Old 23-03-2010, 06:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substituting 2% milk for whole milk.

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

Old 23-03-2010, 06:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:09:08 +0000 (UTC), Handy Gandy
wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

Use it 1:1. No problem.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Handy Gandy wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not
want to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned
as a kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.
Old 23-03-2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:25:15 -0700, spamtrap1888 wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Handy Gandy wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I normally
use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit. If so
how much should I reduce it?

What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not want
to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned as a
kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.

pots de creme, this version the milk is the only creme/milk product.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Handy Gandy wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:25:15 -0700, spamtrap1888 wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Handy Gandy wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I normally
use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit. If so
how much should I reduce it?

What's the recipe about? Is it a very old one? Generally you do not want
to boil milk unless you want to denature the proteins. I learned as a
kid that boiling milk would make the hot chocolate taste nasty.

pots de creme, this version the milk is the only creme/milk product.

I wouldn't boil it to reduce the volume at all. Maybe add a tablespoon
of butter to increase the richness -- increase the fat in your
reduced-fat milk. JAT.

Have a look at this thread on America's Test Kitchen's discussion board"
http://www.americastestkitchentv.com...?postID=193500
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Old 23-03-2010, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. That would be approximately one
teaspoon.

-- Larry
Old 23-03-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit..
If so how much should I reduce it?

Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. �That would be approximately one
teaspoon.

-- Larry

Whole milk is not 100%. The percentage refers to the amount of
butterfat in the milk by weight. If it were 100% you would have
butter. Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I normally
use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit. If so
how much should I reduce it?

I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.

Steve

Old 23-03-2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

Well, math is your friend. If going from 2% to whole milk -- 100% -- you should
obviously reduce it to 1/50th the volume. That would be approximately one
teaspoon.

Hee! I love it.

ObActualFood: Mortadella, red onions, and tomatoes on potato bread. Yumma.

Serene
--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Old 24-03-2010, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:24:39 -0700, Steve B wrote:

wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I
normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a
bit. If so how much should I reduce it?

I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.

Steve

If you do not boil it how can you be sure the egg is safely cooked?

Old 24-03-2010, 06:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk. I
normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a
bit. If so how much should I reduce it?

I'd use 2%, but I would not boil it.

Steve

If you do not boil it how can you be sure the egg is safely cooked?

Eggs only need to reach a minimum 160 F and they don't need to stay
at that temperature for any sustained amount of time.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...wers/index.asp

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 24-03-2010, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:58:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Whole milk is not 100%. The percentage refers to the amount of
butterfat in the milk by weight. If it were 100% you would have
butter. Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.

Whooosh!

Oh, AOL. Never mind.

-- Larry
Old 24-03-2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Whole milk is not 100%. *The percentage refers to the amount of
butterfat in the milk by weight. *If it were 100% you would have
butter. *Whole milk is only around 3.5% butterfat by weight.

Whooosh!

Oh, AOL. Never mind.

That's what djs... gets for trying to correct an idiot.

-- Larry

--Bryan
Old 24-03-2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 12:09*am, Handy Gandy wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for one cup boipling whole milk.
I normally use 2%, I was wondering if I could use that reducing it a bit.
If so how much should I reduce it?

I never have whole milk in the house; I buy whipping cream in small
amounts if I need it for a recipe that calls for whipped cream.

I use skim milk across the board, and it makes no difference at all in
how the recipe comes out.

N.
Old 24-03-2010, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking