Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas For A Deli Menu

A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
Thank You
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 > wrote:

>A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
>to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
>sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
>profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
will beat a path to your friend's store.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Anthony 527 > wrote:

> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

Cheeses.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:13:13 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Anthony 527 > wrote:
>
>>A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
>>to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
>>sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
>>profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

> Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
> will beat a path to your friend's store.

Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.

I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
The markup on all those is pretty good.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

My favorite deli had great sandwiches that people would come
from miles around to order. They had their signature crusty bread
and they had a nice assortment of salads you could order with it.
(sandwich menu follows) Then they had some great baked goods,
and it was a great place to grab a cup of coffee and a muffin or whatever.

I say had because the place burned down last fall, but they're still
in the catering business. I hope they reopen their deli. But I'd say
the catering side would be profitable, too. Just a thought.

SIGNATURE SANDWICH ASSORTMENT
An assortment of sandwiches from our signature sandwich list, with choice of
potato salad, cole slaw or pasta salad
$7.75 per person

SIGNATURE SANDWICHES
Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella, roasted sweet peppers & romaine lettuce
with basil pesto on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

#2 Black Forest ham & Jarlsberg swiss cheese with whole grain mustard & red
leaf lettuce on Italian peasant bread
$5.75

Sloppy Joe; A combination of corned beef & pastrami, our own homemade cole
slaw & Russian dressing on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

Albacore tuna salad with sliced red onions, sprouts & grated carrots on
croissant or Italian peasant bread
$6.00

Roast beef & aurichio provolone with sliced tomato, romaine lettuce &
horseradish mayonnaise on Italian peasant bread
$6.50

Tarragon chicken salad with bacon, red leaf lettuce & tomato on
Italianpeasant bread
$6.50

Sliced chicken breast with cucumber slices, tomato, red leaf lettuce &
Dijon mayonnaise on Italian peasant bread
$6.00

Fresh mozzarella & aurichio provolone with roasted peppers, basil pesto &
romaine lettuce on Italian peasant bread
$6.25

Oven roasted turkey breast with relish and romaine lettuce on Italian
peasant bread
$6.00

Genoa salami, cappacola, provolone, pastrami, romaine lettuce & Italian
vinaigrette on French baguette
$6.75

grilled vegetable sandwich; an array of seasonal grilled vegetables such
as zucchini, eggplant, red onions, portabella mushrooms & roasted sweet
peppers splashed with balsamic vinegar on our very ownpesto dressed focaccia
$6.25
$6.50 with cheese

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > writes:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:13:13 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Anthony 527 > wrote:
>>
>>>A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
>>>to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
>>>sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
>>>profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

>> Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
>> will beat a path to your friend's store.

> Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.
>
> I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
> burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
> The markup on all those is pretty good.
>
> -sw
>
> -sw

Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.

I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony 527" > wrote in message
>A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

An assortment of different Chili.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bogbrush" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > writes:

>>> Pozole. Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
>>> will beat a path to your friend's store.

>> Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.
>>
>> I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
>> burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
>> The markup on all those is pretty good.
>>
>> -sw
>>
>> -sw

> Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.
>
> I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

Every thread I have seen responded to by this poster has nothing of value to
add, merely a flaming insult to whomever has answered prior. Here's one for
you Boggie.........a couple of years ago, the BBC had a show on called MI-5.
An undercover agent was 'found out' and they stuck him head first into the
deep fat fryer.....try it to yourself, you might like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony 527" > wrote in message
>A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

panini, cubans, other types of 'grilled' sandwiches. A number of years ago,
I worked at a coffee shoppe. The sandwiches we had that could be served
either grilled or cold were the biggest sellers.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 12:13*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Anthony 527 > wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> >to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> >sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> >profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

> Pozole. *Keep a bubbling pot of it going and the world
> will beat a path to your friend's store.
>
> Steve

That's probably regional. Nobody around here knows what pozole
is. I'm a foodie, and I had to look it up.

For the OP:

Decent salads. Potato salad, cole slaw. Not too much sugar.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

One thing that has been going over very well in this area is wraps.
Easy to make especially since this is already a deli. Just a small
sandwich board/station would be all that is needed.

There is a chain that is going great guns called RolyPoly Sandwiches.
http://www.rolypoly.com/ It is an interesting idea and the local place
seems to be doing very well.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 12:01*am, Anthony 527 > wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

Decent sandwiches on non-collapsible bread or rolls.

Important to have friendly, prompt service and plenty of coverage
during the lunch hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

Really good coffee. Find a local coffee roaster,
so that the beans are always fresh. That makes
a huge difference.

Espresso is another possibility, but requires
some amount of skill and experience, even when
a highly automated machine is used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:10:15 -0500, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "Bogbrush" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz > writes:

>>> Maybe you wuld but I couldn't.
>>>
>>> I would suggest fried foods. Fried potato wedges, those cheap
>>> burritos, chicken wings, gizzards (cooked for at last 12 minutes).
>>> The markup on all those is pretty good.

>> Brilliant : dirty, greasy, smelly, work intensive and a fire risk.
>>
>> I dont think it would be possible to come up with a worse idea.

> Every thread I have seen responded to by this poster has nothing of value to
> add, merely a flaming insult to whomever has answered prior.

Aww, shucks. And here I was hoping it was something personal
against just me. You mean I have to share him with everybody else?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:13:03 -0600, Andy wrote:

> Tell 'em Andy sent ya and they'll for sure charge ya double!

And force you to get "to go".

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 10, 9:01 pm, Anthony 527 > wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

Although I am surrounded by grocery stores, restaurants, taquerias and
fast food joints there is no deli anywhere near my neighborhood, so I
can tell you what I think of when I wish we had one, and that's
quality. I can get cold cuts at the supermarket, so the deli should
offer better quality ones, especially the corned beef and the
pastrami. Offer a good variety of traditional breads, including a
good rye and a pumpernickel. National brand bagels suck and the one
(maybe two) places in L.A. that make good ones is not close, so the
deli should go there and get them for me. Have a jar of pickled eggs
on the counter along with the very best dill pickles you can find (or
make).

Want to offer something different? Make slaw from Brussels sprouts
(as Sheldon sometimes mentions); it's distinctive and really good.

Put a suggestion box out for the first six months and ask people to
tell you what they want you to stock. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 11:35*am, bulka > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 10:39 am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 11, 12:01 am, Anthony 527 > wrote:

> > > A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> > > to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> > > sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> > > profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> > > Thank You

> > Decent sandwiches on non-collapsible bread or rolls.

> > Important to have friendly, prompt service and plenty of coverage
> > during the lunch hour.

> Sounds like a great idea. *Where are you? *What is the local market?
> Around here, suburban Detroit, I can get a slice of pizza at any gas
> station or "party store", but can't find an Italian Beef or decent hot
> dog. *Have the option of a generic American, a "Nathan's" with grilled
> onion, a Detroit "Coney" with chili, a propper Chicago with a salad.

You're in Detroit, dude. A "Coney" is what's proper here.

> What I would like in a local deli, and can't find even in the larger
> groceries, is ethnic jarred stuff - they keep well, so you wouldn't
> have to move a lot of product. *I imagine there is a good mark-up, and
> once people know you are there, you would be a destination. * Kim Chi,

Kim chee is "alive", so I wouldn't say it keeps well. I've only seen
it
under refrigration.

> Tahini, Tarama, grape leaves, dried little snack fishes. *Once you get
> customers, ask them what they want, then find a distributor and invest
> in a case. *You'll be known as the place to go for the stuff they
> can't get anywhere else, and they won't go anywhere else.

Too specialized for a deli. Go to some of the hundreds of ethnic
groceries in the Detroit area.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 1:25 pm, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Mar 11, 11:35 am, bulka > wrote:

> > > Decent sandwiches on non-collapsible bread or rolls.

> > > Important to have friendly, prompt service and plenty of coverage
> > > during the lunch hour.

> > Sounds like a great idea. Where are you? What is the local market?
> > Around here, suburban Detroit, I can get a slice of pizza at any gas
> > station or "party store", but can't find an Italian Beef or decent hot
> > dog. Have the option of a generic American, a "Nathan's" with grilled
> > onion, a Detroit "Coney" with chili, a propper Chicago with a salad.

> You're in Detroit, dude. A "Coney" is what's proper here.
>
> > What I would like in a local deli, and can't find even in the larger
> > groceries, is ethnic jarred stuff - they keep well, so you wouldn't
> > have to move a lot of product. I imagine there is a good mark-up, and
> > once people know you are there, you would be a destination. Kim Chi,

> Kim chee is "alive", so I wouldn't say it keeps well. I've only seen
> it
> under refrigration.
>
> > Tahini, Tarama, grape leaves, dried little snack fishes. Once you get
> > customers, ask them what they want, then find a distributor and invest
> > in a case. You'll be known as the place to go for the stuff they
> > can't get anywhere else, and they won't go anywhere else.

> Too specialized for a deli. Go to some of the hundreds of ethnic
> groceries in the Detroit area.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Kim Chee is saurkraut. A preserve. A pickle. When I couldn't find
it I learned to make it. In the pantry for many months and I ain't
dead yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 10, 9:01*pm, Anthony 527 > wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

I think first your friend has to decide what kind of deli he
wants......New York style? kosher? limited menu? soup and
sandwich ?

I owned a deli for 13 years, mine was breakfast and lunch but we were
not the kosher New York style deli, we had
table service, full breakfast, and a fairly extensive lunch menu with
lunch specials, etc.

It all depends on the neighborhood, the location, and what your
friends wants to accomplish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:03:08 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Mar 10, 9:01 pm, Anthony 527 > wrote:
>> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
>> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
>> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
>> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
>> Thank You

>Although I am surrounded by grocery stores, restaurants, taquerias and
>fast food joints there is no deli anywhere near my neighborhood, so I
>can tell you what I think of when I wish we had one, and that's
>quality. I can get cold cuts at the supermarket, so the deli should
>offer better quality ones, especially the corned beef and the
>pastrami. Offer a good variety of traditional breads, including a
>good rye and a pumpernickel. National brand bagels suck and the one
>(maybe two) places in L.A. that make good ones is not close, so the
>deli should go there and get them for me. Have a jar of pickled eggs
>on the counter along with the very best dill pickles you can find (or
>make).
>
>Want to offer something different? Make slaw from Brussels sprouts
>(as Sheldon sometimes mentions); it's distinctive and really good.
>
>Put a suggestion box out for the first six months and ask people to
>tell you what they want you to stock. -aem

What you really want is an Appy.

http://www.russanddaughters.com/whatisappetizing.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 2:16*pm, bulka > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 1:25 pm, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:

> > > Sounds like a great idea. *Where are you? *What is the local market?
> > > Around here, suburban Detroit, I can get a slice of pizza at any gas
> > > station or "party store", but can't find an Italian Beef or decent hot
> > > dog. *Have the option of a generic American, a "Nathan's" with grilled
> > > onion, a Detroit "Coney" with chili, a propper Chicago with a salad.

> > You're in Detroit, dude. * A "Coney" is what's proper here.

> > > What I would like in a local deli, and can't find even in the larger
> > > groceries, is ethnic jarred stuff - they keep well, so you wouldn't
> > > have to move a lot of product. *I imagine there is a good mark-up, and
> > > once people know you are there, you would be a destination. * Kim Chi,

> > Kim chee is "alive", so I wouldn't say it keeps well. *I've only seen
> > it
> > under refrigration.

> > > Tahini, Tarama, grape leaves, dried little snack fishes. *Once you get
> > > customers, ask them what they want, then find a distributor and invest
> > > in a case. *You'll be known as the place to go for the stuff they
> > > can't get anywhere else, and they won't go anywhere else.

> > Too specialized for a deli. *Go to some of the hundreds of ethnic
> > groceries in the Detroit area.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Kim Chee is saurkraut. *A preserve. *A pickle. * When I couldn't find
> it I learned to make it. * In the pantry for many months and I ain't
> dead yet.

How pleasant for you. I wouldn't take such unnecessary chances with
my wellbeing. I'm far too valuable.

I keep kraut and kimchee in the fridge, just as it's sold in the
store.
Even the Korean grocery keeps it in the fridge.

The kimchee is a little fizzy; I wouldn't want to keep it in the
pantry.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

There are Jewish-style delis, German-style delis, and Italian-style delis.

What I see being discussed here, for the most part, is an upgrade to a
convenience store sandwich shop.

This is a real deli:

http://www.katzdeli.com/presentation.html

Ratner's Dairy Deli, sadly, is closed.

Carnegie Deli isn't bad:

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/menu.php

Those are delis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:43:05 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> My favorite deli had great sandwiches that people would come
> from miles around to order. They had their signature crusty bread
> and they had a nice assortment of salads you could order with it.

One place I worked at had an Italian owned deli across the street.
They would bring out trays of freshly baked chickens between 11:30 and
12:00 daily. People lined up for those (warm) chicken sandwiches, the
meat was always sooo juicy and delicious! I'd order mine on a length
of sourdough baguette. Each day, they had a different home made pasta
and polenta with gravy on Wednesday. Everyone knew what day their
favorite item was being served. Oh, man... that deli was a gem!

Later, I worked across the street from a small grocery with a deli
counter. The proprietors were from Jordan. I'd tell them about the
Italian place every so often. They finally took the hint and made
their own delicacies, which was what really drew in the customers. I
loved their falafel sandwiches! I just ate at Falafel Drive In
(featured on Diner's Drive In's and Dives) this week and although
their falafels were very good, their over all sandwich wasn't as good
as the little corner store's. Falafel Drive In had an extremely
efficient way to keep a long line of customers moving though. Glasses
of water were prepared and ready to go, not sure how they handled the
banana shakes but the sandwiches were made to order. There was only
one window, but they moved the line.

So, along with the usual deli items, I think specialty items offered
once a week on a regular basis is the way to keep customers interested
and returning.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:10:15 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> Every thread I have seen responded to by this poster has nothing of value to
> add, merely a flaming insult to whomever has answered prior.

Funny how this poster has to reincarnate to be seen after being killed
by everyone it tries to insult, but can't manage to change
personalities.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Popeye wrote:
> There are Jewish-style delis, German-style delis, and Italian-style delis.
>
> What I see being discussed here, for the most part, is an upgrade to a
> convenience store sandwich shop.
>
> This is a real deli:
>

> http://www.katzdeli.com/presentation.html

The first time I was in Katz's I was probably still in diapers. Back
then, it wasn't famous or anything (at least not to us), It was just
where we went to lunch when we were in the area... which was often.

I don't get back to the city very often any more, but every time I do,
we make a stop at Katz's. Walking through the door is like walking
through a time portal into the past.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Anthony 527 > wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> >to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> >sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> >profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.

Your friend needs to look at the area and get a feel for the
customers. Will he be serving warehousemen or office workers? Will
they drive in/past or will he have foot traffic? Better information
about the area would help him drive his business.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:39:52 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Important to have friendly, prompt service and plenty of coverage
> during the lunch hour.

Service is so important. The place I ate at earlier in the week had
only one guy at the window and a long line. That's the way they
operate. They've got a *lot* of people working in back to crank out
the orders and the overall wait is very short. The guy at the window
was upbeat and cheery. While I was eating, I heard a problem with a
transaction... the card didn't go through for some reason. Turned out
the customer had used a credit card and not a debit card, but the man
at the window apologized to the customer even though (IMO) it was the
customer's fault. Apologize and keep the line moving... NEXT!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> So, along with the usual deli items, I think specialty items offered
> once a week on a regular basis is the way to keep customers interested
> and returning.

I agree with this totally... Specialty items served on set days really
can make a difference! The Taqueria down the street from me for instance
only serves Barbacoa on weekends. People DO line up for them. It is
wonderful.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I think first your friend has to decide what kind of deli he
> wants......New York style? kosher? limited menu? soup and
> sandwich ?
>
> I owned a deli for 13 years, mine was breakfast and lunch but we were
> not the kosher New York style deli, we had
> table service, full breakfast, and a fairly extensive lunch menu with
> lunch specials, etc.
>
> It all depends on the neighborhood, the location, and what your
> friends wants to accomplish.

One of my favorite places to go to has a simple menu. Each day of the
week has a soup of the day (Chili, Chicken Noodle, Dutch Split Pea,
Potato..can't remember any others) and a selection of about 6
sandwiches. The bread is dense, chewey rye or sourdough or something
equally interesting. You can get a cup or bowl of soup and either a half
or whole sandwich, and some great "sunshine tea" (aka an Arnold Palmer,
half sweet tea and half lemonade) to wash it down with. The simplicity
of the menu with the high quality of the food makes this place a long
standing success.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The kimchee is a little fizzy; I wouldn't want to keep it in the
> pantry.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL, they sure do in Korea without worry. My old Korean neighbors buried
it in the backyard as is traditional. Kimchi (like sauerkraut)doesn't
require refrigeration while it is doing its "thing"... but it makes it
more pleasant perhaps for others to keep it there and keeps the smell
down. I'm sure as soon as the public health department gets involved
they insist, but that doesn't make it necessary.
Wasn't there an article a couple of years ago about how almost all
Chinese restaurants in Chinatown in SF struggle to pass their health
department inspection because the traditional cooking practices are so
alien to inspectors? Yet people aren't getting sick from them. The
cooking methods and ingredients are just so...different!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

A cheese platter? Chili? Nachos topped with taco meat (or spiced
chicken), jalapenos, olives, chopped tomato, onion and melted cheese.
Buffalo wings? Chopped-garlic-topped fries?

It depends very much on where geographically he is located and the
cooking methods available. (I have never heard of a "liquor store deli"
combination.)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> What I would like in a local deli, and can't find even in the larger
> groceries, is ethnic jarred stuff -

> dried little snack fishes.

Omigod, you had me till that line. I've had some kind of stomach
flu (for want of a better term)with nausea for a few days and your
little fishes made my tummy do flip-flops, not in a good way.
:-P

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> One of my favorite places to go to has a simple menu. Each day of the
> week has a soup of the day (Chili, Chicken Noodle, Dutch Split Pea,
> Potato..can't remember any others) and a selection of about 6
> sandwiches. The bread is dense, chewey rye or sourdough or something
> equally interesting. You can get a cup or bowl of soup and either a half
> or whole sandwich, and some great "sunshine tea" (aka an Arnold Palmer,
> half sweet tea and half lemonade) to wash it down with. The simplicity
> of the menu with the high quality of the food makes this place a long
> standing success.

Years ago we went back to my hometown and, in the renovated waterfront
and commercial fishing district, found a very small historic house with
a restaurant that had a very limited menu--two each: soups, sandwiches,
salads, and desserts. The selections changed every day and everything
was made "in house". It was VERY good, and the place and outdoor patio
seating were filled with a mix of tourists, local merchants, lawyers
from the nearby courthouses, and retired folk.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 4:37 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Anthony 527 wrote:
> > A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> > to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> > sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> > profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> > Thank You

> A cheese platter? Chili? Nachos topped with taco meat (or spiced
> chicken), jalapenos, olives, chopped tomato, onion and melted cheese.
> Buffalo wings? Chopped-garlic-topped fries?
>
> It depends very much on where geographically he is located and the
> cooking methods available. (I have never heard of a "liquor store deli"
> combination.)
> gloria p

Visit Detroit. Our "party stores" don't sell balloons. Not what you
would call a real deli, either, but the food varies with the place.

Drifting here, but . . .stopped for pizza on a road trip from NYC
years ago. This joint was set up in four parts - two storefronts,
joined at the back. One side was a package liquor store in front,
with a bar in the back. The other side was flourescent-lit take-out
sandwiches and slices in front; sit-down, checkered-tablecloth pasta
italiano in the back. I forget what kind of running around the server
had to do when we wanted wine with our meal. I think the pie came
from right-front, booze from left-rear, our table had a chianti bottle
with a candle.

Liquor laws are just wierd.

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> Visit Detroit. Our "party stores" don't sell balloons. Not what you
> would call a real deli, either, but the food varies with the place.

Funny. I remember driving around the Novi area, looking for a
place that sold wine to bring to dinner. Dang, people here must
have a lot of parties, don't they drink??

Figured it out eventually, needless to say where I live, party stores
sell balloons and rents tents, etc.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony 527 wrote:

> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

That is going to depend very much on where the deli is. New Yorkers
would expect different products than Californians.

If nothing else, things that won't spoil easily.

Go have a look at the local equivalent of 7-11. They are usually pretty
good as stocking snacks people want. Then take it upmarket if the locale
warrants it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 11, 11:45 am, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> What you really want is an Appy.
>
> http://www.russanddaughters.com/whatisappetizing.php

Sounds wonderful. If we had a place like that I'd be in there several
times a week. -aem
Banned

I like food such as rice, meet and so many
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Anthony 527 wrote:
> >
> > A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> > to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> > sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> > profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> > Thank You

> That is going to depend very much on where the deli is. New Yorkers
> would expect different products than Californians.
>
> If nothing else, things that won't spoil easily.
>
> Go have a look at the local equivalent of 7-11. They are usually pretty
> good as stocking snacks people want. Then take it upmarket if the locale
> warrants it.

Good point. A customer base that's mostly Jewish will expect a deli to
sell different items than Italians, Germans, or Russians would. Me? I
like cucumber salad, kasha and bow ties, slightly vinegary macaroni
salad, and tomato salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:55:01 -0500, JohnTyler
> wrote:

> I like food such as rice, meet and so many

It would be nice if you could learn to spell a basic word like *meat*.