Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Danish pastries

I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
year. The fillings are made from scratch too.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:49:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
>leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
>literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
>year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
>http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Nice job... 8 dozen is a lot of work, especially when so many
fillings. But you forgot my favorite, prune.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:49:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
> literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Oh, my goodness - I put on five pounds just looking at them.
Good job!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
> literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

OMG, lemon is my absolute favorite, or maybe it is cheese, or pecan,
cinnamon or chocolate. Well, I can not choose a favorite, they all look
wonderful. Great job, your coworkers are lucky to have you. Where
should I apply for a job???

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:49*pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. *I take a few in to work. *I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. *They
> literally take all day to make. *That's why I only make them twice a
> year. *The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Very nice- one year I made sourdough danish- tasty!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:49*pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. *I take a few in to work. *I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. *They
> literally take all day to make. *That's why I only make them twice a
> year. *The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Do the right thing and send me say...3 or 4.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 5:49�pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. �I take a few in to work. �I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. �They
> literally take all day to make. �That's why I only make them twice a
> year. �The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

I've added a few more pictures showing how they're made. The strange
thing is after I get done baking them I don't want to eat one until
the next day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> wrote:
>> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
>> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
>> literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
>> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> OMG, lemon is my absolute favorite, or maybe it is cheese, or pecan,
> cinnamon or chocolate. Well, I can not choose a favorite, they all
> look wonderful. Great job, your coworkers are lucky to have you.
> Where should I apply for a job???

Wow, I missed the '8 dozen' part. They look fabulous.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> I've added a few more pictures showing how they're made. The strange
> thing is after I get done baking them I don't want to eat one until
> the next day.

Thanks for the photos, it took a lot of work to make all of those. We
have the same measuring spoons. Now that the paint has worn off, I have
to give an educated guess as to how much I am measuring. lol I have
two other sets, but I think my ex may have them.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 2:49*pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. *I take a few in to work. *I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. *They
> literally take all day to make. *That's why I only make them twice a
> year. *The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

looks, mahvelous dahlink! 8 dozen at a time. if i beg, grovel, &
whine or just plain ask nicely, would you mind sharing the recipe?

harriet & critters (faddy & tabby)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Ohfer!! Showoff!! <grin> That's amazing! I salute you.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Angel Food Dessert, March 23, 2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:49:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
>> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
>> literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
>> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>>
>> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> Nice job... 8 dozen is a lot of work, especially when so many
> fillings. But you forgot my favorite, prune.

And almond!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 9:48�pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
�Too bad you have to freeze them--don't they get soggy when
> thawed?
>
> gloria p

Not really. I wait until they're completely cool and then I wrap each
one in plastic wrap. I freeze them and when theyre frozen I put them
inside DOUBLE freezer bags. Doing all this helps keep them fresh. The
ones I eat 6 months later are just as good as the ones from the first
day. When I want some I just take out what I need and let them thaw
with the plastic wrap still wrapped around them. To heat them I put
them in a 350� oven for 2 or 3 minutes. Usually though I just eat
them at room temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
> literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Too fun!!!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:49:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I
>leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They
>literally take all day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
>year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
>http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Amazing!!!

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 03/21/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio

>I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. I take a few in to work. I> leave a
>few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. They> literally take all
>day to make. That's why I only make them twice a
> year. The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

That's an incredibly effective way to display them, and they look fabulous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 8:01�pm, "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2:49�pm, " > wrote:
>
> > I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. �I take a few in to work. �I
> > leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. �They
> > literally take all day to make. �That's why I only make them twice a
> > year. �The fillings are made from scratch too.

> >http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> looks, mahvelous dahlink! �8 dozen at a time. �if i beg, grovel, &
> whine or just plain ask nicely, would you mind sharing the recipe?
>
> harriet & critters (faddy & tabby)

I've put the recipe for the dough on Recipezaar.com.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Danish-Pas...n-Rolls-269806

Be sure to pay special attention to step 12 where I say to use plenty
of flour when you first roll out the dough. This is a very soft dough
and it will stick if you don't use enough flour on your work surface.
At step 28 you have a basic Danish pastry dough. You can either
continue on and make the cinnamon rolls or you can use the dough to
make other types of Danish. The baking times and temperature are the
same. Of course you'll have to make adjustments according to the way
your oven bakes. Also, be sure to either use parchment paper or non-
stick spray on your baking pans. Otherwise the Danish will stick.

As far as the other shapes go, it's a little too involved to go into
all the detail here but you can simply do a internet search for Danish
pastry shapes and there will be plenty of sites that show how to make
the different shapes. The recipe I posted will make 24 Danishes
approximately 4 to 5 inches in diameter. You can also cut the
completed dough in half and make 12 shapes using one half and 12
different shapes using the other half. The fruit fillings I use are
simply homemade pie fillings that I've scaled down. This is not the
type of recipe to make if you're in a hurry. The steps really aren't
complicated. It's just that there's a lot of resting time in between
each step. I usually make the dough late and night and make the
actual pastries the next day. Because of the heavy amount of cold
butter used in the dough they take forever to rise. By forever I mean
4 to 6 hours. Of course if you keep your house warmer than mine yours
might rise faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 5:49�pm, " > wrote:
> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. �I take a few in to work. �I
> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. �They
> literally take all day to make. �That's why I only make them twice a
> year. �The fillings are made from scratch too.
>
> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

Now that you've seen them, how much would you be willing to pay for
them? A neighbor of mine has asked if I would make a few dozen for
her for a family get together she's having next month. She's offered
to pay for them but I want to come up with a price that's fair to both
of us. They cost me an average of 33 cents a piece in ingredient
costs. Not counting the actual baking time, it takes about 7 hours of
actual work time to make 8 dozen pastries. Three of those hours are
used to make the dough. So whether I make enough dough for 2 dozen or
8 dozen it's still going to take 3 hours to make the dough. The
remaining hours are used to make the fruit fillings and for creating
the individual pastries. A local bakery that's suppose to be one of
the better bakeries sells a similar item for a dollar each. To be
honest though I don't think they're all that great. The dough is just
so so and the fillings taste artificial. The cherry tastes like cough
syrup. Okay, maybe not actual cough syrup but it tastes like the
cherry flavor that's used in cough syrup. I certainly wouldn't sell
mine for less than a dollar each considering all the work that's
involved but I'm wondering if I should go higher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:17:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 5:49?pm, " > wrote:
> > I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. ?I take a few in to work. ?I
> > leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. ?They
> > literally take all day to make. ?That's why I only make them twice a
> > year. ?The fillings are made from scratch too.
> >
> > http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> Now that you've seen them, how much would you be willing to pay for
> them? A neighbor of mine has asked if I would make a few dozen for
> her for a family get together she's having next month. She's offered
> to pay for them but I want to come up with a price that's fair to both
> of us. They cost me an average of 33 cents a piece in ingredient
> costs. Not counting the actual baking time, it takes about 7 hours of
> actual work time to make 8 dozen pastries. Three of those hours are
> used to make the dough. So whether I make enough dough for 2 dozen or
> 8 dozen it's still going to take 3 hours to make the dough. The
> remaining hours are used to make the fruit fillings and for creating
> the individual pastries. A local bakery that's suppose to be one of
> the better bakeries sells a similar item for a dollar each. To be
> honest though I don't think they're all that great. The dough is just
> so so and the fillings taste artificial. The cherry tastes like cough
> syrup. Okay, maybe not actual cough syrup but it tastes like the
> cherry flavor that's used in cough syrup. I certainly wouldn't sell
> mine for less than a dollar each considering all the work that's
> involved but I'm wondering if I should go higher.

Do the math. What's your time worth and do you want to make a profit?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mar 24, 5:49�pm, " > wrote:
>> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. �I take a few in to work. �I
>> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. �They
>> literally take all day to make. �That's why I only make them twice a
>> year. �The fillings are made from scratch too.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

> Now that you've seen them, how much would you be willing to pay for
> them? A neighbor of mine has asked if I would make a few dozen for
> her for a family get together she's having next month. She's offered
> to pay for them but I want to come up with a price that's fair to both
> of us. They cost me an average of 33 cents a piece in ingredient
> costs. Not counting the actual baking time, it takes about 7 hours of
> actual work time to make 8 dozen pastries. Three of those hours are
> used to make the dough. So whether I make enough dough for 2 dozen or
> 8 dozen it's still going to take 3 hours to make the dough. The
> remaining hours are used to make the fruit fillings and for creating
> the individual pastries. A local bakery that's suppose to be one of
> the better bakeries sells a similar item for a dollar each. To be
> honest though I don't think they're all that great. The dough is just
> so so and the fillings taste artificial. The cherry tastes like cough
> syrup. Okay, maybe not actual cough syrup but it tastes like the
> cherry flavor that's used in cough syrup. I certainly wouldn't sell
> mine for less than a dollar each considering all the work that's
> involved but I'm wondering if I should go higher.

$15-$20 a dozen? For most homemade stuff like crafts the advisory has
usually been something like 3x the cost of the ingredients, but that
doesn't really address the amount of time you invest in the final product.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:17:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 24, 5:49?pm, " > wrote:
>> I make 8 dozen of these twice a year. ?I take a few in to work. ?I
>> leave a few out to eat on and I wrap and freeze the rest. ?They
>> literally take all day to make. ?That's why I only make them twice a
>> year. ?The fillings are made from scratch too.
>>
>> http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

>Now that you've seen them, how much would you be willing to pay for
>them? A neighbor of mine has asked if I would make a few dozen for
>her for a family get together she's having next month. She's offered
>to pay for them but I want to come up with a price that's fair to both
>of us. They cost me an average of 33 cents a piece in ingredient
>costs. Not counting the actual baking time, it takes about 7 hours of
>actual work time to make 8 dozen pastries. Three of those hours are
>used to make the dough. So whether I make enough dough for 2 dozen or
>8 dozen it's still going to take 3 hours to make the dough. The
>remaining hours are used to make the fruit fillings and for creating
>the individual pastries. A local bakery that's suppose to be one of
>the better bakeries sells a similar item for a dollar each. To be
>honest though I don't think they're all that great. The dough is just
>so so and the fillings taste artificial. The cherry tastes like cough
>syrup. Okay, maybe not actual cough syrup but it tastes like the
>cherry flavor that's used in cough syrup. I certainly wouldn't sell
>mine for less than a dollar each considering all the work that's
>involved but I'm wondering if I should go higher.

I have a neighbor who owns the local gas station with convenience
store... baking is his hobby... he makes very nice danish daily.
Occasionally I buy a couple, no more than two because they are so good
that if I bought a dozen I'd eat them all in a day. He also bakes
linzer tarts, very good too. He bakes a gross of assorted danish
early each morning, he charges $1.99 each, he's all sold out well
before noon. I think $2/per is a very fair price. If the local
pizzeria can charge $2/slice you can charge $2 for a danish. The
price has very little to do with the cost of ingredients (the value of
shopping, schlepping, and storage is more), you have a lot of time and
a tremendous amount of labor invested, not to mention your equipment,
clean up, and all the utilities; electric and hot water ain't cheap...
I bet you have your kitchen lights on all that time. I think that if
you actually costed out every element (including use of your
automobile) you'd be lucky to net that 33¢ each for yourself. My
neighbor with the convenience store makes his profit on the other
items folks purchase because they are drawn in by his baked goods...
while your oven is hot and you're there anyway may as well bake other
items to market too... otherwise you'll essentially be baking danish
for free. If your neighbor can buy your danish for $2 and sell them
for $2.50 then she will be netting more than you for doing nothing.
Don't laugh, this is how business is conducted every day. Good luck.

Pastries with a Purpose! LAG Tea 0 26-02-2010 10:04 PM
Take this Freedom Fries: Iran Renames Danish Pastries [email protected] General Cooking 79 22-02-2006 08:43 PM
Flakey pastries reqluq Baking 18 20-01-2006 07:54 PM
Lemon Pastries Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 15-11-2005 06:00 AM
Messy Pastries Jay P Francis Baking 5 17-03-2004 04:28 AM