
>I've found good deals in the past on bulk berry plants on ebay.

How many are you planning to buy? We just got 100 plants from Miller
Nursery for $48 including shipping.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, Florida strawberries are the sweetest but
aren't here very long before the California supplies take over. They
aren't as good.

It shocked me yesterday to read that Sarasota, Florida farmers are
ploughing under their strawberry crops because the price is so
disastrous. I know our local market is carrying them 3 pounds for $5.
Not much profit by the time it gets back to the farmer.

Sad, when Florida had such a cold winter and many crops were
threatened.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
gloria.p > wrote:
>Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

>>> I think that is true about all local produce. The best stuff doesn't
>>> ship as well at its peak. That's just reality, so if you can't get
>>> local, you're already getting second best most of the time.

>That's an interesting statement because I've often heard the opposite:
>
>"We don't get good yxz because the best quality is all shipped out for a
>better price. We get the seconds/inferior quality."

Interesting. Where have you heard that from?

I grew up in California's Central Valley. Good produce made its way to
farmstands and the grocers that were fussy about their produce, but I can
tell you that a lot of the real field-fresh/vine/tree-ripe stuff went
straight to the processing plants to be canned or (later) frozen.

Mind you, I live in Berkeley, where the truck farmers all truck their
stuff because they get top dollar at our farmer's and specialty markets.
It does not get the same price in the heart of the farmland, but you can
still find pretty damn good stuff. You can't find it at every grocery -
I recall the Lucky's in Davis having rock-hard tomatoes in the middle of
July in the midst of the local tomato harvest - but it's very findable.

My parents live in deepest suburbia in Sacramento County, in a place that
was orchards and farmlands when my dad was in high school. There is still
one good farmstand left and one of the local grocers is picky about
produce. Mom grew up in the farmland north of Sacramento and worked the
cannery during summers, and she only buys produce at farmstands or at
Raley's.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > > Well, there is always strawberry extracting. Slice them in half and put
> > > them in a quart jar.
> > >
> > > Fill the jar with Vodka.
> > >
> > > Let sit for 1 week MINIMUM.
> > >
> > > Remove strawberries, slice, serve with vanilla ice cream.
> > >
> > > Enjoy with small shots of the strawberry vodka!
> > >
> > > Add sugar to the vodka extract to taste if you feel it needs it...
> > > --

> > Much better with brandy or cognac Rum will do in a pinch....

> Brandy is good. I've done Brandy fruit extractions in the past as
> Christmas gifts.
> --

We used to do that all the time, as a Rumtopf. However, not been done in
ages

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> >I will do that, thanks!
> >I've found good deals in the past on bulk berry plants on ebay.

> How many are you planning to buy? We just got 100 plants from Miller
> Nursery for $48 including shipping.
> --
> Susan N.

eBay plant sellers have a lot of good deals.

Here are 100 plants for a "buy it now" price of $19.99 plus $10.85
shipping: <http://tinyurl.com/yhxh8o4>

Last time I put in a strawberry patch, that is the number I bought.

Other than herbs tho', I've still not decided if I'm going to do much
real gardening this year. It's always cost me an astronomical amount of
money in water, so it makes it cheaper to hit the farmers market, or
just buy veggies and stuff in the grocery store.

There is, however, no substitute for vine ripe tomatoes. I've
considered just using those two very large pots I have and container
growing them to conserve on water usage...
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Much better with brandy or cognac Rum will do in a pinch....

> > Brandy is good. I've done Brandy fruit extractions in the past as
> > Christmas gifts.
> > --

> We used to do that all the time, as a Rumtopf. However, not been done in
> ages

Herbed vinegars are less expensive and always appreciated. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:19:27 -0600:

> >> I will do that, thanks!
> >> I've found good deals in the past on bulk berry plants on
> >> ebay.

>> How many are you planning to buy? We just got 100 plants
>> from Miller Nursery for $48 including shipping. -- Susan N.

> eBay plant sellers have a lot of good deals.

> Here are 100 plants for a "buy it now" price of $19.99 plus
> $10.85 shipping: <http://tinyurl.com/yhxh8o4>

> Last time I put in a strawberry patch, that is the number I
> bought.

My grandfather had a radical (and successful) approach to strawberry
growing. He used a lot of fertilizer and his patch was three lawn mower
widths in breadth. After the strawberry season, he ran the mower once
thro the patch and allowed the runners to fill it in.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> >> How many are you planning to buy? We just got 100 plants
> >> from Miller Nursery for $48 including shipping. -- Susan N.

> > eBay plant sellers have a lot of good deals.

> > Here are 100 plants for a "buy it now" price of $19.99 plus
> > $10.85 shipping: <http://tinyurl.com/yhxh8o4>

> > Last time I put in a strawberry patch, that is the number I
> > bought.

> My grandfather had a radical (and successful) approach to strawberry
> growing. He used a lot of fertilizer and his patch was three lawn mower
> widths in breadth. After the strawberry season, he ran the mower once
> thro the patch and allowed the runners to fill it in.

Hm. That sounds like a good idea. The runners can be rather prolific and
I understand they can really cut berry production.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Storing fruits and veggies without plastic Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 1 23-06-2010 03:50 AM
Washing Fruits and Veggies: Is Water Enough? mrosen777 General Cooking 17 02-12-2009 06:45 AM
can veggies and fruits Richard Vegan 1 09-01-2008 11:39 PM
Fruits and veggies making us sick? Steve General Cooking 236 29-12-2005 05:38 PM
Dehydrated or Freeze-dried fruits/veggies Wendy M. Gable Vegetarian cooking 1 28-01-2005 06:01 PM