Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Cookbooks on Their Way

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> I have wanted to own Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French
> Cooking for a long time, but haven't gotten around to getting it. Well,
> I got one of those Good Cook offers in the mail and decided to have
> another go at it. I've had pretty good luck with them in the past, even
> though their shipping is outrageous. I have a strategy of how I pick
> the books I want, then buy something that interests me, but is
> inexpensive to fulfill my obligation with them.
>
> Well, this time, I did a search for MAFC, and found it. It is a new
> printing with pictures from the stupid movie on the cover, but it is the
> same book for a dollar. I also ordered Rustic Fruit Desserts, Artisan
> Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Forgotten Skills of Cooking and The
> Backyard Homestead, for half off and to cut down on the number of books
> I have to buy later (it was $9.48 after the discount). So, five books
> for the price of one: $27.18. Not too shabby, I think. That's a
> little less than $5.50 each.

Not bad, but I have recently begun looking in thrift stores for
cookbooks. They are usually ~$2.50. I have seen MAFC plus a ton
of various Frugal Gourmet titles. Many of the cookbooks look as if they
have never been opened. I bought MFK Fisher's "The Art of Eating" and
Julia CHild's "My Life in France" (not strictly a cookbook) for $1 each.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:46:39 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> I have wanted to own Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French
>> Cooking for a long time, but haven't gotten around to getting it. Well,
>> I got one of those Good Cook offers in the mail and decided to have
>> another go at it. I've had pretty good luck with them in the past, even
>> though their shipping is outrageous. I have a strategy of how I pick
>> the books I want, then buy something that interests me, but is
>> inexpensive to fulfill my obligation with them.
>>
>> Well, this time, I did a search for MAFC, and found it. It is a new
>> printing with pictures from the stupid movie on the cover, but it is the
>> same book for a dollar. I also ordered Rustic Fruit Desserts, Artisan
>> Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Forgotten Skills of Cooking and The
>> Backyard Homestead, for half off and to cut down on the number of books
>> I have to buy later (it was $9.48 after the discount). So, five books
>> for the price of one: $27.18. Not too shabby, I think. That's a
>> little less than $5.50 each.
>>

>Not bad, but I have recently begun looking in thrift stores for
>cookbooks. They are usually ~$2.50. I have seen MAFC plus a ton
>of various Frugal Gourmet titles. Many of the cookbooks look as if they
>have never been opened. I bought MFK Fisher's "The Art of Eating" and
>Julia CHild's "My Life in France" (not strictly a cookbook) for $1 each.
>
>gloria p

I paid $3.00 for my copy of MAFC. It is in pretty good shape,
slightly faded cover. There is nothing to indicate edition or
printing. Second volume I paid $10.00 for and it is a first edition.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> I have wanted to own Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French
>> Cooking for a long time, but haven't gotten around to getting it.
>> Well, I got one of those Good Cook offers in the mail and decided to
>> have another go at it. I've had pretty good luck with them in the
>> past, even though their shipping is outrageous. I have a strategy of
>> how I pick the books I want, then buy something that interests me, but
>> is inexpensive to fulfill my obligation with them.
>> Well, this time, I did a search for MAFC, and found it. It is a
>> new printing with pictures from the stupid movie on the cover, but it
>> is the same book for a dollar. I also ordered Rustic Fruit Desserts,
>> Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Forgotten Skills of Cooking and
>> The Backyard Homestead, for half off and to cut down on the number of
>> books I have to buy later (it was $9.48 after the discount). So, five
>> books for the price of one: $27.18. Not too shabby, I think. That's
>> a little less than $5.50 each.
>>

> Not bad, but I have recently begun looking in thrift stores for
> cookbooks. They are usually ~$2.50. I have seen MAFC plus a ton
> of various Frugal Gourmet titles. Many of the cookbooks look as if they
> have never been opened. I bought MFK Fisher's "The Art of Eating" and
> Julia CHild's "My Life in France" (not strictly a cookbook) for $1 each.
>
> gloria p

Shhhhh. Don't let the secret out!

--
Jean B.

Used Cookbooks The Cook General Cooking 3 05-08-2009 11:25 PM
Cookbooks aem General Cooking 0 12-12-2007 06:27 PM
NEW COOKBOOKS [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-02-2007 03:01 AM
COOKBOOKS,NEW ONES [email protected] General Cooking 1 03-02-2007 07:19 PM
cookbooks... ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 3 16-10-2004 03:40 AM