Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A library book sale funny

Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
up in "his" corner. But I digress.

There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"

Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
which of course is in this booklet.)

So I'm out 50 cents :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>
> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>
> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> which of course is in this booklet.)
>
> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 10:52 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> > and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> > in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> > sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> > through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> > up in "his" corner. But I digress.

> > There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> > superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"

> > Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> > noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> > cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> > French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> > things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> > which of course is in this booklet.)

> > So I'm out 50 cents :-)

> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?
>
> Bob

Sure. Or home-made french fried onions, if one feels like going
through the trouble. Or perhaps good old crumbled potato chips. Same
with all the canned "cream-of" soups used in many of the recipes.
After all, we're not talking haute cuisine here :-)

I was just laughing at myself for not realizing that it was one big
advertisement for Durkee when I grabbed it.

Actually, here's a pretty tasty recipe from the booklet that I found
somewhere else and have made befo

Swiss Vegetable Medley

1 bag (16 ounces) frozen vegetable combination (broccoli, carrots,
cauliflower),
thawed and drained
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimiento, drained (optional)
1 can (2.8 ounces) Durkee French Fried Onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, combine vegetables,
soup, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the sour cream, pepper, pimiento, and 1/2
can French Fried Onions. Pour into shallow 1-quart casserole. Bake,
covered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until vegetables are
done. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions in diagonal rows across
top. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.

(I used fresh vegetables, blanched, and a white sauce and some chopped
mushrooms instead of the soup. I think I still used a can of their
onions, though.)

(It's not that I'm terribly averse to using canned soup and onions,
etc. - I just don't generally have them in my pantry.)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>
> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>
> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> which of course is in this booklet.)
>
> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.

That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 11:47 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> > Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> > and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9.

> That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.
>
> That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

How very true! I only have about 250, so can I call myself somewhat
less addicted? :-).

(The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook was a nice find this time.)

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 10:52 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Actually, here's a pretty tasty recipe from the booklet that I found
> somewhere else and have made befo
>
> Swiss Vegetable Medley
>
> 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen vegetable combination (broccoli, carrots,
> cauliflower),
> thawed and drained
> 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
> 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
> 1/3 cup sour cream
> 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimiento, drained (optional)
> 1 can (2.8 ounces) Durkee French Fried Onions

Does the cheese come from a can too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> up in "his" corner. But I digress.

Glad you found a few books. Our "Friends of the Library" get first
choice, that is one of the advantages to being a volunteer.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:45:58 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> which of course is in this booklet.)
>
> So I'm out 50 cents :-)

I don't use canned fried onion rings, but I put some on half the
casserole the last time I made my version of the green bean casserole
(because my son likes it that way) and it wasn't bad. It's not a
horrible product, I just don't have any use for canned onion rings.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:47:44 -0800, Dimitri wrote:

> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
>> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
>> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
>> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
>> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
>> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>>
>> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
>> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>>
>> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
>> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
>> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
>> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
>> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
>> which of course is in this booklet.)
>>
>> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.
>
> That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

it's a wonder we haven't seen stories of people crushed to death under an
avalanche of cookbooks, kinda like those you see about newspaper
hoarders...

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:50 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

> I was just laughing at myself for not realizing that it was one big
> advertisement for Durkee when I grabbed it.

Before the internet became the place for that sort of thing, companies
sold actual cookbooks with recipes using their products. I bought a
couple of Campbell's soup cookbooks back in the day. I don't think I
ever cooked from them, but they were inexpensive and I was curious.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?

Or crushed potato chips. Or crushed buttered Saltines, Ritz, Club crackers.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
>> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
>> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
>> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
>> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
>> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>>
>> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
>> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>>
>> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
>> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
>> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
>> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
>> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
>> which of course is in this booklet.)
>>
>> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?

Only if they come in cans!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
>> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
>> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
>> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
>> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
>> up in "his" corner. But I digress.

> Glad you found a few books. Our "Friends of the Library" get first
> choice, that is one of the advantages to being a volunteer.
>

> Becca

The Friends of the library sales are the best - around here it's $1.50 per
inch.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?

> Or crushed potato chips. Or crushed buttered Saltines, Ritz, Club crackers.
>
> -sw

Crushed corn flakes.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:50 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:
>
> > I was just laughing at myself for not realizing that it was one big
> > advertisement for Durkee when I grabbed it.

> Before the internet became the place for that sort of thing, companies
> sold actual cookbooks with recipes using their products. I bought a
> couple of Campbell's soup cookbooks back in the day. I don't think I
> ever cooked from them, but they were inexpensive and I was curious.

We cooked from them. The recipes worked very well. We enjoyed them. I
don't remember exactly when that was, but I know there were some years
when both my wife and I worked, and then a later time with little
babies, and the really crazy time with both.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 2:03 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:47:44 -0800, Dimitri wrote:
> > "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> >> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> >> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> >> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> >> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> >> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> >> up in "his" corner. But I digress.

> >> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> >> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"

> >> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> >> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> >> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> >> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> >> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> >> which of course is in this booklet.)

> >> So I'm out 50 cents :-)

> >> --
> >> Silvar Beitel

> > That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.

> > That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

> it's a wonder we haven't seen stories of people crushed to death under an
> avalanche of cookbooks, kinda like those you see about newspaper
> hoarders...
>
> your pal,
> blake

Hmmm. The Collyer brothers. E. L. Doctorow's latest,
_Homer_and_Langley_, is a pretty good read.

Having been the chosen one to clean out a relative's apartment after
she lived there for 27 years and never, ever threw anything away, to
the point where the only open spaces were narrow corridors between
ceiling-high stacks of stuff, and having filled the building's
dumpster to the brim several times over (it was only a one-bedroom
apartment!), I'm really sensitive to this!

Fortunately, my own place is many times bigger and won't fill up for
another five or ten years :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 1:29 pm, Becca > wrote:
> Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> > and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> > in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> > sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> > through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> > up in "his" corner. But I digress.

> Glad you found a few books. Our "Friends of the Library" get first
> choice, that is one of the advantages to being a volunteer.
>
> Becca

Thanks. The "Friends" should get all the books they want. Sorting
and stacking all those books and carting them over to the place where
they hold the event is major physical work!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:32:23 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >
> > Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?
> >

> Only if they come in cans!

I'm not above keeping a can of bread crumbs around the house, but
don't you also throw ends and pieces of bread in the food processor
and keep the crumbs in your freezer?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:38:55 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> The Trader Joe's version was made with real food, though I still
> wouldn't want to rely on it all the time. It was nice to have on hand
> for times when I didn't have time to fry up onions separately myself.
> The Durkees ones don't taste good to me, though.

I've only tried Durkee that one time and was surprised they were so
good. I'll get some Trader Joe's and keep it until next Thanksgiving,
which is when I'll make the green bean casserole again.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 4:44 pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Mar 12, 1:29 pm, Becca > wrote:
>
> > Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > > Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> > > and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> > > in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> > > sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> > > through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> > > up in "his" corner. But I digress.

> > Glad you found a few books. Our "Friends of the Library" get first
> > choice, that is one of the advantages to being a volunteer.

> > Becca

> Thanks. The "Friends" should get all the books they want. Sorting
> and stacking all those books and carting them over to the place where
> they hold the event is major physical work!

I do the same thing at my library's bag sales. You don't have time to
pay attention. I've come home with some odd stuff. On the other
hand, I once bought, on purpose, the White Castle cookbook. Wish I
still had it. Pretty awful, but good pictures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
>> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
>> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
>> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
>> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
>> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>>
>> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
>> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>>
>> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
>> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
>> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
>> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
>> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
>> which of course is in this booklet.)
>>
>> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.
>
> That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......
>

> --
> Dimitri
>
> Searing
>
> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

600 cookbooks? Rank amateur.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 4:44 pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:

>> > Glad you found a few books. Our "Friends of the Library" get first
>> > choice, that is one of the advantages to being a volunteer.

>> > Becca

>> Thanks. The "Friends" should get all the books they want. Sorting
>> and stacking all those books and carting them over to the place where
>> they hold the event is major physical work!

> I do the same thing at my library's bag sales. You don't have time to
> pay attention. I've come home with some odd stuff. On the other
> hand, I once bought, on purpose, the White Castle cookbook. Wish I
> still had it. Pretty awful, but good pictures.

I spent a whole whopping 10 cents on the SPAM cookbook......not that I would
intentionally WANT to cook great masterpieces with SPAM, but it did have the
whole script to the SPAM skit done by Monty Python...my Boy Scouts loved it.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 4:57 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:38:55 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>
> > wrote:
> > The Trader Joe's version was made with real food, though I still
> > wouldn't want to rely on it all the time. It was nice to have on hand
> > for times when I didn't have time to fry up onions separately myself.
> > The Durkees ones don't taste good to me, though.

> I've only tried Durkee that one time and was surprised they were so
> good. I'll get some Trader Joe's and keep it until next Thanksgiving,
> which is when I'll make the green bean casserole again.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

There is tradition. Things I wouldn't eat normally, but, at
Thanksgiving I want that crap mushroom soup caserole and cranberry
sauce shaped like the can. More topically, I'm just going to grab
whatever corned beef thing the local grocery has. Might be more
creative on Pi day, Sunday. A dinner pie and a desert one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>
> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>
> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> which of course is in this booklet.)
>
> So I'm out 50 cents :-)
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Damn. Don't remind me. I left the house 16 minutes late and
didn't find parking. Looped around several times. Same. So,
what other lots can one park in without being towed? I did see
some folks trotting elsewhere.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:32:23 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>

>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Can you just substitute buttered bread crumbs?
>> >

>> Only if they come in cans!

> I'm not above keeping a can of bread crumbs around the house, but
> don't you also throw ends and pieces of bread in the food processor
> and keep the crumbs in your freezer?

Of course!
\My point was that the recipe was a typical "take a can of this and a can of
that". It would have been easier to stick the whole lot in a blender and
eat the mess through a straw!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 4:57 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:38:55 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > The Trader Joe's version was made with real food, though I still
>> > wouldn't want to rely on it all the time. It was nice to have on hand
>> > for times when I didn't have time to fry up onions separately myself.
>> > The Durkees ones don't taste good to me, though.

>> I've only tried Durkee that one time and was surprised they were so
>> good. I'll get some Trader Joe's and keep it until next Thanksgiving,
>> which is when I'll make the green bean casserole again.
>>
>> --
>> I love cooking with wine.
>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

> There is tradition. Things I wouldn't eat normally, but, at
> Thanksgiving I want that crap mushroom soup caserole and cranberry
> sauce shaped like the can. More topically, I'm just going to grab
> whatever corned beef thing the local grocery has. Might be more
> creative on Pi day, Sunday. A dinner pie and a desert one.

Found a great recipe for a chicken pot pie. Let me know if you want
it.....Also, the sky is the limit for dessert.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks. Spent a whopping $9. I was
> in and out in ten minutes - you gotta work fast 'cause the used book
> sellers show up in force and practically inhale books - a guy picking
> through the cookbooks next to me already had at least 50 books stacked
> up in "his" corner. But I digress.
>
> There was a booklet called Quick and Easy Casseroles. "Over 100
> superb recipes! Most are ready to bake in 15 minutes or less!"
>
> Well, OK, I like casseroles, so I snarfed it up. On returning home, I
> noticed the can of Durkee French Fried Onions next to the dish on the
> cover picture. Sure enough, every one of those 100 recipes has Durkee
> French Fried Onions in it. (You know, those fairly disgusting canned
> things that top the "standard" Thanksgiving green bean casserole,
> which of course is in this booklet.)
>
> So I'm out 50 cents :-)

Such is life at used book sales. I volunteer at my church's used book
sale just so I can jump on the cookbook treasures before the used
booksellers get there. I love to watch them--it's like the old 1960's
game show, "Supermarket Sweep". I also donate my culled books to this
book sale, and enjoy seeing them getting snapped up by individuals.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
>> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks.

<snippidy>

>That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.
>
>That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

Those cookbook pushers are very crafty. First, they suck you in with
cheap cookbooks, then when you think you have control of it, they
offer cookbooks that are still cheap, but a little more expensive.
Next thing you know, you're in Barnes & Nobel *paying full price* for
esoteric cookbooks about filleting trout or making origami from phyllo
dough! It's insidious. Just ask Christine Dabney. Never seen a worse
case of cookbook addiction.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:50 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:
>
> > I was just laughing at myself for not realizing that it was one big
> > advertisement for Durkee when I grabbed it.

> Before the internet became the place for that sort of thing, companies
> sold actual cookbooks with recipes using their products. I bought a
> couple of Campbell's soup cookbooks back in the day. I don't think I
> ever cooked from them, but they were inexpensive and I was curious.

LOL! Got a book like that for free at the local community centre book
exchange (take one book, leave a book).

It's called 'Food From Famous Kitchens'. Subtitled 'The Brand Name
Cookbook'.

The first recipe the book opened up to: Avocado Dressing. The kitchen:
the Dow Chemical Company.
However, other than being a revolting (to me) recipe, there weren't any
strange chemicals in it. The 'ingredient' they supplied: Saran Wrap

There are edible recipes in there however.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:34:48 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:50 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I was just laughing at myself for not realizing that it was one big
> > > advertisement for Durkee when I grabbed it.

> > Before the internet became the place for that sort of thing, companies
> > sold actual cookbooks with recipes using their products. I bought a
> > couple of Campbell's soup cookbooks back in the day. I don't think I
> > ever cooked from them, but they were inexpensive and I was curious.
> >

> LOL! Got a book like that for free at the local community centre book
> exchange (take one book, leave a book).
>
> It's called 'Food From Famous Kitchens'. Subtitled 'The Brand Name
> Cookbook'.
>
> The first recipe the book opened up to: Avocado Dressing. The kitchen:
> the Dow Chemical Company.
> However, other than being a revolting (to me) recipe, there weren't any
> strange chemicals in it. The 'ingredient' they supplied: Saran Wrap

At least they didn't call it "Green Goddess" salad dressing. LOL

> There are edible recipes in there however.

Hey, I have two Campbell's cookbooks lurking in a box in the basement
(if they haven't been donated) I can trade for that your Brand Name
Cookbook.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:47:44 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> >> Went to my library's used book sale this morning, bright and early,
> >> and grabbed a small stack of cookbooks.

> <snippidy>
> >

> >That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.
> >
> >That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

> Those cookbook pushers are very crafty. First, they suck you in with
> cheap cookbooks, then when you think you have control of it, they
> offer cookbooks that are still cheap, but a little more expensive.
> Next thing you know, you're in Barnes & Nobel *paying full price* for
> esoteric cookbooks about filleting trout or making origami from phyllo
> dough! It's insidious. Just ask Christine Dabney. Never seen a worse
> case of cookbook addiction.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I CONFESS!!! I AM POWERLESS OVER MY ADDICTION!!! (And I'm not even
Christine or Ginny.) I got a recent reissue of Mastering the Art of
French Cooking, volume 2 from Central Market (Shoreline, WA) on Saturday
for $10. Jacket price $60. Life is good.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:41:51 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2:03 pm, blake murphy > wrote:

>>> That is a VERY DANGEROUS practice.

>>> That's how it starts - 600 cookbooks later......

>> it's a wonder we haven't seen stories of people crushed to death under an
>> avalanche of cookbooks, kinda like those you see about newspaper
>> hoarders...
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Hmmm. The Collyer brothers. E. L. Doctorow's latest,
> _Homer_and_Langley_, is a pretty good read.
>
> Having been the chosen one to clean out a relative's apartment after
> she lived there for 27 years and never, ever threw anything away, to
> the point where the only open spaces were narrow corridors between
> ceiling-high stacks of stuff, and having filled the building's
> dumpster to the brim several times over (it was only a one-bedroom
> apartment!), I'm really sensitive to this!
>
> Fortunately, my own place is many times bigger and won't fill up for
> another five or ten years :-)

i'm not exactly a hoarder, but without doubt more stuff comes into the
apartment than goes out. i can sympathize.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:34:48 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >

> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:20:50 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel

> > > Before the internet became the place for that sort of thing, companies
> > > sold actual cookbooks with recipes using their products. I bought a
> > > couple of Campbell's soup cookbooks back in the day. I don't think I
> > > ever cooked from them, but they were inexpensive and I was curious.
> > >

> > LOL! Got a book like that for free at the local community centre book
> > exchange (take one book, leave a book).
> >
> > It's called 'Food From Famous Kitchens'. Subtitled 'The Brand Name
> > Cookbook'.
> >
> > The first recipe the book opened up to: Avocado Dressing. The kitchen:
> > the Dow Chemical Company.
> > However, other than being a revolting (to me) recipe, there weren't any
> > strange chemicals in it. The 'ingredient' they supplied: Saran Wrap
> >

> At least they didn't call it "Green Goddess" salad dressing. LOL

No. Thinking that Green Goddess is something different. This contains
whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, avocado, orange rind and lemon
juice. Not quite certain why it's orange rind rather than lemon rind.

> > There are edible recipes in there however.

> Hey, I have two Campbell's cookbooks lurking in a box in the basement
> (if they haven't been donated) I can trade for that your Brand Name
> Cookbook.

NOnonononono! This is wonderfully weird. Macaroni and cheese with wheat
germ and a salad made of raspberry gelatine, raspberries (frozen),
whipping cream, cream cheese and marshmallows.

There was another book 'The Southern Cook Book'. Lacking any such tome,
picked that up too. Some edible recipes in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:44:05 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>Thanks. The "Friends" should get all the books they want. Sorting
>and stacking all those books and carting them over to the place where
>they hold the event is major physical work!

Before we moved, I culled my cookbooks and took the culls to the
public library for re-sale. Got rid of *all* the Martha Stewart that
non-foodie friends and family had given me. Is that considered library
abuse?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

Wine Library TV modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 10 12-09-2009 04:05 AM
Book for sale Henry Patton Beer 0 29-03-2005 10:28 AM
King Arthur Baker's Companion Book On Sale! A.Pismo Clam Baking 0 14-01-2004 03:32 AM
Funny old book Bob Pastorio Historic 10 15-10-2003 08:54 PM