Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Beef-A-Bomb

I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it
to be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of
beef-a-roni in the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me
from when I was a kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it
on. Heard "clunk, clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and
the microwave was wall-to-wall beefaroni.

Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it
> to be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of
> beef-a-roni in the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me
> from when I was a kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it
> on. Heard "clunk, clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and
> the microwave was wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>
> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

Did you peel away that inner cover under the plastic one?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it to
>be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of beef-a-roni in
>the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me from when I was a
>kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it on. Heard "clunk,
>clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and the microwave was
>wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>
> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

Oh come on, man, that's what you get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2010 6:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it
> to be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of
> beef-a-roni in the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me
> from when I was a kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it
> on. Heard "clunk, clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and
> the microwave was wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>
> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

Bowls like these will usually require some venting. Crack open the
plastic lid even a tiny bit and you'll do fine. If you're a lazy type
like me, or if you want to put a little excitement into your microwaving
endeavors, you can sometimes get away with letting the steam build up
enough pressure to automatically pop the lid with a satisfying pop.
OTOH, BOOM is typically not a good sign. Of course, you have to have a
clear understanding of what foods will allow you do this - Beef-A-Roni
is definitely in the category of foods that require pre-venting. Good
luck and don't give up!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2010 4:43 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/16/2010 6:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>> I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it
>> to be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of
>> beef-a-roni in the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me
>> from when I was a kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it
>> on. Heard "clunk, clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and
>> the microwave was wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>>
>> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
>> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

> Bowls like these will usually require some venting. Crack open the
> plastic lid even a tiny bit and you'll do fine.

It had holes in the plastic lid. Fair sized ones. And this wasn't a
matter of popping the lid, there was Beef-A-Roni all over the top of the
microwave (inside). Not a few spatters, it looked like somebody had
turned the thing upside down and poured it in.

> If you're a lazy type
> like me, or if you want to put a little excitement into your microwaving
> endeavors, you can sometimes get away with letting the steam build up
> enough pressure to automatically pop the lid with a satisfying pop.
> OTOH, BOOM is typically not a good sign. Of course, you have to have a
> clear understanding of what foods will allow you do this - Beef-A-Roni
> is definitely in the category of foods that require pre-venting. Good
> luck and don't give up!

Nahh, I'll just go back to opening a can and tossing it in a bowl. Too
much mess, and the stuff got in the vents to every time I use the
microwave now the place reeks of Beef-A-Roni.

If I do decide to try it again it goes on a plate with a big heavy bowl
inverted over it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it to
>be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of beef-a-roni in
>the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me from when I was a
>kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it on. Heard "clunk,
>clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and the microwave was
>wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>
> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

Re read the instructions - poke a hole?

Lift the corner?

--
Dimitri

Corned beef

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2010 3:08 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 3/17/2010 4:43 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/16/2010 6:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>>> I always figured Beef-A-Roni would catch up with me but didn't expect it
>>> to be quite like this. Put a "7.5 ounce microwavable bowl" of
>>> beef-a-roni in the microwave (no snide remarks--it's comfort food for me
>>> from when I was a kid), set it per the label directions, and turned it
>>> on. Heard "clunk, clunk, pop, pop, BOOM", checked what was going on and
>>> the microwave was wall-to-wall beefaroni.
>>>
>>> Dunno what went wrong, but I'm never gonna get one of _those_ packages
>>> again--never did that when I dumped into a bowl and put a plate on top.

>> Bowls like these will usually require some venting. Crack open the
>> plastic lid even a tiny bit and you'll do fine.

> It had holes in the plastic lid. Fair sized ones. And this wasn't a
> matter of popping the lid, there was Beef-A-Roni all over the top of the
> microwave (inside). Not a few spatters, it looked like somebody had
> turned the thing upside down and poured it in.

I'm not familiar with this product but the plastic lid is probably a
splatter shield - you still have to vent the plastic seal that keeps BAR
from spoiling. The big holes in the lid most likely means that you
should remover the seal completely before snapping on the splatter
shield. Please don't let this small setback discourage you.

Bomb burgers!? notbob General Cooking 18 02-02-2012 06:44 PM
Somebody set up us the chili bomb! Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-10-2007 10:54 AM
bomb making? treetoad Winemaking 10 28-03-2006 01:34 PM
smoke bomb Cam Barbecue 11 28-09-2005 08:46 PM
Alaska bomb Vox Humana Baking 5 29-01-2005 01:08 PM