Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen computers?

How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
computers that are smaller that would work.

Anyone doing this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 14, 12:28*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? *A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. *She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. *I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. *Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. *I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

I have several friends who incorporated a computer "station" into
their kitchen remodel. They love it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:28:01 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

When I don't feel like printing off a recipe, I'll take the netbook
into the kitchen. We have WiFi so I can get the internet in the
kitchen and if that's what I need, I have the option. I don't like
using the computer while I'm cooking though because I usually have
dirty hands and don't clean them off very well before touching the
keyboard. I could make quite a mess out of it if I did that with any
regularity.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while
> she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the
> bar top, or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be
> imported by flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't
> running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

Yep - we have a desktop in my office, a large laptop in the bedroom & in the
Kitchen/family room we keep a "babylap" or notebook I got on Woot for less
than 300.00.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 2:28 pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

I have a digital picture frame on a cupboard door and use it to
display recipes kept on the computer upstairs. Takes up no counter
space.

Some recipes are ones I've captured with a digital camera (e.g. from
borrowed cookbooks, magazines, "copied" handwritten ones, etc.) For
others that are in text, HTML, or other computer/displayable form, I
just use PrintScrn to capture and copy the screen image to a file.
Either way, it's a jpeg image I copy to an SD card and plug into the
digital picture frame.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while
> she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the
> bar top, or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be
> imported by flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't
> running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

I'm not willing to give up valuable counter space. Printed recipes work
well enough. It is not a place to sit and play on the computer but I guess
it could be when waiting 10 minutes for the next step.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:01:10 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

> I have a digital picture frame on a cupboard door and use it to
> display recipes kept on the computer upstairs. Takes up no counter
> space.

That's a great idea! I know nothing about digital frames.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while
> she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the
> bar top, or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be
> imported by flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't
> running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

My computer has never been located anywhere else but the kitchen
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar wrote on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:01:10 -0700 (PDT):

> On Mar 14, 2:28 pm, "Steve BE" > wrote:
>> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend
>> of mine has one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can
>> pull up recipes while she's in the kitchen. I don't know if
>> I would put an Internet capable computer in there, but to
>> just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top,
>> or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could
>> be imported by flash drive, and if the other internet
>> programs weren't running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard
>> drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old computers
>> that are smaller that would work.
>>
>> Anyone doing this?

> I have a digital picture frame on a cupboard door and use it
> to display recipes kept on the computer upstairs. Takes up no
> counter space.

> Some recipes are ones I've captured with a digital camera
> (e.g. from borrowed cookbooks, magazines, "copied" handwritten
> ones, etc.) For others that are in text, HTML, or other
> computer/displayable form, I just use PrintScrn to capture and
> copy the screen image to a file. Either way, it's a jpeg image
> I copy to an SD card and plug into the digital picture frame.

That's a neat idea! I'll have to see if I can do it too!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 3:28*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? *A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. *She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. *I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. *Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. *I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

Not low-tech me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while
> she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the
> bar top, or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be
> imported by flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't
> running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

When we remodeled the kitchen the last time, we put an overhang on the
peninsula. I did not think we would wnat to sit at this counter. We bought
some barstools, and that is where I am now. I do my work from the computer
here and also have it handy for recipes and rec.food. The lap top is put
away when we eat at the counter or have guests and are sitting there
visiting. I have a full size keyboard for when I have a large amount of
data entry or documents to write. It and the laptop slip into a small
cabinet when not in use, but that is rare.

We will be moving soon, and will have pretty much the same set up.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:28:01 -0700, Steve B wrote:

> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text.

And that takes up less room and is more convenient than a piece of
paper or a book, how?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 14 Mar 2010 03:28:01p, Steve B wrote in rec.food.cooking
> >:
>
>> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of
>> mine has one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull
>> up recipes while she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would
>> put an Internet capable computer in there, but to just have a
>> keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or hidden away would
>> be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by flash
>> drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it
>> wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
>> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would
>> work.
>>
>> Anyone doing this?
>>

> I would if I had an extra. I like some of the ideas in this
> thread, especially the digital photo frame thing. My mom would
> love something like that, too.
>
> As for gunky keyboards that I've seen mentioned, there are always
> keyboard covers to keep food out.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykuzztv
> (links to a google search for laptop keyboard covers. Amazon has a
> few)

I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the corded type,
you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Really.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the
>> corded type, you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
>> Really.

> True. I've done it. But that doesn't apply to laptop keyboards
> unless you know how to take one out of the case and put it back in
> without breaking something. I thought many here were talking about
> laptops. They'd be more convenient in the kitchen than a desktop.

I can't speak for other people, but I am able to remove the keyboard from my
laptop without a great deal of difficulty. That being said, I have no
interest in putting it into the dishwasher.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2010 2:28 PM, Steve B wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

The netbook sometimes goes in the kitchen and sits on top of the fridge
or in a high cupboard to display a recipe.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
<snip>
> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the corded type,
> you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Really.

Hmm... only problem with that is all keyboards are not created equal!
Some would simply never work again if washed at all, never mind a
dishwasher

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen?

Sort of. My kitchen is open plan, so I have a desk in the living room
which is hard up against one of the kitchen benches - all I do is swivel
the monitor around to face into the kitchen to read a recipe, or whatever.

The mouse can sit on the bench as well if need be. So could the
keyboard, but you may as well simply walk around the bench and sit at
the desk if you want to type something.

> A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while

she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it

wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.

That could work, or you could simply go wireless for Internet connectivity.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

Sort of.

My main computer, and where I keep my recipe collection, is a Mac. Now,
Macs come with a web server (Apache) pre-installed, and it just takes
one click to get it running. I use the excellent MacGourmet to handle
the recipe collection, and it provides an easy way to put any number of
selected recipes on that web server.

So, any computer that happens to be in the kitchen automatically has
access to all the recipes needed for any cooking, just by using any
browser to visit my main Mac's recipes page. I have an older laptop that
I can take to the kitchen whenever I want. If there are two or three
"visiting" computers, each can access the recipes independently. If I
happened to want to, I could even take that laptop out in the yard, to
where the grill is. Works beautifully.

And there's no "kitchen computer" to sit on the counter mostly unused,
but gathering an ever-thicker layer of "stuff".

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:28:01 -0700, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>
> > How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> > one,
> > and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> > the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> > there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> > hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> > flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it
> > wouldn't
> > take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> > computers that are smaller that would work.
> >
> > Anyone doing this?
> >

> When I don't feel like printing off a recipe, I'll take the netbook
> into the kitchen. We have WiFi so I can get the internet in the
> kitchen and if that's what I need, I have the option. I don't like
> using the computer while I'm cooking though because I usually have
> dirty hands and don't clean them off very well before touching the
> keyboard. I could make quite a mess out of it if I did that with any
> regularity.

Just lay a piece of plastic wrap across the keyboard, and tuck the sides
under. Same for the screen, if you're really messy...

Isac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 14 Mar 2010 10:17:05p, Steve B wrote in rec.food.cooking
> <news >
>>> As for gunky keyboards that I've seen mentioned, there are
>>> always keyboard covers to keep food out.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ykuzztv
>>> (links to a google search for laptop keyboard covers. Amazon
>>> has a few)

>> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the
>> corded type, you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
>> Really.

> True. I've done it. But that doesn't apply to laptop keyboards
> unless you know how to take one out of the case and put it back in
> without breaking something. I thought many here were talking about
> laptops. They'd be more convenient in the kitchen than a desktop.

I DID say corded, Missy. I wouldn't take a laptop out on a humid day. A
low power, low RAM, low hard drive capacity computer I have that would work
in the kitchen. I don't want to go out and spend bucks for a laptop for the
kitchen.

Unless those darn Lotto folks will draw the right numbers this week.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> Steve B wrote:
> <snip>
>> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the corded
>> type,
>> you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Really.

> Hmm... only problem with that is all keyboards are not created equal!
> Some would simply never work again if washed at all, never mind a
> dishwasher
>
> --
> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
> by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

If it's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, what's the
difference?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:28:01 -0700, "Steve B"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
>> > one,
>> > and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's
>> > in
>> > the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer
>> > in
>> > there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top,
>> > or
>> > hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported
>> > by
>> > flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it
>> > wouldn't
>> > take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two
>> > old
>> > computers that are smaller that would work.
>> >
>> > Anyone doing this?
>> >

>> When I don't feel like printing off a recipe, I'll take the netbook
>> into the kitchen. We have WiFi so I can get the internet in the
>> kitchen and if that's what I need, I have the option. I don't like
>> using the computer while I'm cooking though because I usually have
>> dirty hands and don't clean them off very well before touching the
>> keyboard. I could make quite a mess out of it if I did that with any
>> regularity.

> Just lay a piece of plastic wrap across the keyboard, and tuck the sides
> under. Same for the screen, if you're really messy...
>
> Isac

Have you been snooping in my kitchen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> I don't want to go out and spend bucks for a laptop for the kitchen.
>
> Unless those darn Lotto folks will draw the right numbers this week.

If the Lotto worked out for me, I'd have a laptop for the kitchen...
complete with someone carrying it around to hold it up for me as I move from
place to place!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has
> one, and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while
> she's in the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the
> bar top, or hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be
> imported by flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't
> running, it wouldn't take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly
> text. I have two old computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

I have never had a problem with a gunked up computer as a result of it being
located in my kitchen. My current and only computer is a desktop and is 10
years old. The CPU and monitor get dusty sometimes, but never gunky. It's
sitting next to the MW at an eating space, a few feet from everything else
in my tiny kitchen. I guess we must just wash our hands. I find it very
convenient. I can do office work, answer the phone, keep an eye on the
laundry, watch the bread rise and keep an eye on the pot roast, all from one
central location.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>How many people have a computer in their kitchen? ...

A friend has a digital photo frame mounted in his kitchen, with his recipes in
image form on a memory card.No keyboard or wires, works great, costs way under
$100.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 3:28*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? *A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. *She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. *I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. *Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. *I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

Not me.

1. My kitchen barely has room for kitchen-y things.
2. Wouldn't it be nice if there was someplace you could go to get
away
from the damned things?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2010 11:37 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>
>>> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the
>>> corded type, you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
>>> Really.

>> True. I've done it. But that doesn't apply to laptop keyboards
>> unless you know how to take one out of the case and put it back in
>> without breaking something. I thought many here were talking about
>> laptops. They'd be more convenient in the kitchen than a desktop.

> I can't speak for other people, but I am able to remove the keyboard
> from my laptop without a great deal of difficulty. That being said, I
> have no interest in putting it into the dishwasher.

Whether it will wash in the dishwasher is a crapshoot. Works OK with
cheap keyboards, not so good with an IBM Model M (it did work better
after going through the dishwasher than it did full of Pepsi, but it
wasn't 100 percent). Markings will wash off of some of them too. If you
want a keyboard for the kitchen try one of these:
<http://www.sealshield.com/products.htm>. Not horribly expensive either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

No computer, TV or anything on which to listen to music in the kitchen.
Despite my best efforts, the kitchen environment just isn't *clean*
enough for those things to be present. The TV is in the living room and
can be heard from the kitchen. The computer is in the office and I don't
use that for cooking purposes anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in
:

> How many people have a computer in their kitchen?

Yep, a laptop with a pretty cool cooling fan thingy that it sits on, that
gives out a blue light when it's on :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in
:

> I don't know if I would put an Internet capable
> computer in there,

Think laptop, with wireless broadband.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Steve B wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I have read in more than one newsgroup if your keyboard is the corded
>>> type,
>>> you can wash it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Really.

>> Hmm... only problem with that is all keyboards are not created equal!
>> Some would simply never work again if washed at all, never mind a
>> dishwasher
>>

> If it's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, what's the
> difference?

In that case - go for it

I'm generally happy to use 'old school' keyboards on most of my
computers. Over time I've collected a box full rather cheaply. If one of
my keyboards dies, I'll just grab another one out of the box. I have no
need for all the extra extraneous buttons and other crap so prevalent on
modern k/boards.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2010 3:28 PM, Steve B wrote:
> How many people have a computer in their kitchen? A friend of mine has one,
> and I thought it was a tv monitor. She can pull up recipes while she's in
> the kitchen. I don't know if I would put an Internet capable computer in
> there, but to just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen on the bar top, or
> hidden away would be okay just for storage. Recipes could be imported by
> flash drive, and if the other internet programs weren't running, it wouldn't
> take much RAM or hard drive, as it would be mostly text. I have two old
> computers that are smaller that would work.
>
> Anyone doing this?

I will move a laptop to the kitchen counter or use my blackberry bold
also. I have lots of recipes on my blackberry as well as access to my
google docs for more recipes, plus with recipes at my finger tips on my
mobile it makes shopping for ingredients easier as I can pull up recipes
right in store on mobile.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> from piedmont > contains these words:
>
> But who wants to be touching a keyboard or mouse in the middle of food
> prep?
> If I wanted a recipe computer in the kitchen it would have to be>
> completely voice-interactive, with its own search engine operating
> on my command and speaking recipes aloud to me.

Soap water wash

Of course I have a computer near where I work. I keep it clean, but I also
keep me clean. It's 12 feet from the work center so it only gets on it what
I put on it, which is basically nothing. I wash before and after using it.
I think I must was more often than most and that may explain why I have no
complaints about my SS appliances.

I write in two languages and two measuring systems. I need my virtual
friend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" ha scritto nel messaggio
> from "Giusi" contains these words:

>> > But who wants to be touching a keyboard or mouse in the middle of
>> > food >> > prep?

>> Soap water wash

> If I'm following a recipe from a book, I want it close to my work>
> centre not 12 feet away.
> The advantage of (good) recipe books is that they get the entire recipe>
> and method onto
> two facing pages so once it's open, I don't need to turn pages or handle>
> the book.
>
>> I write in two languages and two measuring systems. I need my virtual
>> friend.

> Most UK cooks also work in two measuring systems (metric and>
> imperial) My cookbooks, measuring jugs and kitchen scales all offer
> two measuring systems so no computer required.

The difference is, of course, that I am writing recipes and you're reading
them. Those British cookbook writers used a computer to make those dual
measurements correct-- or a calculator. Nearly the only time I use
cookbooks these days is if I am translating recipes and in that case I do it
in the computer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> But who wants to be touching a keyboard or mouse in the middle of
> food prep?
> If I wanted a recipe computer in the kitchen it would have to be
> completely voice-interactive, with its own search engine operating
> on my command and speaking recipes aloud to me.
>
> Janet

I keep my laptop on the bar of the kitchen counter and it doesn't seem
to get particularly dirty. If I need to scroll or something while my
hands are dirty, I can just wash them first

I love to be able to read here, or email, while things are simmering
away or baking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" ha scritto nel messaggio

> True. But do you write them up at the same time you're cooking ? Or>
> straight after?
>
> Janet

Mostly during because as changes happen I don't want to forget them. I'm
getting older.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote in message
> The message >
> from "Giusi" > contains these words:
>

>> "Janet Baraclough" ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > True. But do you write them up at the same time you're cooking ? Or>
>> > straight after?
>> >
>> > Janet

>> Mostly during because as changes happen I don't want to forget them. I'm
>> getting older.

> Who are you? :-)
>
> The only writing I do is in the cookbook margin, suggestions to me
> next time I make it.

Everyone here knows Guisi. Who are you?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Janet Baraclough" ha scritto nel messaggio
>

>> True. But do you write them up at the same time you're cooking ? Or>
>> straight after?
>>
>> Janet
>>

> Mostly during because as changes happen I don't want to forget them. I'm
> getting older.

Ditto. I've started single-tasking.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > wrote

> But who wants to be touching a keyboard or mouse in the middle of
> food prep?
>
> Janet

Me, for one.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote

> Ditto. I've started single-tasking.
>
> Becca

Multi-tasking: being able to do more than one thing at a time, but none of
them worth a darn.

Steve

Computers in the kitchen?? Why not. PIC PLucas1 General Cooking 11 17-03-2010 09:48 AM
Tea and computers Lewis Perin Tea 9 03-07-2008 06:12 AM
mac computers zara[_3_] Wine 20 14-10-2007 10:50 PM
Can computers smell... how will.. Barry General Cooking 1 24-04-2007 04:32 AM
Both computers crashed at the same time... zxcvbob General Cooking 57 05-05-2004 01:16 PM