Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandwiches

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Bob Terwilliger" >
posted on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:00:05 -0700 the following:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > I just couldn't get today's politicians out of my head, who so often seem
> > like they're so out of touch with what average, everday people really want
> > to happen in the country and the world.

> I'm not sure of that at all: I think it's more that they only *use* that
> information if it means getting votes.
>
> > They're looking more like an oligarchy than a government /for/ the people.

> Looks more like a plutocracy to me.

Both, actually. The power is in the hands of a few, and they are the
wealthiest among us, government by the few wealthy through the proxy of
elected politicians. And appointed ones are obviously cherrypicked for
their views.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Dan Abel > posted on Wed, 17 Mar
2010 22:10:00 -0700 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> > in all aspects of life.

> Sounds nice, but where are the people who are born to:
>
> 1. clean sewers

That's a tough one to answer. If you mean underground, clogged,
crap-filled passageways, yes, I'd say it needs to be done. At the same
time, look at where we came from. We've only been flying around in
airplanes for a little over a hundred years. Capitalism still rules the
roost in America, and under capitalism, people who do things are always
looking for ways to save money. Technologies can be invented that makes
it unecessary for anyone to do that kind of work. For example, if we have
garbage disposals for the kitchen sink, why not make a similar apparatus
for each toilet? Certainly you don't want the blades to frappe your waste
while it's still in the bowl, but put the mechanism in some other part of
the house. Everything is then liquified before it enters the sewer
system. Install sewer flushers, too, that would make sure erosion does
the job of keeping everything pumped out of there.

That's not to say that nobody would ever have to wade through the sewers,
but I dunno... Maybe the system could be set up so that people who really
do the nastiest work get some kind of extra benefit. Hell, the way it is
now, people make millions and billions of dollars for not doing much of
anything at all except throwing their vast amounts of money around. So if
we reversed that where people who slop the sewers made more money than the
currently-wealthy fatcats who make their millions sitting on seaside
patios and sipping margaritas, I think life would look more just and
rewarding than it does now.

> 2. deliver mail (in the rain)

There's really no /need/ for physically delivered mail, as far as bills,
advertisements, and other paper communications go. Every home could be
outfitted with a mail printer. Then the only objects that would need
delivering would be things you can't expect a printer to spit out, like a
coffeemaker or a set of dishes. Those don't have to be delivered in the
rain.

> 3. drive trucks long distances and never see their family

Some people like that. I've talked to many couples who say they like
doing their long hauls together, but the price of fuel has made it less
pleasant for them.

> 4. staff the complaint department

Many complaints are caused by cutting corners in production. If products
and services were of a higher level of quality, there wouldn't be as many
complaints. But it costs more money to produce quality, so quality is
sacrificed to keep costs down. <sarcasm> Yay for capitalism! </sarcasm>

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Opportunity

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:03:08 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
>> You know what they say: When a door closes, a window opens.

> That's what stockbrokers were saying in 1929. And the window was usually on
> the sixth floor or higher.
>
> Bob

<http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jumpyoufackersuo1.jpg>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 1:12*pm, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:54*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> > making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.

> > The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> > butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.

> > Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
> > on the top slice of bread.

> > So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
> > of sourdough.

> > My oh my what a pleasant change.

> Beef loves butter. *Pork loves lard. *It only stands to reason.
>
> Assuming you could milk a pig (and I'd be running away as fast as I
> could),
> I wonder what use could be made of the milk. *We'll probably never
> know.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The butter idea sounds marvelous. I'm definitely going to try that out
next time. If I have unsalted butter, think I could just sprinkle a
bit on top?

And the beef/butter versus pork/lard idea makes a lot of sense. I'll
keep that in mind. =)

--
triolus

tea and sandwiches? Ole Kvaal Tea 36 15-09-2019 10:15 AM
50 Sandwiches to Eat before you Die BigBadBubba General Cooking 179 05-11-2010 04:59 PM
Recipe: Beef Sandwiches - Knock-off of Damsel's Chicago Beef Sandwiches Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 1 08-07-2007 06:52 PM
Ham Pan Sandwiches Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-02-2007 11:52 AM
Ice Cream Sandwiches Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:21 PM